Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554255 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7280 on: July 27, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »
Last week, we were on a "staycation", so as part of our activities, we rewatched the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, and started a rewatch of the MCU films.  We made it to Guardians of the Galaxy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7281 on: July 27, 2020, 02:57:38 PM »
Last night I rewatched The Perfect Storm. Decent film with nice effects but it makes being a fisherman look like the most miserable job you can get :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7282 on: July 27, 2020, 04:31:13 PM »
I watched Pacific Heights yesterday.  It's a 1990 movie (Wikipedia calls it a "psychological thriller," and Roger Ebert apparently called it "a horror film for yuppies") in which Matthew Modine's and Melanie Griffith's characters (unmarried couple) buy a house ostensibly in the titular neighborhood in San Francisco.  They fix up the place and rent the two first floor apartments so that they can afford the mortgage.  Michael Keaton's character is a scam artist who takes possession of one of the apartments by trespassing, which the owners tolerate because they think a huge advance rent payment is coming by wire transfer.  Most of the middle part of the movie shows the landlords making every mistake in the book and their lives and relationship going to hell.  They eventually get him out and seek revenge.

Keaton is great.  Modine and Griffith are ok.  I remember liking the movie a lot at the time, but watching Modine's and Griffith's characters (primarily the former) act like morons was tough.  I took paralegal classes in the early 1990s before going to law school, and the teacher of the real property class used this movie as the basis of our final exam).  With a better script, this could have been a really great movie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7283 on: July 27, 2020, 06:45:41 PM »
Michael Keaton is great.

Please don't turn out to be a secret scumbag.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #7284 on: July 27, 2020, 07:42:46 PM »
The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4364194/reference:

Loved it. Really funny and heartwarming. 8/10

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7285 on: July 28, 2020, 04:14:19 AM »
The Green Mile

I love it anytime an absolute scumbag in a movie gets his comeuppance.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7286 on: July 29, 2020, 06:58:38 AM »
6 Underground on Netflix. A Michael Bay action movie about a billionaire and his personal group is soldiers trying to stop the worlds worst people. I didn't have high expectations and it was entertaining enough. Honestly, it felt like the first half of the movie was pretty unnecessary. There was no need to set up back stories for otherwise one dimensional characters. The final mission was really all that mattered and it delivered enough action to serve it's purpose.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:25:34 AM by lordxizor »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7287 on: July 29, 2020, 07:40:34 AM »
American Psycho.

I've seen this movie before - a couple times - and it's fascinating that I seem to have a different conclusion each time.   Is he killer? Is this all in his fantasies?  Something of both?  It's an interesting movie; you can basically take segments of the movie and fit them to almost any explanation.

Plus, Christian Bale is wonderful.   

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7288 on: July 29, 2020, 08:01:11 AM »
I believe that the confusion is deliberate; I remember reading about the investigator and the actor said that he was told to play it a bit differently with each take, so he would act like he knew that Christian Bale was guilty, then like he assumed he might be innocent etc... so that the combined takes would underline this doubt.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7289 on: July 29, 2020, 08:36:22 AM »
American Psycho.

I've seen this movie before - a couple times - and it's fascinating that I seem to have a different conclusion each time.   Is he killer? Is this all in his fantasies?  Something of both?  It's an interesting movie; you can basically take segments of the movie and fit them to almost any explanation.

It's been a while since I've seen this movie but I remember having the same thoughts everytime I watched it. Me and my friends would discuss it and we'd have opposite conclusions at every rewatch. I can't remember if the book is supposed to be more definitive and let the movie be ambigiuos.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7290 on: July 29, 2020, 08:53:42 AM »
I believe that the confusion is deliberate; I remember reading about the investigator and the actor said that he was told to play it a bit differently with each take, so he would act like he knew that Christian Bale was guilty, then like he assumed he might be innocent etc... so that the combined takes would underline this doubt.

Yes; Willem DaFoe played each of the three or four scenes with Bale three ways, and the director took pieces of each.  Especially the dinner scene, the juxtaposition is pretty unnerving. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7291 on: July 29, 2020, 08:57:46 AM »
American Psycho.

It's been a while since I've seen this movie but I remember having the same thoughts everytime I watched it. Me and my friends would discuss it and we'd have opposite conclusions at every rewatch. I can't remember if the book is supposed to be more definitive and let the movie be ambigiuos.

I read it long ago, but I think I'm due for a re-read.  Pleasant family reading (from what I remember, the novel is FAR more graphic than the movie).    I was always on the impression that the novel was less about Bateman and more about the context of where and how he lived.   I know the movie touched on that (NO ONE is shown actually doing any work of any kind, the characters repeatedly mistake each other for other people, and every business card shown had a purposeful typo - "aquisitions" - all to make the point that it wasn't about the job it was about the people and their shallowness, or, if you want to take it a step further, their sociopathy.)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7292 on: July 29, 2020, 07:08:13 PM »
" The Ballad of Buster Scruggs "

Well it killed two hours. It was alright. I was less interested with each segment and by the time " The Girl that Got Rattled " came around I was not paying much attention.

I love The Coen's style but most of their films don't make sense the first time through and need repeat viewings.

I recently watched Burn After Reading and didn't get the plot all at once. Also re-watched Big Lebowski and it's probably my 2nd fave Coen Bros film after Fargo.

I find their wacky comedies are their weaker films and are just fluff - but I really enjoyed The Hudsucker Proxy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7293 on: July 29, 2020, 07:29:27 PM »
I agree.  The 1st story was amazing but it failed off with each story after that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7294 on: July 29, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
The Green Mile

Great movie. Probably my favorite Hanks performance.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7295 on: July 30, 2020, 08:33:38 AM »
Rosemary's Baby.     I saw parts of it once before, but in total, watched all at once, it's a fascinating and disturbing movie.  And the analysis is more complicated because Polanski stayed faithful to the book to an almost unprecedented degree.   So story-wise, dialogue-wise, if there are critiques, they should be pointed to Ira Levin as well. 

It was a mixed bag for me.  The direction was stylistic, and well done, and in that sense it was fun to watch, though there were some really annoying tics in there (the shoes; there were a lot of "footsteps" and I'm not sure what that was all about). 

The acting was all over the map for me.   John Cassavetes was a distraction, though if the point was to be a creepy lech, job well done.   I'm not a Mia Farrow fan, so wasn't thrilled with her (though I can see why someone would like her performance).   Sidebar: I agreed with Cassavetes when he said her haircut looked terrible.  :)   

At least in my group - wife, daughter, two dogs - no one else thought this interesting, but in the early scene in the basement, with "Terry", who was also a recruit of the neighbors, Farrow says "You look like the actress Victoria Vetri!"   Terri responded to the effect of "I get that all the time, but no".   Fun Fact:   "Terry" was played by an actress billed as "Angela Dorian".  "Angela Dorian"'s real name - a name she also used professionally - is Victoria Vetri.   More fun facts:  She was a Playboy model and as a joke, they slipped her picture into one of the manuals on the Apollo 12 spacecraft.   Not so fun: she was a close friend of Sharon Tate (the then-girlfriend of director, Roman Polanski, and victim of Charles Manson's murder spree) and was invited to the party at which Tate was killed.  She begged off at the last minute, thereby saving her life.  About ten years ago, she was accused of shooting her husband at point blank range in their house and served almost ten years for manslaughter.   I don't know why I find all that fascinating, but that seems like a fairly action-packed life, if you ask me.   

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7296 on: July 31, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »
The original Ocean’s Eleven, 1960. The Rat Pack and a bunch of other stars. Confess I’ve never actually seen any of the remakes all the way through, but I enjoyed the original.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7297 on: July 31, 2020, 09:45:53 PM »
Persepolis. Damn didn't know this was so depressing. Beautifully animated a directed. Definitely didn't know all the stuff that went down in Iran, damn.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7298 on: August 01, 2020, 01:36:59 PM »
I watched Bradley Cooper in LIMITLESS

It was ok. It killed 90 mins. But he was too unlikeable to "win".

I preferred Luc Besson's LUCY. It was stupid and ridiculous - but it was so much fun.

My fave thing about "Lucy" - was - it didn't do that tired trope where - she has the powers. Oops now she doesn't someone else does and she has to get em back.

