Author Topic: Tv channels speeding up shows and movies  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Tv channels speeding up shows and movies
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:18:23 PM »
Does it bother you that TV channels are speeding up shows to fit in more ads?

So at first, I noticed it a few years ago with TBS speeding up family guy, turning a 22 min show into a 20 min show. That didn’t bother me, 2 extra mins of commercial didn’t bother me. However, lately I noticed more channels are doing in, and it’s getting worse.

Just now I was watching Captain America - Civil War on TNT and I had to switch the channel. The dialogues were “normal” but the fast pace action scenes were ridiculous and unwatchable. I felt like there should have been comic music in the background.

I Understand that more commercials=more money for them, but what is that worth when you are losing your viewers?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Tv channels speeding up shows and movies
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:53:36 AM »
TBS used to do this with Seinfeld too. One of the many reasons I don't miss cable for a second. I've been watching Home Improvement on Hulu and realized I completely forgot that shows used to show outtakes at the end of a program. Today, these companies play the closing credits of one show and the opening credits of the next on the screen at the same time so they can free up another 22 seconds of ad space. I hate it.

I say good riddance to cable. Greedy fucks ruined a great thing. And it's not just with the content. $12 a month to rent an archaic box? I can watch anything I want on my phone through their app, and you're telling me I need this behemoth of an electronic shoe box looking hideous in my living room? Convenience fees for having the ability to DVR? The fuck? I'm already paying you for the box and the DVR cloud service.

I can't wait to watch these companies finally drown in their own stupidity. The shitty thing is that they all saw this coming, consolidated, and bought or partnered with ISPs. Once cable finally dies, I expect my internet bill be be $200 a month.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:23:43 AM »
I'd say I dislike it, but I hardly watch live TV that isn't HBO anymore.  Most TV shows I watch on DVR and the amount of TV I watch has significantly been reduced over the last few years.  I wouldn't of noticed this difference.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:29:17 AM »
The shitty thing is that they all saw this coming, consolidated, and bought or partnered with ISPs. Once cable finally dies, I expect my internet bill be be $200 a month.

yep. This sucks. Just as everyone 'thinks' we're escaping cable and it's overpriced, under performing platform.....little do we know 'they' still have the upper hand and will get their $$$ one way or the other.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 08:59:32 AM »
Wow, I guess I never realized that that was going on. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
I watch a lot of broadcast TV and have never noticed this, so I guess the answer to your question is no.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »

Neither did I  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:38:13 PM »

Neither did I  :lol

Me neither, but the majority of my watching is either pay channels or streaming services.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
I’m so glad that I’m not the only one who noticed. 

My wife leaves some shows on in the background all day so I’ve become very familiar with certain shows.   That 70s Show is one of them.   But when one episode was playing on the Laff Channel the other day, I was thinking, “This is wrong.  Everyone’s voice sounds just slightly higher...like they slightly adjusted the speed of the entire show.”   I thought I was just being nuts, but it’s totally true.  Some channels are getting an extra commercial or two by speeding up the show just slightly...and it’s almost not noticeable unless you are really used to how the show is supposed to sound.

It’s really irritating because now I can’t unhear it and it makes one of my favorite shows sound almost like The Chipmunks now.   I mean, it’s not that bad, but once you DO hear it, your mind starts to focus on it and it just sounds wrong.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
I like watching the horrendous overdubbed movies on TV.  Smokey and the Bandit.  It's so bad, that it makes it so good.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »
I don't watch broadcast TV, and had no idea this happened. Would like to say this is totally surprising, but sadly it's not.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'