Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554726 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8015 on: June 07, 2021, 06:59:59 AM »
In Bruges.

Watched the movie only because it was set in the wonderful and magnificent Bruges, and I found myself watching the weirdest Harry Potter spinoff ever: Professor Moody is a partner of Colin Farrell, and they hide out in Bruges after a botched hitman job, and Colin meets Fleur Whatshername (the blonde chick that was part of one of the visiting delegations during Goblet of Fire), and their boss turn out to be Voldemort.

Somehow okayish action thriller, but as I said, I watched it only because it was set in Bruges.

That’s a fantastic comedy. Not sure id call it an action thriller despite there being action. It was quite clearly a very strange comedy.

I need to rewatch that; I remember seeing it once and really liking it, though there was something at the end and I don't remember if it's because the end is weird/bad, or I was interrupted from watching it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8016 on: June 07, 2021, 07:02:36 AM »
After sleeping on it, my liking of the movie improved reflecting on it. After watching I'd give it a 6, now I'd say it's a 7. But as I said, the main draw was seeing Bruges, it was fun recognizing all the landmarks!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8017 on: June 07, 2021, 11:12:32 AM »
It's my second favorite movie of all time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #8018 on: June 07, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »
Remember really liking that movie. Just checked on IMDb and I rated it a perfect 10, guess I need to rewatch it lol.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8019 on: June 08, 2021, 10:24:51 AM »
The Return of the King (Extended Edition)

One of the great cinematic feats in history.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8020 on: June 08, 2021, 06:41:28 PM »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

WOW, is that thing an early 90's time capsule, lol. I remember liking it a lot more when I was a kid, but then again I was 4  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8021 on: June 12, 2021, 05:06:09 PM »
The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Sometimes I watch famous movies I never saw just on a hunch or hoping that their fame is not undeserved, or just by random reasons - this one was because I've read that it was shot in Procida, a very pictoresque and quite colored island off the coast of Naples in Italy (seriously, google it and daydream a bit) and I wanted to see a movie set there, of which I didn't know the plot.

It was very nice to see the movie unfold before my eyes, kinda realized where it was going but it was very interesting. Shot on location on the aforementioned Procida, Rome, Venice.... only the town of Sanremo felt odd to me and, sure enough, they shot it in a completely different region, but for the rest, it was all the real deal, all the locations were true and it was nice seeing those places I've all seen (except Procida, sob) as the background of this gripping story.

They even used all italian actors for the italian roles (I think he's virtually a nobody outside Italy but I was surprised to see Fiorello there as well, he went on to have a successful carrer in TV and radio, he's basically a jack of all trades of show business and one of the most famous and acclaimed showmen in Italy), recently I watched season 4 of Fargo and it was painfully obvious to me who were the italian actors, and who were the english speaking actors trying to pass off as italians.

Ah well, I guess that's what spanish and far east people have to endure as well. For example I watched Narcos and I just enjoyed the performance of Escobar's actor, but any spanish speaker apparently could notice very clearly that he was a brazilian (portuguese) speaker who took spanish lessons. Details lost to me obviously, like you english speakers guy probably don't notice the difference between an italian speaking italian, and an english speaker trying to play an italian character.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8022 on: June 12, 2021, 06:19:51 PM »
I meant to see The Talented Mr. Ripley when it came out, or maybe on TV later, or something, but somehow never have.  Hell of a cast, and I've heard it's pretty great anyway.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8023 on: June 19, 2021, 09:19:58 AM »
Watched Luca on Disney+, the new Pixar film. It was a fun comping of age, fish out of water, kind of story. Probably in the bottom half of Pixar's films, but still worth watching.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8024 on: June 20, 2021, 02:42:54 AM »
Speaking of movies set in Italy, I watched for the first time Il Postino, AKA The Postman.

Dunno how much the movie is actually famous outside Italy, but it was Massimo Troisi's swan song. A celebrated actor of Naples, basically a living incarnation of the culture and the atmosphere of the city, who had heart-related health problems all his life, and postponed an important surgery just because he wanted so bad to do the movie. He died literally 12 hours after finishing shots for the movie.

The story is about a postman, on an island in south Italy in the '50s (it's never named but many scenes are shot in Procida, the same as The Talented Mr. Ripley), who befriends Pablo Neruda who's there in exile from Chile, and eventually gets help to find the words to woo the beautiful bartender of the village. Lot of beautiful sceneries, italian / neapolitan rustic atmosphere, and all around a nice movie, forever tied to Massimo Troisi's last performance.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8025 on: June 21, 2021, 01:31:57 PM »
Yesterday, my father-in-law was over for Father's Day.  We watched The Dirty Dozen and The Outlaw Josey Wales.  Two classics, of course.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8026 on: June 21, 2021, 01:36:35 PM »
Speaking of movies set in Italy, I watched for the first time Il Postino, AKA The Postman.

Didn't Kevin Costner to a version of that?  Or are they unrelated.

Over the weekend, I watched Midway.  Kinda bleh.  Lots of action in places, but it'd be hard to imagine that the story of such an epic battle could be told in a more dull manner.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8027 on: June 21, 2021, 08:41:17 PM »
Yesterday, my father-in-law was over for Father's Day.  We watched The Dirty Dozen and The Outlaw Josey Wales.  Two classics, of course.

It isn't may favorite movie by any means, but The Dirty Dozen is one I could watch anywhere, any time, and enjoy it. Reisman is one of my all-time favorite film characters.

I didn't enjoy Josey Wales the first time I saw it years ago. It just might not have met my expectations. Have been meaning to revisit, but hasn't happened.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8028 on: June 22, 2021, 01:25:57 AM »

Didn't Kevin Costner to a version of that?  Or are they unrelated.

No relation whatsoever, just the name. Costner's movie is set in a post apocalyptic Utah, the italian Postman is set in south Italy in the '50s.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8029 on: June 22, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »
I watched TENET *again*. I love it so much.

Chris Nolan's movies all have this 'vibe' that no other director has. I'm trying to think but I don't think there's any slow-mo in the entire film.

My reckoning is - it was touted as a sort-of sequel to INCEPTION and I bet Nolan thought that if he had any slow-mo scenes at all - that

people would be going OMG ITS IN LIMBO - DOM IS THE PROTAGONIST OMG. And he didn't want to be inundated with Qs about it haha.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #8030 on: June 23, 2021, 12:16:22 AM »
I’m going to watch it again soon (Tenet). It all went a bit fast for me in the cinema. I did like it though.

Last night I got halfway the movie Looper. Second viewing after having seen it when it came out. It’s a cool movie, quite Nolan-esque!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8031 on: June 23, 2021, 05:35:49 AM »
It’s funny when people think Shutter Island is a Nolan film cause it stars Leo

And has a twist ending :lolpalm:  he’s not M Night Shyamalan!

I think if Nolan made Looper he wouldn’t have made JGL have prosthetics.

He would have just had JGL play young Bruce Willis.

Looper is good but his face was a distraction as you’re constantly trying

to imagine him as a young Bruce Willis and he just looks off.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8032 on: June 23, 2021, 06:25:49 AM »

Chris Nolan's movies all have this 'vibe' that no other director has.

Pure direction I find Nolan closest in style to Fincher. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8033 on: June 23, 2021, 06:36:48 AM »
Never noticed a super specific "vibe" but the dude sure is a talented technical film maker. I actually liked Dunkirk but never saw Tenet. I just didn't see anything in the trailer that grabbed me and the reviews didn't inspire me either. Seems like it was a technical masterclass, but I don't have a huge interest in those at the moment. If he ever gets back to good character work, I'm in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8034 on: June 23, 2021, 08:05:33 AM »
It’s funny when people think Shutter Island is a Nolan film cause it stars Leo and has a twist ending

Is this even a thing? I never knew anyone thought Shutter Island was a Nolan movie.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8035 on: June 23, 2021, 08:19:16 AM »
It’s funny when people think Shutter Island is a Nolan film cause it stars Leo and has a twist ending

Is this even a thing? I never knew anyone thought Shutter Island was a Nolan movie.

Yea. I've never heard that either. I'm sure SOMEONE thinks it. My mom thinks Superman is a Marvel character. I just don't think it matters at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8036 on: June 23, 2021, 05:29:49 PM »
When I say Nolan movies all have a vibe. It's an intangible thing. Nothing I can put my finger on. But something about all his films have this..."feeling".

It could be a mixture of pacing, music, framing, cinematography, score, exposition. Everything combined that makes all his films have this weird vibe.

In a good way of course. Other-worldly.

I can't even describe it.

Although I do think he lost something when Wally Pfister gave up being a DP. Inception looked fantastic. Warm and sharp. Interstellar with Hoyte van Hoytema looked really cold

and almost blurry by comparison. Dunkirk was a bit better and then TENET had stunning Cinematography. The shot with all the Chinooks carrying the shipping containers

is so epic. It's like he told the guy writing the score - ok Hans Zimmer is busy - just pretend you're Hans Zimmer - and told the DP to be pretend he was Wally Pfister.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8037 on: June 24, 2021, 05:54:39 AM »
Just by the by - but I thought of something funny last night.

In Interstellar - Anna Hathaway tells Matt McWhatsisname that " Time can't run backwards. it just can't. "

Then two movies later - the entire film is about time running backwards.  :D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8038 on: June 24, 2021, 06:43:08 AM »
When I say Nolan movies all have a vibe. It's an intangible thing. Nothing I can put my finger on. But something about all his films have this..."feeling".

It could be a mixture of pacing, music, framing, cinematography, score, exposition. Everything combined that makes all his films have this weird vibe.

In a good way of course. Other-worldly.

I can't even describe it.

Although I do think he lost something when Wally Pfister gave up being a DP. Inception looked fantastic. Warm and sharp. Interstellar with Hoyte van Hoytema looked really cold

and almost blurry by comparison. Dunkirk was a bit better and then TENET had stunning Cinematography. The shot with all the Chinooks carrying the shipping containers

is so epic. It's like he told the guy writing the score - ok Hans Zimmer is busy - just pretend you're Hans Zimmer - and told the DP to be pretend he was Wally Pfister.

Phrasing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8039 on: June 25, 2021, 12:30:37 AM »
k

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8040 on: June 26, 2021, 12:43:10 PM »
Luca, the latest Disney / Pixar animated movie.

It was ok, not a masterpiece but not a wasted 95 minutes either, it was fun and visually beautiful - of course the selling point was the italian scenery where they basically made a "greatest hits" of actual villages of Ligury, and created a fictional one (Portorosso). But the atmosphere and the colors were nailed, the characters were a bit of a stereotype but nothing really to complain about. Google "Cinque Terre" to get a feel of the real villages that inspired the movie.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8041 on: June 27, 2021, 04:24:03 PM »
Currently watching Kenneth Branaugh’s full unabridged version of Hamlet.

Forgot how excellent this is.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8042 on: June 27, 2021, 04:56:43 PM »

Isn't it like 13 hours long, or some shit?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8043 on: June 27, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »

Isn't it like 13 hours long, or some shit?

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Just the 4. But I’m glad someone put the whole thing to film.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8044 on: June 27, 2021, 06:43:16 PM »
Lots of cameos. Robin Williams being one of them. It must have KILLED him to have a part with absolutely zero improv.  :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8045 on: June 28, 2021, 02:58:49 PM »
Alas Poor Yorick, I knew him Horatio... [New York voice] and he was a lousy tipper!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8046 on: June 29, 2021, 07:27:14 AM »
That version of Hamlet is an incredible achievement.  Just incredible.

I haven't seen it in probably 20 years.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8047 on: June 29, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »
Isn't Richard Burton's Cleopatra like 5 hours long ? What a ballache. Was it ever in the cinema ? I wonder if they had an intermission every 2 hours or something.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8048 on: June 29, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »
Isn't Richard Burton's Cleopatra like 5 hours long ? What a ballache. Was it ever in the cinema ?
What do you mean, was it ever in the cinema?  Where do you think it was?  It was the most expensive film ever made to that point, and literally almost bankrupted a studio.  They didn't just sit on it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8049 on: June 29, 2021, 12:24:35 PM »
Isn't Richard Burton's Cleopatra like 5 hours long ? What a ballache. Was it ever in the cinema ? I wonder if they had an intermission every 2 hours or something.

I'd watch Elizabeth Taylor in her prime for five hours.