Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554315 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8155 on: September 07, 2021, 11:50:32 AM »
I fucking hate Rudy.  Which is probably more sacrilegious to some than you not yet having seen it.

I bet you hate Notre Dame as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8156 on: September 07, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »
I fucking hate Rudy.  Which is probably more sacrilegious to some than you not yet having seen it.

I certainly have no love for them.  But that has nothing to do with hating that movie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8157 on: September 07, 2021, 12:17:00 PM »

I certainly have no love for them.  But that has nothing to do with hating that movie.

I know.  Just razzing you.  I don't mind the movie. I don't own it but watch it once in a while when it's on cable.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8158 on: September 07, 2021, 12:56:24 PM »

I know.  Just razzing you.  I don't mind the movie. I don't own it but watch it once in a while when it's on cable.
Whenever I see it on the guide while channel surfing, I actually say out loud, "Fuckin' Rudy."   :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8159 on: September 07, 2021, 01:29:51 PM »
 :lol

I've been razzing Lisa lately that she's destroying my DRV with her mushy girl shows.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8160 on: September 07, 2021, 01:32:14 PM »

I've been razzing Lisa lately that she's destroying my DRV with her mushy girl shows.
Just keep recording The Expendables.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8161 on: September 07, 2021, 02:07:03 PM »

Just keep recording The Expendables.

Even I won't stoop that low.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8162 on: September 07, 2021, 02:34:23 PM »

Like?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8163 on: September 07, 2021, 02:39:28 PM »

Like?

You're asking me? LOL 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8164 on: September 07, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »

Like?

You're asking me? LOL

I'm just making sure there's no overlap.  :) :) :)    I've already got Married At First Sight (which I watch), a couple variations on the "90 Day Fiance" franchise (which I watch depending on who the people are), and Darcey and Stacey, this bonehead from Connecticut who started out on 90 Day Fiance and reminds me SOOOOOOO much of someone in my life, and her sister (which I watch while doing other things). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8165 on: September 07, 2021, 02:45:03 PM »
I'm leaving work.  I'll get you those sappy titles when I get home. :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8166 on: September 07, 2021, 02:53:49 PM »

I don't know why but they played this movie non stop when I was in middle school. I must've seen it 20+ times and I hate it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8167 on: September 07, 2021, 03:37:10 PM »

I don't know why but they played this movie non stop when I was in middle school. I must've seen it 20+ times and I hate it.

Damn...and here I thought I was going to catch crap for never having seen it before and not really liking it.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8168 on: September 07, 2021, 04:14:56 PM »

Like?

You're asking me? LOL

I'm just making sure there's no overlap.  :) :) :)    I've already got Married At First Sight (which I watch), a couple variations on the "90 Day Fiance" franchise (which I watch depending on who the people are), and Darcey and Stacey, this bonehead from Connecticut who started out on 90 Day Fiance and reminds me SOOOOOOO much of someone in my life, and her sister (which I watch while doing other things).

Chesapeake Shore
American Housewife

Are a few.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8169 on: September 12, 2021, 08:54:33 AM »
Finally saw Million Dollar Baby.

Really, really good. I won't post any spoilers, except to say that the film did not end the way I thought it would.  Great performances by Eastwood, Swank and Freeman. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8170 on: September 12, 2021, 04:45:53 PM »
That is one of those movies I still recall watching in the theater, one that I can consider an experience, as opposed to just watching something on a screen.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8171 on: September 26, 2021, 03:33:44 PM »
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

First of all, Holy Shit!!  That was a kickass movie!

Mrs. Orbert wanted a night out after we'd both worked our asses off "at work" (which is also "at home") all week, so we went to our local cinema that serves overpriced mediocre dinners, and did dinner and a movie.  Food was mediocre but okay.  Movie kicked both our asses.  Only four or five parties in the whole theater (couples, and a few familes).  It was nice.

Second of all, as many here know, I am Chinese, with a complete set of four Chinese grandparents, so I was impressed that Marvel did it right and cast all Chinese actors in the main Chinese roles.  It always bugs me in movies or on TV when Korean guys play Chinese guys, or Japanese guys play Korean guys, etc.  So this was much appreciated.

The film was a worthy entry to the expanding Marvel pantheon, yet also an excellent modern-day Martial Arts flick.  And the story is pretty good, too.  Tons of action -- this is a Marvel flick, after all -- but the usual character detail and world-building as well, plus the extra bonus of doing it all within an Asian (specifically Chinese) aesthetic.  Really well done, overall.

Ten Rings out of Ten
(sorry, was that too obvious?)
Will Definitely Watch Again

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8172 on: September 27, 2021, 07:28:41 AM »

This is why we can't have nice things.  I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8173 on: September 27, 2021, 10:12:18 AM »

This is why we can't have nice things.  I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

Well, I'll miss you.

But I will still loathe that movie.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8174 on: October 02, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #8175 on: October 02, 2021, 02:11:33 PM »
The Happiness of the Katakuris (2001) If ADHD somehow gained physical form and started making movies they still wouldn't be as scatterbrained as the works of Takashi Miike and that's why I love his movies. Just your average dark comedy with musical numbers, claymation scenes, a full blown karaoke style music video, dancing zombies and a volcano. One of my new favorite movies.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8176 on: October 03, 2021, 06:58:52 AM »
Dune (1984) what a strange and terrible movie. I hadn’t read the book but my girlfriend had so she was filling me in on how bad the everything was.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8177 on: October 03, 2021, 10:21:01 AM »
1984 Dune was awesome for 12 year old me, or however old I was when I first saw it - having not read or been familiar with the book. I cannot imagine enjoying it, or even watching it, now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8178 on: October 03, 2021, 10:22:03 AM »
Gattaca

Fantastic film.  I had barely heard anything about it, and was pleasantly surprised. 

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8179 on: October 03, 2021, 05:25:08 PM »
1984 Dune was awesome for 12 year old me, or however old I was when I first saw it - having not read or been familiar with the book. I cannot imagine enjoying it, or even watching it, now.

There's a brand new version by the guy who made Blade Runner 2049:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8180 on: October 03, 2021, 05:27:56 PM »
Yea, I watched it so I could have at least some background before I saw the new one.

I remember looking to my girlfriend at some point and saying "So....it's Lawrence of the Arabia....in space." Then read that Lawrence of a Arabia was a huge influence on the novel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8181 on: October 04, 2021, 07:10:05 AM »
Free Guy. Another action comedy with Ryan Renolds about videogames, AI and merciless tech gurus. Quite fun, and with a LOL famous cameo as a cherry on top. The right amount of silly, I'd say.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #8182 on: October 04, 2021, 08:48:21 AM »
Shadow of the Vampire (2000) - Interesting movie based on the urban legend that Nosferatu actor Max Schreck was actually a vampire. Willem Dafoe was fantastic and more than earned his Oscar nomination. Hope it gets a re-release soon as the DVD is out of print.

Doom Asylum (1987) - One of the worst horror "comedies" I've seen in a loooong time. Every attempt at humor was more brutal than the deaths.

Phantom of the Opera (1943) - Not my favorite universal horror movie but Claude Rains was great in it. Also one of few horror movies they did in color and it's gorgeous to look at. I wish they'd bring Technicolor back as the colors really pop.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8183 on: October 17, 2021, 05:02:21 PM »
Watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone with the kids (10 and 4) this weekend. I watched the series maybe 4 years ago but they had not seen any of them, or read any of the books. THey both really enjoyed it and asked when we could watch the next one. My 10 year old usually finds some crappy kid's film on Netflix or Disney+ that I can't sit through 10 minutes of, so am ecstatic we could all enjoy this together. I know they are going to get too intense for my younger kid, so we'll have to figure out what to do when we get to that point.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8184 on: October 17, 2021, 05:08:31 PM »
Halloween kills.

HUGE disappointment...

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #8185 on: October 17, 2021, 10:26:29 PM »
Just finished Halloween Kills. Loved it, a complete blast from beginning to end
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8186 on: October 24, 2021, 11:23:01 AM »
Dune, which was stunning.

Winchester, which was about as tame of a horror film as I could convince my wife to watch lol.  Not very good, but a fun watch for a Saturday night, I suppose.

Dracula (1931).  Aw yeah.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8187 on: October 24, 2021, 02:48:52 PM »
I haven't seen that Dracula (at least I don't think I have) so won't comment on that one in particular, but I just cannot get in to those old horror films.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8188 on: October 26, 2021, 12:33:24 PM »
I watched The Campaign last night for the first time in probably 7+ years. It's still hilarious.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8189 on: October 27, 2021, 01:25:56 PM »
I haven't seen that Dracula (at least I don't think I have) so won't comment on that one in particular, but I just cannot get in to those old horror films.
They are definitely about mood and atmosphere, not cheap tricks or gore.

My wife can't get into them either.  I suspect there are a lot of other people who also can't get into them.

I also like the Hammer films, although the vibe is completely different.  They most certainly are about gore and sensational horror, and they are in vibrant color, unlike this Dracula film.