Author Topic: I am officially old  (Read 5733 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: I am officially old
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »
I still remember when pagers were the rave. :lol :lol

They still exist. Friend of mine works atAmazon, and sometimes he's "on call" (if a server goes down) with a pager.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
Brilliant read, and I relate to the OP of course.

Same. It was around the 80's.

BTW,  your officially old because you started a thread on a Saturday night.  :lol

:clap:

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »
This is my phone at home:

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 11:51:09 AM »
Everybody had rotary phones when I was growing up. Touch tones existed, but nobody ever upgraded their phones back then so you'd keep the old ones until they made you replace them.

I know one of the early phone hackers was able to whistle all of the touch tones, and while that's not particularly useful in and of itself, he could whistle all of the back-end service tones. Before computers hacking was trying to see if you could call China on Ma Bell's dime. What's fascinating to me is how much everything around the phone has changed. The only phone numbers I actually know anymore are from the handful of people that had their numbers before I got a cell. I don't even know my mom's number. How many youngsters today know that long distance was a thing back then? Or used a phone that was connected to something? Or even a pay phone?

Somewhat related, I was at La Madeleine a while back buying grub and their credit card machine crapped out. The manager came out of his office tried once or twice, then said hang on. Came back out a couple of minutes later with one of these:

Hadn't seen one in years and was amazed anybody even knew how it worked.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 11:55:07 AM »
I always call those things "kerchunkers" because you slide the thing back and forth and it goes "kerchunk".

Offline Mladen

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 12:02:20 PM »
These were still around in the early 90's, which is back when I was born. Should I feel old as well?  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »
Yup, a few months ago somebody dragged out one of those too at a store. Was very excited, since I had only seen those in American movies.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
 :lol

Yeah, the liquor store I worked at still had one of those too, but I only got to use it once or twice. Pain in the ass.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
Yep.  I remember going to stores and sometimes they'd try to kerchunk a couple of times, but it wasn't aligned properly or something, and they'd finally just write all the numbers on the charge slip by hand.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2015, 04:14:42 PM »
Or they took a pencil and colored over the numbers tracing them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2015, 04:53:38 PM »
Or they took a pencil and colored over the numbers tracing them.

Like Pizza Hut.

Because it's completely safe to give an underpaid 20 year old pizza driver a rubbing of my card...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »
When I worked at a Musicland (record store), we had the kerchuckers still but they'd just started a primitive version of the modern day swiping where you entered the info on the register.

And then got out the kerchucker because nine times out of ten it didn't work.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »
You know, it boggles my mind that to this day there a physical houses where all the paper checks arrive and then they all exchange owners, from one bank to another.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2015, 09:10:20 PM »
Shit I'm nearly 22 and I've used them. Both my Grandmas had them in their houses!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2015, 03:27:58 AM »
I recently started re-watching Breaking Bad and the abundance of clam cellphones make it seem strangely outdated already.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2015, 05:57:13 AM »
I remember calling girls to ask them out on those types of phones when I was a teen. I started out dialing fast but as I got close to finishing the number I would get nervous and scared and the last two numbers were done very slowly! The last one I would hold till I got the courage to let go as my heart was beating out of my chest!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »
I remember calling girls to ask them out on those types of phones when I was a teen. I started out dialing fast but as I got close to finishing the number I would get nervous and scared and the last two numbers were done very slowly! The last one I would hold till I got the courage to let go as my heart was beating out of my chest!

Oh shit, that's some fucking truth there  :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »

I know, right?  I'm sure there are literally TONS of ladies out there who dialed the first 6 of my phone number and then stuck on that last digit only to not go through with it.  Right?

RIGHT?

:foreveralone:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2015, 10:43:52 AM »
Not me suckers.  I just called the wrong phone number of this girl I went on a date with who I really liked for 3 days.  Once I realized I was calling the wrong # she was done with me.  What a knucklehead. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »
What's truly amazing, or sad maybe, is how in all those advances, voice quality for the most part still the same as in those days.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 11:54:38 AM »
Well, a land line is always better quality for the most part.

I always think back to the times my car broke down and I had to knock on someone's door at 12 midnight to ask them to use their phone to call for a tow.  Now, grab you cell!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 11:55:10 AM »
I would say voice quality has declined, actually.  (tempted to make joke post about overcompression and brickwalling)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »

Or even better... when her dad would pick up and you'd quietly hang up the receiver as though hanging it up normally would give away your identity.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
I would agree, bosk. The overall bandwidth of the audio hasn't increased at all, but latency has increased, and signal dropouts are common.
It's weird how with our "smartphones", the phone part is probably the worst of it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
Yep.  I remember going to stores and sometimes they'd try to kerchunk a couple of times, but it wasn't aligned properly or something, and they'd finally just write all the numbers on the charge slip by hand.

THIS!!   I just watched them fail to operate one of the simplest mechanical gadgets in the store (but I'll bet that f****r can do an 8-move combo in Batman Arkham City like nobody's business).  :) 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »
What is amazing to me is the number of people who posted that their grandparents had this phone. I had this phone for years growing up. If you had to call someone with a bunch of zeros or nines in their number you were pissed!  :lol
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2015, 12:38:39 AM »
Sure I remember those as a kid in the early 80s. A wall mounted version to be exact. I even remember the number we had back then, 780864. Was replaced by a wall mounted button phone later. No landline phones of any kind since moving out of that place though. They won't be missed.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 01:08:26 AM »
Funny, I remember my childhood number as well, 8376702, even though I can't remember any current numbers other than my own, my parents, and that of my meat, fish, and produce guys.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »
When touch-tone phone service first started catching on, it was cool to have a phone with buttons instead of a dial.  My buddy Dave's dad was a tech-head, so they were the first in the neighborhood with cable TV, and the first with touch-tone phones.  Beep-beep-beep!

In our house, we eventually got new phones, but my parents didn't want to pay the extra charge per month to support touch tone (it was probably like $2 more per month), so we had push-button phones, and there was a little slider switch set to "Pulse" rather than "Tone".  When you pushed the buttons, you heard clik-clik-clik-clik as it "dialed" each number.  And if you pushed the buttons too fast, it got confused, because its buffer couldn't keep up and it could only dial so fast.  So lame.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
In our house, we eventually got new phones, but my parents didn't want to pay the extra charge per month to support touch tone (it was probably like $2 more per month), so we had push-button phones, and there was a little slider switch set to "Pulse" rather than "Tone".  When you pushed the buttons, you heard clik-clik-clik-clik as it "dialed" each number.  And if you pushed the buttons too fast, it got confused, because its buffer couldn't keep up and it could only dial so fast.  So lame.
I remember that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 08:45:31 AM »
So THATS why my phone icon looks like this

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
Yep.  Phone icons don't look anything like phones anymore.  Also "save" icons looks like 3.5" floppy disks, which aren't even used anymore and many people have never even seen.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »
I have video games on 3.5" floppy disks. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2015, 12:31:55 PM »
I have a few PC games on 5.25" floppies.  The kind that actually flop.