Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554259 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8050 on: June 29, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »
Isn't Richard Burton's Cleopatra like 5 hours long ? What a ballache. Was it ever in the cinema ? I wonder if they had an intermission every 2 hours or something.

I'd watch Elizabeth Taylor in her prime for five hours.
Boy, no kidding.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8051 on: June 29, 2021, 04:16:27 PM »
Plus it was in that era where epics are just people walking around and talking and orchestral music which is far too loud. Not my cup of tea!

I stayed at my Grandads house for a while in 2015 before I moved into my current house. He loved watching Westerns and the dialogue was really quiet

then the music was FUCKING LOUD :lolpalm:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8052 on: June 29, 2021, 04:20:42 PM »
Plus it was in that era where epics are just people walking around and talking and orchestral music which is far too loud. Not my cup of tea!

I stayed at my Grandads house for a while in 2015 before I moved into my current house. He loved watching Westerns and the dialogue was really quiet

then the music was FUCKING LOUD :lolpalm:

So a Christopher Nolan film?  ;D
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8053 on: June 29, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »
TENET IN THE CINEMA WAS INCREDIBLE
ELBIDERCNI SAW AMENIC EHT NI TENET

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8054 on: June 29, 2021, 05:28:24 PM »
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

I love this movie.  Sam Rockwell always delivers, and I didn't realize how early in his career this movie was.  Doesn't matter; he's awesome, as always.

Was Chuck Barris actually an agent for the CIA?  I have no idea, though in this world, anything is possible.  It's also possible that Chuck was completely deranged.  You know what?  It doesn't matter.  If it were true, this is what it would look like.  Very intelligently written, satirical, cynical, critical, and a lot of fun.  Just buy into it and enjoy the ride.

Five ridiculous conspiracy theories out of five.  Will watch again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8055 on: June 30, 2021, 05:09:18 PM »
Maybe it's the overall trend towards PG-13 vs R in order to get the most viewers.  Probably some of each.  But PG-13 always feels like they've dialed it down a notch compared to R.

This annoys me too. Like the director of Robocop (2014) said his film was going to be a lot darker but the studio kept making him take stuff out to be PG-13 so more people could pay to see it.

How about he makes the film he wants to make and you release the PG-13 version in cinemas and BOTH versions on DVD ?

I hate the idea of castrating art to maximise profit. Like - changing the film at script stage in order to get more people in the cinema is just lame - but  - it is a business after all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8056 on: July 01, 2021, 05:45:57 AM »
Does it really matter?  I mean, I get it if the hero keeps saying "frig" instead of the more family "f***", or something, but I honesly can't remember a movie that I thought "wow, this would be so much better if it was rated whatever".

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8057 on: July 01, 2021, 06:22:54 AM »
Does it really matter?  I mean, I get it if the hero keeps saying "frig" instead of the more family "f***", or something, but I honesly can't remember a movie that I thought "wow, this would be so much better if it was rated whatever".

Right. If the plot and acting is good, you don't need a bunch of gratuitous swearing and violence shoehorned in. See: every Oscar winner ever up until about 1968

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8058 on: July 01, 2021, 07:51:21 AM »
I'm not saying I want films to be full of violence and gore and swearing and stuff. Just let the film makers make the film they want to make.

I'm talking about taking a script - and taking stuff out - JUST SO that they can make as much money off it as possible.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8059 on: July 01, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »
Not every movie has to be Oscar-level material.  Sometimes the point is to just make an insane testosterone-fueled flick with dudes mowing other dudes down with machine guns, blowing shit up, and swearing like a motherfucker.  Then it becomes popular and becomes a "franchise" and the suits decide that Blood and Death III will be rated PG-13.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8060 on: July 02, 2021, 05:07:24 AM »

Deadpool was so much better as an R film.  The 'Princess Bride' / PG-13 version was cute and all, but R-Rated Deadpool is a necessity.  There are some movies that (imo) can take you out of the moment with the necessities of PG-13.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8061 on: July 02, 2021, 05:33:45 AM »

Deadpool was so much better as an R film.  The 'Princess Bride' / PG-13 version was cute and all, but R-Rated Deadpool is a necessity.  There are some movies that (imo) can take you out of the moment with the necessities of PG-13.

No, I get it; but I'm skeptical about there being "rules" and "absolutes".   There is absolutely zero question that all three of these are true:

Both Ron Howard and Steven Speilberg have made some of the greatest films in the history of the cinema.
Both Ron Howard and Steven Speilberg have made some of the most popular films in the history of the cinema.
Both Ron Howard and Steven Speilberg have made artistic choices that incorporate the second factor as much (or more) than the first.

I don't get this idea that somehow popular is artistically bad.   I just don't.  Don't you WANT people to watch your film? 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8062 on: July 02, 2021, 05:43:10 AM »
I agree. NOBODY was piling on Avatar until it made $3bn.

When The Force Awakens came out - EVERYONE was raving about it. Then it made $2bn then everyone hated it.

I don't get this need to PROVE popular things are in fact SHIT. :blob:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8063 on: July 02, 2021, 08:58:10 AM »
When The Force Awakens came out - EVERYONE was raving about it. Then it made $2bn then everyone hated it.

WildRanger would be proud of this statement!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8064 on: July 05, 2021, 06:36:36 PM »
I'm watching on Netflix,  America: The Motion Picture.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! :lol :lol :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8065 on: July 05, 2021, 08:14:23 PM »

Seconded.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8066 on: July 05, 2021, 09:42:45 PM »
I watched The Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime.

Kinda cliche but a pretty decent time travel action movie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8067 on: July 06, 2021, 04:02:38 AM »

Seconded.

Better than Team America?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8068 on: July 06, 2021, 05:33:56 AM »

Seconded.

No but is damn funny.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8069 on: July 06, 2021, 06:14:52 AM »

Seconded.

No but is damn funny.

Definitely more idiotic and stupid than Team America.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8070 on: July 06, 2021, 06:44:52 AM »

Seconded.

No but is damn funny.

BRO! :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8071 on: July 06, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »
I watched The Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime.

Kinda cliche but a pretty decent time travel action movie.

I too saw this with the wife during the weekend, it could have been a lot better honestly. Interesting premise that kinda went too much on the 'turn off your brain' end. I love brainless action movies and enjoy them for what they are, but this movie kinda didn't follow its own rules. There were some great sequences and in the end felt like a big mix of so many styles and past movies. I kept thinking of Edge of Tomorrow, The Thing, Aliens, Armageddon, and a few others... all thrown into the mix.

I'd probably give it a 5.5/10. Somewhat fun but could've been a lot better.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 12:38:31 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8072 on: July 06, 2021, 11:46:06 AM »
I watched it too, mainly because I'm a Doughboys fan and had to see Mitch, and I have similar sentiments. The tonal shift and last part sort of dragged.

Also I'm not the only one who initially got confused by the premise but I thought it was a movie about drafting folks from various past wars which would've been a neat concept as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8073 on: July 06, 2021, 12:20:45 PM »
Speaking of time travel - now that i've gorged myself on TENET for months - I'd love to go back and watch Primer again.

Not sure how though. I don't like it enough to buy it and I doubt it's on any Streaming services.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8074 on: July 06, 2021, 06:41:04 PM »

Seconded.

No but is damn funny.

That's impressive.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8075 on: July 12, 2021, 11:14:37 AM »
Saw The Tomorrow War on Friday.  I don't really have much to add that hasn't been said.  It was decent.  Nice to watch something I haven't already seen.

My daughter loved it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8076 on: July 13, 2021, 02:49:33 AM »
Anyone watching the Fear Street movies on Netflix.  Part one and two are out and the third and final part is coming next Friday.

I liked the first one (1994) enough, but the second one (1978) was actually really good, hope the final part (1666) ends the trilogy satisfyingly.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8077 on: July 19, 2021, 10:33:22 AM »
Black Widow

Not an upper echelon MCU film, to be sure, but a fun watch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8078 on: July 21, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
Jackass Forever | Official Trailer (2021 Movie)

Feels like an alternate universe to see Steve-O completly sober and Bam Margera deep in drugs, although that has been going on for sometime. Honestly, i've watch some of the videos on Steve's YT page and I must say he really seems to be in a good place and turned his life around while still being Steve-O.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8079 on: July 22, 2021, 08:16:23 AM »
I'm pumped for this movie.

I highly recommend listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with Steve-O as a guest. He really gets into the depths of his drug use and sobriety, a really great listen.

Truthfully I won't miss Bam. He stunts weren't that great on the movies.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8080 on: July 22, 2021, 02:02:42 PM »
I am beyond excited for No.4!

I too won't miss Bam at all. I hope he gets whatever help he needs. He's been fucked since Ryan died.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8081 on: July 23, 2021, 12:20:38 PM »
Wow i've seen so much talk and memes about Nick Cages movie PIG but from reading reviews it seems the movie is not at all what people thought. I see alot of 9 and 10 reviews on imdb, that's awesome. Nice to see Cage getting some serious praise for once.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8082 on: July 28, 2021, 02:10:50 AM »
Saw The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, sequel to The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Just as gloriousy cheesy and funny as the first one, a stupid action movie to have fun enjoying Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Renolds.

A good portion of the movie is set in Italy and boy if they did play loose with the locations. For example they used Portofino and showed a big venue and paved streets, too bad that Portofino is too small and there is no place for such big palaces, it's just a village on the water  :D but this is forgiveable, where they dropped the ball is showing "Florence" with an estabilishing shot of the cathedral.... and then showing immediately after the centre of Trieste which is another big town near Slovenia (and with an absolutely iconic and one of a kind central square).

I mean.... I get it, all movies shoot somewhere else than the supposed location of the story. But one thing is to film a random street and pass it off as Washington or New York, and another thing is to show the Space Needle to show that you're in Seattle.... and immediately after having the protagonists in front of the Willis Tower in Chicago. That was soooo jarring and took me completely out of the movie.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8083 on: July 28, 2021, 03:23:30 PM »
Yeah, I hate it when I recognize landmarks in movies and they cause problems like that because I know they can't "really" be where they say they are.  I think the majority of the moviegoing public won't notice or care, but some of us do, and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to get the geography at least reasonably correct.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8084 on: July 29, 2021, 09:37:20 AM »
Saw The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, sequel to The Hitman's Bodyguard.

I've never heard of these movies, but I assume the next one in the series will be

The Hitman's Wife's Hairdresser's Bodyguard

followed by

The Hitman's Wife's Hairdresser's Second Cousin's Bodyguard

and then

The Hitman's Wife's Hairdresser's Second Cousin's Best Friend's Bodyguard.

:biggrin: