Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563430 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8470 on: May 31, 2022, 04:33:12 AM »
Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers.

Saw the trailer and thought it would be very bad. Then saw it was a direct to Disney+ release and was curious, a quick google showed me it reviewed well. I had a great time with it. If you are into animation and are a millenial (I am), you are the target audience. There are soooo many references to all kinds of animation properties (also outside of Disney) and it did it in a way I enjoyed it. The film in general is very aware of itself and uses it to it's strength. It's a detective story of sorts. It's all Disneyfied, but the film goes well into adult themes for sure (human trafficing, drug addiction etc.).

My only real complaint would be the lacklustre animation of some of the 2d characters, as they are obviously not drawn and are CG models that are supposed to look like the classic Disney cartoons. They don't, really. Still, it is amazing to see how many characters of wildly different styles of animations come together in this. And I thought the modern cgi characters and claymation stuff looked great.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #8471 on: May 31, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »
The Man With the Golden Arm 1955

Sinatra, Novak, McGavin. Ahead of its time, pretty gritty account of heroin addiction.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8472 on: June 05, 2022, 02:09:29 PM »
Just finished Secrets of Dumbledore, it's on HBO Max, and tbh, I really enjoyed it. In fact, I'll go on record as saying I enjoy the Fantastic Beasts films more than the original series, but I'm definitely in the minority I'd imagine.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8473 on: June 05, 2022, 05:22:38 PM »
I forgot about those movies. I am watching the original 8 with the kids - just did #5 last night. Maybe I will check these out once we are done.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8474 on: June 06, 2022, 09:13:16 AM »
Chinatown (1974)

A classic.  I hadn't seen it in 20 or 30 years.  Not perfect, but really really good.

Hail, Satan? (2019)

An excellent documentary on the founding and exploits of The Satanic Temple.  Highly recommended.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8475 on: June 06, 2022, 12:24:25 PM »
A lot of Chinatown fans here, as I recall. As you said, not perfect, but still plenty cool. Particularly seeing Nicholson in his prime, rather than after he became a caricature. One of the things that struck me as odd was that Chinatown never actually factored into the movie until the final scene. Lots of talk about "you don't stand a chance if you go down in Chinatown" ( :metal), but never any explanation. Just the shootout at the end.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8476 on: June 06, 2022, 12:25:26 PM »
Just finished Secrets of Dumbledore, it's on HBO Max, and tbh, I really enjoyed it. In fact, I'll go on record as saying I enjoy the Fantastic Beasts films more than the original series, but I'm definitely in the minority I'd imagine.

I don't like them better than the original series, but I do like them.  I thought 3 was a step up from 2 (and that Mads Mikkelsen did a much better job than Depp in the role).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8477 on: June 06, 2022, 08:47:11 PM »
Chinatown is one of those movies I didn't get because I believe I saw it when I was too young to have a full appreciation for different types and styles of cinema.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8478 on: June 07, 2022, 06:20:51 AM »
Chinatown is one of those movies I suppose I have to revisit.  I've seen it - and agree with El Barto about Nicholson - but I can't say it really sunk in.  I know there's more "there" there, but I haven't experienced it yet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8479 on: June 07, 2022, 09:36:18 AM »
A lot of Chinatown fans here, as I recall. As you said, not perfect, but still plenty cool. Particularly seeing Nicholson in his prime, rather than after he became a caricature. One of the things that struck me as odd was that Chinatown never actually factored into the movie until the final scene. Lots of talk about "you don't stand a chance if you go down in Chinatown" ( :metal), but never any explanation. Just the shootout at the end.
Yep.  I actually liked that about the film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8480 on: June 12, 2022, 12:38:54 PM »
Just finished one called Troll Hunter on Prime. About ten years old, it's a Blair Witch style mockumentary about troll hunters in Norway. Really, really fun flick. Stumbled across it cause there's an upcoming sequel to it called Troll on Netflix.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8481 on: June 26, 2022, 09:22:05 AM »
So....I watched two movies recently that I realized I never saw all the way through.   "Lost Boys" and "An Officer And a Gentleman".   Neither lived up to the hype.   "Lost Boys" is just silly; Joel Schumacher is a hack, I'm sorry.  Cliched, vaguely veiled insinuations that ultimately go nowhere, the two Corey's possibly the two most overrated actors in the history of Hollywood (is there a movie where Corey Feldman DOESN'T wear a napkin tied around his head?).  I want my $2 back.   AOAAG; Lou Gossett Jr. was amazing, Debra Winger was solid, but the overacting by Richard Gere; ugh.  The scene with his dad (Robert Loggia) before he joined the Navy was excruciating.   I didn't quite get the need for the fight, and while Gere famously came around to liking it, the showing up at the factory was lame-o, if you ask me. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:39:06 AM by Stadler »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8482 on: June 26, 2022, 09:31:27 AM »
Lost Boys might have been the first kinda scary movie I saw in the theater. That alone gave it high marks for a young Cool Chris.

