Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 103059 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #560 on: June 09, 2020, 06:52:20 AM »
I'm using an online mail order service called Lawn Serv this summer. They send me a box every month with the products I need to apply. They test a sample of my soil to see what nutrients it's deficient in. There's an all natural option (with no weed control) and even in the option I did with weed control, all of the fertilizers are natural (plant and fish based) and pet friendly. So far so good after two months. The weeds are more under control than they've been in years. Though the first fertilizer smelled a bit like a fishy swamp, but it dissipated quickly.

This looks promising.

Thanks for the tip!  :tup

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #561 on: July 21, 2020, 08:46:49 AM »
(The fact that I'm even making this post makes me feel old)

Exciting day yesterday, folks. Over the weekend, I finally had it with my Echo weed wacker, so I stopped at Home Depot to buy a replacement. I said to well with an ICE and settled on a cordless 60V Dewalt model. Holy. Fucking. Shit.... the power on this thing is absolutely unreal. On the low setting I'd say it has the same power (if not more) my Echo did, and on high it's just ridiculous. It sawed through everything I put in its path, including some tree saplings. I did everything in the yard I needed to and then just went into the woods and started blasting through stuff, primarily to get an idea how long the battery lasts. I got bored and went in before it ran out, so that's cool.

So PSA: If you're in the market for a new wacker, consider one of those. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #562 on: July 21, 2020, 09:38:02 AM »
(The fact that I'm even making this post makes me feel old)

Exciting day yesterday, folks. Over the weekend, I finally had it with my Echo weed wacker, so I stopped at Home Depot to buy a replacement. I said to well with an ICE and settled on a cordless 60V Dewalt model. Holy. Fucking. Shit.... the power on this thing is absolutely unreal. On the low setting I'd say it has the same power (if not more) my Echo did, and on high it's just ridiculous. It sawed through everything I put in its path, including some tree saplings. I did everything in the yard I needed to and then just went into the woods and started blasting through stuff, primarily to get an idea how long the battery lasts. I got bored and went in before it ran out, so that's cool.

So PSA: If you're in the market for a new wacker, consider one of those.

:lol    Your preface is pretty funny.....but yeah....I'm about to go and switch to battery weed whacker and blower. The ones I have now are corded and are pain in the butt. I bought a KOBALT electric mower last year and it's been great so I think I'm going to buy an additional 40V battery and get the battery whacker and blower.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #563 on: July 21, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »
I’ve got the Kobalt mower (had it for years), and blower. Most of my other tools, including trimmer, are Black & Decker... only the 20V batteries tho. 40V makes a huge difference in both power and holding a charge. I go thru 3 batteries to trim the grass - mind you, I have an acre of property.

<awaits dirty jokes>
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #564 on: July 21, 2020, 10:33:14 AM »
We made the jump to battery a couple of years ago. We have an Oregon blower, weed eater and push mower and all three products are awesome!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #565 on: July 21, 2020, 10:34:06 AM »
Yeah, my weed wacker uses a lithium battery.  I don't use a leaf blower anymore. I collect them with my lawnmower and toss them in the woods.  Though my Craftsman lawnmower uses gas.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #566 on: July 21, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »
I'm on the fence about getting a battery powered leaf blower. I have a bunch of oaks on my property and spend 20+ hours a year between fall and spring clearing hundreds of pounds of leaves (usually wet). I currently use a Husqvarna backpack blower that clocks in just shy of a 300mph breath. Is battery technology at a point yet where it can match that kind of performance for a sustained period of time? I'd love to get a battery-powered blower, but I'm not sure if they're up to snuff yet, for my needs anyway.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #567 on: July 21, 2020, 10:44:01 AM »
I'm on the fence about getting a battery powered leaf blower. I have a bunch of oaks on my property and spend 20+ hours a year between fall and spring clearing hundreds of pounds of leaves (usually wet). I currently use a Husqvarna backpack blower that clocks in just shy of a 300mph breath. Is battery technology at a point yet where it can match that kind of performance for a sustained period of time? I'd love to get a battery-powered blower, but I'm not sure if they're up to snuff yet, for my needs anyway.

Yeah I can understand that. For me it's practical because in large part I'm only blowing grass clippings off the concrete or a small batch of leaves. Large jobs like that makes perfect sense to stick with the power and duration.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #568 on: July 21, 2020, 12:43:23 PM »
This makes me feel like a neanderthal. I have a Stihl weedwacker and chainsaw (both gas), and a Craftsman blower and mower (both gas).  I suppose if I ever want to date Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez I need to switch to batteries. 

(I'm just making a joke there, just to say I get that there's a benefit to the environment if I switch.)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: July 21, 2020, 12:47:10 PM »
This makes me feel like a neanderthal. I have a Stihl weedwacker and chainsaw (both gas), and a Craftsman blower and mower (both gas).  I suppose if I ever want to date Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez I need to switch to batteries. 

(I'm just making a joke there, just to say I get that there's a benefit to the environment if I switch.)

Well, I inherited a John Deere tractor that's probably gonna give me cancer from the emissions it's pumping off, so I'm not 100% green.  Also, the snowthrower is full gas.  Not sure I've ever seen a battery operated snow-thrower, though I wouldn't doubt they're coming.

@ Brian... yeah, I doubt you're gonna find a cost-effective option to match your rocket pack equivalent.  I dunno if 80V models might match it, but then it's gonna be a bitch on your forearms carrying it around.  The 40V is already cumbersome enough that I wouldn't want to be carrying it around for much more than 20-30 minutes at a time.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #570 on: July 21, 2020, 12:50:45 PM »

Even if there was no added benefit to the environment itself, I can think of plenty of other perks.

- I hate working on gas engines. Speed controllers, batteries, and brushless motors are very much in my wheelhouse. I think they are easier for the public in general to service themselves as well.
- Reduced noise. You can beat the heat and start yard work earlier without having to worry about waking/pissing off the neighbors
- Increased level of comfort while in use. An electric motor isn't going to want to shake itself apart like an ICE, making them easier to handle for long periods of time.
- NO PULL STARTERS!
- Can converse with neighbors without having to turn the machine off and back on (a PTIA with a backpack blower).
- Wall mounted battery charges take up way less room in a shed or garage than gas cans
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:57:50 PM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #571 on: July 21, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »

Well, I inherited a John Deere tractor that's probably gonna give me cancer from the emissions it's pumping off, so I'm not 100% green.  Also, the snowthrower is full gas.  Not sure I've ever seen a battery operated snow-thrower, though I wouldn't doubt they're coming.

@ Brian... yeah, I doubt you're gonna find a cost-effective option to match your rocket pack equivalent.  I dunno if 80V models might match it, but then it's gonna be a bitch on your forearms carrying it around.  The 40V is already cumbersome enough that I wouldn't want to be carrying it around for much more than 20-30 minutes at a time.

I've seen electric snow blowers with a single stage, but I don't think I've ever seen a two stage one electrified. I'd be shocked if we didn't see those emerge within the next decade.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #572 on: July 21, 2020, 12:59:22 PM »
We're finally getting our act together to get some stuff done around the house. New flooring, trim, and paint. We've been wanting to do something for years, but have been paralyzed with indecision on what to do. We're now basically deciding that good is better than perfect. Almost anything would be better than what we have now.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #573 on: July 21, 2020, 01:04:11 PM »
We're finally getting our act together to get some stuff done around the house. New flooring, trim, and paint. We've been wanting to do something for years, but have been paralyzed with indecision on what to do. We're now basically deciding that good is better than perfect. Almost anything would be better than what we have now.

And "perfect" doesn't last that long anyway.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: July 21, 2020, 01:04:33 PM »
We made the switch to all battery yard equipment a couple of years ago (Ego brand). Mower, string trimmer, blower, edger, tiller head for the string trimmer. I've had to replace the string trimmer head (40 bucks) 'cause Mrs. P has a tendency to run it along the ground so the plastic wore down. Other than that, I'll never go back. The battery has enough juice to get through the entire sequence of mow, trim, edge, clean up with the blower...and then some.

If my Cub Cadet snow thrower ever dies, I'll get an Ego snow thrower too.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #575 on: July 21, 2020, 01:13:20 PM »

Even if there was no added benefit to the environment itself, I can think of plenty of other perks.

- I hate working on gas engines. Speed controllers, batteries, and brushless motors are very much in my wheelhouse. I think they are easier for the public in general to service themselves as well.
- Reduced noise. You can beat the heat and start yard work earlier without having to worry about waking/pissing off the neighbors
- Increased level of comfort while in use. An electric motor isn't going to want to shake itself apart like an ICE, making them easier to handle for long periods of time.
- NO PULL STARTERS!
- Can converse with neighbors without having to turn the machine off and back on (a PTIA with a backpack blower).
- Wall mounted battery charges take up way less room in a shed or garage than gas cans

All great points! One of the reasons we migrated to battery is that when we lived in Dallas, 5 of our immediate neighbors used the same landscape service and they would come on Saturday and if they didn't make it on Saturday, they would work on Sunday and during football season, that would piss me off!!  >:(

Imagine, it's 75 degrees outside, the house is open and a pot of chili is on the stove and your favorite football team is about to kick-off and the noise of power equipment goes on for the next 2 hours!  :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

That's the main reason why we went battery powered when we moved.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: July 21, 2020, 01:24:58 PM »

- NO PULL STARTERS!

It's funny; I am totally the opposite with respect to gas engines.  That's what I grew up on, and can basically make them do what I want.  The batteries are a foreign experience.

You've got me on everything else, by far.   My father in law has electric lawn equipment; I may stop by and see his and see them in action. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: July 21, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »
I'm not a fan of the gas powered equipment.  I just find it annoying to have to go out and buy the gas and store it.  I use a lawn service so I'm not out there doing it myself anymore, but I did start to move my equipment to electric and have been using a 100ft extension cord because I was concerned about the batteries not lasting.  It works for me because my lawn isn't that big so while moving the power cable is a PITA, at least I know it's going to work.  But yea, lawn work is not my thing at all and I have no desire to ever do it again.... (as I wait for my mexican contractor to clear my front and back yard)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #578 on: July 21, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »

- NO PULL STARTERS!

It's funny; I am totally the opposite with respect to gas engines.  That's what I grew up on, and can basically make them do what I want.  The batteries are a foreign experience.

Someone gave me an ICE power washer last summer. To start it and keep it running, the trigger needed to always be pulled. I used it once for about 10 minutes, and now it wont even start. What's your diagnosis?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #579 on: July 21, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »
I see this thread on the front page constantly and always forget that I started it. I'm glad that it has been useful to a lot of people!

I was at the bottom in terms of depression/anxiety over the idea of home ownership when I started this thread, and now I'm 5 years in.

Just for shits and giggles, I went back to see whether it was worth it. So far, living in the house has definitely been "more expensive" - my rent would have still be lower than my mortgage. But it's hard to put a price on how much more I get in terms of lifestyle (in additional to the possibility of building equity). Especially this year, with COVID, being a homeowner has really been clutch. I can't imagine being stuck in that 1BR apartment (or even 2BR) still.

There are definitely stresses, though. Last year my HVAC went. This year I needed a new roof. This stuff had me cursing the name of homeownership and wishing I had stayed a renter. But there are less downs than ups. Overall, I'm glad that we decided to buy. One day when money's not a thing, a nice condo with a balcony somewhere between the city and the country would be preferable. But this will do for now...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: July 21, 2020, 02:10:14 PM »
Especially this year, with COVID, being a homeowner has really been clutch. I can't imagine being stuck in that 1BR apartment (or even 2BR) still.

This x100. Not even just being stuck in a smaller place, but being confined to a shared building/property where everyone else is also stuck in their apartments.  I loved my old apartment, it was 2BR and we had a balcony on the back corner of the property so about the most distant from everyone else, but even then, I feel like I'd be agitated and likely agitating others myself during this time we are in.

I have three rooms (bed, couch in the living room, desk in my office), a basement, and a patio to rotate when I work from home so I never get too stale staying in the same spot which is really helpful for someone like myself who quickly gets antsy when sitting in the same spot for an extended time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: July 21, 2020, 02:14:38 PM »

- NO PULL STARTERS!

Someone gave me an ICE power washer last summer. To start it and keep it running, the trigger needed to always be pulled. I used it once for about 10 minutes, and now it wont even start. What's your diagnosis?

The trigger on the actual washer wand?    That's really odd; first thought is a leak or crack in block, or a short of some kind.   ICE are a triangle:  fuel, air, spark.  If you interrupt one of those, you lose.  But the water delivery is usually out of that loop, so that's an interesting problem.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: July 21, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »
There are definitely stresses, though. Last year my HVAC went. This year I needed a new roof. This stuff had me cursing the name of homeownership and wishing I had stayed a renter. But there are less downs than ups. Overall, I'm glad that we decided to buy. One day when money's not a thing, a nice condo with a balcony somewhere between the city and the country would be preferable. But this will do for now...

I've been in this house for 16 months and have had to...

Replace 2 sump pumps
Replace the septic pump (but that was my own dumbass fault fault)
Replace pool furnace
Replace generator
re-pave a portion of the driveway

All (sans the septic pump) courtesy of the previous owners neglect and/or inheriting aged-out appliances.

I'm hoping there's still a few years left on the furnace and AC unit, and the lawn tractor.  :lucien:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: July 21, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »
We spent $2,900.00 on the bathroom remodel.  Next year it's a new porch.   Plus painting our living room and hallway then a nee carpet. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: July 21, 2020, 06:14:55 PM »
We spent $2,900.00 on the bathroom remodel.  Next year it's a new porch.   Plus painting our living room and hallway then a nee carpet.

From the Knights?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #585 on: July 21, 2020, 06:27:13 PM »
Year after next, it's new shrubbery for the front yard.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: July 21, 2020, 06:29:11 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: July 21, 2020, 06:30:50 PM »

From the Knights?

I can't get that damn Knight to get a job and his own place!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #588 on: July 21, 2020, 06:35:12 PM »

Yay for new shrubs, O!

Why are we cheering for shrubs?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: July 21, 2020, 06:36:03 PM »
And just like that, the spotlight is off me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: July 21, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #591 on: July 21, 2020, 09:32:23 PM »

Dude, you were the one who mentioned nee carpet next year, presumably from the Knights as jingle pointed out.

Obviously you have to follow it up with shrubbery.

But you have to get it from this guy:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: July 21, 2020, 10:19:33 PM »
Yeah, but the spotlight is off of him because of Tim’s complete and utter lack of knowledge in pop culture.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: July 21, 2020, 10:22:40 PM »
Yeah, but the spotlight is off of him because of Tim’s complete and utter lack of knowledge in pop culture.

And apparently automobile technology, based on the chat thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #594 on: July 21, 2020, 10:45:34 PM »

I've been in this house for 16 months and have had to...

Replace 2 sump pumps
Replace the septic pump (but that was my own dumbass fault fault)
Replace pool furnace
Replace generator
re-pave a portion of the driveway

All (sans the septic pump) courtesy of the previous owners neglect and/or inheriting aged-out appliances.

I'm hoping there's still a few years left on the furnace and AC unit, and the lawn tractor.  :lucien:

Did your house not come with a home warranty for the first year, or are rules different in Canada for this sort of thing? We bought a new house in March and the previous owners paid for one for us per the contract our realtor negotiated. It saved our ass when the furnace crapped out and needed replacing literally just a month later. One $75 service call, and the rest was paid for by the warranty. Amazing.

And don’t get me started on previous owner neglect/incompetence. We’re still finding things that need to be addressed.  I’m not the handiest of guys, but I know for sure I could have done a better job than they did with some things. I should have known we’d have a road ahead when they didn’t even have the common damn courtesy to pick up the dog shit in the yard before moving out...