Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563241 times)

Offline ozzy554

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7770 on: January 12, 2021, 03:58:02 PM »
Mandy (2018) A violent arthouse fever dream starring Nicolas Cage. Fantastic visuals and a great cast. A bit slow paced but it's all build up for the last half hour.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7771 on: January 12, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
I don't know how many of you saw heavyweights back in the 90's but man does it hold up.  :lol

Love this movie

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7772 on: January 12, 2021, 06:00:15 PM »
Mandy (2018) A violent arthouse fever dream starring Nicolas Cage. Fantastic visuals and a great cast. A bit slow paced but it's all build up for the last half hour.

Does not compute.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #7773 on: January 12, 2021, 06:11:58 PM »
Nicolas Cage is awesome. And so is Mandy. I knew as soon as the movie opened with King Crimson’s Starless that it would be awesome.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7774 on: January 12, 2021, 10:38:01 PM »

Saw this in theaters. Great film, kicks all kinds of ass.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7775 on: January 13, 2021, 08:49:18 AM »
I really have to watch that one, looks insane.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7776 on: January 18, 2021, 06:54:33 AM »
Deadly Games AKA Dial code Santa (1989) - A fun horror/thriller from France that was pretty unknown until recently due to not getting a US release. It's about a boy that has to defend himself and his Grandfather from a killer Santa. The use of homemade traps gives off some Home Alone vibes even though this one was made about a year earlier. The director has even suggested that John Hughes may have taken some elements from this movie for Home Alone. It was screened at the Cannes film festival while looking for US distribution so he very well may have seen it.

Con Air (1997) - I'm mad at myself for not seeing this movie until now. It's fun from beginning to end with a fun cast. Malkovich and Buscemi steal every scene they're in.

Christmas Evil (1980) - I may have found my new favorite Christmas horror film. Another great movie that pretty much got ignored for decades due to misleading advertisements and a botched release.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7777 on: January 18, 2021, 10:58:04 AM »
Seeing as you're a big Theron fan, if you haven't already check out Atomic Blonde, she plays a kickass spy in it with some serious kicking ass skills. The stunts are fantastic in that movie. I actually love the story set in the 80s. Also, she's butt naked and makes out while butt naked. The last part is probably the most important part.

Little late to this, but I concur with everything here.  There's an amazing one-shot sequence in there too.  I need to re-watch this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7778 on: January 19, 2021, 07:24:20 PM »
L.A. Confidential.  Every time I see it, I think, "I can't think of any film better than this."  It is that good. The story, the acting, the cinematography, the directing, everything is just perfect.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7779 on: January 19, 2021, 08:23:07 PM »
Yup love L.A. Confidential, glad to have seen it in the theater when it came out. Fantastic movie start to finish and great ensemble cast.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7780 on: January 19, 2021, 09:11:30 PM »
LA Confidential comes about as close to perfect as possible. And it's not like they got together in a room and said "hey, let's make a truly legendary, timeless, classic film, agreed?" They just tried to make the best movie they could, and sometimes all that work and talent comes together, and you get a result such as this. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7781 on: January 19, 2021, 10:46:36 PM »
Watched Selma last night with the kids.  Overall, it was great.  As a movie, there were a few scenes that weren't very well done.  Not major problems, but there were some very intricate details of MLK's life or other relevant events that were thrown in with no setup or explanation, and if you didn't know the intricate details (and most people, myself included, don't), were kinda confusing.  But still, great film overall.  And a very good one to watch with teens to have some good discussion and really make the Civil Rights movement, which wasn't that long ago, feel more real and relevant.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7782 on: January 20, 2021, 06:26:01 AM »
L.A. Confidential.  Every time I see it, I think, "I can't think of any film better than this."  It is that good. The story, the acting, the cinematography, the directing, everything is just perfect.

The book is phenomenal; I have to go back and watch the movie (though I remember liking it).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7783 on: January 20, 2021, 06:56:51 AM »
LA Confidential comes about as close to perfect as possible. And it's not like they got together in a room and said "hey, let's make a truly legendary, timeless, classic film, agreed?" They just tried to make the best movie they could, and sometimes all that work and talent comes together, and you get a result such as this.

It's no Jack And Jill.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7784 on: January 20, 2021, 07:24:58 AM »

My #1 movie of all time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7785 on: January 20, 2021, 07:36:02 AM »
Boiled Angels: The Trial of Mike Diana (2018) - A Documentary by Basket Case director Frank Henenlotter about the only artist convicted of obscenity in the united states. Really interesting story that I'm surprised isn't more well known. Also has some great interviews with the people involved with the case along with people from the comics industry.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7786 on: January 20, 2021, 05:33:39 PM »
Yup love L.A. Confidential, glad to have seen it in the theater when it came out. Fantastic movie start to finish and great ensemble cast.

Hey, me too!  My brother and I were bummed big time when one of the major characters was killed about 2/3 of the way through the film (I won't say who, for those who may not have seen it and still plan to), but it still remained awesome till the end.

And that death scene I alluded to is one of the best I have ever seen in a film. The way he relaxes his face muscles and goes still was world class acting.  Too bad about, well, yeah.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7787 on: January 20, 2021, 11:41:21 PM »
Con Air (1997) - I'm mad at myself for not seeing this movie until now. It's fun from beginning to end with a fun cast. Malkovich and Buscemi steal every scene they're in.

It's like John Malkovich was born to read some of those absurd lines. I cannot imagine half his dialogue in the hands (mouth?) of any other actor.

My brother and I were bummed big time when one of the major characters was killed about 2/3 of the way through the film (I won't say who, for those who may not have seen it and still plan to), but it still remained awesome till the end.

That death definitely caught me off-guard. Brilliantly played by the victim, murderer, and director for that matter. And if you haven't seen it yet, I doubt you'd have any plans to, or you'd have done it by now, so I don't know why we should be concerned about spoiling it for you  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7788 on: January 22, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »

My brother and I were bummed big time when one of the major characters was killed about 2/3 of the way through the film (I won't say who, for those who may not have seen it and still plan to), but it still remained awesome till the end.

That death definitely caught me off-guard. Brilliantly played by the victim, murderer, and director for that matter. And if you haven't seen it yet, I doubt you'd have any plans to, or you'd have done it by now, so I don't know why we should be concerned about spoiling it for you  :)

Haha, very true.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7789 on: January 22, 2021, 04:46:55 PM »
The Wolf House (2018) - 70 Minutes of surreal stop motion animation. Couldn't tell you what it was about but I couldn't look away.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7790 on: January 28, 2021, 01:12:30 PM »
The Gentleman

Loved it!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7791 on: January 30, 2021, 06:37:49 PM »
Finally saw Jojo Rabbit.  That was really good.  After trying to figure out the "tone" of the film for the first 20 minutes or so, I finally realized that it was gonna mix things up and keep challenging you to keep up, so just go with the flow.  Overall the film had a lot to say but didn't come right out and say it; pieces were presented, sometimes brutally honestly, and left it to the viewer to put together.  Wow.  But along the way, it was sometimes funny, sometimes not so funny, and sometimes really funny.  Beautifully balanced.

Five rabbits out of five.  Will watch again.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7792 on: January 31, 2021, 02:49:12 AM »
Finally saw Jojo Rabbit.  That was really good.  After trying to figure out the "tone" of the film for the first 20 minutes or so, I finally realized that it was gonna mix things up and keep challenging you to keep up, so just go with the flow.  Overall the film had a lot to say but didn't come right out and say it; pieces were presented, sometimes brutally honestly, and left it to the viewer to put together.  Wow.  But along the way, it was sometimes funny, sometimes not so funny, and sometimes really funny.  Beautifully balanced.

Kinda like Oscar winning La Vita è Bella (Life is Beautiful) by Roberto Benigni.

Jojo Rabbit is absolutely fantastic and it's a lovely and surprising movie. The shoes scene....... who could have imagined it given the tone of the early part of the movie  :-[
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7793 on: January 31, 2021, 07:31:23 AM »
Finally saw The Fisher King, which had been on my list of "movies I need to see" for many years.  Good film.  Not what was I expecting, but I enjoyed it. Robin Williams was such a great on-screen presence.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #7794 on: February 01, 2021, 09:43:05 PM »
Promising Young Woman (2020):

Probably the best movie of 2020 I’ve watched (I’ve watched about 50). Really good.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #7795 on: February 02, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »
The Gentleman

Loved it!
Just saw it the other night! Excellent!

Good too because it followed the new stinker with Denzel, Jeto and Rami on HBO Max. The Simple Things (I think that was the name of it?)
Total bomb of a movie.  :tdwn
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7796 on: February 02, 2021, 12:30:41 PM »
I got a weird and sudden interest in Rio de Janeiro (weird because it's one of the most famous and recognizable towns of the world, it's like getting a fixation with New York... what, you didn't know before the Brooklyn Bridge and the Empire State Building?  :D), and so I went and watched City of God again.

For those who don't know, City of God takes its name from a favela and it's basically Goodfellas in the favelas, a coming of age story in a sense, where we follow the protagonist first as a kid then as a teen as life changes in the favela and becomes more and more dangerous and violent. The movie is gritty, full of violence, murders and blood amist the fights for power of warring drug dealers, and many actors are from the actual favelas. A very raw and cruel movie, but a very captivating story. Highly recommended for anyone with a remote interest for Rio, for gangster movies and also great cinematography, because there are many amazing shots and visual choices from the director.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7797 on: February 02, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »
The Rock (1996) - It's a shame that Cage was only an action star for like a year and a half. His action "trilogy" are all fun sits. This one also makes me wish that we got one old man bond film with Connery as even in his 60's here he still carried himself quite well.

Beyond the Door (1974) - For a supposed infamous Exorcist rip off there wasn't really a whole lot of ripping off going on here. Maybe it's because the genre has been watered down with so many Exorcist clones over the decades but for the most part this feels like it's own thing. Sure there are a few parts obviously copied like the possessed characters head turning around and weird green vomit but that's really about it. There's not even an exorcist or any kind of priest at all present in the film. Also when it comes to bad Italian horror it's either highly entertaining or pretty boring. Sadly this one is more on the boring side. It promises a lot of crazy but doesn't quite deliver and is rather slow moving for most of it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7798 on: February 02, 2021, 03:56:34 PM »
The Rock (1996)
Legit one of my all-time favorite films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7799 on: February 02, 2021, 05:30:56 PM »
Yeah, The Rock, by action film standards, is awesome.  One of my favorites of the 90's along with True Lies.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7800 on: February 02, 2021, 06:55:26 PM »
The Rock has some great attributes. Nicolas Cage is not one of them.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7801 on: February 02, 2021, 07:54:09 PM »

Nicolas Cage is a national treasure. Pun very much intended
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7802 on: February 02, 2021, 09:34:48 PM »

What??  I get that Cage has more phoned-in performances than Mike Portnoy has live albums, but he was really good in The Rock, by action movie standards of course.  Not like he was gonna win as Oscar for it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7803 on: February 03, 2021, 07:26:38 AM »

What??  I get that Cage has more phoned-in performances than Mike Portnoy has live albums, but he was really good in The Rock, by action movie standards of course.  Not like he was gonna win as Oscar for it.

Agreed. Good chemistry with Connery.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7804 on: February 03, 2021, 07:27:53 AM »
The Rock (1996)
Legit one of my all-time favorite films.

Legit one of the top 5 movie "one"-liners of all time.  You all know what I'm talking about.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion