Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 99578 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #1085 on: August 30, 2022, 09:06:27 PM »
First off, on the snake discussion, while I have nothing against snakes, if that or anything of that size was in my home I'd want to know how it got there and stop it from happening in the future. Even if nothing else comes through that hole, wildlife related, it's still a climate control loss and a potential water issue.

First off... what the heck is picture 24?
Secondly, so happy to hear you found a great place. I remember when we bought our house, I went through some hard times before I met my wife, and was happy to have a roof over my head. I thought owning a home wasn't going to be in my future. It's not the biggest or grandest home, but it's our home, and I love being here. I hope you feel the same about yours. 

Picture 24 is a little area that leads to the sump pit and sump pump within that. Basically if a home has a decent chance that super heavy rains could lead to water in the basement (which is 95% of homes in my area), the sump pit is a hole in the lowest point for that water to gather, and then the sump pump gets that water pushed out to a place where it is no longer going to flow towards the house.

I have to say, on the second point, we are incredibly fortunate. I was very hesitant moving where we live now. I didn't want a townhouse, but going that route allowed us to get something a lot newer and nicer than we otherwise would have with a very limited budget at the time. My wife pushed for where we're at and I'm glad I gave in on it as we did really well with the space for many years. This time around we're not spending a million dollars on something ridiculous, but we had a bigger budget, stayed within it, and we both got a house we really think we can both make work for a really long time. Time will tell, but we're hopeful.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: August 30, 2022, 10:37:27 PM »
Ah. Sump pumps exist around here, and I know a few families that have one. But I've never actually seen one. I always thought they were set up in a crawlspace.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1087 on: August 31, 2022, 06:12:48 AM »
Ah. Sump pumps exist around here, and I know a few families that have one. But I've never actually seen one. I always thought they were set up in a crawlspace.

I mean, it all depends on the layout of the basement, and even though this isn't a literal crawl space, it's in a random unfinished corner of the basement, so same basic premise.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1088 on: August 31, 2022, 06:13:58 AM »
And.......I saw another one last night, this time upstairs.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

It is definitely a ring-necked snake, as I stood over it and took a good look.  Really small, like a longer worm, and with a yellow ring around its neck.  I tried to trap it with a piece of Tupperware thinking that I could show it to the critter guy later today, but when I came back out a few minutes later, it was gone.  Little dickens managed to squeeze itself out. Snakes... :lol :lol :lol

The good news is that these kind are definitely harmless, based on everything I have read, but I still want to see what I can do to keep them from showing their slimy selves.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1089 on: August 31, 2022, 08:06:54 AM »
Snakes are fine.  The ones over here can kill you but they are more scared of you than them and won't attack or try to bite you unless you really try and piss them off.  I've had a few encounters.

Not sure why I'm quoting you, but I have a pond in my back yard and so I have snakes.  I've seen three of them and good size - last one was a four foot water snake, the body was about the diameter of one of those White Claw cans.  Scary, but harmless. 

I think if you have an infestation, it's worth looking at why, but if you see one every couple months or so, probably rest easy; I'm going to guess you do not have a mice problem.   Or an insect problem.  Up here I think there are only like two or three poisonous types of snakes in CT (I know of a type of rattlesnake and a type of copperhead; I think there's a water snake that is poisonous as well); you need to watch out for those but even then, they are not like boa constrictors or cobras where you die in 12 minutes without an antidote.   They only bite when attacked/threatened, and are generally harmless.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: August 31, 2022, 08:12:56 AM »
Snakes would freak me out too.  I already don't like having the house centipedes in my basement.  Luckily my cat deals with any pests that may show up so I don't really have any issues. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: August 31, 2022, 03:19:39 PM »
I used to be shit scared of them, but it wasn't until my first encounter with a brown snake that made me ease up a little.  Seeing this deadly snake more scared of me made me more comfortable.  Also had an encounter with a red belly black snake and same deal, was trying to find an exit as opposed to trying to kill someone.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: August 31, 2022, 03:30:03 PM »
My issue is I have rarely seen snakes where I live.  They do exist, gartner snakes are known to be in NJ and I've seen one only a handful of times in my life.  I feel like I'd adapt if they were more common, but maybe not.  I'm not so scared of being bitten because as you state, they are more scared of you, but they are just a creepy animal.  I never liked working with them when I worked in a pet store either even though I thought the boas were kind of cool and tame. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #1093 on: September 08, 2022, 09:13:33 PM »
Include me in the club of home ownership to an overpriced home for some undersized sq footage on an overcrowded lot in an over supervised neighborhood.  :biggrin:

Closed on Wednesday, got a ton of shit to do now. First order of business is to redo kitchen counter tops. Man cave is probably last on the list or probably not even on it lol.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: September 28, 2022, 10:53:51 PM »
I don't want to post the link from my local news because it autoplays a video which I hate, so just quoting modified text.