My parents liked Officer and a Gentleman a lot, they owned it on VHS. Another young me memory is somehow finding out there were boobs in it and sneaking it in the VCR when the parents were asleep. Didn't see the whole thing till much later. I share the same thoughts as you on this one.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #8483 on: June 26, 2022, 11:05:00 AM »

We talked about this a Film Analysis class I took in college.

“Chinatown” is meant to be symbolic of a society that runs on corruption, murder, theft- a sort of societal shift from the previous generation from rural to city/urban living (also symbolized by the setting of a burgeoning Los Angeles). You can try to fight the new system, and save the girl (innocence) as Jake tries but you’ll always come up short. Evelyn, already a victim of the city and Katherine, who is shown being taken by Noah (it’s next victim) are both lost. All in the final setting of Chinatown.

With CHINAtown it also represents something exotic, foreign, elusive that the Western man, with traditional, old time morality isn’t equipped to deal with.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8484 on: June 26, 2022, 11:24:06 AM »
So....I watched two movies recently that I realized I never saw all the way through.   "Lost Boys" and "An Officer And a Gentleman".   Neither lived up to the hype.   "Lost Boys" is just silly; Joel Schumacher is a hack, I'm sorry.  Cliched, vaguely veiled insinuations that ultimately go nowhere, the two Corey's (possibly the two most overrated actors in the history of Hollywood; is there a movie where Corey Feldman DOESN'T wear a napkin tied around his head?).  I want my $2 back.   

I am with ya on Lost Boys.  I never saw it until maybe five years ago or so and thought it was pretty forgettable. Felt like one of those films I probably needed to see at the time in the 80s to appreciate.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8485 on: June 26, 2022, 01:10:04 PM »
So....I watched two movies recently that I realized I never saw all the way through.   "Lost Boys" and "An Officer And a Gentleman".   Neither lived up to the hype.   "Lost Boys" is just silly; Joel Schumacher is a hack, I'm sorry.  Cliched, vaguely veiled insinuations that ultimately go nowhere, the two Corey's (possibly the two most overrated actors in the history of Hollywood; is there a movie where Corey Feldman DOESN'T wear a napkin tied around his head?).  I want my $2 back.   AOAAG; Lou Gossett Jr. was amazing, Debra Winger was solid, but the overacting by Richard Gere; ugh.  The scene with his dad (Robert Loggia) before he joined the Navy was excruciating.   I didn't quite get the need for the fight, and while Gere famously came around, the showing up at the factory was lame-o, if you ask me.

I don't remember if I ever saw AOAAG.  IF I saw it, it would have been a rental sometime in the late '80s or '90s with a girl.

The Lost Boys is a fucking classic.  However, I saw it in a theater (also with a girl), so I have a much different perspective.  It doesn't surprise me that a guy in his mid-'50s who never saw it before wouldn't really like it.  It's definitely a "you had to be there" movie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8486 on: June 26, 2022, 02:17:36 PM »
I sometimes wonder if people in 2050 are going to talk about Dr. Strange or whatever the heck movies are popular now in terms of "You had to be there..."

Seeing a film on a date in high school definitely informs my opinions of two timeless masterpieces: Unforgiven and Schindler's List (and no, we did not make out during Schindler's List, Newman).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8487 on: June 26, 2022, 02:34:23 PM »
So....I watched two movies recently that I realized I never saw all the way through.   "Lost Boys" and "An Officer And a Gentleman".   Neither lived up to the hype.   "Lost Boys" is just silly; Joel Schumacher is a hack, I'm sorry.  Cliched, vaguely veiled insinuations that ultimately go nowhere, the two Corey's (possibly the two most overrated actors in the history of Hollywood; is there a movie where Corey Feldman DOESN'T wear a napkin tied around his head?).  I want my $2 back.   AOAAG; Lou Gossett Jr. was amazing, Debra Winger was solid, but the overacting by Richard Gere; ugh.  The scene with his dad (Robert Loggia) before he joined the Navy was excruciating.   I didn't quite get the need for the fight, and while Gere famously came around, the showing up at the factory was lame-o, if you ask me.

A long time ago, you promised to get around to To Kill a Mockingbird. Did you ever?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #8488 on: June 26, 2022, 03:59:15 PM »
Finally got around to seeing No Country For Old Men. It was very compelling, but the ending was just….huh?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8489 on: June 27, 2022, 06:40:48 AM »

A long time ago, you promised to get around to To Kill a Mockingbird. Did you ever?

Not yet; I just watched those because literally they were just starting on cable when a show we were watching was over.   I'll get to it, though, because you're not the only one asking me (my daughter wants me to see it too).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8490 on: June 27, 2022, 09:24:50 AM »
Lost Boys doesn't hold up.  I liked it when I was in high school, but it kind of sucks now.  Best thing about it is the Grandpa.  Otherwise, none of the characters are really likable at all.  I rewatched it not too long ago, and was rooting for everyone to die.

I never liked An Officer And A Gentleman.

Yesterday we watched The Kings Man.  It was a serviceable "turn your brain off" action film, I suppose, but not as good as the first Kingsmen film.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8491 on: July 04, 2022, 02:26:58 PM »
Was scrolling through Alaska Airlines free movie offerings on my flight and thought I was going to come up empty until I got to the Ys and saw Young Frankenstein. Never saw it before. This type of humor isn't in my wheelhouse, and I didn't LOL once, but I had a smile on my face for much of it, so it was a worthwhile choice, even if I don't get the reverence for it. The casting made this work as many of the ideas seem uninspired on paper. Igor's hump changing sides isn't funny. Gene Wilder's reaction to it made it work.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8492 on: July 04, 2022, 05:14:44 PM »
Was scrolling through Alaska Airlines free movie offerings on my flight and thought I was going to come up empty until I got to the Ys and saw Young Frankenstein. Never saw it before. This type of humor isn't in my wheelhouse, and I didn't LOL once, but I had a smile on my face for much of it, so it was a worthwhile choice, even if I don't get the reverence for it. The casting made this work as many of the ideas seem uninspired on paper. Igor's hump changing sides isn't funny. Gene Wilder's reaction to it made it work.
Young Frankenstein is a masterpiece. Not as a comedy, like you I'm not crazy about the style of humour, but as an impressive bit of film making. As an homage to the original it's wonderful. Watching it on an IFE screen or a laptop is going to turn out poorly. You need to be able to really see it. The quality of the black and white film. The way the shots are framed. Mel and Gerald Herschfeld (DP) did a fantastic job. The score was brilliant, too.

The entire cast did a great job. And you're right about the reactions. I'm going to single out Teri Garr [because of course I am] as some of her reactions were priceless. When Frankenstein is heading up to the roof to do the thing with the lightning, he looks her right in the eyes and proudly says "elevate me." Her reaction "what here? Now?" while looking side to side was one of the highlights. Peter Boyle's expression when Wilder's howling "it's alive!" is just as good. A lot of the big jokes fell flat for me. Putting on the Ritz didn't really work for me. So many of the subtler jokes were superb, though.

It's just so well done.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #8493 on: July 04, 2022, 08:06:50 PM »
Young Frankenstein is a masterpiece.

It is in my top 10 of all time.  Mostly because of Gene Wilder and Madeline Kahn.  The whole cast is perfect, really.  And I enjoy the campy/parody style of comedy here simply because of the near frame by frame homage to the original Frankenstein.

Put....the candle...back   :lol

Taffeta darling.....

What knockers!

You take the blonde, I'll take the one in the turban :eyebrows:

I always change my social media avatar to Kahn as the bride of Frankenstein in October.  Sweet mystery of life...at last I've found you..... :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8494 on: July 04, 2022, 08:15:12 PM »
Watched that Dr. Strange Multiverse movie. Wasn’t bad…..I’m a lightweight MCU fan so it was ok I guess.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8495 on: July 04, 2022, 08:19:52 PM »
Young Frankenstein is indeed a masterpiece, so many puns in there make me giggle like a 7 year old. Haven't seen in ages though, wonder how it has aged.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8496 on: July 05, 2022, 05:41:21 AM »
My favorite Mel Brooks movie is History of the World Part 1.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8497 on: July 05, 2022, 11:22:41 AM »
It's good to be the king.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8498 on: July 05, 2022, 12:00:30 PM »
Pawn jumps Queen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8499 on: July 05, 2022, 12:48:16 PM »
It's been a while since I last saw it, but last night watched The Godfather start to finish in one sitting. Close to 3 hours, can't remember when I last saw a movie that long at home without any interruptions. I kept forgetting the movie was set in the mid-late 1940s and I think it was largely well captured for a movie released in 1970. The bluray is an excellent restoration and I heard the 4k is even better. I probably will get that someday. It's funny how I remembered Luca Brasi in a bigger role than what it really was, he's barely there yet has one of the most iconic faces from the movie.

I really loved calm Al Pacino, he was perfect in demeanor for an up-and-coming Don. I think it's why I disllike part 3 so much, he became Scent of a Woman Pacino and that was distracting than all the other stuff. Going to see if I can do the same for part 2 tonight and watch it in one sitting, the first one was a lot about the interplay between gangs and the control they exerted and 'family'. Part 2 is a lot more calculating and intriguing with the backdrop of seeing Vito's backstory.

Either way it still holds up really well barring a few fight choreography misses. Sonny punching in the air is hilarious to watch.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8500 on: July 07, 2022, 08:55:28 PM »
I cannot pass up a chance to comment on The Godfather but I want to wait till I am back from vacation and can use my computer.

But in terms of timeliness I just read James Caan died.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8501 on: July 07, 2022, 08:58:08 PM »
Yeah RIP Sonny, he was perfect in the role.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8502 on: July 07, 2022, 09:25:09 PM »
Well, crap, I hadn't heard that.  One of my favorite actors ever.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #8503 on: July 08, 2022, 01:24:21 PM »
James Caan fans should enjoy this interview. Well worth the time.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1179-james-caan
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8504 on: July 11, 2022, 11:42:13 AM »
Recently watched The Two Jakes, Nicholson's sequel to Chinatown.

I mean, it was something to watch.  Not bad per se, but no comparison to the original.