Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 102524 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #910 on: July 31, 2021, 07:57:02 AM »
With rates being low, is anyone planning on refinancing?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #911 on: July 31, 2021, 09:11:09 AM »
We’ve lived in our house for almost 17 years, saved up enough to finish the balance on our mortgage and now have zero house payments for hopefully the rest of our lives.

Feels good man.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: July 31, 2021, 10:05:00 AM »

I did about this time last year. Will save me tens of thousands and will be paid off sooner.

T-ski, love it. Except for the lawn... if those are weeds, get on that!!!  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #913 on: July 31, 2021, 10:30:53 AM »
We’ve lived in our house for almost 17 years, saved up enough to finish the balance on our mortgage and now have zero house payments for hopefully the rest of our lives.

Feels good man.

That's awesome!!!! I can't imagine what that feeling must feel like!!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #914 on: July 31, 2021, 10:31:04 AM »

You wouldn’t want to see my lawn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #915 on: July 31, 2021, 10:32:29 AM »

We refinanced last fall....definitely worth it. It dropped our payment by $530 dollars.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline T-ski

« Reply #916 on: July 31, 2021, 10:47:42 AM »

I did about this time last year. Will save me tens of thousands and will be paid off sooner.

Believe it or not, the lawn looks better now then when we moved in so I take that as a win.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #917 on: July 31, 2021, 10:51:41 AM »

I've been debating it. I'm 7.5 years into a 30 year note, but my interest rate is only 3.25% as it is. I have a PMI payment of $140ish a month that I wouldn't mind getting rid of though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: July 31, 2021, 11:36:12 AM »
I moved from a 30 to a 15 year term, which raised my monthly rate a bit but will save me over the long haul.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #919 on: August 01, 2021, 06:06:00 AM »

Feels good man.

That's awesome!!!! I can't imagine what that feeling must feel like!!!!

I can!  :neverusethis:  You'll get there one day Gary.

T-ski... welcome to the club  :hifive:

However, mrs.jingle and I really want (need) to re-model our kitchen - it's horribly small (for our purposes/liking), and directly attached to the main floor living room (open concept).  Anyone watching TV either has to pause or crank the volume whenever someone else is in the kitchen doing anything even as simple as running the tap.  So, what was initially just planned to be a kitchen (only) remodel is beginning to morph into a bigger renovation, adding a new master bedroom as a partial 2nd level (we're in a bungalow at the moment).  We're gonna have a designer in to discuss options and costs in a couple of weeks.

Technically, we'd still be "mortgage" free, but we'd be debt financing it against our LOC.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: August 02, 2021, 10:23:15 AM »

I've been debating it. I'm 7.5 years into a 30 year note, but my interest rate is only 3.25% as it is. I have a PMI payment of $140ish a month that I wouldn't mind getting rid of though.

I'm basically the same.  I keep getting mail from lenders telling me to call them to do this.  I really think I should, but I may want to do this:

I moved from a 30 to a 15 year term, which raised my monthly rate a bit but will save me over the long haul.

I kind of don't want to start another 30 year count down.  If I could get a 15 year note that when considering a lower rate and no PMI, maybe it could be similar to what I currently pay per month.  I really need to speak to one of these people who keep mailing me.

The zillow estimate on my house is wayyyy more than what I paid for it on my mortgage, so I think that also might significantly help me if it gets re-appraised. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #921 on: August 03, 2021, 07:57:46 AM »
To those of you on the fence about refinancing to a 15 year note - DO IT!!

Your monthly payment will not go up that much and it's a quick way to build up equity. I'm not sure what the requirements for PMI is these days but it's pretty much a scam IMO.

Also, there's some calculation that if you pay one extra payment per year, you can payoff the house in something like 10 years (or something like that).

There's nothing like being a true home owner!  :tup

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #922 on: August 03, 2021, 08:40:01 AM »
Also, there's some calculation that if you pay one extra payment per year, you can payoff the house in something like 10 years (or something like that).

There's nothing like being a true home owner!  :tup

I've never done out all the math, but I throw an extra $100 at my payment every month. It knocks 3 or 4 principal payments (pending what my current taxes are) off every year.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #923 on: September 02, 2021, 06:08:31 AM »
6" of water in the basement and two flooded cannabis tents. Joy!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: September 02, 2021, 07:52:32 AM »

Oh snap!!  That's some nasty looking flooding going on down there.  Hope your insurance isn't going to dick you around.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: September 02, 2021, 09:27:40 AM »
My sump pumps were put to work last night (and still going before I left for work this morning).  My local area was fortunate but damn a lot of the surrounding areas are destroyed from the flooding.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #926 on: September 07, 2021, 05:55:38 AM »

Oh snap!!  That's some nasty looking flooding going on down there.  Hope your insurance isn't going to dick you around.

Turns out I'm not covered for flooding below ground level. Luckily the only thing that seems effed is my hot water heater. One of my best buds is an HVAC technician by trade and he stopped over on Sunday. We had the thing apart and he was able to diagnose the problem. I'm struggling to find the part in stock anywhere. I'm guessing it's pretty in demand seeing as most people I know had some degree of flooding issues last week.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #927 on: September 07, 2021, 06:32:54 AM »
I don't know what "part" you're needing but when I bought my house in July, I knew going in that my AC didn't work, and I gambled that it was something fixable.   Turns out it was coolant and a controller board.   They filled the coolant on site, but I had to wait almost two weeks for the controller board - a standard part on every system that has a thermostat - to be back-ordered.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #928 on: September 07, 2021, 06:34:34 AM »
Was that your recent move? I wonder if it was because of the chip shortage.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: September 07, 2021, 06:41:10 AM »
Was that your recent move? I wonder if it was because of the chip shortage.

Yeah. This last July.   I think it was exactly that.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #930 on: October 19, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »
I looked around a bit but didn't see any thread about home remodeling.  Apologies if this isn't in the right spot but...

We are starting the 2nd phase of our remodeling adventures now that we are officially empty nesters.  One of the bedrooms upstairs is being turned into a workout/yoga studio.  One issue we've had with the rooms upstairs is that basically the folks downstairs can hear every footfall.  Imagine what it sounds like when a 200 pound man is doing jumping jacks or I'm on the treadmill.  LOUD.

Our contractor advised us to look into cork flooring. And so far, I'm pretty impressed with the looks of what I'm seeing online and the fact that it is a good choice for low impact to the environment.  Reasonably priced, good cushioning.  It will definitely be a great sound buffer too.

Has anyone here worked with cork flooring and if so, what would you say are the pros/cons?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: October 19, 2021, 02:55:06 PM »
I'm more interested in the sound part; I have an office that is unfinished, but right below the kitchen.  I'm going to refinish it over the winter (I hope) but I have to deal with the fact that whenever my 250-lb. step son and/or the dogs are in the kitchen it's like trying to work at a NASCAR race.    :tdwn

As for cork, I've never had it in my home(s), but I know it to be soft, and so if you have work-out equipment and what not, you may need additional coverings, whether it's a mat or a rug or something.  I think it can last pretty long if you take care of it, but that could mean refinishing if the wear becomes noticeable.  I'd be worried about it swelling too, if it gets wet. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: October 20, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
I can ask the guys at work. I've only been at it for a couple years, but I've never heard of cork flooring. Sound between floors has never come up on any of our projects, except for one family, who insisted on 5/8 drywall and rock wool insulation throughout their basement, to dampen the noise as much as possible.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #933 on: October 21, 2021, 06:49:30 PM »
So apparently - like everything else - cork flooring is not readily available right now.  So we are going with a vinyl overlay on top of cork.  Kind of a 2 in 1.  Hopefully it will help with the sound issue.  We should know by January so I will report back.

I'm kinda bummed about not getting to consider it because I thought it sounded really cool.  This will look good though.  I haven't gotten the price yet.  I seem to have a knack for picking out the most expensive shit.  I'm certain this won't be the exception.   :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: October 22, 2021, 04:42:38 AM »
I've got these in my workout room, and in another storage room in our basement (which is currently doubling as jingle.son's 'school' room).  They're laid right on the concrete floor and are absolutely fantastic at insulating from the cold of the concrete.  Obviously, I've got no idea how they are at insulating from sound/footfalls below, but given how good they are with the temperature, I've got to believe they'd be pretty good at absorbing sound and vibration.

If you go this route, I highly suggest the 3/4" thickness.  You can get 'em on Amazon.  They were about $2CAD/sq ft.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #935 on: October 22, 2021, 06:15:06 AM »
I've got those things all over. They're great! I use them for kneeling on whenever I'm working on stuff around the house or servicing something like my snow blower.

Before messing up my back and getting away from the rower and heavy weights, I had them in my workout space. They were excellent.

This is what the space looks like now  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: October 22, 2021, 06:43:31 AM »
I've got these in my workout room, and in another storage room in our basement (which is currently doubling as jingle.son's 'school' room).  They're laid right on the concrete floor and are absolutely fantastic at insulating from the cold of the concrete.  Obviously, I've got no idea how they are at insulating from sound/footfalls below, but given how good they are with the temperature, I've got to believe they'd be pretty good at absorbing sound and vibration.

If you go this route, I highly suggest the 3/4" thickness.  You can get 'em on Amazon.  They were about $2CAD/sq ft.

That looks like the stuff that is on the floor at most hockey/ice-skating rinks.  It will last just about forever under normal use. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: October 22, 2021, 06:45:18 AM »
I've got those things all over. They're great! I use them for kneeling on whenever I'm working on stuff around the house or servicing something like my snow blower.

Before messing up my back and getting away from the rower and heavy weights, I had them in my workout space. They were excellent.

This is what the space looks like now  :lol

What is that on the floor of the new space?  I like the look of that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: October 22, 2021, 06:46:29 AM »
That's a nice bench (the workout one).  I wish I had one with a leg curl attachment.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #939 on: October 22, 2021, 06:55:49 AM »

What is that on the floor of the new space?  I like the look of that.

I'm guessing 30+ year old linoleum that I've scrubbed clean maybe 3 times in the 7 years I've been in the house  :lol

That's a nice bench (the workout one).  I wish I had one with a leg curl attachment.

I got that whole setup with weights for $100 a couple years ago and sold it all for $450 at the beginning of Covid.

This might be a good time to find that sort of thing used online. Lots of people bought stuff when the gyms closed and are looking to dump it as they get back into the gyms.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #940 on: October 22, 2021, 08:34:32 AM »
No offense Jingle, but my flooring will have a bit more of an esthetic look.  Think yoga/dance studio with a treadmill and stationary bike and maybe a few hand weights.  Less 24 hour fitness.   :P

But hey - we all have our own visions and as long as it gets the job done in regard to health and fitness, then it is a win/win.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: October 22, 2021, 11:19:41 AM »
No offense Jingle, but my flooring will have a bit more of an esthetic look.  Think yoga/dance studio with a treadmill and stationary bike and maybe a few hand weights.  Less 24 hour fitness.   :P

Well then, you'd get a chuckle out of my setup

Offline Harmony

« Reply #942 on: October 22, 2021, 11:39:32 AM »
Hey you did a great job on that!  It looks so much better than the before photos.

Nice equipment too.   ;) :-*

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: October 22, 2021, 12:42:50 PM »
Hey you did a great job on that!  It looks so much better than the before photos.

Nice equipment too.   ;) :-*

:heybaby:

:rollin

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: January 19, 2022, 02:53:12 PM »

I just saw this and my wife and I refinanced at the end of last year. We wanted to do some home improvements and we did a cash out refi. Our original loan was 3.5% for 30 years, we have about 25 years left on our loan so we refi'd to 20 years at 2.83% and took 60k out for various projects. Our monthly payment went up only $260 a month.

Speaking of home projects our first project started. The first floor is getting all new floors, we are getting rid of the engineered hardwood and bought some vinyl plank. I feel bad for the dudes ripping the old floor up, apparently the glue used was intense and what should've taken a day is taken 3 days to tear it up. So much cursing coming from downstairs :lol

I've been buying lunch for them daily to hopefully ease the suckiness that is our floor lol.