Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554288 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6930 on: May 16, 2020, 11:19:33 PM »
UP is and probably always will be my favorite Pixar movie.

I liked Wall-E except for the fact it was never fully/not often enough addressed how the robot was more or less modeled (or borrowed/ripped off) from Johnny 5 from Short Circuit.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6931 on: May 17, 2020, 06:02:36 AM »
Brick (2005)

Rian Johnson's debut and best movie. Fuck Knives Out.  :metal

My college roommate introduced me to this movie and I loved it. I haven't seen it in years . . . .

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6932 on: May 17, 2020, 06:12:52 PM »
What Lies Beneath (2000): 6/10

And rewatched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Fantastic movie and one of the best of the decade.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6933 on: May 18, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »
What Lies Beneath (2000): 6/10

That made a big splash locally because some of it was filmed only 15 miles from my house. Couldn’t get in there to check out Pfeiffer though.  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6934 on: May 18, 2020, 07:27:32 AM »
I remember seeing it at the cinema and I liked it quite a lot!

Also Three Billboards is absolutely fantastic.

As for myself, I've seen Once Upon a Time in America by Sergio Leone. I had to split it in two evenings, no way I will sit 4 hours straight for a movie.

It was interesting, mainly for historical reasons, I've loved the old New York sceneries. Plot was a bit weird but reading more about it online it made sense. I wouldn't really compare it to The Godfather, different styles and different stories, but it's a priceless insight into a master director with a master actor (DeNiro) and, as I said, riveting scenes of old New York.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6935 on: May 18, 2020, 08:39:10 AM »
I love Wall-E.  I think it might be my favorite Pixar movie.

Wall-E.   Cried like four times.  WTF.

I thought Wall-E sucked pretty hard.  It was like The Bee Movie -- a 90 minute heavy-handed public service announcement.

For my money, Pixar will have a very hard time topping The Incredibles.  My recently turned 18-yo kid, who grew up on Pixar movies, says Cars is his favorite.

The Incredibles sequel I thought was one of the best films - animated or NOT - that I have ever seen.  It moved me. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6936 on: May 18, 2020, 08:50:50 AM »
I guess I need to watch the Incredibles 2 again. I saw it in theaters and fell asleep for a bit of it. So it didn't really move me much. I remember being really intrigued with the villain at the beginning but then not thinking much of how it ended up. Though my falling asleep didn't help, so I'll check it out again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6937 on: May 18, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »
I watched both 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow over the weekend (interestingly, after having watched the Cinema Sins "Everything Wrong With" treatments of the two movies).

They're not good movies (and 2012 was WAY too long), but they're pretty fun to watch.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6938 on: May 18, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »
I watched both 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow over the weekend (interestingly, after having watched the Cinema Sins "Everything Wrong With" treatments of the two movies).

Why'd you watch an EWW for a movie you hadn't seen? Did that hamper your view of the film when you got around to seeing it?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6939 on: May 18, 2020, 11:12:14 AM »

Why'd you watch an EWW for a movie you hadn't seen? Did that hamper your view of the film when you got around to seeing it?

I had seen both movies before.  Those videos are hilarious, but I don't think they'd be enjoyable for something I hadn't already seen.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6940 on: May 18, 2020, 11:31:24 AM »
Re-watched both Once upon a Time in Hollywood and The Joker over the week-end.

Big fumble by the Academy.

Online Adami

« Reply #6941 on: May 18, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »
Re-watched both Once upon a Time in Hollywood and The Joker over the week-end.

Big fumble by the Academy.

For best picture? Nah. But both are great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6942 on: May 18, 2020, 11:39:10 AM »
Male Lead Actor.

Best picture, I'd call that worse than a fumble.

Online Adami

« Reply #6943 on: May 18, 2020, 11:59:04 AM »
Male Lead Actor.

Oh. You thought Leo should’ve gotten it over Joaquin?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6944 on: May 18, 2020, 12:11:15 PM »

I had seen both movies before.  Those videos are hilarious, but I don't think they'd be enjoyable for something I hadn't already seen.

That makes sense. For some reason I actually watched the Saw EWW having never seen the film. I ended up watching it later out of curiosity. Fortunately enough time passed so I didn't hear the narrator's voice and the counter chime in the head throughout.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6945 on: May 18, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »
Male Lead Actor.

Oh. You thought Leo should’ve gotten it over Joaquin?

Yeah. It's not on Phoenix though - he's actually fantastic and incredibly generous in that movie - but I found Leo's interpretation a whole lot more layered; It's completely a matter of material given and direction, but still.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6946 on: May 22, 2020, 07:01:53 AM »
Bullitt (1968) - Hell yeah, motherfucker.  Steve McQueen, the car chase, and all the cool you can handle.

The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot (2018) - Well, that was certainly something I'd never seen before.  Sam Elliott is great, and the idea they had with Hitler was interesting.  The rest of the story was, well, pretty wild.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6947 on: May 22, 2020, 08:41:28 AM »
Reservoir Dogs.  I watched it with my daughter - who is not really a Tarantino fan - and it was just as interesting to watch her reaction as the film itself.  There were moments she liked, and moments she didn't.   

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6948 on: May 22, 2020, 08:48:40 AM »
Reservoir Dogs.  I watched it with my daughter - who is not really a Tarantino fan - and it was just as interesting to watch her reaction as the film itself.  There were moments she liked, and moments she didn't.

She was stuck in the middle with you  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6949 on: May 22, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »
HAHA, nice!   She actually asked about that song.    :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6950 on: May 22, 2020, 11:18:55 AM »
Reservoir Dogs is the best thing Tarantino has ever done.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6951 on: May 22, 2020, 11:38:01 AM »
That's a fantastic film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #6952 on: May 22, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »
My wife walked away in the middle of Reservoir Dogs.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6953 on: May 22, 2020, 04:07:39 PM »
The Two Popes.

It was okayish, a bit long and highly dramatized. They take dramatic and narrative liberty with every historical fact portrayed on the big screen (or in this case, the small screen of whatever device you stream Netflix on), and here they want us to believe that Ratzinger had a personal sitdown with Bergoglio to vet him as his successor, while they discuss and their different personalities arise. And Ratzinger at some point even name drops St. Francis because of course everything has to be an "origin story" in movies.

Still, it's Anthony Hopkins playing Ratzinger, and we're blessed and lucky to see him do literally anything at his point of his long life, and Jonathan Pryce playing Bergoglio as the entire meme community was suggesting all along. They're the reason alone to watch the movie. Certainly it's not to be seen as an history of how Ratzinger gave up the papac, let alone vetted Bergoglio rooting for him to take over.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6954 on: May 23, 2020, 07:56:34 AM »
Double feature last night:

Stand By Me and Casablanca

I have seen the former, not the latter, so for me, Casablanca was the winner.   It's so hard to watch movies from that era (it was made in 1942) without accounting for context.  The whole final act - basically Bogart acting in front of a smoke screen - took some effort to not judge in the context of 2020 and the effects that can be accomplished, but the story was good and after you got into the rhythm of Bogart, it was a well acted film.  (Both Bogart and Bergman though the film crap before and while they were making it). 

SBM, well.... I'm a King fan and I generally do not think that the adaptations do him justice, and this is no different.    it was a revelation, though, to discover what an acting force River Phoenix was.   He stole that show.  Granted, he was older than the other three boys (Jerry McConnell must thank the puberty gods on an hourly basis), but he really brought a believability to that role.   I know it's easy to bag on Corey Feldman, but he's horrible, even outside the context of what we know now.   Wil Wheaton was believable in his role, but he just didn't have the oomph to hold his own with Phoenix.   Really liked Keifer Sutherland as Ace; then again, I usually like Keifer Sutherland in whatever he's in. I'm a big fan.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6955 on: May 23, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »
Reservoir Dogs is the best thing Tarantino has ever done.

If we remove Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds from his repertoire, then I might agree. Maybe.  :biggrin:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6956 on: May 23, 2020, 03:56:06 PM »
The Call of the Wild, with Harrison Ford.

An absolute eye-candy for the nature sceneries, worth watching just for that. And for the heartwarming friendship between Ford and the dog I guess  ;D but really, what marvellous landscapes.

Online Adami

« Reply #6957 on: May 23, 2020, 04:01:17 PM »
Honey Boy.

A bit late to the game with this one, but holy moly is it good. You can tell that this is exactly what it was trying to be, a therapeutic exercise for Shia, and he absolutely nailed it. Amazing directing, writing, and acting. I highly recommend this, even if you hate Shia. This might change your mind.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6958 on: May 24, 2020, 09:01:45 PM »

I have seen the former, not the latter, so for me, Casablanca was the winner.   It's so hard to watch movies from that era (it was made in 1942) without accounting for context.  The whole final act - basically Bogart acting in front of a smoke screen - took some effort to not judge in the context of 2020 and the effects that can be accomplished, but the story was good and after you got into the rhythm of Bogart, it was a well acted film.  (Both Bogart and Bergman though the film crap before and while they were making it). 

Roger Ebert once said (paraphrasing, maybe) that a 'classic" was a movie he would feel sad about never being able to see again. I have seen Casablanca several times, though not in a long while, and I would feel bad if I could never watch it again. 

SBM, well.... I'm a King fan and I generally do not think that the adaptations do him justice, and this is no different.    it was a revelation, though, to discover what an acting force River Phoenix was.   He stole that show.  Granted, he was older than the other three boys (Jerry McConnell must thank the puberty gods on an hourly basis), but he really brought a believability to that role.   I know it's easy to bag on Corey Feldman, but he's horrible, even outside the context of what we know now.   Wil Wheaton was believable in his role, but he just didn't have the oomph to hold his own with Phoenix.   Really liked Keifer Sutherland as Ace; then again, I usually like Keifer Sutherland in whatever he's in. I'm a big fan.   

Good assessment, especially about the acting. I saw this film before reading the story. It has a good vibe to it, but the story isn't all that engaging. One thing I like very much is how the line "I never had friends later on in life like I did when I was 12' was moved to the end. In the book, it is in the middle, almost as a throwaway line. It makes a much stronger statement at the end, Richard Dreyfus typing the words, taking a moment to reflect on it, then going out to play with his son and his friend. Now that I think about it, that might be one of my favorite film endings.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6959 on: May 25, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
Jojo Rabbit

I can't remember the last time a movie made me both laugh out loud AND tear up.

SPOILER:

The blue butterfly-to-mom's shoes shot is a wonderful piece of cinema

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6960 on: May 25, 2020, 01:28:41 PM »
Jojo Rabbit is absolutely fantastic and moving.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6961 on: May 25, 2020, 02:17:34 PM »
Extraction.

Typical ex-military bad boy doing a good thing kinda movie.  There's a really nice "one-shot" sequence - almost 14 minutes long.  Even though it's cleverly stitched together in a few spots, and CGI'd a bit, it was a good sequence.  Almost as good as the one in Atomic Blond.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6962 on: May 25, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »
Bullitt (1968) - Hell yeah, motherfucker.  Steve McQueen, the car chase, and all the cool you can handle.
You might check out To Live and Die in LA. I thought it was similar in style, good cops being pushed further and further beyond the pale, but far more intense and the car chase might actually be better. William Friedkin told his stunt coordinator that he could only do a car chase unless it was better than his own in The French Connection, and he certainly pulled it off. The downside is that the soundtrack is by Wang Chung (definitely an 80s film), but it's got more than enough cool to make up for it.

That said, when the bad guy in Bullitt looked at his partner, and then casually put on his driving gloves to give chase is an absolute classic.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6963 on: May 25, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
Double feature last night:

I watched Casablanca for the first time not too long ago and loved it. I liked Bogie as a really cool, really tough guy haunted by a ton of baggage leftover from the girl. Since I watch a ton of old movies the style didn't bother me at all. Like I said in some other thread, I'm really in it for a good story made believable, and you don't need 80 million dollars to make a movie believable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6964 on: May 26, 2020, 01:53:41 AM »
I too did watch Casablanca for the first and only time a couple of years ago, liked it a lot.

It's really apples and oranges, but if someone liked the setting of Morocco during WWII, I'd suggest Allied, with Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard. It's not a new Casablanca, but if you liked the general setting of it, half of the movie takes place there and I found it quite interesting.