Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 103268 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #1225 on: June 13, 2023, 10:16:35 AM »
I am also not in any way handy, although last weekend I operated a hedge trimmer.  That was actually kind of fun.

I just pretended it was a lightsaber.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1226 on: June 13, 2023, 10:58:01 AM »
Did you make the humming sound as you swept it back and forth?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1227 on: June 13, 2023, 11:50:05 AM »
He screamed because he pretended it was double-sided.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1228 on: June 13, 2023, 12:19:28 PM »
I hire landscapers to do my yardwork.  Who has time to do that crap anyway?  lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1229 on: June 13, 2023, 07:27:45 PM »
You are talking about nature’s outdoor foliage, right?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1230 on: June 13, 2023, 07:28:35 PM »
I am also not in any way handy, although last weekend I operated a hedge trimmer.  That was actually kind of fun.

May the forest be with you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1231 on: June 13, 2023, 07:32:40 PM »

May the forest be with you.

Brush Maul.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: June 13, 2023, 07:52:16 PM »
One mistake many homeowners make with painting is going cheap on the materials. Get quality paint, brushes, rollers... it really does affect the final product.

I love my hedge trimmer. I have very few hedges to trim, so I rarely use it unfortunately.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online faizoff

« Reply #1233 on: June 13, 2023, 09:40:02 PM »
What brushes/rollers do you recommend Chris? I just picked this one randomly from Home Depot for the primer. It was decent, did the job and didn't break or anything. For paint I was going to get a flat white exterior Sherman-Williams exterior.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: June 13, 2023, 10:15:02 PM »
That would be fine for the primer. If you go to Sherwin, we usually get their Purdy Marathon roller covers. Everyone on our crew seems to have their own brush they like. Spend $15 on one, take care of it, and it will last a long time and do a quality job.

We usually job out exterior paint jobs; for interior jobs we typically get Sherwin Williams Emerald paint. I believe there is an Emerald for exterior.

One thing I found I was doing wrong for so long was 1) not getting enough paint on my roller and 2) spreading it too thin on the walls. Once I was alerted to those issues and improved them, my painting got significantly better.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1235 on: June 14, 2023, 06:22:13 AM »
That would be fine for the primer. If you go to Sherwin, we usually get their Purdy Marathon roller covers. Everyone on our crew seems to have their own brush they like. Spend $15 on one, take care of it, and it will last a long time and do a quality job.

We usually job out exterior paint jobs; for interior jobs we typically get Sherwin Williams Emerald paint. I believe there is an Emerald for exterior.

One thing I found I was doing wrong for so long was 1) not getting enough paint on my roller and 2) spreading it too thin on the walls. Once I was alerted to those issues and improved them, my painting got significantly better.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I would always try to stretch the paint as far as I could... in hindsight, you have to suck it up and let the paint do it's work.  $35 for another can (or $20 for a quart, if it's that tight) is small expense for not seeing a 4 foot by 4 foot patch of wall that is nominally covered - there are no patches showing through - but doesn't have enough paint to "set" the finish.  It'll look flat, or at the right angle and in the right light, it will look dull.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1236 on: June 14, 2023, 11:06:40 AM »
I hire landscapers to do my yardwork.  Who has time to do that crap anyway?  lol
We do too, for most of it.  My neighbor has the hedge trimmer and my wife wanted to borrow it, so we had fun with it.

Did you make the humming sound as you swept it back and forth?
I did, but no one could hear because the trimmer was so damn loud.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1237 on: June 14, 2023, 11:23:33 AM »
Yeah, I realized that that would be an issue.  But it's good that you made the sounds anyway.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1238 on: June 14, 2023, 11:29:34 AM »
My wife and I have discussed off and on about painting the rest of our house (inside). We are thinking of just hiring someone because our lives are busy with two careers and two toddlers. We are tired of the white, semi-bare walls.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1239 on: June 14, 2023, 01:18:22 PM »
I'm a big believer in hiring painters.

