Author Topic: Terminator franchise  (Read 8729 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Terminator franchise
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Terminator franchise
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 03:31:13 PM »
 Looks even more mental

And just as a warning, there's a pretty big spoiling in the trailer, so if you're avoiding them, then it might be better to sit this one out.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:42:04 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
Well that was thoroughly confusing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online ozzy554

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:02:36 PM »
I'm actually looking forward to the new movie. With all the time traveling in the series it's not surprising that the timeline gets messed up. It's premise sounds like a pretty good way to reboot the series. I know it's not going to be anywhere close to T2 but it still looks like it could be a really fun movie.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »
I'm actually looking forward to the new movie. With all the time traveling in the series it's not surprising that the timeline gets messed up. It's premise sounds like a pretty good way to reboot the series. I know it's not going to be anywhere close to T2 but it still looks like it could be a really fun movie.

My thoughts exactly.
The new trailer is very spoilery, although maybe it's an intentional red herring from editing? Or maybe it really is that straight-forward.

I mostly like what they're doing for this movie so far. No movie will live up to T1/2 at this point, and I don't expect it to. I just want a good action movie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 02:13:24 AM »
I put Terminator Genisys in the same hype-category as I do Jurassic World. I think it'll be fine, an okay movie, but not one I will really remember or talk about much after it's out.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 02:23:59 PM »
Can someone explain to me how T2 is good? I liked the original, but have thought all the rest were garbage.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
Can someone explain to me how T2 is good? I liked the original, but have thought all the rest were garbage.

:|.........……

Judgement Day is the best them.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
Next to The Godfather, T2 is my favorite film ever made.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »
Next to The Godfather, T2 is my favorite film ever made.
Yeah but why? I'm not just trying to be a dick I really want to know why people like it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »
Great action, story, characters, acting... Have you actually seen it?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 10:27:10 PM »
This is like asking why pizza is great, or ice cream, or sex. If you need it explained, it's probably not worth trying. :lol

The story, the performances, the exciting action sequences, landmark visual effects, just everything.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 10:55:54 PM »
What everyone else said. While the first one was good, T2 was superior in almost every respect. I only remember bits and pieces because I was too young, but my dad and I went to the filming of the big Cyberdyne building explosion sequence near my hometown.  :corn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 05:42:25 AM »
Terminator 3 on the other hand - total cack.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 06:28:16 AM »
This is like asking why pizza is great, or ice cream, or sex. If you need it explained, it's probably not worth trying. :lol
This exactly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:06 AM »
I thought T3's story was interesting however I really think they cast the wrong actor for John Connor. To me he did not show the same presence as Ed Furlong for the part. T salvation was just god awful, cautious about Genysis. T1 & T2 are classics.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 08:45:24 AM »
Just so that I have said it at least once in this new thread: I really like Salvation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »
Just so that I have said it at least once in this new thread: I really like Salvation.
TBH, I haven't seen it, so I can't comment one way or the other.

But you are almost the only person I've seen who likes it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
I only saw it once at the movies, and I didn't hate it. But I wouldn't say I liked it either. As much as I wanted to hate the very existence of T3 on principle, I don't mind it at all. It's not bad at all, as unnecessary as it was.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 10:36:55 AM »
T3 is a bit silly, but yeah, I don't really mind it either.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »
I only saw it once at the movies, and I didn't hate it. But I wouldn't say I liked it either. As much as I wanted to hate the very existence of T3 on principle, I don't mind it at all. It's not bad at all, as unnecessary as it was.

Pretty much all of this. 

As far as Salvation, it was fine.  The one thing that I remember bugging me was just the simple incongruity of the "eel" terminators in the creek/river/whatever just outside Connors base, but the machines somehow not figuring out that his base was there and that if they launched an all-out attack against it, they could pretty much cripple the resistance in one shot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »
Terminator: Genisys

AWESOME! It felt 'real'. It felt 'honest'. It wasn't cheesy. The throwback references were awesome. Sarah Connor looked and acted like Sarah Connor. Totally check this one out, man, I'm blown away.

Also, if you can be spoiler-free for this or any future movie you want to see, I highly recommend it. It's so refreshing to not know what's going to happen It takes self-control to avoid commercials and stuff but the reward is well worth it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 10:36:35 PM »
Terminator: Genisys

AWESOME! It felt 'real'. It felt 'honest'. It wasn't cheesy. The throwback references were awesome. Sarah Connor looked and acted like Sarah Connor. Totally check this one out, man, I'm blown away.

Also, if you can be spoiler-free for this or any future movie you want to see, I highly recommend it. It's so refreshing to not know what's going to happen It takes self-control to avoid commercials and stuff but the reward is well worth it.

I agree. I had very low expectations, but I was surprised by how good it was. Not perfect, but I thought it was a worthy addition to the franchise, much more so than 3 and 4. The trailer does give away too much, but assuming people have seen those, it doesn't spoil much of the actual story.

Most of the throwbacks felt natural with the retelling of the timeline (and they even fixed up that inconsistency between the speech in T1 and T2), with maybe only one or two very minor ones that were on the nose. There was plenty of attention to detail that you might not notice unless you're freshly familiar with T1/2. I'm also glad they used their one F-word for the street punk scene. :lol

There were some plot points that didn't make much sense or weren't explained in detail, but there was also a lot of well written stuff that tried to tie the movies and timelines together into one big continuity, which I thought was pretty ambitious, and was really enjoyable as a fan.

As I said in the movie thread, the casting wasn't all good, and the CGI wasn't great, but the story really felt like an honest attempt at making a true Terminator movie, and not just a throwaway cash-in like T3 imo (although I actually enjoy T3 unlike most people).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »
Just read a local review giving it one star (out of 5 ) , so good to hear some positive vibes.  I'll be seeing it this coming week I hope.   I think I need to take Blob's advice and watch 1 & 2 first -  I feel like I need the deep voice at the start "Previously..........on Terminator"
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 10:51:36 PM »
Just read a local review giving it one star (out of 5 ) , so good to hear some positive vibes.  I'll be seeing it this coming week I hope.   I think I need to take Blob's advice and watch 1 & 2 first -  I feel like I need the deep voice at the start "Previously..........on Terminator"

I had low expectations based on general reviews, and I don't know what their specific issues were with the movie, but I liked it from start to finish. It did rely on a general knowledge of the first two movies to really appreciate what they were trying to do, and it was a fast moving scifi movie that could be confusing if you're not into time travel stories, so it's clearly not going to be for everyone. And if you're particularly fussy, there is plenty to nitpick too.

But did I enjoy it? Hell yeah. Would I watch it again? Hell yeah.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 01:08:46 AM »
When I heard the trailers were spoilery, I didn't watch them. What bothers me though is that even though I didn't see the trailers, it seemed as if people just couldn't stop themselves from giving it away anyways. Like, way too obvious article titles with an image that just spoiled the entire thing. Or clearly stating in their SPOILER FREE REVIEW what the trailers gave away. Annoys the shit out of me. I can't stay spoiler free even if I try.

I don't think I'll bother with this one in the theaters, I'll wait for the blu-ray.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 02:49:35 AM »
Yeah, critics don't seem to be taken with it at all. Digital Spy, which is a pretty geeky website, absolutely hated it and gave it 1 star as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 03:24:02 AM »
It's also why I never read reviews or check out critics... if it's a movie I really want to see I want to see it for myself and make my own decisions about whether or not I enjoyed it.  I think too many people rely on and/or believe whatever some critic has to say and will go on that rather than trust themselves.  They say stuff like "hey, I'd rather listen to what they say and if they didn't like it and save two hours and $20", which I think is sad.

There's risk in everything, if it's a movie you want to see then just go for it, if you're on the fence I still say go for it, but if you just don't plan on seeing it then go ahead and spoil away.

