Author Topic: Which demonination of Christianity are you and why?  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Which demonination of Christianity are you and why?
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2015, 03:59:29 PM »
So God is a bad CEO?

Does that mean he can't be president?   ;)

He'd never win.  He's a right wing religious nut.

Oh, those guys.  Yeah, we don't want them.  We know how they are all exactly the same. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »
I don't know if I believe in the difference of approach, but I do - strongly - believe in the fallacy of man, and for me, this is enough to make arguments like Calvins' ("Why doesn't God have Beyoncé tell us what's what?")

That's not an argument.  It is a question.  And I said Kanye, not Beyonce.  Stop rushing the stage.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »
While I get where you are coming from, what's the alternative? I mean, you say that any line of thought is open to questioning, and I agree with that, but given your limitations, how can any form of questioning arrive at any satisfactory conclusion? Man's fallibility is going to come in at one point or another.

Well, like anything else, we can still make suppositions, and frame our arguments, but there is a tendency to use "logic" like a sledgehammer, and the reality here is that it is anything but.    So I guess I would offer that we go "business as usual", but with an appropriate caveat.  Hitchens in particular has a peculiar way of framing his arguments in a way that implies that anyone that can't see the logic is a fool or a dolt, and there is no cause for that, since both sides of the argument are by necessity making assumptions as to the efficacy of the human perspective, and while "human logic" says that those assumptions are the same, here, in this case, it is anything but guaranteed that that is the case. 
That would lead to sweeping skepticism of everything. Man's reasoning is present not only in religious matters but every intellectual endeavor we've ever embarked on: science, medicine, history, even everyday reasoning. Though humans are flawed and don't possess inerrant logical powers, we had better start somewhere if there's any hope of getting to the truth. In fact, doesn't your own skeptical argument involve your own supposedly fallacious human reasoning?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2015, 07:36:37 AM »
I get what Stadler's saying, and I think it has a lot of value.

I think we can get to pieces of The Truth, but I don't think we will ever get to point of knowing The Whole Truth, or certainly not Nothing But The Truth.

I don't think there is anything wrong with approaching the Holy, the Sacred, the Numinous, in humility and coming away from the encounter with a lot of questions left with the answer, "I still don't know."

That's kind of the takeaway I get from God's response in the book of Job (one of my absolute favorite passages of the Bible).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2015, 11:33:21 AM »
I don't know if I believe in the difference of approach, but I do - strongly - believe in the fallacy of man, and for me, this is enough to make arguments like Calvins' ("Why doesn't God have Beyoncé tell us what's what?")

That's not an argument.  It is a question.  And I said Kanye, not Beyonce.  Stop rushing the stage.

YOURS was a question, but that is a common argument amongst those that have over-riding (or even absolute) doubts. "If God is this, why doesn't he do that"?   I took license with Queen B, because I wouldn't listen to Kanye order a ham sandwich, let alone tell me about the nature of God.  Now, Beyoncé?  I'd follow her into open flame if she asked me.  ;) 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »
In answer to the OP:

I am a fundamental, Bible believing Baptist; I choose this denomination by conviction rather than convenience.  I believe that it is the closest denomination to the direct doctrine of Jesus Christ. 

However, I DO NOT believe that fundamental, Bible believing, Baptists are the only ones going to Heaven.  The only Biblical requirement for Salvation is belief in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the Cross of Calvary (all Scripture given is KJV: Romans 10:9, John 3:16, John 10:9-11, Acts 4:12, Acts 8:37, 1st Timothy 2:3-6); belief in Jesus Christ and his sacrifice alone, nothing added by man (Ephesians 2:8-9).
  • By faith believing that Jesus Christ is GOD (Isaiah 9:6; Matthew 1:23; John 8:58; John 10:30; John 17:11, 22, 24; Revelation 1:8)
    He was born of a virgin and not of the line of Adam (Isaiah 7:14)
    He gave his life as a propitiation for the sins of the world (John 10:18; Romans 3:23-26; Romans 5:8, 10, 12-21; 1st John 4:9-10)
    He was buried
    He Resurrected by His own power (John 1:4, John 10:18, Luke 24:1-7; Praise God!)
    Ascended to the right hand of God the Father (Mark 16:19, Luke 24:51, John 20:17)
    He will come again Praise God (Acts 1:9-11, 1st Corinthians 15:51-58, 1st Thessalonians 4:13-18)!

I believe that denominations are the work of men and that simply being a part of a specific denomination will not save you, nor will baptism (it is one of only two ordinances left by Jesus Christ; the other being communion), communion, conformation, catechism, nor any other work of man (Jonah 2:9, Psalm 3:8)… only simple, child-like Faith in Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross at Calvary.

I also believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible, God breathed, word to mankind (2nd Timothy 3:16-17).  It is the final authority in my life.

www.farrellministries.org/12minutes is one of the most concise presentations of the Gospel that I have ever heard.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2015, 07:34:42 AM »
While I get where you are coming from, what's the alternative? I mean, you say that any line of thought is open to questioning, and I agree with that, but given your limitations, how can any form of questioning arrive at any satisfactory conclusion? Man's fallibility is going to come in at one point or another.

Well, like anything else, we can still make suppositions, and frame our arguments, but there is a tendency to use "logic" like a sledgehammer, and the reality here is that it is anything but.    So I guess I would offer that we go "business as usual", but with an appropriate caveat.  Hitchens in particular has a peculiar way of framing his arguments in a way that implies that anyone that can't see the logic is a fool or a dolt, and there is no cause for that, since both sides of the argument are by necessity making assumptions as to the efficacy of the human perspective, and while "human logic" says that those assumptions are the same, here, in this case, it is anything but guaranteed that that is the case. 
That would lead to sweeping skepticism of everything. Man's reasoning is present not only in religious matters but every intellectual endeavor we've ever embarked on: science, medicine, history, even everyday reasoning. Though humans are flawed and don't possess inerrant logical powers, we had better start somewhere if there's any hope of getting to the truth. In fact, doesn't your own skeptical argument involve your own supposedly fallacious human reasoning?

Of course it does.  My defense of course is that I actually realize it.  :)

But I think a healthy skepticism is good, and fruitful.  And I agree with you, we have to start somewhere.   I get it, that in this day and age where "flip-flopper" is a derogatory term it can be hard to reevaluate things and maintain credibility, but I think it is appropriate and necessary to reevaluate regularly.  And as you may know, I am a strong adherent to the "idea", and I believe that over time the strongest and most accurate ideas will prevail, sometimes even despite human endeavors.  (You should know that I am now not limiting this to "religion" or "spirituality".)

And if that is too much, you can separate out things; I think what I am most referring to is the notion of looking at things and assuming that a) I am a man, and because I think/do/say/feel it, all men do, and b) that all men do, then God must as well.   

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2015, 11:01:58 PM »
I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Because we believe in an additional book of scripture called the Book of Mormon, we are sometimes referred to as "Mormons". The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ.

The journey of my gaining testimony, conviction, and conversion has been life-long and continues still, but I think that it all began clicked for me when I was in high school. My parents had raised me in the church, and I could never thank them enough for it, but as I got older, I had to come to terms with these doctrines I had been taught while I was growing up, and during my teenage years, I came to know for myself that they were true. That continued through my first year of university. After that first year of University, I was called to teach the gospel in the Australia Sydney North Mission for two years. Those two years have been an essential part of my quest for understanding who I truly am and who God is. I could never say enough about what those two years did for me. I consider them a gift from God. During my mission, my relationship with and love for Jesus Christ has grown so much. I came to realize that Jesus Christ knew me personally and loved me individually. He had suffered, died, and resurrected for me.

As far as some of the hot-button topics of "Mormons" go, I could write volumes, but suffice it to say this: I know through the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored in its entirety. I know that a prophet of God leads the Church under the direction of Jesus Christ today.

I don't say any of this to put myself on a pedestal or put anyone down. These things are just such an integral and important part of who I am and the happiness that my family and I feel. I would be lying (or at least half-truthing) if I said anything else.

Finally, I know that Jesus Christ lives. He lives for us and loves us more than we can understand. His work continues with each of us, here and now. His grace is real, and it changes us into new people. I love Jesus Christ, and I will serve Him forever.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:32:24 AM by Cedar redaC »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2015, 07:14:45 AM »
Welcome back Cedar! Congratulations on surviving the Australian mission without having the Aussies convert you. I hear that's the most challenging one to make it through...well, short of Tahiti that is. :biggrin:

And to everyone else in the forum, don't worry about Cedar. He's fine...really. The regular Cedar will return in just about six months.

All LDS missionaries talk like that when they first return home. He's been "witnessing" (although the don't call it that) nearly constantly for the best part of two years...then he gets home and finds out that no one around him wants to hear it. They're already converted you see, so he needs an outlet for his training. We're it.  :)

I've got to admit, the sincerity of the rhetoric is quite alluring. Although, maybe it's just that I've been hearing it all my life. Mormons are my family, so to speak.

Still, I don't buy it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2015, 12:56:42 AM »

EDIT:  And to your second point.   Our time on earth is NOT to prove we can be good outside of God's oversight.   Quite the opposite.   All the bad stuff that happens because WE (as in collectively, all of mankind) need to learn that *we can't do it without* God's oversight.   We were not created with the capacity to be able to govern ourselves independent of God.   Yet, we stubbornly insist on doing so.   This is our "Alright...let me know how that works out for you." phase.
[/quote]

This makes sense,  the test of time has showed that mankind cannot successfully govern themselves independent of God. Jeremiah 10:23 comes to mind.  My study of the scriptures has led me to believe that soon God Will intervene and set matters straight amongst the nations. That will pave the way to TRUE peace and security.  :-)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP