Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 103264 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #665 on: August 20, 2020, 07:44:00 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #666 on: August 20, 2020, 07:53:12 AM »
I never had to mow a lawn until I bought my house. We never owned any lawn equipment growing up. My parents had a crew come in once a week. It's an overrated experience.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #667 on: August 20, 2020, 07:55:54 AM »
My lawn was just done today by my new weekly mower, Sergio. I have no shame in saying I want nothing to do with taking care of my lawn. Sergio also did all a huge job for me with all the weeds and overgrown trees and bushes. Spent a lot of money but well worth it.

Sergio??

I bet you don't even know what that GIF is from. It's hilarious.  :rollin :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: August 20, 2020, 07:59:13 AM »
Chappelle show?  That gif is hysterical

I never had to mow a lawn until I bought my house. We never owned any lawn equipment growing up. My parents had a crew come in once a week. It's an overrated experience.

My parents would have me mow the lawn and in return my dad would buy the WWF pay per views for me, that was our deal.  I must say I never loved doing the yard work, but I really liked wrestling those days.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #669 on: August 20, 2020, 08:06:14 AM »
Mowing the grass rocks as an adult. I throw on some music and go to town. Actually when I was a kid the flip switched as soon as I got an iPod - that suddenly made yard work so much more bearable. I love when the grass is super tall. It's like washing a REALLY dirty car, it feels so satisfying to see such a difference.

And yeah, it's the gay America skit from Chappelle's Show  :lol

I'm being hyperbolic here, but I don't trust people who don't cut their own grass.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #670 on: August 20, 2020, 08:06:33 AM »
I dunno; I'm old school like that, it seems.  We had a service for a while, but I usually cut mine.  I do the weed whacking too, and I even bought a "burn barrel" to put in the woods to occasionally burn the clippings and twigs/sticks I pick up around the yard.  It takes time, and it's not easy in 95 degree heat, but it's decent exercise to get outside and sweat a little bit.

Back when I worked at GE, I worked with two brothers that were a lot more hands-on, and they would diss some of the senior executives with "that guy doesn't cut his own lawn".  Didn't really make sense to me at the time but I sort of get it now.   (Not saying I AGREE, just that I get it.)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #671 on: August 20, 2020, 08:24:39 AM »
I bought a new, electric lawn mower this season and now have my kids mow the lawn. I pay them $5 to mow while I sit and drink a beer while supervising. Having kids is finally good for something! :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #672 on: August 20, 2020, 09:28:40 AM »
I bought a new, electric lawn mower this season and now have my kids mow the lawn. I pay them $5 to mow while I sit and drink a beer while supervising. Having kids is finally good for something! :)

The lot at our last house, which was decent sized, but not nearly the acre field I have now, jingle.kids (as teenagers) owned responsibility for mowing - also with an cordless mower.  5 summers of bliss having them do it.  Now, mrs.jingle/jingle daughter take care of the smaller side/backyard, and I/jingle.son split responsibility for the side field/front year.  Still takes almost 2 hours for that even with a tractor.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #673 on: August 21, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »
My lawn was just done today by my new weekly mower, Sergio. I have no shame in saying I want nothing to do with taking care of my lawn. Sergio also did all a huge job for me with all the weeds and overgrown trees and bushes. Spent a lot of money but well worth it.

I haven't mowed my lawn or done any yard work since I moved into the house I'm in now.  It really boils down to time for me.  I don't get a lot of free time and a large portion of the free time I do get is spent at the gym, staying in shape so I can keep working and paying the bills.  I'd rather play my guitar or hang out with my grand kids or my dogs than mow the lawn.  So I pay to have the yard maintained.  I consider myself very fortunate that I can afford such things.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #674 on: August 22, 2020, 08:11:29 AM »
There is absolutely no shame in having a landscaping company do the yardwork! I mowed, edged, trimmed the hedges and pruned the trees and raked the leaves - once in the winter and once in the spring. After about 4 years of that, I said fuck it and got a service and was never happier. I also maintained my pool and in the last year we were in the house, I said fuck it and got a pool service and was wondered why I hadn't done this earlier.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #675 on: August 22, 2020, 11:43:57 AM »
Yeah, if you can afford it, there's no shame in hiring a professional to do the work you hate to do.

