Author Topic: The Americans (on FX)  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Americans (on FX)
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2018, 07:48:01 AM »
Wow.  So okay, they wrapped things up, made some good points, and everyone was true to their characters.  There's no question that this is one way that things could have ended, and it all made perfect sense.

That said, I guess I was expecting more fireworks.  I, and many others, had assumed that either Philip or Elizabeth, and possibly both, would not make it out alive.  Some kind of shootout when they're caught at "the garage", or a chase to the Canadian border via a tip or lucky glance at a surveilance camera, or something.  Yeah, there was some tension at the border, on the train, but they got through.  Some tension at the Russian border, but again they got through no problem.  Highest tension was when Stan caught them in the parking garage by Paige's apartment.  He'd figured it out, and as much as he hated being right, he was right, and it was his job to bust them and bring them in.  And yet, in the conversation that followed, between Stan and Philip, with a little help from Elizabeth and even Paige, Stan did the right thing, even if it was the wrong thing.  I loved that shot of him later, still standing there in the parking garage, blown away, leaning against the wall, wondering what in the fuck he just did.

Biggest "shock" was Paige taking that moment to get off the train, with nothing Philip or Elizabeth could do about it.  That too was true to her (naive, short-sighted) character.  She didn't want to go to Russia; she wanted to stay here, so she did.  I have no idea what will happen to her afterwards, though, and neither does she, so she might as well sit and get hammered on vodka.

Henry gets the news from Stan and, always the smarter of the two kids, figures out the odd phone call the other night, and upon reflection, a few other odd phone calls.  But as P & E said, he's smart, he'll survive.  They raised him right.  He'll hate them, yeah.  He'll feel like his entire life thus far has been a lie, but no, it hasn't.  Just the part about his parents being regular Americans and not Russian illegals.  He's still American, he still lives in the Land of Opportunity, he'll be fine.  Probably won't be going back for his senior year at St. Edwards Academy, though, which is a bummer.  Unless Stan really steps up.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »
Really enjoyed the series finale. Part of me was expecting more fireworks like you said, but I think the way they went was probably more true to the spirit of a show that was primarily about a marriage and family, using the spy world to escalate the stakes, rather than primarily a spy story. And in a way, Philip and Elizabeth ending up back in Russia without either of their children is a worse punishment than dying or jail. The whole garage scene was simply phenomenal, it was ten minutes that felt more like two. The phone call scene gave me all the feels, and then both music choices towards the end were just about perfect.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »
Philip and Stan's conversation in the parking garage was, in some ways, the culmination of the entire series.  It would always come down to Stan figuring it out, or not, and what happens next.  Incredible scene.  Great writing, and fantastic acting by Matthew Rhys and Noah Emmerich.  Best friends, sworn enemies, each trying to do what's best for their country, each just doing their job.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »
The way the series ended, I could see a made for TV movie. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2018, 07:53:57 AM »
Just got back from vacation and caught up on the final 3 episodes.  WOW!  That garage seen was EPIC!  A fantastic ending to a great TV show.  Not shocked one bit at Paige doing what she did.  Poor Stan, his life was basically ruined.  Not only the revelation about his best friend, but the doubt about his wife...LOL.  Great wrap up, but I'm already sad it's over.