And movers.

And, well, whomever I can hire to do correctly the around-the-house shit that I most definitely will fuck up.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1240 on: June 14, 2023, 01:34:52 PM »
We had to replace our kitchen faucet and I didn't feel like climbing under the sink, turning off the water and removing the old faucet, installing the new one, etc., so I figure we call a plumber.  We're "members" of the local plumbing, heating & cooling company (pay a small monthly for discounts on service and purchases, plus free annual check-ups on furnace, AC, etc.) so I figured yeah it'll be a couple hundred bucks probably, but I'd still rather pay that than do all that myself.  I'm getting too old for this shit.

Seven hundred fucking dollars.  To install a new kitchen faucet that only cost $250 in the first place.  Also, the guy shared with me that the faucet itself, you know, is a rather low-end piece of hardware.  Low end?  Yeah, plastic innards, chrome-plated plastic, not really meant to last more than five or 10 years.  Well, shit.  We are planning on selling the house in maybe the next five or ten years, so I guess it doesn't have to last any longer than that, but now I know.  I mean, there were the $200 faucets at Home Depot and fancier ones and fancier ones that went all the way up to like $1000.  Now I know why.  Solid metal fittings and all that.

So that was annoying, paying three times as much as I'd paid in the first place to have a POS faucet installed.  But it's done.  The kicker is, I don't even like the new faucet.  The sprayer is weird and has a bizarre spray pattern, but we couldn't exactly try it out at the store first.  I just assumed it would be like any normal sprayer.  But after spending nearly a grand buying and installing it, we're sticking with it until we sell the house.  The benefits of home ownership.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1241 on: June 14, 2023, 01:36:56 PM »
Yep. I'd rather do it all myself than pay an absurd amount of money for someone to do it for me. I do draw the line at electricity or natural gas though. I don't need to electrocute anyone or blow up my house.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1242 on: June 14, 2023, 01:39:28 PM »
I guess I just didn't realize how much it would cost.  I know they charge by the hour, but the last time we had a plumber out, he had to fix a toilet which took a few hours, and it cost like $200, so I figured installing a faucet would be similar.  If I'd known how much it would be, I probably would've done it myself, and dealt with the soreness and pain later.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1243 on: June 14, 2023, 02:13:09 PM »

And movers.

And, well, whomever I can hire to do correctly the around-the-house shit that I most definitely will fuck up.

Yeah, I get it.  Not a handyman myself either. lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online faizoff

« Reply #1244 on: June 14, 2023, 02:20:35 PM »
We had to replace our kitchen faucet and I didn't feel like climbing under the sink, turning off the water and removing the old faucet, installing the new one, etc., so I figure we call a plumber.  We're "members" of the local plumbing, heating & cooling company (pay a small monthly for discounts on service and purchases, plus free annual check-ups on furnace, AC, etc.) so I figured yeah it'll be a couple hundred bucks probably, but I'd still rather pay that than do all that myself.  I'm getting too old for this shit.

Seven hundred fucking dollars.  To install a new kitchen faucet that only cost $250 in the first place.  Also, the guy shared with me that the faucet itself, you know, is a rather low-end piece of hardware.  Low end?  Yeah, plastic innards, chrome-plated plastic, not really meant to last more than five or 10 years.  Well, shit.  We are planning on selling the house in maybe the next five or ten years, so I guess it doesn't have to last any longer than that, but now I know.  I mean, there were the $200 faucets at Home Depot and fancier ones and fancier ones that went all the way up to like $1000.  Now I know why.  Solid metal fittings and all that.

So that was annoying, paying three times as much as I'd paid in the first place to have a POS faucet installed.  But it's done.  The kicker is, I don't even like the new faucet.  The sprayer is weird and has a bizarre spray pattern, but we couldn't exactly try it out at the store first.  I just assumed it would be like any normal sprayer.  But after spending nearly a grand buying and installing it, we're sticking with it until we sell the house.  The benefits of home ownership.

I can't recall if I posted in this thread or the exasperated thread, I had a plumber once quote me some $3,000 worth of work when I asked how much for installing 3 sinks in our house. He wanted to charge $300 per sink install and additionally wanted to replace the T junctions in our walls due to them being higher for a proper drain. I got another plumber to check the work and he did the 3 sink install plus garbage disposal plus a shower head disposal for a total of $650. I always get multiple quotes for any work these days and this is a primary reason why.

As for lawn service, I do it all myself, I find it oddly soothing mowing the lawn. Plus I have a smallish yard to maintain, waste to have someone do it for me every week or two.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1245 on: June 14, 2023, 06:23:15 PM »

And movers.

Yeah, we had movers for our new house as well. Completely worth it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1246 on: June 15, 2023, 06:47:53 AM »
Seven hundred fucking dollars.  To install a new kitchen faucet that only cost $250 in the first place. 

We had toilets that would run on and off in our prior house.  Being a newer homeowner, I didn't know much about how toilets work, so I called a plumber.  They charged me $300 for less than an hour's worth of work and a $15 replacement part.  After that, I watched some youtube videos and started changing out the fill and flush valves inside of the toilet tanks myself.

Same goes for faucets.  I hate crawling under the sink, but it's cheaper to do it myself. 

I had a chimney sweep charge me $150 to clean my chimney and it took him 10 minutes and he was out the door and gone.  I bought the brush myself and would then just go up on the roof and clean the chimney myself after that.  I always tell my wife that it's time vs. money.  We can save time, but spend money hiring someone.  Or spend time and save money by doing it ourselves. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1247 on: June 15, 2023, 07:00:22 AM »
The time vs money thing is big, but "effort" also plays into it.  I'm 61 this year, and feeling it.  The idea of crawling under the sink and lying on my back in that position, which is uncomfortable already, for however long it takes to do the necessary work, was really turning me off.  Plus there's the possibility that I wouldn't be able to do it anyway, and I'd be sore for days for nothing.  I figured for a couple hundred bucks, I'd pay someone else to do it.  I'm not that bad off.  I just grossly underestimated how much it would cost.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1248 on: June 15, 2023, 07:32:47 AM »
The time vs money thing is big, but "effort" also plays into it.  I'm 61 this year, and feeling it.  The idea of crawling under the sink and lying on my back in that position, which is uncomfortable already, for however long it takes to do the necessary work, was really turning me off.  Plus there's the possibility that I wouldn't be able to do it anyway, and I'd be sore for days for nothing.  I figured for a couple hundred bucks, I'd pay someone else to do it.  I'm not that bad off.  I just grossly underestimated how much it would cost.
:tup

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1249 on: June 15, 2023, 07:41:42 AM »
I generally assume hiring someone will cost twice as much as I think it should

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1250 on: June 15, 2023, 10:17:45 PM »

I hear ya   I got 2 houses and just one of me... I can do a lot and I do but yea Im tearing myself up more and more, , lately my rule is if I can do it and its not critical Ill do it ,,, if its immediate and I dont have the tools and time is an issue I will pay extra to let a pro do it and I then have them fix something else that is gonna need it to head off a problem,   I just had new motor put on well when I was just gonna have them do the tank , but saved on the "bundle " lol  , my chick likes to remind me I m not gettin and younger and loves when I complain about the back or various broken bones or torn cartilage or other random inflicted pain

but hell Id not what to do without chores and fixin the cars  LOL
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: June 15, 2023, 10:34:31 PM »

Seven hundred fucking dollars.  To install a new kitchen faucet that only cost $250 in the first place....

I won't question your desire to not contort your body beyond comfort at this stage in your life, but as someone who works in the industry, that is ridiculous, especially the upsell.

Why would you have to turn the water off though, you weren't changing the valves, right?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: June 16, 2023, 05:54:59 AM »
Movers are worth every penny.  When I was in uni and single, I'd always rented a truck, gathered a few buddies, and done it my/ourself.  After my first house, we hired, and I would never not hire movers again.  Man alive do you accumulate a lot of shit.

When we moved 4.5 years ago, they had the entirety of the inside of our house packed and loaded into a truck in less than 6 hours.  That was Day 1.  Day two was all the stuff we'd already packed in totes and stored at my in-laws, plus all the shit in my garage, shed, and outdoor furniture.

Add to that a 3-hour 1-way drive, and unloading all that shit.

Worth every goddamned penny.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1253 on: June 16, 2023, 05:57:26 AM »
I moved my entire house last year for a few hundred bucks. Movers would have cost several thousand. It was a pain in the ass and hard work, but totally worth the savings. Now, ask me to do that again in a decade when I'm in my 50s and I might say something different (though my sons will be old enough to do all the heavy lifting at that point).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1254 on: June 16, 2023, 06:28:04 AM »
Movers are worth every penny.  When I was in uni and single, I'd always rented a truck, gathered a few buddies, and done it my/ourself.  After my first house, we hired, and I would never not hire movers again.  Man alive do you accumulate a lot of shit.

When we moved 4.5 years ago, they had the entirety of the inside of our house packed and loaded into a truck in less than 6 hours.  That was Day 1.  Day two was all the stuff we'd already packed in totes and stored at my in-laws, plus all the shit in my garage, shed, and outdoor furniture.

Add to that a 3-hour 1-way drive, and unloading all that shit.

Worth every goddamned penny.

This is me, too.   And on my last move, my wife sort of gave me shit about it, and so we went "halfway"; movers packed almost everything, then moved the big shit and we'd do the rest.  It was too much and I finally called another moving company to move the rest.  (It's a longer story than that, but the rest isn't really relevant).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: June 16, 2023, 06:57:22 AM »
We did all the packing; movers did the moving.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1256 on: June 16, 2023, 06:58:49 AM »

Same here. The movers we got were solid and did the job so fast, it would've taken me a full day, they did the whole thing (loading and unloading) in 4 hours minus travel time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1257 on: June 16, 2023, 06:59:44 AM »
Same when we moved 5 years ago.

Like you said, worth every penny.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1258 on: June 16, 2023, 08:55:28 AM »

Seven hundred fucking dollars.  To install a new kitchen faucet that only cost $250 in the first place....

I won't question your desire to not contort your body beyond comfort at this stage in your life, but as someone who works in the industry, that is ridiculous, especially the upsell.

Why would you have to turn the water off though, you weren't changing the valves, right?

I'd have to shut off the feeds to the faucet itself, not the main.  But our house was built in the 60's, and the feeds are old and have these dumb oval-shaped knobs that probably moved alright 60 years ago, but I'd be laying on my back with not much room to move, trying to turn them tightly enough to cut off the feeds to the sink.  If I don't/can't get them totally shut off, I get wet when I remove the old lines, and at that point water is coming out the entire time I'm trying to crank down hard enough to cut it off.  I ran into that when I replaced the faucet in the downstairs bathroom 20 years ago, and I wasn't even upside down inside a cabinet at the time.  Pain in the ass.  40-year-old Orbert was willing to do it to save a buck or two.  60-year-old Orbert said Fuck that, I'll pay someone to do it.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1259 on: August 15, 2023, 03:13:16 PM »
So we are in full prepare mode for our main bedroom/bathroom remodel beginning in October.

I'm trying to get a specific toilet for this project that is the same model as the one we got for our upstairs bathroom - out of stock of course.  Lots to choose from so then I start thinking...maybe I should look into a modern bidet/commode combo.  Remember when Covid hit and you couldn't find TP anywhere?  Yeah...maybe that's the way to go.

I start looking at some options and at first I'm not looking at the prices or anything and I finally find one that looks like it might be a good one for our space and it is fucking 8 grand.

Some of the other ones are 10 grand.   :o

Who pays 8 grand for a toilet? 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad