Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554427 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6510 on: December 30, 2019, 04:50:20 AM »
Marriage Story.  Heartbreaking for sure, with lots of angst.  I got frustrated with Nicole - she flopped around too much from being conflicted and in pain, to being a cut-throat bitch in the divorce process.  That scene in Charlie's apartment.  Wow!  Both of them deserve Oscar nominations.  Their performances were out of this world.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6511 on: December 30, 2019, 05:23:38 AM »
Marriage story is a damn good movie. Scarier than any horror movie I've watched. Realer than any romantic comedy or Notebook/lakehouse kind of movie. Its the real deal and it hits you hard.

Really fantastic performances as well.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6512 on: December 30, 2019, 07:33:36 AM »
Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker.

Pretty good. :tup :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6513 on: December 30, 2019, 10:38:37 AM »
Marriage story was amazing, the acting and writing in that movie was something else. It's definitely this decade's Kramer vs. Kramer. I would've really enjoyed watching this on the big screen.

It's really nice to watch the drama dialogue heavy movies on the big screen in the theater sometimes. I watched The Farewell in an almost empty theater and it was a great watch.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #6514 on: December 31, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »
Been watching all the Mission Impossible movies and have been loving it. I had originally ranked Ghost Protocol as my favorite but after seeing the last three again I think Fallout is my absolutely favorite one. The last three ones are awesome and I love the direction they all went in are great fun movies, even though they essentially have the same plot.

The first MI movie is so different and to think it was released 23 years ago but still so enjoyable. It's a great spy thriller filled with all the 90s packed into it. The action scenes play out alot slower than nowadays and Tom Cruise was practically a baby in that movie.

MI 2 & 3 left to rewatch.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6515 on: December 31, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
Vice. With Christian Bale as Dick Chaney

What a movie, wow.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6516 on: January 01, 2020, 11:05:59 AM »
@ Faiz... all of the MI movies are great.  And by "all", I mean "except MI:II".

Saw Jumanji 2 last night with the jingle.family for our annual dinner + movie NYE. Very entertaining.  Karen Gillian ... :drool:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #6517 on: January 01, 2020, 12:36:52 PM »
Yeah I meant to say I was re-watching them all, they are all great but I think I love them a lot more of late. Saw MI2 last night and it was actually better than I remember, the story is straight forward and done well. The stunts are obviously over the top but I think back when I first saw them they hit all the right testosterone teenage addled cool notes.

I'd still rank it at the bottom of all MI movies, a bit of trivia I read yesterday, the original movie cut was over 3 hours long and apparently John Woo and Tom Cruise had lots of issues throughout the movie while shooting.

Either way it was a lot more enjoyable than exepected, I'm very curious how 7 & 8 turn out. 6 had almost everything right and I kinda wished they still had Henry Cavill, he was fantastic in his role.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6518 on: January 02, 2020, 06:27:53 AM »
Jumanji 2. It was a lot of fun. I think they did a great job of keeping things fresh for what could have been a run-of-the-mill sequel.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6519 on: January 04, 2020, 10:58:37 AM »
Still working my way through the MCU. Watched Infinity War last night. Loved it. Wanda completely losing her accent without explanation really threw me off, however. Googled that after the movie and I guess it was a pretty big deal. Good to know it wasn't just me.

Just a few more to go and I will be all caught up. Might actually go see Black Widow in the theater when the time comes. Of course, if I understand it correctly, I am already good to go for that since it takes place after Civil War.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6520 on: January 04, 2020, 09:47:59 PM »
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

:metal :metal

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6521 on: January 05, 2020, 07:50:39 AM »
Le huitième jour

Amazing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6522 on: January 05, 2020, 05:20:06 PM »
Rocky IV

I’ve seen all of the Rocky movies many times, but to me, part 4 is the best and my favourite. Even though this 90 minute movie consists of 30 minutes of montages, it’s just awesome!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6523 on: January 05, 2020, 05:28:06 PM »
Rocky IV

I’ve seen all of the Rocky movies many times, but to me, part 4 is the best and my favourite. Even though this 90 minute movie consists of 30 minutes of montages, it’s just awesome!

I think I’m in the VERY small minority that puts IV pretty low on my list. I put the original at number one, but Rocky Balboa is up there too.

I think I see Rocky better as a drama franchise rather than a silly 80s cheesy franchise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6524 on: January 05, 2020, 05:30:46 PM »
Rocky IV

Definitely my favorite. I can watch it over and over again. And the lamborghini "no easy way out" montage is so damn good  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6525 on: January 05, 2020, 05:48:21 PM »
Rocky IV

Definitely my favorite. I can watch it over and over again. And the lamborghini "no easy way out" montage is so damn good  :metal

Outstanding sequence, one of the best of 80s movies

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6526 on: January 05, 2020, 06:00:31 PM »
Rocky IV

I think I’m in the VERY small minority that puts IV pretty low on my list. I put the original at number one, but Rocky Balboa is up there too.

I think I see Rocky better as a drama franchise rather than a silly 80s cheesy franchise.

I think I’m a Rocky connoisseur and I agree that Rocky 1 is the best actual film overall. It has everything, drama, action and 100x deserves best movie award from that year. But if you ask many hard core Rocky fans, part 4 is where it’s at. This is the personification of 80s classics (along with Commando). The series should have ended after this one and skipped part 5! Rocky Balboa from 2006 should have been part 5! I shouldn’t give part 5 from 1990 too much grief, it was decent but it was far removed from the Rocky formula from 1-4

Online Adami

« Reply #6527 on: January 05, 2020, 06:04:37 PM »
Rocky V? Hmmm. Not familiar. Pretty sure it doesn’t exist.

And you won’t convince me otherwise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6528 on: January 05, 2020, 06:06:04 PM »
Rocky V? Hmmm. Not familiar. Pretty sure it doesn’t exist.

And you won’t convince me otherwise.

:lol disregard. That’s just my expert Rocky speak talking

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6529 on: January 05, 2020, 06:26:01 PM »
Rocky V has its moments, as well as one of the best lines in the entire Rocky series, but it was overall a major drop-off.

IV is fun as heck, but it has the sheen and glitz of the mid 80's, which was a stark contrast to the first three.

The original Rocky is still one of the best films ever.  Just a perfect film in every way.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6530 on: January 05, 2020, 06:51:48 PM »
Rocky V has its moments, as well as one of the best lines in the entire Rocky series, but it was overall a major drop-off.

IV is fun as heck, but it has the sheen and glitz of the mid 80's, which was a stark contrast to the first three.

The original Rocky is still one of the best films ever.  Just a perfect film in every way.

Agree Completely  :tup

Part 1 definitely deserves all the praise it gets for best picture of the year. It’s a movie that anyone can enjoy, regardless of if they are a sports fan or not. The drama and love story of part 1 I believe is the main selling point and makes it a must watch for everyone.

Part 2 is the perfect follow up of part 1 and doesn’t get the credit it deserves. It still follows the Rocky formula perfectly and you still can’t help but cheer for the loveable Rocky Balboa. It still sets up Rocky as the loveable loser and him winning in the end is just the perfect ending.

Part 3 is where the series becomes a bit of the times. The Rocky character changes a little bit; he appears more cognizant of his success and represents himself a lot better. Rocky isn’t the street fighter and dunce that everyone fell in love with, but a successful champion fighter that is far removed from where he begun. Still an outstanding movie with the film debut of Hulk Hogan and Mr T. Definitely not a contender of movie of the year but still an awesome 80s movie.

Rocky 4- As I mentioned above, my favourite of the Rocky movies. As Adami mentioned and I confirmed, the Lamborghini scene in part 4 is one of the best scenes in 80s movies history.

Rocky 5- As Adami mentioned and I’ll reiterate, never happened.

Rocky 6 (Rocky Balboa)- A much better ending to the series than part 5 lol

Online Adami

« Reply #6531 on: January 05, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »
I think the two Creed movies are the great wrap up to his character. Him reconciling with his son at the end. I’m not crying! YOU'RE CRYING!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6532 on: January 05, 2020, 07:38:00 PM »
Correction.....Phoenix87x backs me up with the Lamborghini scene in Rocky 4, not Adami

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6533 on: January 05, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
The only part of II that makes me cringe is the moment early in the fight when Creed tells everyone to get their cameras ready and then literally winds up his arm several times and then throws a haymaker that Rocky doesn't even try to avoid.  The matches in the Rocky movies were always more violent and unrealistic than real fights, but that was just a little bit too hokey.  Still love the film, and the scene where Mickey slaps Rocky to demonstrate how bad a shape his eye is in is one of my favorites.  "He'd hurt ya permanent. Permament!"  And of course it can never be said enough how amazing the scene is when the kids all start running with Rocky when he's training.  That scene is such an adrenaline shot.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6534 on: January 05, 2020, 09:01:33 PM »
The only part of II that makes me cringe is the moment early in the fight when Creed tells everyone to get their cameras ready and then literally winds up his arm several times and then throws a haymaker that Rocky doesn't even try to avoid.  The matches in the Rocky movies were always more violent and unrealistic than real fights, but that was just a little bit too hokey.  Still love the film, and the scene where Mickey slaps Rocky to demonstrate how bad a shape his eye is in is one of my favorites.  "He'd hurt ya permanent. Permament!"  And of course it can never be said enough how amazing the scene is when the kids all start running with Rocky when he's training.  That scene is such an adrenaline shot.

Yes definitely the scene in part 2 where the hundreds of kids start to run with Rocky to the top of the steps of the Philadelphia museum is goose bumping inducing. One of the best scenes of the entire series and all time movie scenes 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6535 on: January 06, 2020, 02:34:39 AM »
Pokemon - Detective Pikachu.

Surprisingly clever, I thought it would have been just a lame excuse to show off the pokemons but I've seen way more "serious" movies having way worse plots.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6536 on: January 13, 2020, 02:14:12 AM »
Bloodsport:  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Enough said

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6537 on: January 13, 2020, 06:38:27 AM »
Finally watched the whole ‘Free Solo’ documentary on Alex Honnold. I had seen clips and knew about him and his quest to free climb Yosemite's 3,200-foot El Capitan mountain. Just crazy. It’s an interesting documentary and amazing feat.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6538 on: January 14, 2020, 03:09:28 PM »
Motherless Brooklyn

A movie directed by Edward Norton, where he also plays the protagonist. Based on the book by the same name. One of the best movies of 2019.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6539 on: January 18, 2020, 06:12:44 PM »
Ford vs. Ferrari. Brilliant. I loved it!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6540 on: January 18, 2020, 07:11:59 PM »
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (again).  Still awesome.  Sam Rockwell always delivers, and I just love the idea that it could be real.  It's insane, completely far-fetched, and "should" be unbelieveable, but I don't care.  Chuck Barris is my hero.  I want to believe.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6541 on: January 19, 2020, 02:58:07 AM »
Motherless Brooklyn

A movie directed by Edward Norton, where he also plays the protagonist. Based on the book by the same name. One of the best movies of 2019.

Watched it, it was kinda nice! the plot maybe was a bit difficult to follow, but the atmosphere of New York was conveyed greatly and the protagonist was memorable as well. Great movie indeed.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #6542 on: January 19, 2020, 10:24:11 AM »
Finally watched the whole ‘Free Solo’ documentary on Alex Honnold. I had seen clips and knew about him and his quest to free climb Yosemite's 3,200-foot El Capitan mountain. Just crazy. It’s an interesting documentary and amazing feat.

I totally loved this doc.  Freaked me the f out, but it was worth it.

Motherless Brooklyn

I just finished Norton's interview on WTF podcast (I'm a little behind) and I really want to see this film.  So great to hear it's worthy.  Norton is a very intelligent and interesting cat.

So I finally got around to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  Love the whole feel of the movie, set design, costumes, and the like.  I'm not a huge QT fan, but he deserves the accolades he's getting.

Also saw Bombshell on NYE.  Theron is uncanny. I totally thought I was watching Megyn Kelly a few times.  Kidman was good.  I'm not sure I felt Robbie was all that great.  She was fine.  But the other ladies outshone her performance.  John Lithgow is genius.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #6543 on: January 19, 2020, 01:36:46 PM »
The Good Dinosaur :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6544 on: January 23, 2020, 03:33:22 PM »
Ad Astra. Nicely done but honestly it was quite boring.