Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 12139 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #385 on: June 06, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
I was told by a repair guy that the front load washers cost a bot load to repair.  Stay with the top load.  I got an energy saver version of the top load.  Only $550.00.

Yes, top load washer repair parts are generally inexpensive because they are mass produced cheaply, but you also have to repair them more often. Top loaders are also painfully inefficient with water and soap usage, cleaning effectiveness, and water extraction (the higher the extract speed the less time in the dryer).

If you'd spent that same $550.00 on a front load LG with direct drive and reduced features (that no one needs) you'd have been money ahead.

And yet, you have replaced your dishwasher 3 times in 16 years.

Precisely my point... quality is not what it used to be.  For clarity, I meant to say I'm *on* my 3rd dishwasher - not that I've replaced it 3 times.

I don't know, dude. You may be right but I think you may be giving away too much of your personal responsibility...either by the decisions you make about the product you buy or they way the products are treated.

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #386 on: June 06, 2018, 09:29:10 AM »
Our first front load washer lasted 12 years.  We've had this new one for 2 years.  Our dryer is 14 years old and it only needed the belt replaced once.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #387 on: June 06, 2018, 10:00:28 AM »
@ Stads and the cost issue.  I'm not disputing your knowledge as it relates to GE, but on the whole, puh-leeze.  First, you're suggesting that wage-inflation is greater than general inflation.  Inflation adjusted earnings are fairly flat since the mid-70s.  Second, how many appliances are actually built in the US? I know for TVs and blu-ray players, it's somewhere in the range of 0%.  Samsung and LG are also pretty big players in the general household appliance space.

This wasn't meant to be a discussion on wages and healthcare costs, so I don't want to derail it in that direction.

I do!  Fuck yeah!  I'm kidding; I don't either, except to say "earnings" and "labor cost" are not the same thing.   The money a company pays to it's employee is a fraction, anywhere from 30 to 70% +/-, of the cost to the company.  And you'd be surprised; the GE plant is in Louisville, KY, and while this might have changed, when I was there, the campus contained the largest privately owned (meaning non-railroad company) railyard in the U.S.   They will source components from outside the US, but a large portion of the assembly is done in the US.   I don't know if they still do, but GE used to put the percentage of US manufacture right on the label.  Hang on, I'll go check the dishwasher......

Precisely my point... quality is not what it used to be.  For clarity, I meant to say I'm *on* my 3rd dishwasher - not that I've replaced it 3 times.

Speaking of "on" your dishwasher, in my dorm at college the laundry room was very popular place during/after dorm parties...  just throwing that out there.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »
Fair point on wages vs fully burdened headcount costs.

And *on* an appliance ... not sure if I'm titillated, or disgusted.
Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?
And TAC can suck it  :biggrin:, this is heavy in all the right places.  :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »
Doesn't matter what the guy thinks.  If she's into it, it's a good thing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #390 on: June 17, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »
Welp after getting my lawn in amazing shape this year I'm done trying to fight the heat. We haven't had rain in 2 weeks and I'm tired of watering the lawn wasting water and paying a fortune to do so.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #391 on: June 17, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
Welp after getting my lawn in amazing shape this year I'm done trying to fight the heat. We haven't had rain in 2 weeks and I'm tired of watering the lawn wasting water and paying a fortune to do so.

Yeah. Its brutal. Were forecast for a chance of thunderstorms every day this week but Ive been watering the  :censored out of our yard given our house is in the market. I fear my next water bill more than anything right now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #392 on: June 17, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »

Yeah. Its brutal. Were forecast for a chance of thunderstorms every day this week but Ive been watering the  :censored out of our yard given our house is in the market. I fear my next water bill more than anything right now.

I just spent almost an hour trouble-shooting my in-ground sprinkler (front yard zone was not coming on from the controller), only to make it worse (now 2 zones aren't coming on :zeltar:).  They work just fine when I open the main valve from the outside, but the controller ain't doin shit.
Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?
And TAC can suck it  :biggrin:, this is heavy in all the right places.  :tup