Nope. She literally has them for the whole film and is unbeatable and just keeps getting more invincible :lol Loved it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7299 on: August 02, 2020, 06:06:42 PM »
Synecdoche - a film by Charlie Kaufman who also wrote Adaptation, being john Malkovich and Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

I'm too dense to fully understand everything going down, but I'm fascinated by it none the less.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7300 on: August 02, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »
I remembera watching Synecdoche a long time ago. Very odd movie and like you couldn't really make heads or tails of it but was extremely fascinated as well. I remember the house burning scene was so surreal
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7301 on: August 02, 2020, 08:46:03 PM »
Terrifier (2016) - A fun slasher flick elevated by the villain Art the Clown. The actor playing him had actual mime experience and incorporated it into the part and he's just so fun and sometimes legitimately creepy to watch.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #7302 on: August 02, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »
Terrifier (2016) - A fun slasher flick elevated by the villain Art the Clown. The actor playing him had actual mime experience and incorporated it into the part and he's just so fun and sometimes legitimately creepy to watch.

Love this. The gore is pretty awesome. There’s a sequel coming out soon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7303 on: August 03, 2020, 07:10:28 AM »
I watched Bradley Cooper in LIMITLESS

It was ok. It killed 90 mins. But he was too unlikeable to "win".

I preferred Luc Besson's LUCY. It was stupid and ridiculous - but it was so much fun.

My fave thing about "Lucy" - was - it didn't do that tired trope where - she has the powers. Oops now she doesn't someone else does and she has to get em back.

Nope. She literally has them for the whole film and is unbeatable and just keeps getting more invincible :lol Loved it.

Limitless, filmed in Philadelphia.   The scene where Brad gets the pill for the first time is a restaurant/bar right across the street (literally) to my first apartment in Philly, the scenes in the subway (the big white walled room) was the entrance to the subway that was on the next block from my LAST apartment in Philly, and the scenes at the election headquarters (I think that's what it was; at the end of the film) were filmed just across town.  My then-wife and I sat in our car for about a half hour one day eating hogies and we saw the top of DeNiro's head come out of the building and duck into an Escalade/Suburban. 

Cooper was dating Renee Zellweger at the time, and they used to frequent a pizza joint right down the street from that restaurant I mentioned and she would walk around with her dog; my ex looked a fair amount like Zellweger, and was stopped a couple times as a result (she hated that reference, though; I would have played with it, but she just got mad and took it as an insult). 

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7304 on: August 03, 2020, 06:07:08 PM »

Love this. The gore is pretty awesome. There’s a sequel coming out soon.

Not an unsurprising comment from the person with the Zombi 2 profile picture  :P

But yeah can't wait for the next one. I'm sure it will be fun at the very least and it's always nice to see Felissa Rose in something.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7305 on: August 03, 2020, 09:29:13 PM »
Michael Keaton is great.

Posted this in another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVvny-FxjA
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7306 on: August 04, 2020, 12:22:06 AM »
Michael Keaton is great.

Posted this in another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVvny-FxjA

Ha kinda ironic - when he says Thankyou very Much - he sounds like George Clooney.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7307 on: August 13, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »
Deliverance (1972)

Hadn't seen it since I was a kid. Hardly Oscar material but I liked it. There was a lot more going on than I remembered. There was also quite a bit of ambiguity. I'd always assumed that their tormentors were the same folk they initially came across. Particularly because of that creepy fuck with the bango (and damn, was he creepy). Most likely it was just random hillbillies. We never really found out what they were up to, other than being dicks. There's no telling if Ronnie Cox was actually shot or not. I kind of assumed he went over the side intentionally, unable to live with what had transpired, but we're just not sure. Because of that, we have no way of knowing if the guy Voight killed at the top of the cliff face was up to no good, or just out hunting. He might have been a decent guy willing to help them. By the time he raised his rifle he was already covered by the bow, though. And after all that had already happened, Voight was absolutely right to treat him as a deadly threat at the time. It's therefore entirely possible that, though no fault of their own, they were not really any better than the hillbillies, save for the two rapists. After all, the first ones they came across actually did deliver their cars, as promised, suggesting they were honorable folk.

There was also an uncomfortable realness to it all. Ronnie Cox's meltdown certainly contributed. Great actor. But more striking were the long, anguished deaths of the two hillbillies. Both of them took an uncomfortably long time to die, with lots of pained expressions and gurgling sounds. In the case of the rapist, when he finally went down he landed perched up against a tree branch, staring at the camera the whole time they discussed what to do with him. Then you've got Burt Renynolds's gruesome leg injury. I don't think I've ever seen a compound, complex leg fracture portrayed so graphically in a film before. And the totally mangled body of Ronnie Cox that they turn up downstream. A far cry from the typical blood and guts of that era simply because it was serious, rather than done for effect.

Something else that occurred to me is that it had a lot in common with 1998's Very Bad Things. It had absolutely none of the comedy of VBT, but in both cases you're watching guys trying to cover up murders, and struggling to do so as it gets tougher and tougher to account for all of the factors. Not to mention crises of conscience that tend to occur among decent people. And in both cases due to decisions and actions that weren't entirely unreasonable given what had come before. In this case they all hung together and it turned out alright, though, tortured souls not withstanding.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7308 on: August 13, 2020, 02:52:48 PM »
So...my wife decided that she wanted to watch Jurassic Park, and then she decided that we would watch another movie with an actor/actress common to the two movies, and then continue with that.  So far, we've done Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Men in Black and The Fugitive.  I think Air Force One will be next.  And yes, these are all movies we've seen many times because she typically falls asleep while we watch.

Anyway, a particular line from Jurassic Park stood out to me this time:  "I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it.  You read what others had done and you took the next step.  You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it.  You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could."

For whatever reason, it stood out to me how silly this statement is.  Isn't that what every scientist does?  They read about what others have done and then advance things.  No one goes out and does Ben Franklin's kite in a lightning storm experiment and then works his/her way forward in order to invent a better light bulb.  Am I missing something here?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7309 on: August 13, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »
How's the context in the movie? who says that to whom? maybe it was the writers' way to imply that the technology to clone dinosaurs from DNA was simply avalaible and so it was promptly used rather than stopping and thinking "Hey, is it really a smart move to bring bang giant killing machines from aeons ago?"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7310 on: August 13, 2020, 04:26:26 PM »
Went to a drive-in to see two of my favorites. The Toxic Avenger (1984), and Re-Animator (1985)

Though weirdly they played the 20 minute longer "integral" cut of Re-Animator with all the cut Subplots re added to the movie. No Idea how that happened.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7311 on: August 13, 2020, 04:37:24 PM »
How's the context in the movie? who says that to whom? maybe it was the writers' way to imply that the technology to clone dinosaurs from DNA was simply avalaible and so it was promptly used rather than stopping and thinking "Hey, is it really a smart move to bring bang giant killing machines from aeons ago?"

Sorry...I sort of assumed everyone would be familiar with this.  The premise of the movie is that some wealthy guy (John Hammond) has (with the backing of investors) hired geneticists to create dinosaurs using dinosaur DNA discovered in mosquitoes preserved in amber and intends to create a theme park/zoo on an island off the coast of Costa Rica.  In order to get the needed insurance, Hammond has convinced a couple of scientists to visit the park in the hope that they'll endorse it.  One of the scientists is a paleontologist, while another is a mathematician (or, as he calls himself, a "chaotician").  The mathematician is named Ian Malcolm and is played by Jeff Goldblum.  While it's never entirely explained in the movie why the endorsement of a mathematician would be of any value, Hammond assumed Malcolm would be the more likely person to be "on his side."  However, Malcolm is probably most concerned about the ramifications of what Hammond and his team have created, and the quoted line is part of Malcolm's statement to Hammond in this regard.

Malcolm separately says, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should," so it seems like he's making a different point with the bit that I first quoted.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7312 on: August 13, 2020, 06:36:34 PM »
Went to a drive-in to see two of my favorites. The Toxic Avenger (1984), and Re-Animator (1985)

Though weirdly they played the 20 minute longer "integral" cut of Re-Animator with all the cut Subplots re added to the movie. No Idea how that happened.

I like Re-Animator.  I think the concept is different and pretty cool, and of course Barbara Crampton is a nice bonus.  I know I saw some kind of Director's Cut or something with more Barbara goodies, but I don't know if that was the "integral" cut.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7313 on: August 13, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »

I like Re-Animator.  I think the concept is different and pretty cool, and of course Barbara Crampton is a nice bonus.  I know I saw some kind of Director's Cut or something with more Barbara goodies, but I don't know if that was the "integral" cut.

The movie was actually released unrated because they knew damn well that that was going to be an uphill battle with the MPAA. They did however make a watered down cut for home video because a lot of stores refused to sell unrated tapes. So there really is no directors cut, just the regular and the R.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7314 on: August 13, 2020, 08:04:17 PM »
That sounds about right.  I'd rented it (from Blockbuster, that's how long ago this was), but then later on cable one time I know I saw some scenes that weren't in the version I saw.  And it was confusing because I'd have thought that the cable TV version would be the watered-down one, and the home video version the more explicit one.