I spent this week ripping out our flooring, the laminate came up easy, but ripping up 1/4" plywood with two layers of linoleum on it in the dining and kitchen was a pain in the ass to say the least. The new stuff is going in today with the help of my brothers in law. Looking good so far. I just hope the wife is happy with it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #676 on: August 22, 2020, 05:45:32 PM »
A couple summers ago when I had my hernia done, we paid to have the lawn cut. I have a full acre, and the guy charged me $35 or $45 every two weeks for the whole thing. Well worth it.

I was going to hire him the following summer, but he kind of neglected the Spring Cleanup, and that was that. I'm back to mowing.

I generally hate the thought of it. but once I get going, it is prime music listenage.

Takes about a 30/40 minutes for the front and about an hour and a half, with breaks, to do the back.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: August 22, 2020, 05:50:22 PM »
Yeah, if you can afford it, there's no shame in hiring a professional to do the work you hate to do.

I spent this week ripping out our flooring, the laminate came up easy, but ripping up 1/4" plywood with two layers of linoleum on it in the dining and kitchen was a pain in the ass to say the least. The new stuff is going in today with the help of my brothers in law. Looking good so far. I just hope the wife is happy with it.

Did you use one of those peelers to get the linoleum up? What are you putting down?

A couple summers ago when I had my hernia done, we paid to have the lawn cut. I have a full acre, and the guy charged me $35 or $45 every two weeks for the whole thing. Well worth it.

I was going to hire him the following summer, but he kind of neglected the Spring Cleanup, and that was that. I'm back to mowing.

I generally hate the thought of it. but once I get going, it is prime music listenage.

Takes about a 30/40 minutes for the front and about an hour and a half, with breaks, to do the back.

I like doing the lawn too when it's nice outside in the spring and fall but now temps are in the mid 90's and it takes about 2 hours to do the lawn and it's a killer. The guy I got has some really nice stuff lawn equipment so he knocks it out in 40 minutes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: August 22, 2020, 06:22:29 PM »

Ditto. It’s about a 90 minute job for me start to finish. Faster this time of year, because it’s been so dry the last 2 August’s. We only have 3 trees on our property, so there isn’t a lot of shade, and it’s pretty dry ecology - It’s all clay about 2 inches down. in the spring and early summer, it’s 2+hrs.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #679 on: August 22, 2020, 08:06:39 PM »

Ditto. It’s about a 90 minute job for me start to finish. Faster this time of year, because it’s been so dry the last 2 August’s. We only have 3 trees on our property, so there isn’t a lot of shade, and it’s pretty dry ecology - It’s all clay about 2 inches down. in the spring and early summer, it’s 2+hrs.

Well, I think you said you had a rider. It's all walking for me. I haven't cut my back in at least a month. But it's been so hot, it's not growing like crazy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: August 22, 2020, 08:37:59 PM »
You guys are lucky. This year we've had a lot of rain and a crab grass explosion despite the preimergent treatments I did.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #681 on: August 23, 2020, 03:55:26 AM »

Did you use one of those peelers to get the linoleum up? What are you putting down?
There was two layers of linoleum over a 1/4" plywood layer. I started trying to rip up the linoleum until I realized the plywood was there. It was easier to just pry up the plywood. We put down premium vinyl planks. Basically looks like wood but made out of plastic. With 4 young boys, we wanted to go with something waterproof and durable. Looks great so far. Need to get all the trim on next.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: August 23, 2020, 06:09:20 AM »
Nice, a few of my friends put down vinyl planks and I think they are really nice.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: August 23, 2020, 06:09:41 AM »
You guys are lucky. This year we've had a lot of rain and a crab grass explosion despite the preimergent treatments I did.

There’s been a shit ton of crabgrass in my area too. And a handful of other weeds as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: August 23, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »
This orbweaver has made a home next to my back door on my patio, it's web stretches about 5 feet across from the railing near the door (my back door has 3 steps down to the patio) to the side of my house.  Typically I'm not really into having such huge insects close by, but I'm so fascinated when I grill or just chill outside and watch it weave the web or when it wraps up and eats a fly it caught.  If I had kids or an outdoor pet, I'd probably put an end to it, but it seems harmless although big and nasty looking.  I don't know if this is actually a benefit of home ownership, but I'm totally fascinated by the nature on my small property

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #685 on: August 23, 2020, 08:41:22 PM »
Nope, I think it's time for you to find someplace new to live.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: August 24, 2020, 06:56:56 AM »
We have a few of those in the summertime, I try not to bother them as they end up killing a ton of flies.

Has anyone here fixed peeling latex paint? There is a spot in my guest bathroom where the curtain rod was put back on wet paint. I just tried moving the rod higher and ended up peeling a bit of the paint. Is it just sand - patch - paint over the spot?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: August 24, 2020, 07:19:13 AM »

Well, I think you said you had a rider. It's all walking for me. I haven't cut my back in at least a month. But it's been so hot, it's not growing like crazy.

This seems like a different thread, now.  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: August 24, 2020, 07:24:52 AM »
We have a few of those in the summertime, I try not to bother them as they end up killing a ton of flies.

Has anyone here fixed peeling latex paint? There is a spot in my guest bathroom where the curtain rod was put back on wet paint. I just tried moving the rod higher and ended up peeling a bit of the paint. Is it just sand - patch - paint over the spot?

Pretty much, unless there's damage to the wallboard underneath.   You have to be very careful with sanding, though; you want to sand enough to feather the edges of the old paint, so you don't have that "crater" look when you're done, but you DO NOT want to to scuff whatever the surface is underneath.  If it's wallboard, it's essentially paper, and so it will have the tendency to "ball up" and hard to cover smoothly.  And with water/steam, if you don't get it covered, that will potentially lead to problems.   I'm not trying to scare you, because it's not a big deal, just be careful.

Use a REALLY fine sandpaper.  The higher the number the better; I would go 220, myself.  (Softball tossed....)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: August 24, 2020, 07:35:58 AM »
Cool I'll give it a shot, I'll send the bill for my work to my father-in-law who put the rod up in the first palce

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #690 on: August 24, 2020, 09:32:17 AM »
On a separate subject - anyone have the unfortunate experience of dealing with moles?

I've got 6.02x10^23 problems, but moles aren't one of them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: August 24, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »
On a separate subject - anyone have the unfortunate experience of dealing with moles?

I've got 6.02x10^23 problems, but moles aren't one of them.

Funny, I was just coming in here to say that I now have a mole problem. Caught one mofo literally as he was digging in my backyard, and watched a second slip under my fence. Mole traps around here aren’t easy to find, and amazon.ca has a shit selection.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #692 on: August 24, 2020, 01:47:06 PM »
I've got them. Holes everywhere in this spring and I could never find them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #693 on: August 24, 2020, 03:14:17 PM »
Well, I guess I will try traps next year or even this year. They say you have got to eliminate the food source (worms, grubs etc..) which is a good idea because we have red robins all over the place in the spring. They feed off the bugs and worms in the yard but they also shit all over the place (bastards!). They also say douse the yard with castor oil (or some shit like that) but where do you get enough of that junk in bulk? I've got a 10lb mini-pin that often eats grass and that's the last thing I need is for him to eat castor oil and puke all over the place.

Must kill moles! Must kill moles! Die moles die!!!!!  >:(

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: August 24, 2020, 03:32:24 PM »
Karma kills, man.  I made that joke above and I was over at my wife's old house and front and back yards are just a MAZE of moles.   MF. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #695 on: September 14, 2020, 05:49:24 AM »
Anyone ever consider having an Epoxy seal done in the garage?

I enjoy tooling around in the garage, so I think I will look in to this when I buy a house. Here's a before and after of what it looks like:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:24:53 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: September 14, 2020, 06:14:13 AM »
I've seen it done a lot. I'm going to have mine done next summer after I do some renovations to the electrical and change out the cabinets in my garage. That particular floor looks like one of those professional installations where the epoxy is actually quite thick--almost an 1/8th of an inch. That would be tricky to do on your own. You'd need some pretty good ventilation and chemical mask protection.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: September 14, 2020, 07:27:34 AM »
Ditto to all of that. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #698 on: September 14, 2020, 07:29:17 AM »
There are some cool ways to resurface and finish concrete. I’ve seen it also to where it’s made to look like hardwood flooring. I’m sure it’s not cheap but it looks incredible. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #699 on: September 14, 2020, 08:01:00 AM »
In every house I lived at growing up, the garage was always dark and dingy looking. I think the epoxy makes it look sleek, clean and inviting.