Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 99453 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #385 on: June 06, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
I was told by a repair guy that the front load washers cost a bot load to repair.  Stay with the top load.  I got an energy saver version of the top load.  Only $550.00.

Yes, top load washer repair parts are generally inexpensive because they are mass produced cheaply, but you also have to repair them more often. Top loaders are also painfully inefficient with water and soap usage, cleaning effectiveness, and water extraction (the higher the extract speed the less time in the dryer).

If you'd spent that same $550.00 on a front load LG with direct drive and reduced features (that no one needs) you'd have been money ahead.

And yet, you have replaced your dishwasher 3 times in 16 years.

Precisely my point... quality is not what it used to be.  For clarity, I meant to say I'm *on* my 3rd dishwasher - not that I've replaced it 3 times.

I don't know, dude. You may be right but I think you may be giving away too much of your personal responsibility...either by the decisions you make about the product you buy or they way the products are treated.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #386 on: June 06, 2018, 09:29:10 AM »
Our first front load washer lasted 12 years.  We've had this new one for 2 years.  Our dryer is 14 years old and it only needed the belt replaced once.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #387 on: June 06, 2018, 10:00:28 AM »
@ Stads and the cost issue.  I'm not disputing your knowledge as it relates to GE, but on the whole, puh-leeze.  First, you're suggesting that wage-inflation is greater than general inflation.  Inflation adjusted earnings are fairly flat since the mid-70s.  Second, how many appliances are actually built in the US? I know for TVs and blu-ray players, it's somewhere in the range of 0%.  Samsung and LG are also pretty big players in the general household appliance space.

This wasn't meant to be a discussion on wages and healthcare costs, so I don't want to derail it in that direction.

I do!  Fuck yeah!  I'm kidding; I don't either, except to say "earnings" and "labor cost" are not the same thing.   The money a company pays to it's employee is a fraction, anywhere from 30 to 70% +/-, of the cost to the company.  And you'd be surprised; the GE plant is in Louisville, KY, and while this might have changed, when I was there, the campus contained the largest privately owned (meaning non-railroad company) railyard in the U.S.   They will source components from outside the US, but a large portion of the assembly is done in the US.   I don't know if they still do, but GE used to put the percentage of US manufacture right on the label.  Hang on, I'll go check the dishwasher......

Precisely my point... quality is not what it used to be.  For clarity, I meant to say I'm *on* my 3rd dishwasher - not that I've replaced it 3 times.

Speaking of "on" your dishwasher, in my dorm at college the laundry room was very popular place during/after dorm parties...  just throwing that out there.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »
Fair point on wages vs fully burdened headcount costs.

And *on* an appliance ... not sure if I'm titillated, or disgusted.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »
Doesn't matter what the guy thinks.  If she's into it, it's a good thing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: June 17, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »
Welp after getting my lawn in amazing shape this year I'm done trying to fight the heat. We haven't had rain in 2 weeks and I'm tired of watering the lawn wasting water and paying a fortune to do so.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #391 on: June 17, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
Welp after getting my lawn in amazing shape this year I'm done trying to fight the heat. We haven't had rain in 2 weeks and I'm tired of watering the lawn wasting water and paying a fortune to do so.

Yeah. It’s brutal. We’re forecast for a chance of thunderstorms every day this week but I’ve been watering the  :censored out of our yard given our house is in the market. I fear my next water bill more than anything right now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: June 17, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »

Yeah. It’s brutal. We’re forecast for a chance of thunderstorms every day this week but I’ve been watering the  :censored out of our yard given our house is in the market. I fear my next water bill more than anything right now.

I just spent almost an hour trouble-shooting my in-ground sprinkler (front yard zone was not coming on from the controller), only to make it worse (now 2 zones aren't coming on :zeltar:).  They work just fine when I open the main valve from the outside, but the controller ain't doin shit.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #393 on: June 30, 2018, 01:20:56 PM »
Do you guys get a separate, individual bill for the year's school tax?  I just got one out of the blue for like $1400. I thought it was built in the mortgage payment which has some items in escrow like insurance, property tax and I thought school tax, but I guess not.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: June 30, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »
Property taxes are usually all rolled in to one bill, which is most often (I thought) paid out of your escrow account.

Maybe your local teacher's union is pissed off at the JANUS decision and taking matters in to their own hands   :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #395 on: June 30, 2018, 09:28:42 PM »

I just spent almost an hour trouble-shooting my in-ground sprinkler (front yard zone was not coming on from the controller), only to make it worse (now 2 zones aren't coming on :zeltar:).  They work just fine when I open the main valve from the outside, but the controller ain't doin shit.

Check your relays.  I had that problem when I moved in.   

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: July 01, 2018, 05:06:26 AM »
I ended up having to call my landscaper in to fix it.  Long story short, he was just as perplexed about why it wasn't working.  Power was flowing in to the valve, and we could open the valve to 'manually' turn the problem zone on, and the control panel could turn it off, but the panel couldn't 'start' it.  He was going to replace one component of the valve, but the system is so old (made in the 80s) that there aren't any compatible parts.  So, he ended up replacing the entire valve system for all the zones.  Full-day's work - not looking forward to that bill, since we're going to be moving out of this house in the next 12 months!  Oh well, at least I can market it as a "brand new" sprinkler system.   :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: July 01, 2018, 08:50:00 AM »
A few weeks ago I mentioned we were selling our home.....well, we decided to pull it from the market.

Nothing will make you appreciate what you have more than when you start to look around at homes that are 30 years older than yours in neighborhoods where the ‘life’ seems to be non existent. (Meaning no kids running around, neighbors outside talking to one another etc etc.)

Plus, near all the feedback we received about our home went along the lines of something like “beautiful home....but for that price we could build a new one on our own” or....”love the house but for that price we’d expect granite countertops and new carpet throughout”

Understandable feedback and opinions but we were never going to put new carpet in or granite countertops to sell our house because we really didn’t ‘need’ to sell it. It was an experiment with the market to see if we could get a quick hit sale at asking price and pocket $100k to slap down on our next loan. With school starting mid August and being less than impressed with what we were seeing out there available.....we decided to pull our house and stay put.

Which honestly we all are happy with and feel good about. Like I said, this experience helped us realize how blessed and fortunate we are to be where we’re at. Neighborhood is fun, we’ve made many close friends here and the kiddos get to stay locked in with the friends they’ve made. So it’s all good.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: July 01, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »
I'm still pissed that I won't be able to see the oasis full of lush plants. :getoffmylawn: Rationalize it any way you want, Gary. Your still a disappointment.

Oasis plan back on!!!! Gotta re-focus and start to put the finishing touches on the back yard. Probably wait until fall being that summer is in full effect now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: July 09, 2018, 08:54:06 AM »
Nothing wrong with testing the market. You got some real feedback and made a better decision knowing what you now know for next time you might be making a move.

A house on my street just hit the market. Literally the same house as mine in terms of original build, but asking price is $120k more than what I paid. I'd be surprised if someone bought it, that seems like too much, but I will be happy if it sells for that.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
Ive begun demolition on my basement which was finished some time in the 70's, and has mold issues.  I've been reading all sorts of opinions on how to properly insulate and water proof basements, but finally came across an authoritative source, the Building Sciences Corporation.

https://buildingscience.com/documents/bareports/ba-0309-renovating-your-basment/view

XPS rigid foam on top of concrete wall allows slow permeation of moisture through, rather than an impermeable barrier which would allow condensation and mold.  This, plus furring strips and drywall, and thats the story.  I'm tired of anecdotes that worked for some guy's house.  You can't stop the moisture, only manage it properly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: July 25, 2018, 12:25:56 PM »
You can't stop the moisture, only manage it properly.

Seems like a true statement.

My house has some moisture issues in the basement.  I bought the house and the lady left the AC off in the summer for two months after she moved out before we closed and I moved in.  In the meantime, the basement sweated like crazy, there were small puddles on the concrete floor and wet walls.  We were close to not closing thinking this lady didn't tell us about issues, but realized the airflow was really poor and we could resolve this by just turning on the AC in the house.

Now since then, the AC just makes the basement not sweat, but doesn't really keep the moisture out enough.  The lady had like a vent installed in the basement to remove air from the basement and shoot it outside.  I also got a dehumidifier.  We then added another vent for the central air to push air in the basement.  Eventually my AC unit failed and I got a much better one that has pretty good dehumidifier as well so I stopped using the stand alone and just set the humidity level low in my house and it just runs and takes care of it now.  I pretty much have no issues with moisture anymore.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #402 on: July 25, 2018, 12:28:14 PM »
This thread is a goldmine of information since I've found myself looking into buying a house. Just want to say thanks :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: August 02, 2018, 09:19:37 AM »
Was at LOWES on Tuesday and noticed they had a bunch of their perennial's considerably marked down....all $1 or less. Despite them not being in full bloom I scooped (52) plants up. Some are fall blooming so there's a good chance they'll bloom this fall....but I had to do it. "List" price total from the tags pre-tax was $318....final bill after tax was $74 and some change.

So here's a couple pics of the 'wall' project from this past spring with some plants planted. I have (3) more I want to buy to plant in the middle of the three sections still open up top....I'm wanting to get some Reddish perennial grasses....anyway.

One thing I did was re-arrange some of the end of the wall boulders I had set in place to create kind of a 'natural' end cap planter, her's a pic with the one in the upper left as a 'before' and the others are 'after':

A couple overview shots:

And you can see that the wildflower seeds I blasted the backside of the wall with are starting to pop through:

And I took a panoramic for the heck of it:

One thing that sucks and that I have to get on is this heat has destroyed the sod I installed in the spring. Gonna have to throw some TLC into it here in the fall months.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: August 02, 2018, 09:27:23 AM »
Nice

I did some weeding last weekend as the brush pickup for the town was this week and damn this is why having a house sucks  :lol  The heat made it so miserable, I kept having to go inside to hydrate and cool off.  I didn't even get to finish, but I got my main goal done.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
That looks smokin dude!

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: August 02, 2018, 10:26:20 AM »
That wall looks great Gary! 

And where have I been... never seen this thread before.  Need to start posting more I guess!

My wife and I threw this down last October:

We have enjoyed it immensely since then!  Dug the ring out of the ground ourselves and placed the flagstones and boulders ourselves (one man boulders my a$$)... I designed it and had a friend deliver the stones.  Also dug a few stones out of the Holston River to fill in the gaps.  All in all I'm very pleased with it!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: August 02, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »

***snip***

We have enjoyed it immensely since then!  Dug the ring out of the ground ourselves and placed the flagstones and boulders ourselves (one man boulders my a$$)... I designed it and had a friend deliver the stones.  Also dug a few stones out of the Holston River to fill in the gaps.  All in all I'm very pleased with it!

Yeah...that looks awesome!!! Back yard fire pits are so fun. Really good job on that.  :tup

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: August 02, 2018, 10:32:25 AM »

***snip***

Yeah...that looks awesome!!! Back yard fire pits are so fun. Really good job on that.  :tup

Thanks man!  Inside the boulder ring is an actual 2' deep pit lined with river rock and sand, so we really have some raging fires if I don't carefully manage the airflow.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: August 02, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
I'm planning a fire pit for next year. Good job, vtgrad!

Gary,

I like what you've done and it will look real cool when the plants mature!

Holy shit, your sod took a beating! I've had pretty good luck with seeding in the fall and then over-seeding near the end of winter before last of the snow is gone. All my lawn is blue-grass though, I don't know what kind of grass you grow there so I don't know if my method would work for you.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: August 02, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
Love the fire pit, also love how you pulled some of the stones out of a river yourself  :yarr

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: August 02, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
Gary,

I like what you've done and it will look real cool when the plants mature!

Holy shit, your sod took a beating! I've had pretty good luck with seeding in the fall and then over-seeding near the end of winter before last of the snow is gone. All my lawn is blue-grass though, I don't know what kind of grass you grow there so I don't know if my method would work for you.

It was Fescue sod. The issue was two fold. First, I should have prepped the ground a bit better than I did prior to laying the sod. I spread some fertilizer designed for pre-sod dirt but the dirt itself wasn’t very thick/deep. I should have brought in a layer of clean top soil but I didn’t.

Then to make things worse we got hammered in a three week stretch where it was blistering heat outside. Lots of 95 degree plus weather with zero precipitation. I watered the sod but it was just so freaking hot and there is zero shade in that part of the yard. Just got cooked.

I think I’m going to bring in a bit of top soil and spread a light layer across the dead sod.....over seed and just go from there when it cools down in the fall. I think between that and then re-seeding/over seeding in the spring I should be able to get something going. Plus, I bought a sprinkler system that has a timer now so it’s getting regular watering.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: August 02, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
Love the fire pit, also love how you pulled some of the stones out of a river yourself  :yarr

Thank you!  :tup  Pulling the stone out of the Holston River (North Fork runs beside one of my offices) was an adventure for my wife and I; took two five gallon buckets, stood in the middle of the river bed flowing about mid calf, and filled them half-way full each trip so that we could get back up the slope to the truck and dump them.  Made three trips there, four or five trips down-stream several miles and made two or three trips at an old fishing spot of my father's upstream from my office.  Found out later that pulling stones from that river (even the small amount that we pulled and being careful not to pull some much as to change the course of the river) would have landed me in hot water if a game-warden had seen it.  Makes for a good story!

The boulders and flagstone are some Hokie Stone (grey dolomite-limestone) and mostly Virginia Flagstone (Sandstone quartzite).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: September 07, 2018, 04:28:44 AM »
Fuk you Gawy Miwwerrr... I did buy a house!

https://www.myvisuallistings.com/pfs/263856

I should probably think about selling my existing house now.   :lol

tl;dr... bought a house, moving in Feb 28th

The story:
With the jingle.kids off to school, mrs.jingle and I had always known there was nothing holding us to the city where we live and planned to move shortly after they went off to school.  We love our house and property, but the city is turning to the shits - growing way too fast is causing a lot of other problems.  Ever since jingle.daughter's car accident in June, we've really noticed how dangerous driving is around here, crime is getting really bad, the infrastructure can't support the growth, and we have a huge south-asian population (like, greater than 50%), many who don't seem to adapt to Canadian culture very well (eg, terrible drivers).  I could make an entire huge-assed post just about how much I hate this city and can't get out fast enough, but I digress.

So this summer, we started casually looking around at houses in the Niagara region (somewhat close to where jingle.daughter is going to school - which would give her the option of living at home come 2nd year).  Mrs.jingle is committed (professionally) to staying here in our city until the end of October, so we aren't ready to sell our house until then.  But, we were definitely wanting to buy first, since this will (hopefully) be our 30-year home to live and grow old in together.  We were just looking to get a sense of what we liked/didn't like, where we liked/didn't like, what we could get for our budget etc...  Unless we found the perfect house, we really weren't wanting to buy/move until after Christmas.  Turns out, we found the perfect house.  One of our goals is that we were looking for a place that would be part way between the two schools that the jingle.kids were going to.  The only knock on this house is that it isn't that - it's further away from jingle.son, while still being relatively close enough to jingle.daughter that she could commute.

Absolutely love the house, huge/gorgeous property, move-in ready, end of Feb closing.  It's 5-minutes from the border in Buffalo (hence the big Sabres man-cave (none of which stays).  Pretty much all the stars aligned for us here.  After we saw this one, everything else paled in comparison - and a lot of places we saw were absolute tripe for the price that was being asked.  When we finally came to the realization that everything else we saw was a house, but this place felt like a home...  we knew we found our place.

So, time to start getting the current jingle.house in shape to be sold.  Nothing major... a few minor touchups, and a lot of de-cluttering.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:42:53 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #415 on: September 07, 2018, 05:31:40 AM »
Very lovely indeed, and the Jacuzzi is just the right not-small-not-large-but-cozy dirty size.

The mancave just screams Music Room.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: September 07, 2018, 06:18:22 AM »
That’s awesome Jingle I’m happy for you!

As for the Asian population I noticed in some areas it’s massive. My buddy lives in markham and I went out for a drive once while he was working and ran into strip malls that had zero English on them.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: September 07, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »
That’s awesome Jingle I’m happy for you!

As for the Asian population I noticed in some areas it’s massive. My buddy lives in markham and I went out for a drive once while he was working and ran into strip malls that had zero English on them.

Yeah, that end of the Greater Toronto Area is highly oriental.  Ours is more Indian/Pakistani

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #418 on: September 07, 2018, 09:06:43 AM »
Damn that's a pretty baller house. Petition for username to be changed to jingle.pimp
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: September 07, 2018, 02:36:09 PM »
Very nice and congrats jingle.pimp  :yarr