Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563667 times)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8540 on: August 14, 2022, 12:08:57 PM »
Studio 666

I wasn't expecting much, but it could have been better. Since they didn't have real actors for the lead roles, they should have had a better director and editor.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online pg1067

« Reply #8541 on: August 14, 2022, 04:40:08 PM »
I tried to watch Licorice Pizza this afternoon.  I barely made it 40 minutes in.  Just boring, jumbled dreck.  Apparently critics thought it was great, but holy hell....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8542 on: August 14, 2022, 05:08:13 PM »
I saw Elvis. Good movie overall.

I'm sure it's full of "artistic licenses" (latin for "stuff they pulled out of their asses for dramatic purpouses") but it was a nice story, with the atmosphere of the time period recreated in a visually cool way. Also telling it from the point of view of the manager was a cool way to have a narrative, and I'm also glad they didn't give a fat suit to the actor, we all know Elvis' decline so since the movie is already (too) long, there was no need to sit through all the drugs and the wasting away.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8543 on: August 15, 2022, 01:35:52 AM »
Donnie Brasco.

Top-notch everything. Really good film.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8544 on: August 15, 2022, 06:12:10 AM »
Prey

Very good overall, although they made the (predictable) mistake of turning the Predator from a hunter to a Halloween/Friday the 13th type slasher.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8545 on: August 15, 2022, 09:19:41 AM »
That sounds like a horrible mistake.  To me, a huge part of the allure is that the Predator is a hunter.  He's not doing this for the "fun" of killing; it is the hunt, and the rules which come with that.  I liked how that was explored a bit in Predator 2.  The trophy case, the fact that he wouldn't kill a pregnant female, etc.  Turning him into a generic slasher totally demeans that.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8546 on: August 16, 2022, 07:01:28 AM »
That sounds like a horrible mistake.  To me, a huge part of the allure is that the Predator is a hunter.  He's not doing this for the "fun" of killing; it is the hunt, and the rules which come with that.  I liked how that was explored a bit in Predator 2.  The trophy case, the fact that he wouldn't kill a pregnant female, etc.  Turning him into a generic slasher totally demeans that.

Yes exactly, and somehow this nerd culture developed around them being a "warrior" race and a bunch of nonsense. Oh well, we can't have nice things.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8547 on: August 17, 2022, 06:00:35 AM »
"Elvis".

Now, I'm a huge Elvis fan, and was really looking forward to this, especially the latter years (I unapologetically love the early 70's Elvis).  It was good, but it wasn't quite there.  I don't really like the Baz Luhrmann stylishness; the juxtaposition of Elvis singing and someone like Doja Cat or Kacey Musgraves doesn't work for me.  I didn't mind the narrative structure, though at first it was jarring.  The factual deviations weren't as stark, though there were some (the TV shooting scene is famous, but it happened at Graceland not Vegas).  I do think they were respectful of his decline - maybe too much so - but I do appreciate that the captured the electricity of his performances, even in the later years.  Fat, sweating, and doped out, and he could still sing rings around 98% of singers.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8548 on: August 20, 2022, 02:12:17 PM »
Finally got around to watching Jurassic World Dominion, what a terrible movie. Really let down.

You're surprised??? It looked fucking awful.
I just watched it for the first time (extended version on blu-ray),  I thought it was a pretty awesome movie! Go figure..  :corn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8549 on: August 22, 2022, 05:44:57 PM »
Had an awesome Double feature day:

1. Terminator 2
2. Constantine

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8550 on: August 22, 2022, 06:29:43 PM »
Saw Lightyear. It was sooo woke for like 5 minutes. I liked it actually.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8551 on: August 23, 2022, 05:20:51 PM »
Elvis. Enjoyable.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8552 on: August 25, 2022, 06:47:46 AM »
I used the fact that I just picked up Michael Mann's novel Heat 2 as a convenient excuse to rewatch Heat for the first time in several years.  Just a masterclass in filmmaking.  One of my favorite heist films.  The only issue I have with it is that Pacino goes a little too far into his "overacting Pacino" form a couple of times.  Yes Al, we know, you're Al Pacino, we know.

I also finally caught the last Bond Film, No Time to Die.  I really enjoyed it, although I thought that Rami Malek's part was beneath him.  I just didn't really buy that character, it seemed very contrived.  Meanwhile, Christoph Waltz's Blofeld seems like a fully realized character.  Of course, that could just indicate a severe talent gap between the two actors, but for now I will go with worse writing for Malek's character.

Daniel Craig has been my favorite Bond by a big margin, and this was a fitting end for him, so I almost hope they just let the franchise remain dormant for a while instead of rushing for another reboot.  But we'll see what happens.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8553 on: August 25, 2022, 08:10:06 AM »
Hot damn, I just watched Dolemite (1975) for the first time

where has this movie been all my life  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8554 on: August 25, 2022, 08:27:00 AM »
Daniel Craig has been my favorite Bond by a big margin, and this was a fitting end for him, so I almost hope they just let the franchise remain dormant for a while instead of rushing for another reboot.  But we'll see what happens.

Same here.  I'd be fine if they let it rest for a while.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8555 on: August 26, 2022, 09:40:31 AM »
I finally got around to catching RRR.

Holy shit.  Nothing I had ever seen before fully prepared me for awesome this movie is.  10 pounds of fun in a 5 pound bag.  My highest recommendation. The craziest shit I have ever seen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Volante99

« Reply #8556 on: August 28, 2022, 11:02:59 PM »
In keeping with the Elvis theme…

3000 Miles to Graceland.
Hadn’t seen it since it first came out. I can’t tell if it’s aged terrible or spectacularly.
Either way, not a bad way to spend a couple hours if you’re stoned out of your mind. Otherwise, avoid.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #8557 on: August 31, 2022, 07:18:38 PM »
Monday night I rented "Men" on Amazon Prime. It's an ok thriller that reminded me of Get Out, but for women. Great performance from Jessie Buckley, but the movie totally lost me with the ending. It gets weird for the sake of being weird and loses whatever message they were aiming for.

I did an interesting unintentional double feature last night. Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and a new movie called Funny Pages, which I rented on Amazon Prime.

Love love love love Ferris Bueller. Feel good movie I could literally watch all day.

Funny Pages left me with the opposite feeling. I liked it, but it's the antithesis of a "feel good movie". I felt like I needed a shower after watching it. Very uncomfortable movie but very well done. It's an example of "subverting expectations" without sacrificing the story, something that I think is rare nowadays.

I've seen 241 movies this year. I'm all ears for suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 07:44:37 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8558 on: August 31, 2022, 08:50:28 PM »
For the love of everything Holy……if you’re even considering watching ‘Samaritan’ on AMZON…..the new Stallone show…..do yourself a favor and use lemon juice eye drops for 100 minutes in lieu of watching that movie.

Good Lord……I knew 15 minutes in it was going to be horrible but I stuck it out to see just how bad. Oooof…..it’s been a while since I’ve seen something that bad.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8559 on: September 01, 2022, 05:32:44 AM »
There's been much worse. Lol. I did figure out who he was early on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8560 on: September 01, 2022, 06:52:04 AM »
Dont watch movies too often with so many great series out there. But did watch these this week
El Camino - 2hr Breaking bad episode, was alright.
Ron's Gone Wrong - cute, seen-it-before story
Father of The Bride - mostly holds up to todays norms, and I do love Martinx2, but not as funny as I was expecting. How do they make sequels? lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8561 on: September 01, 2022, 07:02:03 AM »
There's been much worse. Lol. I did figure out who he was early on.

Yeah....same here. There may be worse out there but it's been a while since I've watched something that bad. At least it was a short one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online pg1067

« Reply #8562 on: September 01, 2022, 09:51:59 AM »
Father of The Bride - mostly holds up to todays norms, and I do love Martinx2, but not as funny as I was expecting. How do they make sequels? lol

Oh man...when I first got together with my wife, she talked up this movie and got me to watch it.  I HATED it.  I was sitting there in stone silence while she was cracking up and wondering why I wasn't enjoying it.  Two things.  First, I don't find flamboyant gayness to be funny.  Second, FOTB is all about one rational person being rational while everyone around him is irrational and unreasonable and, as a result, the rational guy becomes the bad guy.  It's a trope I REALLY don't like (see also What About Bob).

If I remember correctly, the sequel is basically the same story, with the same tropes, and revolves around the daughter having a baby and the father having a mid-life crisis.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8563 on: September 01, 2022, 12:23:35 PM »
That pretty much sums up my feelings about Father of the Bride.  I can see how others might find it funny, but it's not for me at all.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8564 on: September 01, 2022, 01:50:06 PM »
I've been meaning to rewatch Father of the Bride now that it's on D+. I remember enjoying it when it originally came out, though I was only a kid at the time.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8565 on: September 01, 2022, 01:50:59 PM »
I haven't seen the original Father of the Bride or the newest remake, but I love the two Steve Martin ones.

Are they silly and overly light/fluffy? Yup, but they're just so fun and nice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8566 on: September 01, 2022, 03:50:37 PM »
The Steve Martin Father of the Bride films are enjoyable if you want a feel good warn and fuzzy story, with the predictable dips before the highs, but funny? Nah, not really.  Steve Martin's natural skills make some of it kind of funny, but that's about it. And I agree that Martin Short is not funny at all in them.  He is more annoying than anything.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8567 on: September 01, 2022, 08:07:42 PM »
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent.
That movie where Nicolas Cage plays himself. Fun concept, and Cage and Pedro Pascal have great chemistry together. Fun movie, and a movie like this shouldn't take itself too seriously, but this was just a little too silly for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8568 on: September 02, 2022, 08:23:49 PM »
Let me say this again.

Belfast is a fantastic movie.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8569 on: September 02, 2022, 08:35:35 PM »
That movie where Nicolas Cage plays himself.

Not sure if kidding, but I LOLed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #8570 on: September 02, 2022, 08:38:37 PM »

No he really plays himself in the movie.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8571 on: September 02, 2022, 09:42:13 PM »

No he really plays himself in the movie.
Exactly :lol no joke there. but honestly the idea was funnier than the movie itself

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8572 on: September 03, 2022, 09:23:46 PM »
Watched Elvis tonight.

Austin Butler did a great job, but I thought Tom Hanks’ portrayal of the Colonel was a bit…cartoonish? I didn’t know too much about the history of Elvis and I had never even heard of the Colonel before this movie, so maybe it’s an accurate depiction.
Movie was fine, but I thought it was pretty standard as far as musician biopics go. Humble beginnings, rise to fame, international stardom, downfall, etc. Tale as old as time.
I thought the interpolation of modern music with older music was a bit cringey. I heard a Backstreet Boys sample at one point and it totally took me out of the movie.

The movie did remind me of this gem though:
https://youtu.be/5Jd9AmepgdM

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8573 on: September 04, 2022, 12:19:24 PM »
A bit late to the party but last week I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once. What a masterpiece.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8574 on: September 05, 2022, 06:21:04 AM »
Let me say this again.

Belfast is a fantastic movie.
A bit late to the party but last week I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once. What a masterpiece.

Fuck yes to both. I saw Everything Everywhere twice in theaters and then a third time after I bought the 4K release. By far my favorite movie of 2022.
Watched Belfast Friday night. Also fantastic.

I did a John Travolta double feature last night. Blow Out and Saturday Night Fever.