Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 99512 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #945 on: January 19, 2022, 02:57:18 PM »
With rates being low, is anyone planning on refinancing?

I just saw this and my wife and I refinanced at the end of last year. We wanted to do some home improvements and we did a cash out refi. Our original loan was 3.5% for 30 years, we have about 25 years left on our loan so we refi'd to 20 years at 2.83% and took 60k out for various projects. Our monthly payment went up only $260 a month.

Speaking of home projects our first project started. The first floor is getting all new floors, we are getting rid of the engineered hardwood and bought some vinyl plank. I feel bad for the dudes ripping the old floor up, apparently the glue used was intense and what should've taken a day is taken 3 days to tear it up. So much cursing coming from downstairs :lol

I've been buying lunch for them daily to hopefully ease the suckiness that is our floor lol.

So long as they didn't give you a fixed price quote, I'm sure they'll manage.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: January 19, 2022, 06:25:05 PM »
Working in remodeling, I can say there are few things that will cause the profanity to fly like starting to demo a floor and realizing it is glued down.

We put in vinyl plank at most of our jobs. I installed it in our bathrooms last year. Great way to enhance a room without blowing up your budget (or your back).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: January 19, 2022, 06:39:20 PM »
Yea, we initially wanted to just lay the plank over our existing floor but because it's textured the manufacturer won't warranty the floor and we have a high chance for moisture and mold issues.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #948 on: February 07, 2022, 05:02:21 AM »
We had an offer on a new house accepted on the 31st. Busted our asses to get our house on the market on the 4th. And had 6 offers by the 6th. Absolutely crazy times in the real estate market right now. I'm happy with what we're getting for our current home as we plan a bunch of updates in the new house right away. Looking forward to a new chapter in the xizor household.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #949 on: February 07, 2022, 06:54:56 AM »
We had an offer on a new house accepted on the 31st. Busted our asses to get our house on the market on the 4th. And had 6 offers by the 6th. Absolutely crazy times in the real estate market right now. I'm happy with what we're getting for our current home as we plan a bunch of updates in the new house right away. Looking forward to a new chapter in the xizor household.

That's exciting! Congrats and good luck on finding the right spot for your next chapter to begin!  :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #950 on: February 07, 2022, 09:31:02 AM »

That's exciting! Congrats and good luck on finding the right spot for your next chapter to begin!  :tup
We're moving a whopping 15 miles away to a slightly larger house with a little over an acre of land. With 4 kids we need more room to breathe!

Now I get to play the game today of working with two different mortgage lenders and trying to get them to reduce their closing costs to get a better deal. I'm questioning whether it's worth too much effort to save a few hundred bucks on closing costs when we're talking about nearly half a million dollars for the house. But a couple hundred bucks for a few minutes of effort isn't so bad I guess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: February 08, 2022, 07:04:03 PM »
I just spent an hour cleaning the house because the cleaning lady is coming tomorrow? This is what my wife asked me and the boys to do. Makes zero sense but you have to pick your battles. Not the hill I’ll die on today.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: February 08, 2022, 07:46:34 PM »
Have had this conversation at home a few times. My wife grew up with a cleaning lady at her house, I did not. I thought the appropriate course would be to leave the place a pig sty and pay the lady to take care of it, but she said the lady's job was to clean, not tidy. Meaning, for example, vacuuming the floor, not picking up all the crap first to get to it. So her family had to "clean," or tidy up, before the gal could "clean." Made sense when she explained it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #953 on: February 08, 2022, 07:54:16 PM »
I just spent an hour cleaning the house because the cleaning lady is coming tomorrow? This is what my wife asked me and the boys to do. Makes zero sense but you have to pick your battles. Not the hill I’ll die on today.

:lol

A few years ago, we used someone to help clean the house. This was when my wife was taking on more responsibility at work, and my job was not forgiving at all, along with ...our kids. My wife would be freaking out..."The cleaning lady is coming tomorrow, we have to straighten this place out." :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: February 08, 2022, 08:35:35 PM »
Have had this conversation at home a few times. My wife grew up with a cleaning lady at her house, I did not. I thought the appropriate course would be to leave the place a pig sty and pay the lady to take care of it, but she said the lady's job was to clean, not tidy. Meaning, for example, vacuuming the floor, not picking up all the crap first to get to it. So her family had to "clean," or tidy up, before the gal could "clean." Made sense when she explained it.

This is essentially it. And I do get it. It’s just funny and ironic.

I will say…..I resisted for years my wife’s petition to utilize a cleaning lady. We have a lot of neighbors that use one…..she has been asking for some time. Then one of my best friends tells me how he just gave in on the cleaning lady request and that it was the best thing ever.

So, I relented and sure enough…..it’s pretty sweet. We only use her once a month but I’ll be damned if it isn’t incredible. The grab bars on our glass sliding shower doors look like they’re floating in mid air. Just all the nooks and crannies spic and span and the last time she came she cleaned my coffee pot. I’d have sworn she just bought a new one of the same model.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #955 on: February 08, 2022, 08:42:33 PM »
Yeah, that was the same here, Gary. Our neighbors used a girl, and my wife approached her. I resisted as well. I mean, how demeaning? :lol

But since my wife was the one that really CLEANED the house, I gave in. I kind of felt bad that I didn't do enough, but being gone over 11 hours a day and having two young kids...I'm not sure what else I could do. I clean, but apparently I don't...clean. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #956 on: February 08, 2022, 08:47:00 PM »

This is essentially it. And I do get it. It’s just funny and ironic.

I will say…..I resisted for years my wife’s petition to utilize a cleaning lady. We have a lot of neighbors that use one…..she has been asking for some time. Then one of my best friends tells me how he just gave in on the cleaning lady request and that it was the best thing ever.

So, I relented and sure enough…..it’s pretty sweet. We only use her once a month but I’ll be damned if it isn’t incredible. The grab bars on our glass sliding shower doors look like they’re floating in mid air. Just all the nooks and crannies spic and span and the last time she came she cleaned my coffee pot. I’d have sworn she just bought a new one of the same model.

I may have to hit you up for this lady's number, Gary, as I bought a condo last spring and was thinking of having a cleaning person come in here and there to do the deep cleaning.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #957 on: February 08, 2022, 10:48:33 PM »
So my wife and I payed off our mortgage on our house last month. I can't tell you how good a feeling it is to have no house payment, to not have to owe anyone anything for our house (other than property tax.... :\ )

Now we can start putting more money into savings and into improving the house. Thinking of completely re-landscaping the backyard, which is about 3/4 of an acre. It's already fenced in, but it needs some TLC.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #958 on: February 09, 2022, 05:44:20 AM »
So my wife and I payed off our mortgage on our house last month. I can't tell you how good a feeling it is to have no house payment, to not have to owe anyone anything for our house (other than property tax.... :\ )

Yeah, that is a pretty sweet feeling.  :hifive:

On the cleaning service topic, we were the exact opposite.  mrs.jingle for years would lament about how much cleaning she did, and I would continually encourage us to get a service.  But then she'd fight against it - and I mean FIGHT.  I never got it - complain about a problem, but then absolutely refuse to take an action that will solve the problem.  And cleaning is not the only topic that I could apply that sentence to - but this is the home ownership thread, not the relationship thread.   :D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: February 09, 2022, 06:07:00 AM »

Yeah, that is a pretty sweet feeling.  :hifive:

Welcome to the mortgage free club. It's a happy place.

When Mrs. P retired she cancelled our cleaning service, figuring (I guess) that since she'll be home all the time she can do it. Now, y'all don't have to tell her, but she's not as good as the service. I mean, neither one of us is messy and we aren't comfortable with clutter, so it's not like a roach motel or anything. But it was awful wonderful to have everything glass (mirrors, shower walls, windows) polished to perfection one per month. They always got the corners, the tile in the shower, the dust bunnies under the bed. Last week I pulled down a bottle of Scotch from the bar top shelf and there was 1/32 of dust on its shoulders. I sighed and got out a bar towel and pulled every bottle down a cleaned them. I miss Sadie and her crew.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #960 on: February 09, 2022, 07:32:25 AM »
I would have a cleaning person in here in a HEARTBEAT.   My wife is old school, "I can do it!" (as a teenager, going through school, she worked as a cleaning person at a local hotel).   But it takes time, and it's too easy to get interrupted mid-stream.   We did use one for a while when we both worked full time and it was golden.   I haven't been able to get back to that so far.

And yes, I would rather pay them to clean the toilets, showers and rugs than clean up my soiled underwear. So we straighten up before they arrive. ;)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: February 09, 2022, 09:00:31 AM »
We've tried a few cleaning services and haven't really found one we liked. I was really anti-housekeeping for a long time and felt like it was a unnecessary expense but after I buckled and got someone to come once a month at my apartment a few years ago I would easily sacrifice going out for a meal to afford having a housekeeper.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: February 09, 2022, 09:25:56 AM »
We've tried a few cleaning services and haven't really found one we liked. I was really anti-housekeeping for a long time and felt like it was a unnecessary expense but after I buckled and got someone to come once a month at my apartment a few years ago I would easily sacrifice going out for a meal to afford having a housekeeper.

The one rub:  They almost ALWAYS start out a house afire, cleaning like little gremlins, then after about six months, give or take, you start to see where they take the shortcuts.   

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #963 on: February 09, 2022, 09:35:13 AM »

I was like this too and was always like - we're an empty nest, there's NO reason why we can't keep this place clean. Well, the truth is we suck at basic house cleaning. So we got someone to come in weekly for 50.00 a week and it was really nice to come home from work each week to have your bedsheets changed and floors mopped not to mention clean toilets.

We've since moved and I am looking for someone to come in once a month. And yes - they will eventually take shortcuts.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: February 09, 2022, 09:45:18 AM »

The one rub:  They almost ALWAYS start out a house afire, cleaning like little gremlins, then after about six months, give or take, you start to see where they take the shortcuts.   

Very true, it's why we have had such a hard time finding a good service in Charlotte. I loved the person we had in Florida, she was awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: February 09, 2022, 09:46:26 AM »
I really should hire a cleaning service.  As a solo dude with a cat in the house, I definitely don't keep up with the cleaning as much as I should.  I don't like clutter, so everything's usually put away and the house isn't a mess, but I don't scrub the hard to get places nearly enough and my desire to is very low.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: February 09, 2022, 09:51:38 AM »
Give it a shot Cram, it's really is nice. We have the house cleaned once a month.

I still maintenance clean around the house. We have a German Sheperd who sheds all the time so I vacuum daily but it's not the level the cleaners do it.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #967 on: February 09, 2022, 10:10:38 AM »
Give it a shot Cram, it's really is nice. We have the house cleaned once a month.

I still maintenance clean around the house. We have a German Sheperd who sheds all the time so I vacuum daily but it's not the level the cleaners do it.

Do you mind if I ask how much per month? My neighbor pays 150.00 per month to clean basically a trailer. We have a 2 story house.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: February 09, 2022, 10:13:38 AM »

Do you mind if I ask how much per month? My neighbor pays 150.00 per month to clean basically a trailer. We have a 2 story house.

I was paying $150 every three weeks, if memory serves.  Four bedrooms, two and a half baths.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #969 on: February 09, 2022, 10:29:29 AM »

I was paying $150 every three weeks, if memory serves.  Four bedrooms, two and a half baths.

That's actually not bad.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: February 09, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »

We're right at that $160.00. She's usually there for 4 hours....maybe a touch more but no less than that. Once a month. We're in a 2 story, 2.5 baths.....decent size 3200 sq. ft. home. It's one lady and she freaking gets after it. She's essentially our subdivisions cleaning lady.....there are a ton of neighbors that use her.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: February 09, 2022, 11:33:55 AM »

We're moving a whopping 15 miles away to a slightly larger house with a little over an acre of land. With 4 kids we need more room to breathe!

Now I get to play the game today of working with two different mortgage lenders and trying to get them to reduce their closing costs to get a better deal. I'm questioning whether it's worth too much effort to save a few hundred bucks on closing costs when we're talking about nearly half a million dollars for the house. But a couple hundred bucks for a few minutes of effort isn't so bad I guess.

Not sure where you are in the country, but UWM (United Wholesale Mortgage) is currently offering an Appraisal Credit up to $600 for Primary Residence purchases.  If you're working with a Broker (and you should be  :biggrin:), ask if they work with UWM and if so, ask them to price you.  UWM is normally fairly quick for Conventional Market depending upon Appraisal timing (my average is 20-days).

If you're making a 10% or greater down-payment, you may also receive an Appraisal Waiver from Fannie or Freddie; the originator will know once the file has been run through DU/LPA.

If you're not working with a Mortgage Broker that has UWM in the fold, PM me and I'll find you a trustworthy (as far as I can tell anyway) Broker in your state that can help you.  $600 in savings isn't nothing...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #972 on: February 09, 2022, 12:33:18 PM »

Not sure where you are in the country, but UWM (United Wholesale Mortgage) is currently offering an Appraisal Credit up to $600 for Primary Residence purchases.  If you're working with a Broker (and you should be  :biggrin:), ask if they work with UWM and if so, ask them to price you.  UWM is normally fairly quick for Conventional Market depending upon Appraisal timing (my average is 20-days).

If you're making a 10% or greater down-payment, you may also receive an Appraisal Waiver from Fannie or Freddie; the originator will know once the file has been run through DU/LPA.

If you're not working with a Mortgage Broker that has UWM in the fold, PM me and I'll find you a trustworthy (as far as I can tell anyway) Broker in your state that can help you.  $600 in savings isn't nothing...
Thanks for the offer. I already have the financing squared away. I went back and forth between a couple local mortgage providers and got the closing costs as low as I could. The guy I went with said he's surprised more people don't do what I did. He was able to discount me an additional $500 (on top of the other discounts he originally offered) to get my business just because I sent him the costs of the other guy, which were lower at the time. It never hurts to ask. $500 on a nearly half million dollar mortgage is pretty negligible, but I spent maybe 2 hours total to save $500. $250 and hour is a pretty good use of my time.

Online Harmony

« Reply #973 on: February 09, 2022, 01:10:14 PM »
Paying for a housekeeper twice a month is the best money I spend.  Hands down.  I pay $135 each time including tip.  We have a large-ish house 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths.  With the amount of cat hair my fuzz balls put out, just getting the floors super cleaned every 2 weeks is worth every penny.  Plus it forces us to keep up with the clutter that accumulates as we must tidy up before our gal comes.  We've been paying for this service for easily over 20 years now.

I have another question for home owners out there.  Do you purchase a home warranty for appliances/plumbing/electrical repairs?  I was talking to a friend yesterday who pays $40 a month for hers and she loves it.  Her furnace just went out and they paid all the repair costs and she got to choose the repair service she wanted.  She was also saying that as appliances are typically kaput after 7 years, not having to pay the cost to replace them is paying for the warranty annually.  Our washer/dryer and stove are probably due to die in the next couple of years (hopefully) so we are considering it.  The cost of appliances are staggering.  We just had the mother board on our stove replaced today (it took 2 months to get the part) and it was $350.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: February 09, 2022, 01:56:15 PM »
When I purchased my house, I purchased a home warranty to cover the costs of potentially failing appliances that came with the house for 2 years.  That expired.  I never used it during that time frame and I never renewed it.  My experience with any paid warranty type of service is that it always expires right before something breaks  :lol so I'm not a big fan of purchasing such things, but I can see cases where it ends up being beneficial.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: February 09, 2022, 03:25:01 PM »

Thanks for the offer. I already have the financing squared away. I went back and forth between a couple local mortgage providers and got the closing costs as low as I could. The guy I went with said he's surprised more people don't do what I did. He was able to discount me an additional $500 (on top of the other discounts he originally offered) to get my business just because I sent him the costs of the other guy, which were lower at the time. It never hurts to ask. $500 on a nearly half million dollar mortgage is pretty negligible, but I spent maybe 2 hours total to save $500. $250 and hour is a pretty good use of my time.

You're welcome  :tup  Offer extends to everyone... I'm happy to help!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #976 on: February 10, 2022, 08:47:56 AM »
No to the cleaning person.  We do it ourselves.  It's a 1,600 square foot house and is manageable.  I used to do the entire house in one day before we had kids.  Now, it gets messy.  I used to have some serious arguments about that, but I've learned to be more lax with the cleaning to have a happier household.

We have never bought a home warranty, aside from when we bought the house and it was included.  I have enough mechanical people in my family that can help out when needed.  My dad is a retired HVAC technician, so he's always around to help keep the furnace and AC running, and I get ideas from him when I need them.  Getting him out of the house and working with his hands again is a good thing.

The gas valve went out on our dryer and it was leaking gas about a year ago.  When it was running, it would burn the gas off, but when it was not running, the drum would fill up with gas and would smell.  We replaced the part for half the cost of a new dryer. 

We've been fortunate that our income and focus on building up our savings account allows us to buy a new appliance.   So far, it's just been a new washer, dryer, dishwasher and microwave over the last 6 years.  Not because any of them truly went out, but simply because they were old and needed to be replaced.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: February 10, 2022, 02:24:25 PM »

Sorry for responding so late. The last cleaner we had was $210 a month for our two story 2500sq ft house

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #978 on: April 21, 2022, 07:36:01 AM »
Tax money was deposited this morning and I am shopping for a new fridge. My currently one is on it's last leg after a few years of limping along. Not a single one I've looked at can fit through the doorways of my house (1927 doorways). I have no clue how the current one got in. My best guess is it was either disassembled outside and brought in, or the door frames were removed. The doorframes look older than me though, so I don't think that was it.

Please advise.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: April 21, 2022, 07:41:15 AM »
Tax money was deposited this morning and I am shopping for a new fridge. Not a single one I've looked at can fit through the doorways of my house (1927 doorways). I have no clue how the current one got in. My best guess is it was either disassembled outside and brought in, or the door frames were removed. The doorframes look older than me though, so I don't think that was it.

Please advise.

Just had this issue last year and my house was only 7 years old at the time and the doorways are standard. I did what you mentioned, I took off the doors and the handle to the freezer below and then reassembled once inside. The newer fridge's are pretty 'easy' to take the doors off....just a pain in the butt having to do it.