Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563559 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8575 on: September 05, 2022, 06:23:25 PM »
Watching Everything Everywhere right now...just brilliant.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #8576 on: September 05, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
The husband is actually the actor who played Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8577 on: September 05, 2022, 06:30:05 PM »
Cool! "I'm very little, you cheat very big, Dr. Jones!" I recall hearing his family brought in his brother to audition for that part of Short Round, and someone said he might as well try out too, since he was already there.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #8578 on: September 05, 2022, 06:59:01 PM »
4 movies today, including an 80's Werewolf Triple Feature

Cha Cha Real Smooth
Teen Wolf
Teen Wolf Too
An American Werewolf in London

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8579 on: September 05, 2022, 07:01:14 PM »
Godfather

Just as awesome as always

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8580 on: September 05, 2022, 08:04:06 PM »
Watching Everything Everywhere right now...just brilliant.

Just finished.. So, so damn good. I'm speechless.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8581 on: September 06, 2022, 05:54:21 AM »
Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

Brilliant.  :tup :tup :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8582 on: September 06, 2022, 07:32:33 AM »
Let me say this again.

Belfast is a fantastic movie.
A bit late to the party but last week I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once. What a masterpiece.

Fuck yes to both. I saw Everything Everywhere twice in theaters and then a third time after I bought the 4K release. By far my favorite movie of 2022.
Watched Belfast Friday night. Also fantastic.

I did a John Travolta double feature last night. Blow Out and Saturday Night Fever.

A way better film than it gets credit for; it gets mocked because of the dancing and the dated-ness of the music, but at heart, it's a pretty good film.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #8583 on: September 06, 2022, 08:46:57 AM »
Just watched Top Gun Maverick—the hype is real! Damn fine film :metal

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8584 on: September 06, 2022, 05:56:11 PM »
Orphan, The First Kill.

Well, Julia Stiles saves the film. Other than that it just being disrespect to Orphan 2009.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8585 on: September 06, 2022, 10:08:28 PM »
Galaxy Quest and A Trip to the Moon (1902)

Galaxy Quest is a classic

A Trip to the Moon caught my eye when I was browsing HBO Max. It’s an important piece of cinema history, and I’m sure it was surely something to behold back in 1902 (perhaps some of our more senior members could tell us about that) but here in 2022 it just looks silly.  :lol

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8586 on: September 07, 2022, 11:02:18 AM »
Galaxy Quest and A Trip to the Moon (1902)

Galaxy Quest is a classic

A Trip to the Moon caught my eye when I was browsing HBO Max. It’s an important piece of cinema history, and I’m sure it was surely something to behold back in 1902 (perhaps some of our more senior members could tell us about that) but here in 2022 it just looks silly.  :lol
:rollin

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8587 on: September 07, 2022, 01:24:10 PM »
I remember waiting in line to see A Trip to the Moon.  We paid 5 cents each to get in (that was a lot of money in those days) and popcorn was another 3 cents, so yeah, we had to save up all week for a movie.  Pretty much the same as today, I guess.  You kids today with your fancy computer-generated special effects don't appreciate the beauty of practical effects and stop motion.  That was some cutting edge shit back in the day.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8588 on: September 07, 2022, 05:38:48 PM »
Real talk I watched a movie last year called Vampyr from 1932 that had some of the coolest practical visual effects I’ve ever seen.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #8589 on: September 08, 2022, 12:37:33 AM »
Saint Maud (2019):

Fantastic psychological drama/horror movie. Third time watching it and it keeps growing on me. Looking forward to seeing if Morfydd Clark is as good in Rings of Power (Galadriel) as she is in this.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 12:58:29 AM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8590 on: September 08, 2022, 09:25:27 AM »
The Art of Self-Defense

A decent black comedy where Jesse Eisenberg plays himself. A socially awkward office worker who gets mugged and starts taking karate classes to toughen up and learn how to defend himself. It has the deadpan humor and weird quirks you’d expect from a Wes Anderson movie, but without the color palettes and flat, dead-center camera angles.
Now that I think about it, this movie would have been perfect for Wes Anderson. I’d love to see him do a martial arts/kung fu movie.

Online pg1067

« Reply #8591 on: September 08, 2022, 09:40:56 AM »

Check out Un Chien Andalou.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8592 on: September 09, 2022, 09:05:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve been meaning to check out Buñuel’s work.

Interesting watch. A couple of shocking moments, like the beginning, and a very nonsensical plot if you can even call it a plot. I’m curious how audiences at the time reacted to something like this.

I watched Salò earlier this year and I regret it immensely.

I also watched Thor Love and Thunder last night and it was fine. Tries too hard to be a comedy, which would be ok if the jokes were better and timed better. I will say the screaming goats cracked me up every single time.  :lol Very middle of the road movie overall. I liked Ragnarok more. Still haven’t seen The Dark World and that remains the only MCU movie I have not seen.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8593 on: September 10, 2022, 10:49:30 PM »
I watched Morbius tonight, which WAS the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen, until I watched Moonfall afterwards.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8594 on: September 11, 2022, 06:33:48 AM »
Thin red line for the very first time.

I loved Saving private ryan for years and still do, but there is just something special about Thin red line. Like all of Terrence Malick's work its visually stunning and almost dream like.

Saving private ryan is captivating and brutal, but feels very polished. Thin red line feels more gritty and real in a way. My only complaint is that it took a little too long to get going and its too long overall. But besides that, wow what an awesome movie.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8595 on: September 11, 2022, 06:06:37 PM »
DC League of Super-Pets:

This was probably a little better than I expected, especially Keanu as Batman and some of the pop-culture references.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8596 on: September 12, 2022, 08:31:20 AM »
National Champions. 

It's about the issue of whether college athletes should be paid or not.   Side note, that I didn't know when I started watching it:  it's produced by, among others, Greg Economou, a guy that famously (to me) walked on the Uconn basketball team and ended up contributing to the teams initial rise up in the Big East.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8597 on: September 12, 2022, 09:41:04 AM »
I watched The Goonies for the first time over the weekend.   

Cute movie.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8598 on: September 12, 2022, 04:24:52 PM »
New jack city for the first time

Holy crap, what a movie  :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8599 on: September 12, 2022, 07:11:02 PM »
Somehow growing up I missed The Goonies. I have no reasonable explanation for it. That film would have been right in my wheelhouse. And yet I didn't see it till much later in adulthood, when it just played like a run of the mill silly 80s kid comedy that had me struggling to watch till the end.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8600 on: September 12, 2022, 07:28:09 PM »
I know that feeling. There’s some movies where you don’t get the magic watching them as an adult, but as a child you likely would have.
For me it was Indiana Jones, and I’m sure I’ll get some flack for that. I grew up watching Star Wars, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, etc. but somehow I never watched any Indiana Jones movies until this year when I watched the first 3(I know the fourth one has a terrible reputation). I thought they were just OK. I’m sure if I watched them as a kid I would have loved them.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #8601 on: September 12, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »
Somehow growing up I missed The Goonies. I have no reasonable explanation for it. That film would have been right in my wheelhouse. And yet I didn't see it till much later in adulthood, when it just played like a run of the mill silly 80s kid comedy that had me struggling to watch till the end.

Same experience.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8602 on: September 13, 2022, 01:02:29 AM »
Goonies is a great movie when you are a kid, watching as an adult everything is really annoying!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8603 on: September 13, 2022, 08:56:07 AM »
Finally got out to the theater to see Bullet Train over the weekend. I really enjoyed it, nothing groundbreaking but just a fun way to spend two hours.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8604 on: September 13, 2022, 10:41:47 AM »

It baffles me to this day how Corey Feldman ever got an acting gig.  I watched The Lost Boys recently for the first time in a while and he plays the SAME F-ING CHARACTER in every movie:  the hopeless, hapless kid who acts like he's 40, except for the tablecloth or necktie tied around his head as if that's cool?   WTF?  It wasn't funny then and isn't funny now*.

* Doesn't help that I really, really, REALLY don't like precocious kids in movies; 'Home Alone' is an unwatchable experience for me, and I've wanted for years to pull Joe Pesci aside and slap him and say "have some respect, man!  WTF were you thinking?"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8605 on: September 13, 2022, 10:49:31 AM »

It baffles me to this day how Corey Feldman ever got an acting gig.  I watched The Lost Boys recently for the first time in a while and he plays the SAME F-ING CHARACTER in every movie:  the hopeless, hapless kid who acts like he's 40, except for the tablecloth or necktie tied around his head as if that's cool?   WTF?  It wasn't funny then and isn't funny now*.

* Doesn't help that I really, really, REALLY don't like precocious kids in movies; 'Home Alone' is an unwatchable experience for me, and I've wanted for years to pull Joe Pesci aside and slap him and say "have some respect, man!  WTF were you thinking?"

You ever wonder what life would be like if you were born in a different time? Like, I imagine my psychology career would make more sense in the 70's when the types of therapy I love were popular.

For you? I imagine you'd be pretty pleased if you were born in England in the mid to late 19th century.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8606 on: September 13, 2022, 12:16:59 PM »

You ever wonder what life would be like if you were born in a different time? Like, I imagine my psychology career would make more sense in the 70's when the types of therapy I love were popular.

For you? I imagine you'd be pretty pleased if you were born in England in the mid to late 19th century.

I'm going to assume by that post that a) you're a fan of PRIMAL SCREAM THERAPY, and b) there are no precocious kids in the mid to late 19th century England.  I'm good with that.   :) :) :)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8607 on: September 13, 2022, 12:40:48 PM »
I watched The Black Phone last night. Very recommend

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8608 on: September 13, 2022, 01:36:29 PM »

I'm going to assume by that post that a) you're a fan of PRIMAL SCREAM THERAPY, and b) there are no precocious kids in the mid to late 19th century England.  I'm good with that.   :) :) :)

A) I will gladly offer you Primal Scream Therapy for whenever you read a post by Xe.
B) I just imagine you'd love it. No social media. At all. No strong sense of entitlement. Kids are kept down to the level of roaches that they are and no one respects them at all. And a person is worth only what he is able to work for and earn. It's like your paradise! Plus, they're all about ending divisiveness. I mean, hell, they're trying to unify dozens of countries under their empire to create UNITY and not divisiveness. And what happens when people are divisive? They get dealt with. It's perfect Stadler land.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8609 on: September 13, 2022, 02:17:06 PM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.