...calculating the estimated monthly payment using a 6.25% mortgage rate and 10% down payment on a 30-year mortgage... a potential buyer in these cities must make the annual income listed to purchase a "starter home"...

San Jose ($245,234)
San Francisco ($239,933)
Los Angeles ($195,294)
Honolulu ($191,109)
San Diego ($186,645)
Boston ($183,855)
Seattle ($170,170)

We should re-title this thread "The Benefits of Home Ownership if You Bought Your House More That a Few Years Ago."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1095 on: September 29, 2022, 03:33:28 AM »
I don't want to post the link from my local news because it autoplays a video which I hate, so just quoting modified text.

...calculating the estimated monthly payment using a 6.25% mortgage rate and 10% down payment on a 30-year mortgage... a potential buyer in these cities must make the annual income listed to purchase a "starter home"...

San Jose ($245,234)
San Francisco ($239,933)
Los Angeles ($195,294)
Honolulu ($191,109)
San Diego ($186,645)
Boston ($183,855)
Seattle ($170,170)

We should re-title this thread "The Benefits of Home Ownership if You Bought Your House More That a Few Years Ago."

That's mental and its not any better outside the cities either.

In the PA suburbs, If you want anything more than a condemned shack on the wrong side of the tracks you are looking at $500k on average for what would have been a $300,000 or less house pre covid.

I want to have kids, but am kinda glad I don't have any at the moment since I can't afford prices like that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1096 on: September 29, 2022, 08:51:05 AM »
But isn't this all the "benefits of home-ownership"?  I mean, I get that you have to be able to get on the elevator, but these things are cyclical, and the point is, to get on WHEN YOU CAN.  I've been a straight up homeowner since 1999, with the exception of a few short years around the divorce.  So, yeah, maybe at any one snapshot in time it looks bad, or is hard, but over time, when the opportunities arise, be ready to move.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: September 29, 2022, 10:25:43 AM »
True, but it still raises the bar for entry.  It's just not very easy for someone to enter the market right now. I feel very fortunate to be a 9 year home owner at this point.  One of the best decisions (both personally and financially) I've ever made.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1098 on: September 29, 2022, 02:10:13 PM »
True, but it still raises the bar for entry.  It's just not very easy for someone to enter the market right now. I feel very fortunate to be a 9 year home owner at this point.  One of the best decisions (both personally and financially) I've ever made.

Dude, same. In two weeks I'll have owned my house for eight years. I hate so many aspects of it, but it was still a great call. I'm so freaking thankful I did that. I have several friends who rented apartments or houses for the last several years who are looking to get into a more permanent place, and it seems miserable out there. Between rents, mortgages, and interest rates going up, you're kind of effed. I'm so glad I got the rate and price of house I did back in 2014.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1099 on: September 29, 2022, 02:19:57 PM »
I wasn't feeling that great with the ~5% rate I got last month but it's looking a lot better than ~7% that's for sure. Already getting so much work done, now due to the winds from the hurricane last night, a few shingles flew off. At least there are no leaks that I could see. I would've done them myself, but am hiring a roof guy to look at it tomorrow.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1100 on: September 29, 2022, 02:23:09 PM »
Say for instance, student loans actually get unfrozen in January do you see the housing prices being affected?

I would think, if suddenly people had another $1000 ish monthly payment, that's less money to go toward a house (and mortgage payments) and then the market may adjust?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1101 on: September 29, 2022, 04:10:26 PM »
I see a bunch of threads on Reddit about housing values and mortgage rates and what will happen and if timing is right and such, and the answers always come down to, and I agree with, that a house (if it's your primary residence) is far more important in that capacity than as an investment. So if you find something that is right for you, and you can afford it, then that's all that matters. I know right now that rates are higher than what we agreed to a month or two ago. And I know at some point they will certainly be lower again, but at the end of the day just excited to close in two weeks on a house we're excited about.

To your exact question however, I don't think it has a *huge* effect. As people with that much being unfrozen is likely a small percentage of the overall market. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: November 11, 2022, 03:58:27 PM »
Not really a benefit, but my HVAC unit stopped working earlier this week.  A tech came by today, the motor blower failed (makes sense based on what I was experiencing). Good news, the part is covered under warranty which would have cost $3k.  Bad news, they don't have it in stock so I have a freezing weekend in my house and I still have to pay quite a bit for labor to replace it on Monday.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1103 on: November 11, 2022, 07:41:57 PM »
Shit always goes wrong between Friday even8ng, and Monday morning
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1104 on: November 28, 2022, 08:42:08 AM »
My daughter has been hearing "footsteps" at night.  Yesterday, she said she heard it above her room, in the attic.  We've had a mouse issue in the attic over the garage and I know the prior homeowners had mice in the second story attic.  So I was going to take a few mouse traps in that attic to see if I caught anything.  I go up there yesterday evening and as I'm looking around, I look up to see this....

I have a bat in my attic!  I thought it was a dead mouse at first, until I saw the wings on the side.  I quickly took a picture and closed up the attic before it could wake up.  I think I heard it bang around into some metal vents and ductwork at 4:45am today.  I called some wildlife companies for removal and they all told me that by law, they can't touch the bat until the spring because of the dwindling population of bats.  I can only have it removed if it gets into the living space of the home.

I'm amazed that I have to leave the thing alone and let a pest hibernate in my own attic through the winter and then get it removed in the spring.  Meanwhile, I have to hope that it doesn't find a way into the living space of my home.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: November 28, 2022, 09:01:32 AM »
Wow, that's pretty messed up that they won't remove it.  Like, you don't need to kill it so I don't see why they can't help you.  That sucks.

But you can always go the Black Sheep route, bats are attracted to light!  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: November 28, 2022, 09:03:22 AM »
Surely there's a live trap or something you can bait.  I do it with chipmunks (outside) that are constantly burrowing around my foundation and under my patio.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1107 on: November 28, 2022, 09:30:47 AM »
I may look into that.  One company is going to contact me to put me on the waitlist for springtime bat removal/exclusion.  It's supposed to be hibernating time for them, but I may look into some sort of trap just in case it is active.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1108 on: November 28, 2022, 09:48:03 AM »
Been working on the biggest project at the new house, and one of the most fun and interesting I've ever done.

Ran short on the wire fencing, but that is supposed to arrive today. Assuming it does I'll have this done this week. Will still add stuff to the inside as time goes by, but it will be functional.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1109 on: November 28, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »
^^^^^^^^^

What the heck are you building dude? A Cat walk?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1110 on: November 28, 2022, 10:13:26 AM »
^^^^^^^^^

What the heck are you building dude? A Cat walk?

I mean, we call it a Catio, but basically the same thing. We have 5 cats, two will absolutely go bonkers over it, two more will likely use it regularly, especially on nice days, and the last one... well, you probably can't win them all, but hopefully she checks it out.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: November 28, 2022, 10:18:30 AM »
Do you have a bomb shelter?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1112 on: November 28, 2022, 10:43:37 AM »
I can't see the pics!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1113 on: November 28, 2022, 11:12:14 AM »
Cool idea.....pretty neat thing for the cats to have access to.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1114 on: November 28, 2022, 11:33:57 AM »
Do you have a bomb shelter?

I finally have a basement, one step at a time!

Cool idea.....pretty neat thing for the cats to have access to.

Yeah, really looking forward to seeing the two boys enjoy it!

I can't see the pics!

Hmm, weird, I'll make an album for you: https://photos.app.goo.gl/J3XRLcFAPEBWHFQf8

And that actually includes all pictures thus far, not just the few I posted.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: November 28, 2022, 06:33:45 PM »
I'd use the Castle Doctrine to justify the removal of that bat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1116 on: November 28, 2022, 06:36:36 PM »
That....is very interesting Nick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1117 on: November 28, 2022, 10:27:35 PM »

That you're allowed to eliminate anything you want as long as it's a straight line away and you have line of sight?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1118 on: November 29, 2022, 05:59:50 AM »
Great job on the catio, Nick!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1119 on: November 29, 2022, 08:01:39 AM »

I've thought about it.  I really considered bundling up and using a BBQ tongs to grab it while it sleeps and stuff it into a bag or box.  But I don't want to risk getting bitten and having to go through rabies shots.  I have a wildlife company coming today to quote and get me on the waitlist for the spring removal and exclusion (sealing up the attic better to prevent more from coming in) and any clean-up.

I don't think there is a way for it to access the living space.  It should be hibernating very soon.