Art is art, be it movies, music, literature, etc and it should be up to each individual person whether or not they like something, not basing it on what others think.

Trying to be spoiler-free is kind of fun... and empowering.  Like, "oh look, a commercial for Terminator is just starting" <changes channel> "ahhhhhhhh..."  I almost get an adrenaline rush cuz it's not really an easy thing to do when you're really interested in something.  BUT THEN... seeing the actual movie and being almost completely unsure of what's going to happen is even more thrilling.

My biggest challenge and Holy Grail will be trying to avoid spoilers for The Force Awakens.  There's just too many social media sources where people will blurt stuff out without thinking.  To make it worse, I play the Star Wars MMO "The Old Republic" which is all about that Star Wars.  I may have to /ignore the entire game population two months before the movie comes out.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 07:43:12 AM »
It's also why I never read reviews or check out critics...
Oh absolutely, I'm exactly the same, and as many of us have discussed at length in another thread, whether a piece of art is good or not comes very much down to personal opinion and preference. In this case, I was just interested to see what they said because they had the 1-star rating in the headline for the article.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »
Cool.  Let me know what you think after you see it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »
Hoping to see it this weekend.  jingle.son and I are just about to load up The Terminator in a few minutes; we'll to T2 tomorrow or Saturday, then take in Genesys Sunday perhaps.  I'm really pissed they gave away the big John Connor 'spoiler' in the trailers.  WTF did they do that for?  That would've been the biggest f'n twist ever if you didn't know about it.  Talk about a blown opportunity.

@ Blob... I too am totally fine with T3.  Heck, I like Salvation too - other than the fact I can't stand Worthington as an actor.  I thought the story was just fine.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »
Hoping to see it this weekend.  jingle.son and I are just about to load up The Terminator in a few minutes; we'll to T2 tomorrow or Saturday, then take in Genesys Sunday perhaps.  I'm really pissed they gave away the big John Connor 'spoiler' in the trailers.  WTF did they do that for?  That would've been the biggest f'n twist ever if you didn't know about it.  Talk about a blown opportunity.

They did the same thing with Salvation. Would have been an amazing twist... Until you put some thought into it and think back to all the times he took damage only a robot could survive.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 11:15:15 PM »

They held it back in the very first trailers, and then just gave that away entirely. It was bad advertising. It's not like they didn't have enough Terminators for the trailers without it, and it's such a big turning point to the story.
It almost had me wondering if the movie was going to have anything cool that wasn't given away in the trailer, but it didn't hurt the movie for me, it just took away that surprise.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 01:41:53 AM »
I liked Salvation a lot.  I'll tell you where T3 got destroyed for me (spoilers)...

1)  In the beginning when Arnold steals the truck, he goes to break the ignition, but then "remembers" the keys-in-the-visor trick.  This is a different Arnold, the one from T2 is melted, so there's no way this one could know that.  DISCLAIMER:  Ok, whatever, MAYBE it's got newer software version that got patched with this information in it (if no key then check visor else smash it), so I can MAYBE forget this one.

2)  This is the real facepalm moment.  Arnold is driving the truck and John is in the passenger seat:

John:     Don't you remember me?  Blowing up Cyberdyne?  Hasta la vista, baby?
          Arnold:  No.  That was a different model.
          John:     What, do you guys come off an assembly line or something?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This moment was just so unbelievable to me.  How dumb do they think the audience is to have to try and explain something like this and how STUPID does John Connor have to be to even be ASKING these questions?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 01:50:19 AM »
John also says to the Terminator (might even be the same scene?) that it was "the closest thing to a father he ever had". Even though as you say, it's not the same Terminator. It also annoyed me on another level where it seems like a dumbed down version of the Terminator as a father figure theme. In T2 it's a great scene where Sarah watches the Terminator play with John and compares it to the various father figures she introduced, but in T3 it's just John making a statement out of the blue with no context, to a different Terminator. :\