Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554292 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6545 on: January 23, 2020, 04:48:11 PM »
Airplane

Yes it's very dated, but there is a reason it's always on the lists of funniest movies of all time.  Absolute Classic!!!  Avoid the sequel however  :tdwn

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6546 on: January 23, 2020, 05:28:11 PM »
The sequel was interesting.  At first, I thought it was really stupid because they literally were just recycling plots and characters from the first movie.  Then I realized that that was the whole point.  Just as Airplane spoofed the Airport movies, the sequel riffed on the fact that all the Airport movies were the same by giving you more of the same.  Meta-satire or something.  I mean, it was even called "Airplane II: The Sequel".  But yeah, that's kinda the "joke" and really the only thing funny about it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6547 on: January 24, 2020, 02:32:56 AM »
Airplane

Yes it's very dated, but there is a reason it's always on the lists of funniest movies of all time.  Absolute Classic!!! 

It was a hit in Italy as well, as a little kid me and my class mates were having fun quoting the most memorable moments of the movie. Absolute classic indeed!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6548 on: January 24, 2020, 04:41:12 AM »
Airplane

Yes it's very dated, but there is a reason it's always on the lists of funniest movies of all time.  Absolute Classic!!!  Avoid the sequel however  :tdwn

To this day, few movies make me laugh my ass off like Airplane.

"I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue"  :rollin

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6549 on: January 24, 2020, 04:50:04 AM »
If I remember reading that correctly, it was also the movie that started Leslie Nielsen's comedic carrer. Up until that point he was an actor for "serious" roles, and precisely because of that he was cast to deliver his lines in a serious and deadpan delivery, with the ensuing comedic effect. He was liked so much that he crossed into comedy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6550 on: January 24, 2020, 05:40:27 AM »
Doctor Sleep

I haven't read the book, but the movie was quite good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6551 on: January 24, 2020, 05:47:33 AM »
Joker

Thor, that was depressing. In the best possible way.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:24:09 AM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6552 on: January 24, 2020, 07:07:47 AM »
If I remember reading that correctly, it was also the movie that started Leslie Nielsen's comedic carrer. Up until that point he was an actor for "serious" roles, and precisely because of that he was cast to deliver his lines in a serious and deadpan delivery, with the ensuing comedic effect. He was liked so much that he crossed into comedy.
That's pretty much how it worked.  Same with Peter Graves.  Graves wasn't sure about doing the movie because he didn't understand it.  He too was a "serious" actor, and from reading the script, he couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.  Also, there were Captain Oveur's talks with little Billy.  He was afraid people would think he was a pedo.  I think it was his agent/manager who told him something that's stuck with me ever since: Characters in a comedy don't know they're in a comedy.  You play it straight, and the result is comedy gold.  He still didn't get it, but he took the part.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6553 on: January 24, 2020, 11:40:35 AM »
John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum:tup :tup :tup :tup

Godzilla, King of the Monsters:tup :tup :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6554 on: January 25, 2020, 06:52:53 AM »
Just Mercy

Pretty okayish.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6555 on: January 25, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »
1917 - WOAH. Seriously that is a great movie and I would watch a however long making of feature. A few CGI cuts were noticable, but I have no idea how they shot some of that stuff. Specifically the airplane scene. No clue at all.

Little Women - Loved it. Just really great film, with great acting and great characters. This is the first version of this story I've seen and I never read the book, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I really really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Hoping to see Parasite next week.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6556 on: January 25, 2020, 03:42:55 PM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

It was nice and cool, very stylish, but... I'm not so sure what was the point of this movie. I know, the point of every movie is to entertain and tell a story, but it's even hard to describe the story. Actor adjusts to his declining carreer, his stuntman has some adventures on the side, and Sharon Tate in the end doesn't get murdered (well, luckily, I'd add). I liked it but it seemed a collection of random period vignettes.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6557 on: January 26, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »
Jojo Rabbit.

I think I have a new favorite movie! I was surprised at the complex juxtaposed feelings the story and acting invoked. At different times I was simultaneously horrified, amused, and moved. I'm really glad I saw it at the theater because it encouraged me to not guffaw out loud--so much so that I actually clamped my hand over my mouth several times. That way I was able to not miss anything by drowning the dialog in laughter.

I laughed (a lot), I cried, I gasped in horror, I was scandalized, and inspired. Sometimes all at the same moment.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6558 on: January 26, 2020, 05:01:41 PM »

I thought it was really good. The “one shot” approach was really cool. There were some obvious cuts, but overall it was a really tense two hours. I was disappointed that there were some typical movie moments to advance the plot, but it is what it is. Overall, a great war film, no pun intended
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6559 on: January 27, 2020, 02:23:59 AM »

I thought it was really good. The “one shot” approach was really cool. There were some obvious cuts, but overall it was a really tense two hours. I was disappointed that there were some typical movie moments to advance the plot, but it is what it is. Overall, a great war film, no pun intended
I watched it yesterday. Also liked it and the "one shot" approach made it quite unique. It is a great movie even for someone who is very tired of war movies.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6560 on: February 01, 2020, 01:34:27 PM »
The Crow 2: City of angels

I truly wish it was better. The first crow is one of my favorite movies ever made and part two seems like it has the pieces in place but falls short in a lot of ways. The guy playing the crow is all wrong. He's not very convincing and doesn't have the captivating energy of Brandon Lee. And his accent is corny  :P

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6561 on: February 01, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
The Crow 2: City of angels

I truly wish it was better. The first crow is one of my favorite movies ever made and part two seems like it has the pieces in place but falls short in a lot of ways. The guy playing the crow is all wrong. He's not very convincing and doesn't have the captivating energy of Brandon Lee. And his accent is corny  :P

I would love to see the original cut before Miramax ordered them to completely re-edit the movie to try and make it more like the first one.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6562 on: February 01, 2020, 04:04:59 PM »

I would love to see the original cut before Miramax ordered them to completely re-edit the movie to try and make it more like the first one.

Me too. I would have loved to see what they originally intended. Sounded very interesting.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6563 on: February 02, 2020, 02:38:12 AM »
Uncut Gems

WTF

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6564 on: February 02, 2020, 07:57:33 AM »
Saw The Gentlemen last night, good stuff :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6565 on: February 02, 2020, 12:11:29 PM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

It was nice and cool, very stylish, but... I'm not so sure what was the point of this movie. I know, the point of every movie is to entertain and tell a story, but it's even hard to describe the story. Actor adjusts to his declining carreer, his stuntman has some adventures on the side, and Sharon Tate in the end doesn't get murdered (well, luckily, I'd add). I liked it but it seemed a collection of random period vignettes.
But that DOG!   :rollin
The "PITT" Bull was almost the most redeeming factor of the movie!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6566 on: February 04, 2020, 01:05:09 AM »
This is Spinal Tap  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:03:31 AM by jjrock88 »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6567 on: February 04, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
The Wicker Man (1973)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6568 on: February 04, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »
The Wicker Man (1973)

Absolutely amazing.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6569 on: February 04, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »
Parasite (2019)

Return to Nuke'Em High Volumes 1 & 2 (2013/2017)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6570 on: February 05, 2020, 12:17:16 AM »
I've decided to rewatch all the James Bond movies, I haven't seen the ones from the 60s and 70s since I was a kid.

So last night I watched Goldfinger, I really enjoyed it. Tonight I'll move on to Thunderball.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6571 on: February 05, 2020, 07:16:34 AM »
The classic James Bond movies are amazing.  I saw them all on TV when I was a kid, when networks had movie-of-the-week and stuff like that.  Or late night, after the local news.  Anyway, I watch them now and see how over-the-top they are, blatantly winking at the camera sometimes.  It somehow doesn't take anything away.  They're still great, crazy fun movies.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6572 on: February 05, 2020, 07:30:06 AM »
My favorite Connery bond film is From Russia with love. For a movie made in 1963, it keeps my interest and moves at a decent pace.

I respect Goldfinger, but I get crazy bored after he gets captured and is stuck at the horse ranch for a while. Besides that it decent and iconic.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6573 on: February 07, 2020, 11:59:36 AM »
Uncut Gems (2019):

That was so fucking good. One hell of an adrenaline rush. My only 10/10 of the year.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6574 on: February 07, 2020, 03:23:49 PM »
Ikiru (1952), Kurosawa

Fascinating.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6575 on: February 07, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6576 on: February 07, 2020, 08:27:33 PM »
Sixteen: We all come out like it's Halloween!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6577 on: February 08, 2020, 06:52:28 AM »
Birds of Prey (2020)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6578 on: February 10, 2020, 10:44:29 AM »
Parasite

I wish I would have just seen the movie without being told its the movie of the year and all of that. Yes, its very good. But my expectations always run away with themselves when people start telling me how great it is.

A very interesting movie. It blends a lot of different emotions which I appreciate: Humor, sadness, irony, pain, regret, self down, insecurity, joy. Its definitely worth a watch.

Props to it winning best picture this year. My personal vote would have been Joker, but Parasite is very deserving. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6579 on: February 11, 2020, 03:27:54 PM »
Over the past week, I finally saw:

Snatch - I probably need to re-watch this, as it seemed like I missed a lot of stuff, thanks to the frantic pace and editing.  Seemed like a good movie, it just all ran together after a while.

The Punisher - I am going to give the friend who recommended this to me some serious crap.  This is the definition of "entertaining despite being some of the most terrible, contrived bull shit ever."  You couldn't pay me to watch this again.