Author Topic: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2 - v. The top ten  (Read 46794 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums...AGAIN?! (v2 list) - v. Stevie being lonely
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2015, 10:59:56 AM »
I'm at the tail end of "HCE is new to me" at this point and it's probably my favorite Steven Wilson solo record thus far, but I wasn't a huge fan of the previous two. Like, Grace For Drowning is a mixed bag, Raven's an improvement but still had a lot that felt like it could be cut. I at least feel HCE is pretty succinct and not too bloated this time (or at the very least, I like the bloated parts of it this time  :lol ) but I don't yet think I'd put it on the level of the better Porcupine Tree stuff. Good though, yes.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:38 PM »
I still feel it'd too early to rank it on my top 50, but I can totally see it claiming a spot in the 40-tier in a few months :hefdaddy . AOTY so far. And IMO, it's not likely to change.

Offline 425

« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2015, 12:58:28 PM »
Raven's an improvement but still had a lot that felt like it could be cut. I at least feel HCE is pretty succinct and not too bloated this time (or at the very least, I like the bloated parts of it this time  :lol )

See, I feel the opposite about those two albums at this point. Yeah, Raven has a lot of long songs, but it makes sense musically why they're so long. The instrumental sections on HCE often feel kind of meandering and pointless to me at this stage in my listening. Ancestral is a particularly serious offender; I hardly can remember what happens in the song after the last "A bicycle..." section, but there's like 7 or 8 minutes of song there.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
Ancestral is a particularly serious offender; I hardly can remember what happens in the song after the last "A bicycle..." section, but there's like 7 or 8 minutes of song there.

And that's a pity, because first half of the song is just outstanding.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2015, 01:05:51 PM »
Exactly. I try to trust the intent of songwriters, particularly songwriters as accomplished as Steven Wilson, and I definitely allow for the possibility that I will "get" what he's doing there on future listens, but right now I really have no idea why he made that song 13 minutes long instead of 6 or 7.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »
Hmm, I actually think it's the other way round. Everything up to the guitar solo is rather dull, whilst everything that follows (the 7 or 8 minutes you speak of, beginning with the guitar solo) is outstanding and one of the best parts of the album. That barrage of riffs at the end I find to be very cool.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Yeah, I feel that Ancestral could have been cut in two, much like Home Invasion/Regret #9. It wouldn't be too bad.

#23: Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
2002 - Progressive Rock/Metal - New York, USA

Let’s be honest, when you look at DT’s latest albums, you also look at some pretty similar records in terms of tone and songwriting. All these albums are great, but they kinda sound samey to me, and I think to a lot of other people. Now, of course there are the exceptions: we already talked about Octavarium, but this time there’s an even bigger departure. Infact here we have one of the most unique DT albums around, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. This is infact the only double studio album that the band gave us, and the two records in it really differ from each other.

CD 1 is formed by 5 long songs (the shortest is Disappear, and that’s 7 minutes long.). These 5 pieces have a dark and heavier atmosphere compared to DT’s latest work at the time (talkin’ about SFAM and FII), and feature a lot of sound experimentations, like reversed stuff, reverb on drums, vocal distortion and stuff like that. Since this album DT has never really done anything like it, so this is another reason why this album sounds unique to me. Also, the heavy parts are really really heavy, whilst the soft parts are exceptionally low and quiet, so there’s that, the record’s dynamics are really well done.

CD 2 instead, is supposed to  be a 42 minute long suite, called infact “Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence”. In this second album (I’ve tried so hard, but I just can’t consider it one single song), we have 6 characters, each representing a type of “turbulence” meaning disease. It’s truly like a journey through an hospital, and I like this kind of connected theme. The song sound much more like classic DT this time, we have throwbacks to SFAM and I&W, with a touch of FII and also of the future. Let’s take a look in the specific:

The Glass Prison starts the album with full blown heaviness. At this time, this was the shit, this was DT’s heaviest piece and no one would dare to affirm the contrary. It’s the first installment of the 12 Step Suite, which as we all know, is a conceptual 50 minute piece, about the alcohol/drug recovery steps. So, as I’ve said this track features a lot of heavy riffs, and ones that actually remind me of Slipknot, with that scratching vinyls in the second half. Is that good or bad? :lol Blind Faith is much lighter than the previous song, and more melodic. This song feels huge though, it has quite a topic, and quite an arrangement. To me is one of the best structured DT songs, one when the time signatures don’t feel forced. Misunderstood is the most experimental tune out of the record, featuring a soft pop verse that explodes in the chorus. This would sound pretty normal, if it weren’t for the psychedelic vibe throughout the piece, an element that we find especially in the instrumental section and in the outro, which is when the music decides to fuck itself with a knife. You’ll get it if you listen to it. I really love this track, I listen to it a lot. The Great Debate is my favorite. It’s a mirror-structured song, that starts with a build up and ends with a build down with samples about stem cell  research. In between the intro and the outro is proggy epicness though. It may be one of the proggiest songs in the band’s latest history. Disappear is a ballad and it features really ethereal atmospheres, and I feel it’s like the son of Space Dye Vest. It’s very moving, dark and personal-sounding. I wish it was more known though, nobody really cares about it all that much. So, that was disc 1. Let’s take a look at the “suite”, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. Starting off with Overture, we find out that it’s all gonna be pretty orchestral. IF ONLY THE ORCHESTRA WAS REAL. Infact, those are keyboards, and much like The Odyssey, everything would feel much more bigger and credible if the orchestra was real, and not a keyboard patch. So, Overture forshadows a lot of stuff from this disc, and it’s actually a bit draggy for me.  I mean, it’s the longest part of the suite, it doesn’t make much sense to me. About To Crash is very sweet. It talks about a bipolar girl, who one moment is happy and joyous and the other extremely sad and depressed. The music is much less heavy than the first disc, and melodic. The piano work here is stunning. War Inside My Head is a short piece, a 6/8 hard rock fest, about a man with PTSD, a disease that we all know about pretty much, since it’s been a recurring topic in the band’s discography. The Test That Stumped ‘Em All is like a preview of A Dramatic Turn Of Events, with all those crazy licks and time signatures. It’s pretty challenging to play, and fun especially. With a touch of irony, James sings about a schizophrenic man. Very memorable song. Goodnight Kiss is a very sad track, one that I avoid listening to because it just moves me so much. Like guys, if you wanna make me cry, make innocent kids die. The outro of this piece features various of those moments, and it’s so disturbing and morbid. I’m getting shivers just thinking about it. Everything gets suddenly more uplifting with Solitary Shell, a nice pop tune about a man with autistic problems. This is one of my favorites from disc 2, and it’s nice to see DT embrace pop rock once in a while. Dem acoustic guitars. About To Crash (Reprise) is a return to the first piece, this time it’s faster and more uplifting, featuring an orchestral instrumental section that leads into Losing Time/Grand Finale. This one is very slow and solemn, but with epic heavy atmospheres, and it does a good job at closing the whole thing, with that last chord that will forever remain in history.

Six Degrees is a gem. Very different, and that's its strength. I wish the band would do this more, maybe with the new album. I really hope so.

--Evermind's got a point here, he said it's useless to have favorites if all the songs are my favorites. So, yep.--
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »
Hmm, I actually think it's the other way round. Everything up to the guitar solo is rather dull, whilst everything that follows (the 7 or 8 minutes you speak of, beginning with the guitar solo) is outstanding and one of the best parts of the album. That barrage of riffs at the end I find to be very cool.

That's probably why I was eliminated in your roulette. Rather dull? This part (including the guitar solo) is incredible. ;)

edit: SDOIT is my, what, eighth favourite DT album, so there.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

That's probably why I was eliminated in your roulette. Rather dull? This part (including the guitar solo) is incredible. ;)

My roulette has nothing to do with Steven Wilson!

Also, SDOIT is my third or fourth. I don't know.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline 425

« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »

12th for me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
That's not possible :lol
Squ

Offline 425

I like it okay, but I'd rather spin even SC or WDADU.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Even SC? It's my fourth DT album, man.

Offline 425

Sorry! It's my #11. I chose those two to list because they're my #11 and #10 respectively AND they're probably the most popular choices for a #12.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
You guys are nuts - this is the best thing DT has done EVER. I really wished they tried something as experimental and unique as Six Degrees.

I barely listen to it - I know every riff, vocal line and lyrics, every sound, what all the samples say. I just can't find anything new on it (still love it to death tho). But the day I get a new hi-fi system or headphones, this will premier them :hat .

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I like the first disc of SDOIT a good bit, three of the songs make my top 20 and the other two are not bad

but then there's the title track, sigh

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I like the first disc of SDOIT a good bit, three of the songs make my top 20 and the other two are not bad

but then there's the title track, sigh

That's  exactly how I feel about SDOIT as well. Three songs made my top 20 and one made the top 10. The other two are solid placements in the top 50. The title track though...
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I like every part of the title track well enough (maybe except for Overture) but I don't find that they gel well at all.

But the first disc is beyond brilliant and, as a whole, this is still my favourite DT album.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline 425

I'm actually the exact opposite of y'all. If SDOIT was just the title track, it would not be at the bottom of my list. The first disc is just... largely good not great. SDOIT the song is in my top 15. Blind Faith and maybe Disappear would make my top 50, and Blind Faith might make my top 30. The Glass Prison would be borderline top 50. The Great Debate would be in my bottom 10. Misunderstood is maybe the best song on the disc for 7 minutes, but its last few minutes are the worst part of DT's studio discography, so it wouldn't make my top 50.

And the album as a whole is just too long for me. If an album is going to be 97 minutes long, it better not have several songs about which I can only say "eh." A one-disc SDOIT with The Glass Prison and Misunderstood slightly truncated (with Misunderstood having a different ending) and The Great Debate gone entirely would probably slip past SC and maybe even WDADU in my rankings, but as is, it's just too long and not good enough for me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Although it may have some awkward twists, I find the title track to be incredibly cohesive. And considering the song is about mental illnesses, there might be a relation between those "jumps" from one section to another. But I guess you need to listen to the second disc without cutting to get how the piece flows.

Offline mikemangioy

Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums...AGAIN?! (v2 list) - v. Yin and yang
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »
Sorry guys for a lonely post, but today was literally insane.

Anyways, at the beginning of the list I've said that there was an Opeth album that for me did a better job as a marriage of destruction and melody.

HERE
IT
IS

#22: Opeth - Watershed
2008 - Progressive Death Metal/Prog Rock - Sweden

So, everybody here knows Opeth. Everybody knows that this band had quite an evolution since their beginning. The first few album are just pure death metal. Then with each record they started to incorporate more and more progginess to their music, which culminated in Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries. Then they decide to kind of abandon their death metal soundscapes, and focus only on prog. Many people get upset about this, in my opinion the band sounds great as it is today. Pale Communion is a great record. But before this dramatic shift in sound, Mike and the boys, decided to bid farewell to the death grunts and heaviness in an album that unites perfectly that and the proggy progginess that was about to come. And that's what Watershed is all about.

Equal parts blast beats and acoustic guitar, growls and clean vocals, dissonant and melodic, just pure yin and yang, perfectly balanced together. This album also sees the entrance of two new members in the group, and it's actually the line up in which I've got to know them, so this album feels a bit more familiar than some of the previous ones. Also given by the fact that there are two of the songs that got me into Opeth, I've said more than enough how important this album feels to me.

The album starts in an unexpected way with an unplugged acoustic piece, Coil. This song also features some female vocals, provided by Nathalie Lorichs (who, on a sidenote, I believe was dating someone from the band). It's really a beautiful track, that strangely opens the album very well. Although I can imagine some fans being shocked after pressing play :rollin And those who were, were also instantly relieved by Heir Apparent, one of the heaviest tracks I've ever heard from Opeth. This track has only growls, and sounds pretty creepy too. Dat piano at the beginning  :o - I also love the outro, it sounds very solemn and anthemic. A great tune, followed by another great tune: The Lotus Eater. This is the track that got me into Opeth, it's also one of their strangest song. It's got blast beats with clean vocals, a clean arpeggiated part in the middle, followed by a funkadelic keyboard breakdown, and a death metal finale. The first time I listened to it, I was completely in awe. Mikael's voice is stunning, it can be perfect if used in the right way. Also, this song's live performance at the Royal Albert Hall is hilarious. Check it out. Burden is a ballad, featuring soaring vocal melodies, and a dramatic feel to it. I also love the outro: the guitar arpeggio that sounds nice, but then the guitar gets detuned as it gets played, and everything sounds so eerie and crooked. A cool technique. Porcelain Heart is like a preview of the things to come in Heritage and Pale Communion, only slightly heavier. I love the guitar riff in this one, and the second part is pretty epic sounding, gives me shivers each time. After this becomes my favorite track, the longest, and the one that better resembles the perfect balance I've talked about: Hessian Peel. It starts out with a folk kind of vibe, it doesn't even grow in intensity, you know. After a nice 4/5 minutes of acoustic stuff and great vocal work, a nice piano solo and then out of nowhere:

*ding*
THE LIGHT COMES ON
THE SIGNAL FOR US TO END OUR LIIIIIIIIVES

Holy shit, I swear this is the most brutal thing that I've ever heard from these guys. And ironically, it's the last growl section in their career, historically. AND IT COMES OUT OF NOWHERE WITHOUT WARNING. Seriously, Hessian Peel is beautiful on both sides, truly an underrated track. Hex Omega finishes the album greatly, like Porcelain Heart, it's a great preview of the following records, a bit heavier. I just wish that the closer was Hessian Peel, it would've been perfect.

You see, describing Watershed and Opeth in general is hard. Very hard. If you didn't check Opeth out (why), I think that you should start with this one. Not Blackwater Park, that's a bit too much for a first listen. But this? YES EVERYDAY

Offline 425

Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums...AGAIN?! (v2 list) - v. Yin and Yang
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2015, 02:51:29 PM »
Nice! :tup This is probably my favorite Opeth album as well. Or maybe Heritage.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2015, 01:01:59 PM »
Guys, I'm extremely sorry for the lack of updates this week, but it was practically impossible for me to write stuff and I didn't want to get behind, so I had to wait. I hope everything will get back to normal, especially since we're at half the list, and it was having such a good pace.

#21: Devin Townsend - Z2
2014 - Progressive Metal, with a touch of pop, thrash and other stuff - Canada

Do I cheat if I put both the records in here? Well, whatever, it’s one release after all, and it’s my AOTY 2014. Also, artist of the year 2014, since I’ve got to known him and his work last year. Devin Friggin’ Townsend. This Canadian fellow right here knows how to write music that is perfectly balanced in all its aspects: beauty, chaos, quirkiness, serious stuff, death metal, gospel, pop, country, ambient and one bald dude to rule them all. In 23 years Devin wrote from the most serious stuff (Ocean Machine) to the most over-the-top and fun (Ziltoid). And last year he decides to put nearly everything he did on one..well, two, records.

Z2 is infact, another double album added to my list, but this time (unlike SDOIT), the two records really really really differ from each other. We have disc one: Sky Blue. It consists of Devin’s pop side, with some slight melancholia and seriousness from back in the days, and a gospel attitude, directly taken from Epicloud. Disc two is Dark Matters, the sequel of Ziltoid The Omniscient, and as opposed to Sky Blue, this is Dev’s over the top, heavier, hilarious side. It’s a musical, with narrators, voice actors and guest vocals. Everything on top of overwhelming heavy music, with lots of layers. Even though these two albums are really different, to me they feel great on one release, and I like them pretty equally (although admittedly there are periods in which I prefer one to the other).

Sky Blue starts with Rejoice, which is definitely a trip back to Addicted. It features infact pounding drums and a cool hooky chorus, with great riffs all over the place. Fallout continues the Addicted vibe, this time featuring Anneke Van Giesbergen as a prominent voice. There was another version of this song that leaked, featuring Devin on vocals. And, not to bash Anneke, she’s awesome, but that version is the version. Enough said. Midnight Sun is a slower piece, somewhat of a ballad. This one reminds me of Terria and Synchestra. It features acoustic guitar and a huge chorus, very sing along-ish. A New Reign brings us further back in time, in the Ocean Machine days. Infact this track is very dramatic, like most of that record, and it sends shivers during all of it, but especially in the “WHERE DID YOU GO” part. Stunning. Universal Flame is my favorite from Sky Blue, it has a strong Epicloud vibe, with the choir and positive lyrics. This is another one that make me shiver all throughout the piece, I really love it. Warrior is a great track, featuring one of my favorite choruses in Dev’s carreer, sung by Anneke. It’s just powerful and features a great message. That, along with RVP’s groovy hi-hat thing and the choir makes it great as it is, for a song that would otherwise be kinda subpar. In Sky Blue Devin turns the pop knob to eleven, he explicitly stated in the booklet that this song was inspired by Usher. And you know, even pop when done good is great, and this is an example of that. There are a lot of neat vocal thingies going on in this track that makes it memorable. Silent Militia is the heaviest track in the album, and it really sounds like an army marching right nearby you. Its chorus has a strong “You spin me right round baby right round” vibe, and it’s equally funny and great. A strong song, that I spin often. With Rain City the album has a mood shift, everything becomes more dramatic and serious in tone. This track especially features an almost ominous chorus, drenched in ambient tonalities, which get fully explored in the next track, Forever, 3 minutes of new age/ambient ethereal/scary soundscapes. A nice break in the record, before the climax. Climax that eventually happens in Before We Die, another Epicloud-like song, featuring the 2000 voices of the Universal Choir, a thing that Devin did where he used the fans as choristers. A really great song to close the record, before the ambient outro in The Ones Who Love.

Sky Blue flows like a river, and also sounds like a river. I always have a great time listening to it, even though it gets a little too serious in the end. Let’s not forget this record was actually “forced” in a way by the record label, so maybe that’s why. But still, it’s incredible.

On to strange Devy-land with Dark Matters! This album compared to its prequel is far far better, IMO. The songs flow better together, there’s better songwriting and music all around. The only thing is the story, that it’s actually a bit underwhelming, but still, I don’t really care about that, since the album is amazing.

So, we begin to follow the adventures of Ziltoid, with the title-track of it all, Z2. This became one of my favorite Devy openers, probably second after Truth. This is an incredible instrumental, that begins with a huge build up and a great 0000 0000 0000 0000 riff, that’s really headbanging worthy. It ends with this huge choral part that makes me shiver. From Sleep Awake is probably the only really dramatic track in the album, one that takes itself seriously, as opposed from all the other tracks. It is infact, one of my least favorites, but still, it’s very short, and feels like an interlude, and not an actual song. Here comes Ziltoidian Empire, a stream-of-consciousness styled song, that I fucking love. Each and every section is really well composed and well played, especially Ryan here gets a chance to shine, and it’s always nice to hear that, since he is a bit underused in Devin’s realm. Or at least, when he’s not playing Planet Of The Apes :rollin The song goes full nuts towards the end, with a fast riff and farts. Yes, farts. Stereo farts. Moving on! In War Princess we encounter for the first time (well, or at least she sings for the first time) Dominique Lenore-Persi, which plays the War Princess role. Her voice is really sensual, and she can really scream too. I listened to her band, Stolen Babies, and they’re great. I recommend them. So, the song itself, sounds like a war march, and that’s really what it is, as it represents when the War Princess gathers the Poozers (her army of ass-shaped aliens) to go and get earth. That’s what happens in Deathray, a song that Devin really needed in my opinion. Pure rock and roll, I always have a blast listening to this piece, and it’s as cool as the other complex stuff that Dev puts out. March Of The Poozers is another straight forward tune, featuring quite the riffs and quite the hook. This is another one that I see really well live, and if I’m not mistaken, Devin uses that huge flying V guitar that has smoke and leds. Massive. Wandering Eye is another short piece interlude, has kind of an electronic vibe to it, but soon that vibe gets crushed by epic choirs in typical Devy fashion. Now begins Earth, which is a track that I still didn’t get. It sounds really orchestral, but for me it’s too much all over the place, and I can’t quite get into it – although the narration is hilarious. And now here it is: the epic, stunning, fast and heavy Ziltoid Goes Home. This track unites furious metal soundscapes of Strapping Young Lad to the gospel and epic choirs of DTP, and it’s just a perfect thing. My favorite. After Through The Wormhole, a skit, not a song, the finale of the story and the album is found in Dimension Z, where all the people of the earth gather together and sing this gospel tune. Like Before We Die, this is a great  conclusion, also with a great epilogue that ties together this album with another, creating somewhat of a Devy universe.

Z2 is the culmination of a summer in which I’ve explored this crazy man’s work, and it’s just too good. Also, when you have a packaging like that, what can you say?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:47:14 AM by mikemangioy »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2015, 01:07:30 PM »
I gave a spin to Z2 just out of sheer curiosity, and I found it awful. Sorry, man. Then again, I'm not a fan of Devin's work at all.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums...AGAIN?! (v2 list) - v. A bald man's sum-up
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »
I gave a spin to Z2 just out of sheer curiosity, and I found it awful.
My thoughts. I couldn't even get past Sky Blue - expected some pop a la Addicted or Epicloud, but found lots of dissonant, even a bit atonal songs that weren't that catchy.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
Man.. Z2 is one of his worst records.
Squ

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2015, 01:53:14 PM »
What is funny is no one believed me when I was saying it was weak for Devin when I had the promo.

I know it was your turn and all, but two lists so close to each other wasn't a good idea.

On an unrelated note, HCE will be a strong contender for my AotY.  Anyone else rank SW solo albums that each new one is better than the previous one?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »
On an unrelated note, HCE will be a strong contender for my AotY.  Anyone else rank SW solo albums that each new one is better than the previous one?
Almost, with the exception that TRTRTS.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »
Great updates! SDOIT, Grace, Parallax II, and Watershed :tup

Nah, I got:

GFD
HCE
TRTRTS
Insurgentes

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »
oh hey it's a decent album from a guy known for putting out great/amazing albums

i don't understand you, mike

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2015, 08:29:07 PM »
Why would you list Ocean Machine as his most serious album?  You are aware of Ki, right?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »
Great updates! SDOIT, Grace, Parallax II, and Watershed :tup

Nah, I got:

GFD
HCE
TRTRTS
Insurgentes
I'd be like

HCE/GFD

Insurgentes

The Raven

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2015, 11:21:02 PM »
Woahwoahwoah criticism, criticism! This is fun :zydar:

Offline mikemangioy

Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums...AGAIN?! (v2 list) - v. :D
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2015, 06:02:44 AM »
Why would you list Ocean Machine as his most serious album?  You are aware of Ki, right?

Good call, Ki is pretty serious too.

---

#20: Rush - Permanent Waves
1980 - Progressive Rock - Canada

When you look at Rush’s discography, you see a great variety and quantity of music. There are 19 albums, and one doesn’t sound like the other. This is another point of why Rush are one of the best bands on the planet, in my opinion. But also, when you look at their discography, there’s a particular timezone in which the band put out 5 masterpieces, one after the other. This is the penultimate one, and it’s Permanent Waves.

This is Rush’s 7th studio album, it came out in January 1 1980, so the eighties started out pretty fucking well shall I say. With this record the band decided to step back a little, because they felt overwhelmed from what they had done with Hemispheres, easily their proggiest album, featuring 4 songs, including an epic 17 minute piece and an intricate 9 minute instrumental. Now, of course the band realized that it was too much, so what did they do? They took the progressive elements of their music at the time, and united it with the mainstream hard rock idea they had at the beginning of their carreer, and the union of these two is just perfect. The songs aren’t so long, but they aren’t banal at all – some of these tunes are among the most technical pieces Rush wrote. But especially, this is a pretty fun record too. Clockwork Angels is still more fun, but this comes pretty close.

The album features 7 songs, and I must say that the order is quite perfect. I really love good ordered albums, there are few that are perfect, and this is one of ‘em.

The Spirit Of Radio needs no introduction, this is a classic song that everybody knows, and it’s always been a good opener, both for the records and for concerts. This song is fun and its lyrics are probably one of my favorites of all time, props to Neil. Also, the reggae part makes me chuckle everytime. Freewill makes me smile like no other songs can do. There’s something so shiny and peaceful in that chorus that really gets me going. Also, that solo with THAT bassline. Geddy, you da man. Jacob’s Ladder is what I was talking about, when I mentioned technicality. This is one of Rush’s most progressive songs, but it’s really more than a song, it’s almost a painting or a showcase. A showcase of what a thunderstorm looks like. There’s a lot of Dream Theater and even a section of what I like to call “ancient djent”, those times in which classic prog acts broke into djenty riffing (like Watcher Of The Skies). This is one of my favorite tracks by Rush, and surely a unique song from them, really recommend it. The second side is started by Entre Nous, a good song with a great message about how each and everyone is different from the other. I like the acoustic guitars in the chorus, and also the vocal melodies. Different Strings is a good ballad, though as I might have already said, Rush are not the greatest ballad writers. But I still enjoy this one. The album closes with a mini-epic, Natural Science. This song is divided into three sections, the first one being about the oldest forms of life, the second being about how technology is evolving humans further and the last one being the moral of the story basically. This song has different moods in it, but they gel really well together, making for a great great listen.

Permanent Waves is just one of those 5 epic records, but it’s one that I’ll always remember, for the encounter between simple and complex, which is perfect in this one. I also like that when I listen to it I can't help but freaking smile. Dem canadians.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums...AGAIN?! (v2 list) - v. :D
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2015, 06:35:43 AM »
Just noticed, you have two #22 albums.  :biggrin: