Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563303 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8505 on: July 11, 2022, 10:42:25 PM »
Getting back to The Godfather, one of my greatest cinematic regrets was watching 1 and 2 for the first time as part of a chronological edit (something I believe they did for a TV airing in the 70s). I rented the laserdisc(!) to watch on one of the video cubicles while at college. So not only am I watching these masterpieces on a small TV with headphones, I am doing so in a format Coppola even said doesn't work as well compared to watching them consecutively. Years later I was able to watch them properly (at least pt 1 and then 2), and they have been favorites of mine ever since. Nicholas Meyer was talking about one of the Trek films he did, and how he missed a few details, how even if they are small, but can make a difference. And he referenced The Godfather as a film where all the details are right.

My fondest memory of that viewing was when some tough looking dudes starting walking through the viewing area, checking out what everyone was watching, listing off some film names they see, and one of them saying "damn, everyone's watching some good shit in here tonight!" right at the point Sonny gets killed. So I am of course riveted, and now distracted. And then one guy sits down next to me for the next scene, and gently says "Now watch how the camera slowly follows Vito in to the room where Tom is..." He saw my face and said "Wait, have you not seen this before?" I said I hadn't and he apologized for interrupting me and said he'd leave me alone to enjoy the experience. Anytime I watch that scene now, I remember that.

I really loved calm Al Pacino, he was perfect in demeanor for an up-and-coming Don. I think it's why I dislike part 3 so much, he became Scent of a Woman Pacino and that was distracting than all the other stuff.

I am happy to be the Official dtf.org Godfather 3 defender. Michael isn't full-on Scent of a Woman Pacino here, but I will concede your point. What's Michael's most intimidating scene in GF1? When he stands outside the hospital and acts like he is going for his gun when that car pulls up? When he shouts "ENOUGH!" to Kay at the end, the outburst shocks us, because for the previous 2.5 hours, he hasn't once raised his voice.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8506 on: July 11, 2022, 11:03:16 PM »
It's been a while since I've seen part III but that's what I mostly remember how different Pacino was compared to the previous movies. I have yet to re-visit Part II and will dive into III after. I'm also curious how this new edit for III is.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8507 on: July 12, 2022, 07:11:55 AM »
I watched the three Godfather movies and I too had a problem with Al Pacino in the third.

In the first two movies, he was young and I could see him as Michael Corleone. By the time the third movie came out, he grew up to have one of the most recognizable faces of movies history, the one I came to know him from other roles as well, and I couldn't see Michael anymore, just Al Pacino playing a role.

Not his fault of course that I haven't been around to see him gradually age over time, but the difference was striking. I guess it can potentially happen with any actor one becomes acquainted with in mature age - for example, I'm sure that if it had happened with young Anthony Hopkins, I would have seen a young Hopkins for the first two movies, and then suddenly I'd be seeing Hannibal Lecter.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 08:07:38 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8508 on: July 12, 2022, 07:52:36 AM »
I watched the three Godfather movies and I too had a problem with Al Pacino in the third.

In the first two movies, he was young and I could see him as Michael Corleone. By the time the third movie came out, he grew up to have one of the most recognizable faces of movies history, the one I came to know him from other roles as well, and I couldn't see Michael anymore, just Al Pacino playing a role.

Not his fault of course that I haven't been around to see him gradually age over time, but the difference was striking. I guess it can potentially happen with any actor one becomes acquainted with in mature age - for example, I'm sure that if it had happened with young Anthony Hopkins, I would have seen a young Hopkins for the first two movies, and then suddenly seeing Hannibal Lecter.

I know the phenomenon you're writing about and Pacino was particularly struck by that.  He was so sublime in movies like The Godfather (in the early part of the first movie, you barely noticed him sitting at the table while Sonny carried on) and Dog Day Afternoon.  He later became unwatchable to me.  He, Dustin Hoffman, and to a lesser extent Nicholson became too big to really immerse themselves in a role.  I would watch them - especially the first two - and in my head I'd be screaming "I'm acting here!  I'm ACTING HERE!".   It was like listening to Yngwie Malmsteen in a sense.

That was what was so great about Brando; he was such a big star even at the time of the Godfather, and yet he never let it overwhelm his character.  His CHARACTER was sort of bigger than life, but I never once thought "oh, BRANDO!".   The greatest Vito lines aren't the histrionic "I'm just gettin' stawted here!" or "You can't HANDLE the truth!" explosions, but the subtlety of lines like "now you come to me and you say "Don Corleone, give me justice", but you don't even ask with respect."  I know what's coming and I still get chills over that line.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #8509 on: July 17, 2022, 12:00:34 AM »
I just watched the West Side Story remake. I’m not a big fan of musicals but this one is a classic. I saw the original West Side Story a number of times when I was a kid as my parents were big fans and also had the soundtrack. Spielberg did a great job with the remake, and it was a nice touch giving Rita Moreno a role.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8510 on: July 19, 2022, 07:05:35 AM »
I watched American Psycho again.  It's a confounding movie; at times I think "wow this is DEEP" and I feel there are details that I pick up each watch, then at other times I think "this is all just a meme put up on the big screen and makes no sense whatsoever".   I always leave with more questions than answers.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8511 on: July 22, 2022, 07:12:52 AM »
Finally got around to watching the new Top Gun.  Wow, what a great movie and great sequel.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8512 on: July 22, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »
La guerre du feu / Quest for fire

Wonderful movie without dialogue.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8513 on: July 22, 2022, 09:40:21 AM »

A movie on which an excellent song was based.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8514 on: July 22, 2022, 10:59:47 AM »

What song?  ;)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8515 on: July 22, 2022, 11:01:49 AM »

What song?  ;)

To Tame a Land.

;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8516 on: July 22, 2022, 11:11:51 AM »
Perfectly read.  :)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8517 on: July 22, 2022, 04:35:54 PM »
Chip N' Dale: Rescue Rangers. The recent re...meta....I dunno...movie.

It was actually really good. Not a ground breaking plot, but very well executed and very cleverly written. It handled itself quite brilliantly.

And while I want to commend the writers for such a good job, I'm more curious how their legal team pulled that off. The amount of cameos from different studios is astounding. Especially considering that one of them was literally just mocking itself the whole time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8518 on: July 22, 2022, 04:59:09 PM »

What song?  ;)

To Tame a Land.

;)

I knew I was going to take flack for that, but I LIKE QFF!   :metal
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8519 on: July 23, 2022, 05:34:00 AM »
Recently seen:

- The documentary on Netflix about the Fyre festival. Gosh, why trainwrecks are so addictive? it was a compelling watch.

- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Cool I guess, just another Marvel movie.

- The Voyeurs on Amazon Prime. Better than I hoped.

- The Black Phone. Great psychological horror with supernatural tones.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #8520 on: July 23, 2022, 09:44:38 PM »
Today I went to see the new Jordan Peele movie, Nope. I liked it and the slow building of suspense was well done, but damn, the ending was a hot mess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8521 on: July 23, 2022, 11:44:21 PM »
Today I went to see the new Jordan Peele movie, Nope. I liked it and the slow building of suspense was well done, but damn, the ending was a hot mess.

Just got back as wel from seeing this one. Unsure of how to even describe it. I didn’t ‘not like it’……but at the same time not sure that I was overly impressed. Interesting idea for sure, totally dug where they were going with it all…..but putting it all together seemed to be an issue for them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8522 on: July 24, 2022, 05:30:52 AM »
Recently seen:

- The documentary on Netflix about the Fyre festival. Gosh, why trainwrecks are so addictive? it was a compelling watch.

- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Cool I guess, just another Marvel movie.

- The Voyeurs on Amazon Prime. Better than I hoped.

- The Black Phone. Great psychological horror with supernatural tones.

Re: Dr Strange. Noteworthy for how awesome Elizabeth Olsen was in it.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #8523 on: July 24, 2022, 08:20:59 AM »
I finished The Gray Man on Netflix an hour ago.

Currently watching one of my favourite Bond films, The Spy Who Loved Me.

Both are great if you haven’t seen them.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #8524 on: July 24, 2022, 01:44:46 PM »

Just got back as wel from seeing this one. Unsure of how to even describe it. I didn’t ‘not like it’……but at the same time not sure that I was overly impressed. Interesting idea for sure, totally dug where they were going with it all…..but putting it all together seemed to be an issue for them.

The back story for Steven Yuen's character was completely unnecessary. It didn’t add anything to the story, given that he was just an ancillary character. Maybe it was just an attempt to inject some horror.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8525 on: July 25, 2022, 06:30:47 PM »
Planes Trains and Automobiles...one of the greatest comedies of all time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8526 on: July 26, 2022, 08:06:04 AM »
The Batman

Wow, what a fantastic film.  Dark superhero with great detective content and a dash of Se7en.  Really nice stuff.

The only weak point, IMO, was Pattinson's performance as Wayne.  But him as Batman, as well as everything else, was really nice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8527 on: July 26, 2022, 08:55:05 AM »
The Batman

Wow, what a fantastic film.  Dark superhero with great detective content and a dash of Se7en.  Really nice stuff.

The only weak point, IMO, was Pattinson's performance as Wayne.  But him as Batman, as well as everything else, was really nice.

I agree with all of that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8528 on: July 26, 2022, 09:03:43 AM »
The Batman

Really been wanting to watch this.....everyone says it's a good movie. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8529 on: July 26, 2022, 09:07:47 AM »
Hef nailed it. It's like an old Gumshoe detective story, just brooding.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8530 on: July 26, 2022, 09:14:04 AM »
Yeah I loved the new Batman, very different from what previous movies have been. To me it gave the same vibes as the movie Seven, just with super hero characters. Sorta like a Batman version of the new Joker movie. Mostly grounded with an interwoven detective plot unfolding slowly. And terrific score.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8531 on: July 26, 2022, 02:26:04 PM »
Logan Lucky

A redneck heist flick. Some subtle cleverness.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #8532 on: July 31, 2022, 07:01:09 AM »
Currently watch Infinity War. Endgame tomorrow.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8533 on: July 31, 2022, 07:07:14 AM »
Finally got around to watching Jurassic World Dominion, what a terrible movie. Really let down.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #8534 on: July 31, 2022, 11:27:00 AM »
Been watching a lot of movies this year, yet somehow never posted in this thread.

Watched Eraserhead last night, and The Straight Story this morning. Both directed by David Lynch and they could not be more different.

Second time watching Eraserhead. Weird as hell but not as weird on the second watch.
First time watching The Straight Story. It’s odd that David Lynch of all people directed a Disney movie. His style comes through and I think it compliments the movie. The movie itself is enjoyable, but I thought the ending was abrupt.

Next up is Lynch’s version of Dune.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8535 on: August 05, 2022, 02:21:43 PM »
My sister-in-law and her husband had never seen The Man Who Knew Too Little so we watched it last night. Bill Murray is SO great in it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8536 on: August 05, 2022, 03:37:57 PM »
I love that movie!  Yeah, it's kinda dumb, but they set up the premise well enough, and it kinda gets out of control from there.  But it works.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8537 on: August 07, 2022, 04:33:45 PM »
Just saw Bullet Train. Enjoyed that more than expected. Good action movie that doesn't take itself seriously.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8538 on: August 07, 2022, 05:59:39 PM »
Just watched Belfast. A must see. The little dude can act!!! 

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8539 on: August 07, 2022, 06:20:08 PM »
Finally got around to watching Jurassic World Dominion, what a terrible movie. Really let down.

You're surprised??? It looked fucking awful.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol