Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554502 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7840 on: February 14, 2021, 03:14:10 PM »
I just watched the 2018 remake of the Dario Argento film Suspiria

Holy shit, what a movie
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:34:54 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7841 on: February 15, 2021, 03:03:29 PM »
Trainwreck with Amy Schumer.    I REALLY do not like Amy Schumer, but there were just too many moments in that movie where I couldn't help but laugh. 

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #7842 on: February 15, 2021, 03:05:45 PM »
I just watched the 2018 remake of the Dario Argento film Suspiria

Holy shit, what a movie

I prefer the original but the remake is still pretty great. Love the soundtrack by Thom Yorke (especially the song during THE scene). Did you know the old man was Tilda Swinton in make-up? Impressive make-up to say the least.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:24:49 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7843 on: February 15, 2021, 03:44:52 PM »

I prefer the original but the remake is still pretty great. Love the soundtrack by Thom Yorke (especially the song during THE scene). Did you know the old man was Tilda Swinton in make-up? Impressive make-up to say the least.

Indeed she did a great job as the old man and she was also the blob lady with the sunglasses, so that's 3 roles in one film. She's an impressive actress.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7844 on: February 16, 2021, 11:27:44 AM »
I record movies from HBO and watch them when I've got nothing else piquing my interest.

Last night I watched the first half or so of Pearl Harbor.  Kate Beckinsale...holy hell!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #7845 on: February 16, 2021, 04:01:45 PM »
1917. I was so spellbound by the WAY it was filmed, I had to stop and re-watch the first 15 minutes.

:heart the extended takes. This movie was two long takes? So no spoilers, I'll say the several second "darkness" was a time to do a new take? Not sure....it could be more but if so, amazing how they made it seamless. The Revenant was also great because of that concept (and the cinematography was amazing as well). I think Birdman was ONE long take?

To me, that is BRILLIANT filmmaking. Granted, the story and the acting still needs to be good, but just that format alone will draw me in. I find it so refreshing to the frenetic pace of ostensibly "how many cuts and viewing angles can we possibly shoehorn into ONE movie?".....which is what so many esp. action movies seemingly have been relegated to these days.  :tdwn

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7846 on: February 21, 2021, 05:55:41 AM »
1917. I was so spellbound by the WAY it was filmed, I had to stop and re-watch the first 15 minutes.

:heart the extended takes. This movie was two long takes? So no spoilers, I'll say the several second "darkness" was a time to do a new take? Not sure....it could be more but if so, amazing how they made it seamless. The Revenant was also great because of that concept (and the cinematography was amazing as well). I think Birdman was ONE long take?

To me, that is BRILLIANT filmmaking. Granted, the story and the acting still needs to be good, but just that format alone will draw me in. I find it so refreshing to the frenetic pace of ostensibly "how many cuts and viewing angles can we possibly shoehorn into ONE movie?".....which is what so many esp. action movies seemingly have been relegated to these days.  :tdwn
There were more than two takes in 1917. They just did a clever job of hiding them. But, yeah, it was pretty awesome the way they did it.

Trainwreck with Amy Schumer.    I REALLY do not like Amy Schumer, but there were just too many moments in that movie where I couldn't help but laugh. 
I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't care for Amy Schumer. I don't find her very funny at all.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7847 on: February 21, 2021, 07:50:38 AM »

There were more than two takes in 1917. They just did a clever job of hiding them. But, yeah, it was pretty awesome the way they did it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't care for Amy Schumer. I don't find her very funny at all.

Wait, there are people that actually like her??

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7848 on: February 21, 2021, 08:01:41 AM »

Wait, there are people that actually like her??

Apparently; she keeps being put in movies.  She has a show on Food Network with her and her (chef) husband.  I find the commercials to be excruciating; I can only imagine what the show is like.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7849 on: February 21, 2021, 08:43:55 AM »
Zoom: Academy for Superheroes

Back in 2006, when Tim Allen was still pretty popular due to being Buzz Lightyear and Santa in The Santa Clause movies, this movie came out and I kinda wanted to see it.  I like stories that expore washed-up or hasbeen superheroes, or just stories with superheroes trying to live a normal life despite being abnormal people.  This was on TV while my wife was working, and I caught it right near the beginning, so I watched it.

It was kinda bad.  Story was predictable and full of clichés, although there was an occassional twist to keep things interesting.  Rip Torn and Chevy Chase as bad guys, but also Courteney Cox when she was still super hot, and... hey, is that Kate Mara?  I had to pause and look it up.  Yep, that's Kate, and she's playing a teenager but she was 22 when she made this, so it's okay to look.  Heck, Shooter came out the next year.  Form-fitting space suit, cheerleader outfit, who's the target audience here?  So anyway, Courteney and Kate helped make the movie more tolerable.  I probably would've watched it anyway, but they helped by actually giving me something to watch.

2 Eggo waffles out of 5.  Probably would not watch again, unless Kate was on screen at the moment.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7850 on: February 21, 2021, 02:11:36 PM »
Is ti just me that doesn't really care about one-shot movies ?

It's just a gimmick really and nothing would be lost with a cut here and there ( I know there are hidden cuts in one-shot movies ).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7851 on: February 22, 2021, 10:43:40 AM »

It's just a gimmick really and nothing would be lost with a cut here and there ( I know there are hidden cuts in one-shot movies ).

What is a "one-shot movie"?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7852 on: February 22, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »

I assume he means movies where it looks like all or most of it is one long continuous take or shot, even though in reality there's likely many invisible cuts.

I think they CAN be gimmick or they can be amazing. It depends if it serves a purpose or not. I think in 1917 is really served to heighten to tension and place us in the situation of those soldiers. And even though I loved Birdman, that seemed a bit more like a technical exercise to shoot it all as one long take, though it may have served a bigger purpose than I noticed.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7853 on: February 22, 2021, 11:02:37 AM »

I assume he means movies where it looks like all or most of it is one long continuous take or shot, even though in reality there's likely many invisible cuts.

I think they CAN be gimmick or they can be amazing. It depends if it serves a purpose or not. I think in 1917 is really served to heighten to tension and place us in the situation of those soldiers. And even though I loved Birdman, that seemed a bit more like a technical exercise to shoot it all as one long take, though it may have served a bigger purpose than I noticed.

I've never seen a movie that fits that description, but my guess is that I'd either find it annoying or wouldn't care about it.  Kinda like being able to burp the entire alphabet.  Kinda cool that you can do it, but does it make your burp any less stinky?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7854 on: February 22, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »

I've never seen a movie that fits that description, but my guess is that I'd either find it annoying or wouldn't care about it.  Kinda like being able to burp the entire alphabet.  Kinda cool that you can do it, but does it make your burp any less stinky?

I'm sure there's more, but the two that are most popular are 1917 and Birdman. Both amazing movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7855 on: February 22, 2021, 12:34:07 PM »
My favorite one-shot scene was from the first season of True Detective.  It really was one shot, not multiple shots spliced together.  And it was awesome.

I think that the first season of Daredevil had a really good one, as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7856 on: February 22, 2021, 12:48:47 PM »
Some long scenes can be very cool - see the plane scene in Knowing, with Nicholas Cage - but an ENTIRE MOVIE shot to give the illusion of the one continuous shot it's just like the most self indulgent prog metal, they do it just because they can  :D

Mainly because it takes away from the experience - if in the middle of a normal movie there's, say, a 10 minutes "uninterrupted" scene, you start to realize it midway through and be amazed by it. If the entire movie is done like that, it becames a game of "spot the cut".

Having said that, 1917 is a wonderful movie and it would have been just as amazing without the one-shot approach. Birdman was okayish, and the one-shot approach literally didn't change the movie neither for the better or for the worse, you can reshoot it the normal way, and it's the exact same movie.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7857 on: February 22, 2021, 01:12:02 PM »
Didn't overly like 1917 - the whole thing felt like watching a cutscene from a shooter game, by the end I was really bored with it.

I'm not a huge fan of the one shot scene, the best for me is the 10 minute 'date night' scene in Goodfellas - that looks amazing and last just long enough to be super impressive without becoming tedious.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:17:05 PM by soupytwist »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7858 on: February 22, 2021, 06:31:45 PM »
My favorite one-shot scene was from the first season of True Detective.  It really was one shot, not multiple shots spliced together.  And it was awesome.

We just happened to have HBO free for a few months because my wife signed up for something, and I caught that first season of True Detective when it aired.  It was fucking great!  I watched every episode at least twice, sometimes more (which was often but not always related to how much Alexandra was in it).  I'd heard about the "one-er" and when that sequence started, I thought "Okay, here we go" and it was amazing.  Watched it a few times, just cause it was so awesome.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #7859 on: February 22, 2021, 06:36:37 PM »
Dat scene with Alexandra though... My jaw fell to the floor.

But yeah that one shot scene was amazing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7860 on: February 23, 2021, 07:01:49 AM »

We just happened to have HBO free for a few months because my wife signed up for something, and I caught that first season of True Detective when it aired.  It was fucking great!  I watched every episode at least twice, sometimes more (which was often but not always related to how much Alexandra was in it).  I'd heard about the "one-er" and when that sequence started, I thought "Okay, here we go" and it was amazing.  Watched it a few times, just cause it was so awesome.

I won't watch a show for a one-shot scene, but I would watch a show for Alexandra Daddario.   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7861 on: February 23, 2021, 07:20:01 AM »
Then you should watch True Detective Season One.  You will see Alexandra Daddario.  All of her.  In great detail.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7862 on: February 23, 2021, 07:36:11 AM »

I won't watch a show for a one-shot scene, but I would watch a show for Alexandra Daddario.   
You should watch THAT show regardless of Alexandra Daddario, but she was definitely an extra added bonus.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7863 on: February 23, 2021, 02:20:13 PM »
E R. Hef, you spelled that word wrong. It ends with an e and an r
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7864 on: February 23, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »

I just assumed bonus was the plural.   :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7865 on: February 24, 2021, 08:15:54 AM »
:clap:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7866 on: February 24, 2021, 08:48:58 AM »
Godzilla, King of the Monsters (2019)

I grew up watching the old black-and-white Godzilla movies.  The local TV station showed one every Saturday afternoon, and my friends and I would get together just to watch them.  Godzilla, Son of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Gamara, even King Kong vs Godzilla and Godzilla vs the Smog Monster.  Good times.

So anyway, I saw most of the Matthew Broderick Godzilla movie from '98 and thought it sucked, and I guess I vaguely knew that they'd done another in 2014 but I never saw that.  And this one is apparently a sequel to the 2014 movie, but I didn't know that going in.  I knew basically nothing about this movie going in, except that it was on HBO so I recorded it to watch while my wife worked and I ate some gummies.

It was perfect!  Realistic?  Hell no!  Did people act rationally and intelligently?  Hell no!  Did we spend more time on people and their completely irrelevant personal stories than we did watching the monsters fight?  Of course!  That's what made it perfect.  It captured the tone of the old black-and-white monster movies from the 50's and 60's, but updated to glorious widescreen color with amazing special effects.  Lots of fun editing cuts between the monsters fighting and the people supposedly standing 50 feet away watching them with frightened expressions on their faces.  I mean, two 300-foot-tall monsters are fighting, entire city blocks are being wrecked, and these people are standing there watching (with frightened expressions on their faces).  So cheesy, so bad, so perfect.

Also, lots of great callbacks to original lore.  Godzilla is the Anglo-nickname; his true name is Gojira.  Ken Watanabe, the Japanese guy who plays The Japanese Guy, explained that to us.  The explanation for why all these huge creatures are here on Earth was new, but that was one of the very few updates.  At some point, they found a giant caterpillar or something, and I said "That's going to grow up and be Mothra" and of course it did.  So later when a pteranodon showed up, of course it was Rodan.  Then I thought "Wait, it's like they're getting the band back together to fight Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster" and they were!  He was referred to as Monster Zero (an alt ID from at least one of the movies) but eventually The Japanese Guy gave us his true name, Ghidorah.

They actually took a lot of trouble to get backstories right.  They changed some details, but were always sure to include the important ones, to let us know that they'd done their homework.  This is not Oscar-level cinema.  This is good old-fashioned Saturday afternoon brainless fun.  And it was great.

Five atomic bombs out of five.  Would watch again.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 09:01:03 AM by Orbert »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7867 on: February 24, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »
Godzilla, King of the Monsters (2019)

I grew up watching the old black-and-white Godzilla movies.  The local TV station showed one every Saturday afternoon, and my friends and I would get together just to watch them.  Godzilla, Son of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Gamara, even King Kong vs Godzilla and Godzilla vs the Smog Monster.  Good times.

So anyway, I saw most of the Matthew Broderick Godzilla movie from '98 and thought it sucked, and I guess I vaguely knew that they'd done another in 2014 but I never saw that.  And this one is apparently a sequel to the 2014 movie, but I didn't know that going in.  I knew basically nothing about this movie going in, except that it was on HBO so I recorded it to watch while my wife worked and I ate some gummies.

It was perfect!  Realistic?  Hell no!  Did people act rationally and intelligently?  Hell no!  Did we spend more time on people and their completely irrelevant personal stories than we did watching the monsters fight?  Of course!  That's what made it perfect.  It captured the tone of the old black-and-white monster movies from the 50's and 60's, but updated to glorious widescreen color with amazing special effects.  Lots of fun editing cuts between the monsters fighting and the people supposedly standing 50 feet away watching them with frightened expressions on their faces.  I mean, two 300-foot-tall monsters are fighting, entire city blocks are being wrecked, and these people are standing there watching (with frightened expressions on their faces).  So cheesy, so bad, so perfect.

Also, lots of great callbacks to original lore.  Godzilla is the Anglo-nickname; his true name is Gojira.  Ken Watanabe, the Japanese guy who plays The Japanese Guy, explained that to us.  The explanation for why all these huge creatures are here on Earth was new, but that was one of the very few updates.  At some point, they found a giant caterpillar or something, and I said "That's going to grow up and be Mothra" and of course it did.  So later when a pteranodon showed up, of course it was Rodan.  Then I thought "Wait, it's like they're getting the band back together to fight Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster" and they were!  He was referred to as Monster Zero (an alt ID from at least one of the movies) but eventually The Japanese Guy gave us his true name, Ghidorah.

They actually took a lot of trouble to get backstories right.  They changed some details, but were always sure to include the important ones, to let us know that they'd done their homework.  This is not Oscar-level cinema.  This is good old-fashioned Saturday afternoon brainless fun.  And it was great.

Five atomic bombs out of five.  Would watch again.
The follow up, Kong vs. Godzilla, hits next month.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7868 on: February 24, 2021, 11:04:31 AM »
I'm going to have to dig up the 2014 Godzilla, which I guess is the first in this reboot series, probably rewatch King of the Monsters, then Kong vs Godzilla.  Or maybe I'll just jump on the new one when it drops.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7869 on: February 24, 2021, 02:26:02 PM »
I'm going to have to dig up the 2014 Godzilla, which I guess is the first in this reboot series, probably rewatch King of the Monsters, then Kong vs Godzilla.  Or maybe I'll just jump on the new one when it drops.
The theatrical release order of the new series is:

1. Godzilla (2014)
2. Kong: Skull Island (2017) (Although this one is chronologically first)
3. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) (which you've seen)
4. Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonsterVerse

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7870 on: February 24, 2021, 04:19:06 PM »

1. Godzilla (2014)

Hef, wasn't The Mummy part of the Monster series?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7871 on: February 24, 2021, 04:25:17 PM »

1. Godzilla (2014)

Hef, wasn't The Mummy part of the Monster series?

That was part of the short lived 'Dark Universe' along with Dracula Untold - basically a shared updated classic horror monster universe that fell apart quickly as both these movies flopped quite hard.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7872 on: February 24, 2021, 04:36:56 PM »
I remember them setting up For Dr. Jekyll with Russell Crowe.  I liked the Tom Cruise Mummy movie. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7873 on: February 24, 2021, 07:46:13 PM »
I think I remember something about a whole shared universe with The Mummy and Dracula, but I didn't realize that this was part of it, or at least was supposed to be part of it before "it" fell apart.

Kong: Skull Island (2017) is another one I'd heard of but never saw, and didn't realize was in the same universe, either.  So Kong from Skull Island and Godzilla aka King of the Monsters are who meet in Godzilla vs. Kong (2021).  Cool.

I checked and our HBO/Max on the Roku doesn't have Godzilla (2014).  I gotta check for Kong: Skull Island.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7874 on: February 24, 2021, 07:47:14 PM »
I've never seen a Godzilla film.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'