Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 99425 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #980 on: April 21, 2022, 08:04:49 AM »
Tax money was deposited this morning and I am shopping for a new fridge. Not a single one I've looked at can fit through the doorways of my house (1927 doorways). I have no clue how the current one got in. My best guess is it was either disassembled outside and brought in, or the door frames were removed. The doorframes look older than me though, so I don't think that was it.

Please advise.

Just had this issue last year and my house was only 7 years old at the time and the doorways are standard. I did what you mentioned, I took off the doors and the handle to the freezer below and then reassembled once inside. The newer fridge's are pretty 'easy' to take the doors off....just a pain in the butt having to do it.

Damn. I was hoping to avoid that. Part of the cost is getting it delivered and hooked up in the kitchen. I don't want to have to coordinate with someone else on delivery day to have them give me a hand.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #981 on: April 21, 2022, 08:14:09 AM »
Damn. I was hoping to avoid that. Part of the cost is getting it delivered and hooked up in the kitchen. I don't want to have to coordinate with someone else on delivery day to have them give me a hand.

Yeah...it's a bummer for sure. Like I said though....it's not overly complicated, just a nuisance to deal with. You're probably looking at 10 minutes or so to uncrate/unpack......20 minutes to take off the doors.....5-10 moving it inside then another 20 minutes or so to put the doors back on. A solid hour of work before you start your hookup.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #982 on: April 21, 2022, 05:42:33 PM »
Tax money was deposited this morning and I am shopping for a new fridge. Not a single one I've looked at can fit through the doorways of my house (1927 doorways). I have no clue how the current one got in. My best guess is it was either disassembled outside and brought in, or the door frames were removed. The doorframes look older than me though, so I don't think that was it.

Please advise.

Just had this issue last year and my house was only 7 years old at the time and the doorways are standard. I did what you mentioned, I took off the doors and the handle to the freezer below and then reassembled once inside. The newer fridge's are pretty 'easy' to take the doors off....just a pain in the butt having to do it.

If they are delivering and hooking up, they ought to do the door thing.  You might have to smile nice, and palm them a $20 after they're done, but they should do that.  Not every house has 48" doorways.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: April 22, 2022, 09:45:18 AM »

Please advise.

If they are delivering and hooking up, they ought to do the door thing.  You might have to smile nice, and palm them a $20 after they're done, but they should do that.  Not every house has 48" doorways.

I would have assumed it's included in the service myself, but I could be wrong.  Got me thinking if I'd have this same issue (I think so) when I eventually have to replace my fridge. Mine is quite old from the previous owner and I REALLY do actually want a more modern one, but with this one still in good shape, there's just little reason to force that upgrade. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #984 on: April 22, 2022, 10:52:09 AM »
I moved into my house which was a brand new build in 2007. The fridge we bought was too big for the front door. The delivery guys disassembled it, brought it in and then put it back together.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Skeever

« Reply #985 on: April 22, 2022, 11:10:26 AM »
Anybody have any experience with sustainable (note: grassless) landscaping?
I've gotten the idea because 1.) I hate mowing, 2.) grass is, often, very boring 3.) there are areas of my yard that just suck to mow (so let's start there first).

Other than tear up the turf, spread some topsoil, and plant some natives, I've got no idea where to start... any pointers very welcomed  :biggrin:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: April 22, 2022, 04:01:19 PM »
https://insta-turf.com/

I created their website BTW.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #987 on: April 29, 2022, 11:36:40 AM »
Looks like I might be buying a new house this summer. 

My wife wants to get back to full-time work and is searching for a full-remote position.  Our current home is a raised-ranch (quad-level) with an open-ish floor plan.  No rooms have doors aside from bedrooms and bathrooms.  We don't have a spare bedroom for an office.  So she wants a bigger house.  With the pandemic over the last 2 years, we've all been in the house more often and on top of each other most days.  We have nowhere to hide when we need to take important phone calls for work.

She has her heart set on a certain neighborhood in our town with bigger houses and bigger prices.  If nothing works out, we can still stay here.  No biggie.  Our agent sent out mailers and we prepared our house and had photos taken, should we decide to move.   There was no action in that subdivision.  I tried to join their restricted Facebook group and messaged back and forth with the resident that admins the group.  He put a feeler out in the group on my behalf and connected me with a homeowner that is moving out of state this summer.  He was going to sell his house "for sale/by owner." 

We were able to tour the house last weekend and fell in love with it.  It's perfect for our family and needs, while still being in the same school district and boundary, so my daughter doesn't have to change schools.  It's a great, friendly neighborhood, at the end of a quiet court/cul-de-sac, and within walking/biking distance to our town's brand new library and a public park.  My current home is close to the school, but on a main artery street where cars and delivery trucks routinely do in excess of the 25mph speed limit.   Over the last few years, more people have moved in with louder cars, which affect all of our sleep, as well as the safety issue of them playing in the driveway with cars zooming past all the time.

We'll be submitting an offer next week.  The homeowner seems to be working with our agent for now, which is a good sign.  The downside is saying goodbye to our home of 12 years, where we brought our kids home from the hospital and raised them for the first several years of their lives.  I know this house inside and out, having put blood, sweat and tears into it, and that bothers me a little to walk away from my hard work.  A few months ago, i was dreading this process, but I'm realizing that we do need this change as a family and it will be better for all of us.  More to come in the following weeks/months, if all goes well!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #988 on: April 29, 2022, 12:45:00 PM »
Best of luck Grappler!!!  That's exciting!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

« Reply #989 on: May 04, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »
Best of luck Grappler!!!  That's exciting!

Thanks, it's been crazy.  Looks like it's all going to be official very soon.  I had a full-on breakdown today, trying to balance the stress of everything with my job stress - buying this new home, having to get ready to sell our current home, a tremendously busy job workload, and kids that are driving me up the wall...and on top of everything, our 13 year old tv burned up last night and died, so I had to buy a new tv today.  It was embarrassing, but apparently I needed to let those emotions out, even if it was just in front of my wife.

I have to spend an extra $5,000 on the house to make up for my agent's commission (I don't have any experience in doing a For Sale By Owner and don't have the time to hire my own real estate lawyer.).  In the end though, this is the forever/dream house for the family and will make our lives better, even if our mortgage and property tax amounts are going to increase, though it should still remain affordable for us with a little tightening of the budget. 

So if that's what it takes, so be it.  The seller is really nice, threw in a pool table, outdoor pergola and a couch for the extra $5K and is happy to be selling his home to another family to raise their kids in, as they look to downsize.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #990 on: May 04, 2022, 03:15:10 PM »
Not exactly a buyer's market in terms of home value, but getting low rates while you still can is the compelling factor I suppose.  But does it really matter?  For instance, 5 years ago when I bought my 2nd house, it was $220k at 4.62%.  However, my down payment was 20%, so the loan was only $176k.  Now, it's worth twice that much and the rates are around 3.5% now?  You're still paying more interest and not to mention the extra down payment you'd need to keep the mortgage payment reasonable.  I certainly wouldn't want to be a first time buyer in today's market.  It could end up being 2008 all over again.  Perhaps even worse.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: May 05, 2022, 05:47:12 AM »
Look, I'm sure it's a function of incomplete information and me not getting the full story, but sort of confused why you'd pay $5k in cash when (depending where you live) you can have a quality real estate lawyer on your case for less than half that.  Good real estate counsel is relatively easy to find since there are so many sources for referrals (anyone who's bought a house, anyone who's sold a house, any real estate agent, many tenants, many landlords...)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #992 on: May 05, 2022, 05:51:25 AM »
Look, I'm sure it's a function of incomplete information and me not getting the full story, but sort of confused why you'd pay $5k in cash when (depending where you live) you can have a quality real estate lawyer on your case for less than half that. Good real estate counsel is relatively easy to find since there are so many sources for referrals (anyone who's bought a house, anyone who's sold a house, any real estate agent, many tenants, many landlords...)

My guy was running for CT attorney general at the time and ghosted on my closing date because an event came up :lol

Offline Grappler

« Reply #993 on: May 05, 2022, 06:48:17 AM »
Look, I'm sure it's a function of incomplete information and me not getting the full story, but sort of confused why you'd pay $5k in cash when (depending where you live) you can have a quality real estate lawyer on your case for less than half that.  Good real estate counsel is relatively easy to find since there are so many sources for referrals (anyone who's bought a house, anyone who's sold a house, any real estate agent, many tenants, many landlords...)

I don't have the time to find a lawyer and spend time on it for various reasons (work, family).  We wanted to work with a realtor, the buyer didn't.  So our realtor cut her commission in half and the offer increased by that same amount so the buyer can walk away with the total amount that he wants.

It is what it is.  We're getting a pool table, outdoor pergola and big sectional couch for that $5K, so it's not like i'm just throwing it away.  There is some added value on our end.

Bottom line - both parties are happy and came to an agreement.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: May 05, 2022, 08:22:31 AM »
Not exactly a buyer's market in terms of home value, but getting low rates while you still can is the compelling factor I suppose.  But does it really matter?  For instance, 5 years ago when I bought my 2nd house, it was $220k at 4.62%.  However, my down payment was 20%, so the loan was only $176k.  Now, it's worth twice that much and the rates are around 3.5% now?  You're still paying more interest and not to mention the extra down payment you'd need to keep the mortgage payment reasonable.  I certainly wouldn't want to be a first time buyer in today's market.  It could end up being 2008 all over again.  Perhaps even worse.

I thought the fed just bumped rates and they are closer to 5% now

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: May 05, 2022, 09:21:50 AM »

I don't have the time to find a lawyer and spend time on it for various reasons (work, family).  We wanted to work with a realtor, the buyer didn't.  So our realtor cut her commission in half and the offer increased by that same amount so the buyer can walk away with the total amount that he wants.

It is what it is.  We're getting a pool table, outdoor pergola and big sectional couch for that $5K, so it's not like i'm just throwing it away.  There is some added value on our end.

And that's all that matters.   (I'm being sincere, here).   

Offline Grappler

« Reply #996 on: May 05, 2022, 09:29:43 AM »

And that's all that matters.   (I'm being sincere, here).

Thanks!

All of my home projects come down to time vs. money.  I can do something myself and save money, but it takes longer for me to do. Or I can hire someone, spend more money, but have it done quicker.  This time, I figured a little extra money will just make the process easier for ME to deal with, during a ridiculously busy time of the year.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #997 on: May 12, 2022, 07:40:42 AM »
Bump.

We signed the contract on the new house.  Our current home was listed yesterday.  Over 500 views on Zillow in less than 24 hours.  14 confirmed showings for the next two days - thankfully, the majority of them fall between 3pm-7pm tonight, so we don't have to constantly be in and out of the house.  I may drive over to the library and use their wi-fi, since I'm working from home today and don't want to shut down for 30 minutes here or there around lunchtime for the two showings then.

Here's to hoping these showings and an open house on Saturday lead to an offer or two!  It's such a pain in the ass to tidy up the house and make it as spotless as possible with two young kids who also either need attention or want to re-make their messes. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #998 on: May 12, 2022, 07:45:21 AM »
Bump.

We signed the contract on the new house.  Our current home was listed yesterday.  Over 500 views on Zillow in less than 24 hours.  14 confirmed showings for the next two days - thankfully, the majority of them fall between 3pm-7pm tonight, so we don't have to constantly be in and out of the house.  I may drive over to the library and use their wi-fi, since I'm working from home today and don't want to shut down for 30 minutes here or there around lunchtime for the two showings then.

Here's to hoping these showings and an open house on Saturday lead to an offer or two!  It's such a pain in the ass to tidy up the house and make it as spotless as possible with two young kids who also either need attention or want to re-make their messes. 
If the market is anything like it was a few months ago, and your house is a decent place and priced appropriately, you should have offers this weekend. I know things have slowed down a little but with the higher interest rates, but I think it's still very much a sellers market. Good luck! It's really nice to only have to deal with showings for one weekend.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #999 on: May 14, 2022, 06:33:02 AM »
We had about 15 showings within a 24-28 hour time span.  Received an offer first thing yesterday morning....and three additional offers throughout the day.  I nitpick the hell out of my house and it amazed me to see a number of people want to buy it.

We're accepting the first offer - it's a younger couple who want to buy the house and start a family here, just like we did.  They came in at $30,000 over asking price, which blows my mind.  We're seling the house for $98,000 more than when we bought the house 13 years ago, though a lot of that is because of the upgrades:  newer roof, siding, front/rear entry doors, windows, some carpet, kitchen counters/sink, light fixtures, privacy fence and more.  I bet we've put $50K to $60K of upgrades into the house over those years, if not more.

Oh, and they don't want a home inspection either, which is fantastic for us.  :)  Not that our house is in bad shape (it isn't), but it saves us from having to offer money back to them for an old furnace/AC, etc. 

Kind of nice to know that we'll be making this couple's weekend once we sign the paperwork and send it off. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 06:41:46 AM by Grappler »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1000 on: May 14, 2022, 07:50:33 AM »
Cracking the ice today. 1st mowing of the lawn today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1001 on: May 14, 2022, 07:55:53 AM »

I did my front last week. Our back is pretty long so we're having it done. Hopefully they come today.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1002 on: May 14, 2022, 08:20:40 AM »
We had about 15 showings within a 24-28 hour time span.  Received an offer first thing yesterday morning....and three additional offers throughout the day.  I nitpick the hell out of my house and it amazed me to see a number of people want to buy it.

We're accepting the first offer - it's a younger couple who want to buy the house and start a family here, just like we did.  They came in at $30,000 over asking price, which blows my mind.  We're seling the house for $98,000 more than when we bought the house 13 years ago, though a lot of that is because of the upgrades:  newer roof, siding, front/rear entry doors, windows, some carpet, kitchen counters/sink, light fixtures, privacy fence and more.  I bet we've put $50K to $60K of upgrades into the house over those years, if not more.

Oh, and they don't want a home inspection either, which is fantastic for us.  :)  Not that our house is in bad shape (it isn't), but it saves us from having to offer money back to them for an old furnace/AC, etc. 

Kind of nice to know that we'll be making this couple's weekend once we sign the paperwork and send it off.

It sounds like they gave an all cash offer? That could explain the no home inspection but otherwise that's great news!

Congrats!  :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1003 on: May 14, 2022, 08:22:47 AM »

I did my front last week. Our back is pretty long so we're having it done. Hopefully they come today.

Going to make a playlist before I mow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1004 on: May 14, 2022, 10:34:19 AM »

It sounds like they gave an all cash offer? That could explain the no home inspection but otherwise that's great news!

Congrats!  :metal

The opposite actually.  They are a young couple with little money.  Low down payment of 5%.

Part of me feels bad that they are overpaying for this house, but the reality is that we have updated the hell out of the house with big ticket things.  It's my right to sell for as much money as the market and appraisal allows., and it is helping me buy an even bigger home and asset.

No inspection because just about everything in the house is newer and they are comfortable with the homes condition, and they wanted to show us how much they love and want the house. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: May 16, 2022, 08:50:08 AM »
Don't feel bad.  They made that offer not you.  Congrats on the sale though  :yarr

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1006 on: May 16, 2022, 11:06:27 AM »

Did mine on the weekend too.  It was too damned wet/soggy/mushy to attempt to get the tractor through it until now.

I'm absolutely flabergasted anyone would buy a house without an inspection.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: May 16, 2022, 12:01:41 PM »

Me too, but that's been fairly common in this housing market.  Anything to get an edge to accept your offer.  I'm just glad I'm not a buyer because I wouldn't be comfortable without an inspection, but if that was the only way to get the house I wanted... maybe I would?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1008 on: May 16, 2022, 12:23:38 PM »

Me too, but that's been fairly common in this housing market.  Anything to get an edge to accept your offer.  I'm just glad I'm not a buyer because I wouldn't be comfortable without an inspection, but if that was the only way to get the house I wanted... maybe I would?

Usually, it's the mortgage lender that requires an inspection but I have no idea if it's a State by State requirement.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: May 16, 2022, 12:27:16 PM »

Usually, it's the mortgage lender that requires an inspection but I have no idea if it's a State by State requirement.

Yeah, but a lot of people are paying cash these days.  Where they get it? I have no idea.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1010 on: May 16, 2022, 01:44:44 PM »

Yeah, but a lot of people are paying cash these days.  Where they get it? I have no idea.

Most houses being bought outright in cash are not being bought by the people who will be living in it. Cash buyouts are coming from those giant rental companies that already have thousands of properties in their portfolio and have the capital to throw around.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1011 on: May 17, 2022, 07:11:18 AM »
The couple buying my house is definitely not paying cash.  They only have 5% down, and they're using their agent's preferred lender.  My agent told me that banks don't require it (at least here in Illlinois), and they'd really shit a brick if they did see the inspection report, noting all of the imperfections and bad things about the property that they're lending hundreds of thousands of dollars for.

It's just a tool to protect the prospective buyer so they can know what they're getting into.  I had the inspection performed at my new home yesterday, and it gives me a starting point to know what I need to handle immediately vs. several years down the line.  Once I get settled in, I can start working on correcting some of the issues. 

So the couple buying my house is trusting that all of the upgrades and work I've done to improve the home is solid, vs. having it inspected.  That's fine by me, as it's less ammo to try and nickel and dime their offer down several thousand dollars afterwards.   And like above, it gets their offer on top of the pile over all others.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1012 on: May 17, 2022, 08:50:08 AM »
When we bought our house in '99, also here in Illinois, the inspection was basically required.  Maybe not by law, but we were told that no one was going to lend us the money if they didn't have some idea of how worthy it was.  That made sense, but your explanation also makes sense.  So maybe it's because the market has changed so much since then, or something.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1013 on: May 17, 2022, 08:58:17 AM »
Inspections are definitely not required by most lenders. Appraisals are though. An appraiser would note any serious damage, but they aren't looking into the attic or testing our the furnace.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: May 18, 2022, 07:01:00 AM »

Most houses being bought outright in cash are not being bought by the people who will be living in it. Cash buyouts are coming from those giant rental companies that already have thousands of properties in their portfolio and have the capital to throw around.

Or flippers.  My wife does closings, and I know of three cash transactions in the last six months she was involved in and all three were people who were likely going to flip the house in a matter of months.