Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 557924 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7910 on: March 08, 2021, 06:47:29 PM »
Singles was huge around here as much of the film was shot locally.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7911 on: March 09, 2021, 07:30:22 AM »
I remember when Singles came out.  It was fairly popular.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7912 on: March 09, 2021, 11:21:15 AM »
I think I'll have to watch Singles again, it was that interesting.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7913 on: March 19, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »
I Care A Lot was highly recommended to me, so I watched it. It wasn't bad, but seemed a bit too hokey, and some of the writing was really sloppy. Felt like one of those films where the acting was great, but the writing let it down.  An entertaining watch, but I wouldn't go in expecting a cinematic masterpiece.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7914 on: March 22, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »
The Last Dragon (1985).  Gloriously terrible, just as I remembered it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7915 on: March 22, 2021, 01:31:35 PM »

Was the family groaning or were they gleefully giggling like you were watching it?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #7916 on: March 23, 2021, 05:12:45 AM »
Just watched Jason Bateman in "Bad Words". I loved it, and thought it was pretty unique. Lotta laughs.
I thought it was a new movie, and realized it is from 2013. Strange how some films go under your personal radar.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7917 on: March 24, 2021, 08:58:01 AM »

Was the family groaning or were they gleefully giggling like you were watching it?
It was just my brother and I.  We were roasting it all the way through.  Good times.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7918 on: March 24, 2021, 09:01:11 AM »
Oh man. I love watching those types of movies with my brother.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7919 on: March 24, 2021, 01:22:20 PM »
Coming 2 America

Not as bad as it could have been, but not great either. As usual with a lot of these sequels, they focused on how to get in as many callbacks to the first film as they could instead of focusing on the story.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7920 on: March 25, 2021, 03:34:30 PM »
Coming 2 America

Not as bad as it could have been, but not great either. As usual with a lot of these sequels, they focused on how to get in as many callbacks to the first film as they could instead of focusing on the story.

This is actually the best review I have seen of it to date.  It has been getting crushed everywhere, and I am not even sure I want to bother with watching it now.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7921 on: March 25, 2021, 04:38:41 PM »
Coming 2 America

This is actually the best review I have seen of it to date.  It has been getting crushed everywhere, and I am not even sure I want to bother with watching it now.

One of the guys on the sports talk radio show I listened to at lunch today said he thought it was really good -- particularly Arsenio Hall.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7922 on: March 31, 2021, 05:35:45 AM »
Plan on watching Godzilla vs Kong today.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7923 on: March 31, 2021, 05:58:02 AM »
Coming 2 America

One of the guys on the sports talk radio show I listened to at lunch today said he thought it was really good -- particularly Arsenio Hall.

I really didn't hate it. It was fun and definitely had its moments, but it felt like a Disney movie or something. Being PG-13 really handicapped it I think. It's weird how just being able to say "fuck" a whole bunch of times can make a movie funny/better.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7924 on: March 31, 2021, 09:01:17 AM »
The original was rated R, and I haven't seen it in a while, but off-hand the only reasons I can think of for that are the topless bathers and Samuel L. Jackson robbing the store.  Again, I don't really remember, but I imagine he used some colorful language.  But there are examples of bare breasts in PG-13 movies, and the occassional F-bomb.

Maybe Eddie is actually mellowing in his old age and doesn't feel the need to be so edgy.  Maybe it's the overall trend towards PG-13 vs R in order to get the most viewers.  Probably some of each.  But PG-13 always feels like they've dialed it down a notch compared to R.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7925 on: March 31, 2021, 09:04:39 AM »
An R rating wouldn't have helped Coming 2 America at all.

It was the script, not the rating. The movie is essentially a tribute to the first movie as opposed to being a sequel and a movie in its own right. They were so focused on showing their love for the first one that they forgot to make a damn movie of its own.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7926 on: March 31, 2021, 09:28:20 AM »
The ratings don't mean the same thing as they did in the 80s.  I remember showing my kids Ferris Bueller's Day Off a while back (probably 5-6 years ago when they somewhere in the 11-14 range).  I did not remember how much of an f-bomb fest that movie was.  Hard to imagine it would still get a PG-13 today.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7927 on: March 31, 2021, 10:15:33 AM »
The original was rated R, and I haven't seen it in a while, but off-hand the only reasons I can think of for that are the topless bathers and Samuel L. Jackson robbing the store.  Again, I don't really remember, but I imagine he used some colorful language.  But there are examples of bare breasts in PG-13 movies, and the occassional F-bomb.

Maybe Eddie is actually mellowing in his old age and doesn't feel the need to be so edgy.  Maybe it's the overall trend towards PG-13 vs R in order to get the most viewers.  Probably some of each.  But PG-13 always feels like they've dialed it down a notch compared to R.
I think Ed was pretty upfront about toning down his whole shtick, which he announced years ago. There's no way he does Delirious or Raw now (which is for the best since modern audiences would pretty much demote him to Hitler status if he pulled that now). I think he got in pretty early in the whole socially conscious movement (and got blasted for it) and hasn't looked back. And not like Pryor, who only decided to stop throwing "nigger" around every other word while still being provocative and profane (and funny), but a real focus on making family oriented movies.  I didn't know he redid CtA, but I'm honestly kind of surprised.

As for ratings, I can't believe people still pay attention to those things. They've always been arbitrary and seriously misguided. Don't let the MPAA raise your kids, FFS.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7928 on: March 31, 2021, 08:11:27 PM »
Just finished Godzilla VS Kong on HBO... not sure if it was awesomely horrible or horribly awesome, but I enjoyed it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7929 on: April 01, 2021, 04:47:41 AM »
Just finished Godzilla VS Kong on HBO... not sure if it was awesomely horrible or horribly awesome, but I enjoyed it.

I waited 45 years for a quality version of this, and was disappointed. Some really dumb stuff and boring characters.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7930 on: April 01, 2021, 06:14:27 AM »
98 Godzilla = The best Godzilla

I've only seen 3 (I think) Godzilla movies, and the only Kong movie I've seen is the one with Jack Black. I liked the Kong movie a lot and genuinely love the 98 Godzilla. I really didn't like the one with Brian Cranston. Is the new one a lot like that? I was actually looking forward to watching the new one.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7931 on: April 01, 2021, 06:44:47 AM »
I too watched the new Godzilla vs Kong last night, I'll admit I enjoyed it a lot. I'd give it a 9/10.

I've seen all the recent Kong and Godzilla movies. The best one is still the Peter Jackson one though it's not connected to the monsterverse like the rest. The 1998 one is also one of my guilty pleasures, it's such a fun movie even though I haven't watched it since it released. I saw that in the theater and it was so entertaining.

Among the connected Monsterverse movies I'd rank them as follows

Godzilla (2014) (9/10) - saw this in IMAX, what a fun experience.
Kong Skull Island (9/10)
Godzilla King of Monsters (7/10) - Human stories were complete crap, monster fights were amazing.

The new movie has IMO the best human interaction among all the new movies. There are still some scenes and story parts that are really jammed in but overall I thought it worked.
Honestly the only draw of these movies are the monster fights, all the other things are bonus, if the story is good, great, if the humans are somehow not in the way, good.

The action in this new movie is truly the best of them all and there are plenty of them. Some of the view points are unique and the action is slowed down enough and takes place during the day and is very visible at night too.  If you enjoy monsters beating the shit out of each other, this is right up your alley. I'll have to watch again and I'd say this actually might be my favorite among them all. I kinda want to go to the theater to watch this but unfortunately won't happen, this would be magic to watch on Dolby Cinema.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7932 on: April 01, 2021, 07:06:17 AM »
They seriously fuck up Hong Kong  :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7933 on: April 01, 2021, 08:13:31 AM »
Yea you reminded me of Peter's King Kong, haven't seen that since I saw it at theater. I remember really enjoying it.

98 Godzilla was pretty cool I have to admit.

Godzilla (2014) Was great, I enjoyed that alot if I remember correctly

Kong: Skull Island Actually can't remember much about that movie and i'm not sure that's a good thing.

King of the Monsters was aweful especially the human interactions as you said, in general I just skimmed through the whole mess even the monster fights couldn't keep me interested.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7934 on: April 01, 2021, 08:59:51 AM »
OK we're doing this.

King Kong 2005 - 9/10 - a little too long
Kong Skull Island - 9/10 - fun
Godzilla King of Monsters - 8.5/10 -
Godzilla vs Kong - 6.5/10 - very boring human characters
Godzilla 2014 - 5/10 - title character seldom seen
Godzilla 1998 - lol  2/10 - IT'S NOT GODZILLA
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 09:07:03 AM by Dream Team »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7935 on: April 01, 2021, 09:11:41 AM »
Biggest complaint about the latest Kong was the complete waste of Millie Brown and the kid from Deadpool 2. They could've been a great comedic duo and the writers just bombed.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7936 on: April 01, 2021, 11:46:18 AM »
All I want is monster-fightin eye candy.  If I can enjoy the shit out of Battleship, I'm sure I'll love 'zilla v Kong... whenever I can get the chance to see it.

I really hope when this pandemic is over, some movies get re-released for theatre viewing.  This one, and Tenet would be the top of my IMAX go-back-for wish list.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7937 on: April 01, 2021, 11:55:19 AM »
You are literally the only person I have ever seen or heard who has this opinion. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, because likes are, of course, subjective.  But you are as wrong as you can be, under the circumstances.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7938 on: April 01, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »
All I want is monster-fightin eye candy.  If I can enjoy the shit out of Battleship, I'm sure I'll love 'zilla v Kong... whenever I can get the chance to see it.

I really hope when this pandemic is over, some movies get re-released for theatre viewing.  This one, and Tenet would be the top of my IMAX go-back-for wish list.

I randomly DVR'd that movie off of HBO about a week ago and watched it last weekend.  Granted, I did not sit in rapt attention the whole time, but I thought it was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time (although it wasn't so bad that I turned it off).

And I agree about some movies getting re-released.  Not sure I'd go so far as IMAX, but I would certainly check out this new Kong v. Godzilla movie on a big screen.  I don't go to a ton of movies, but I do get the jones to go every few months, and it's now been like eight months since I've seen one (they re-released Empire Strikes Back when theaters briefly re-opened last summer), and I'm really wanting a good popcorn flick!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7939 on: April 01, 2021, 03:10:14 PM »

You're gonna love the shit out of this then.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7940 on: April 01, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »
You are literally the only person I have ever seen or heard who has this opinion. 

I thought the same thing, but consider:

Quote from: Chino
I've only seen 3 (I think) Godzilla movies

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7941 on: April 01, 2021, 07:06:52 PM »
So then it should be the 3rd best Godzilla film he's seen.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7942 on: April 01, 2021, 07:13:17 PM »

I'm not saying you're wrong, because likes are, of course, subjective.  But you are as wrong as you can be, under the circumstances.

Godzilla actually seems real or believable in that one though. I like how it looked and moved. I thought it was cool how it utilized the subways. I liked how it reproduced and was caring for its young. It didn't have some mythical hyper beam-like attack.  Like, if a komodo dragon or iguana mutated into something the size of a skyscraper, that's how it would/should look and behave. I liked thta the monster was grounded in some sort of reality.

I'm sure that for Zilla fans that's like the least important aspect, but it was the first of the films I saw, so I had nothing else to compare it to.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7943 on: April 02, 2021, 07:25:28 AM »
The Yin-Yang Master: Dream of Eternity.

Chinese action fantasy movie on Netflix. It goes all way in with the outlandish action sequences and magical powers like Dr. Strange's golden circles opening portals (did they rip off Dr. Strange or did Dr. Strange took inspiration from eastern myths) and there are warriors, masters, a giant-ass evil viper, hair demons (yeah I mean it) and all you can think of.

The visuals are stunning however. If you like the ancient China ahestetics and you don't mind some popcorn action when you just roll with the flow, you might enjoy this. 2 hours and 10 minutes of chinese warriors magically battling demons and enemies (and as I said, a giant-ass viper that embodies evil or whatever) amidst the amazing and beautiful backdrop of a chinese imperial city.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:30:39 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7944 on: April 02, 2021, 09:16:27 AM »

I randomly DVR'd that movie off of HBO about a week ago and watched it last weekend.  Granted, I did not sit in rapt attention the whole time, but I thought it was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time (although it wasn't so bad that I turned it off).

Granted, I've never re-watched it front-to-back since it was released - I'm sure I'd sprain my eye-sockets from all the  ::) if I did.  But, as a cheap-seat Tuesday viewing in the theatre, I found it a worthwhile $6 investment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion