Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554482 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6405 on: October 05, 2019, 11:26:13 PM »
Joker. Had very little expectations and ended up very pleased with it actually. Amazing cinematography and acting.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6406 on: October 06, 2019, 04:37:42 AM »
The Terminal. Tom Hanks is a eastern european visitor from a country that suffers a coup just as his plane was in the air, so his passport is no longer valid and he has to remain confined at the airport for eventually 9 months.

Very enjoyable and heartwarming, some moments towards the end are a little too sappy but all in all it's a nice insight, albeit romanticized, of how life goes on in a place we all just pass by.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6407 on: October 06, 2019, 06:02:11 AM »
Joker. Had very little expectations and ended up very pleased with it actually. Amazing cinematography and acting.

cool.  jingle.son and I are going tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6408 on: October 06, 2019, 06:41:19 AM »
The Terminal. Tom Hanks is a eastern european visitor from a country that suffers a coup just as his plane was in the air, so his passport is no longer valid and he has to remain confined at the airport for eventually 9 months.

Very enjoyable and heartwarming, some moments towards the end are a little too sappy but all in all it's a nice insight, albeit romanticized, of how life goes on in a place we all just pass by.

I agree on all counts.  The Terminal was made while at still worked at the airlines, and we heard a lot about it before most people, so I was practically obligated to see it at some point.  The premise sounded weird, though.  Tom Hanks as a foreign guy stuck in a terminal for several months.  I like both Hanks and Catherine though, so I gave it a shot and wasn't disappointed.  Pretty good movie

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6409 on: October 07, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »
Watched 'My Girl' with my wife and youngest son last night. I don't care how many times I see that movie.....the funeral scene when she comes down the stairs into the funeral and goes up to the coffin saying 'he need's his glasses on....he can't see without his glasses'......I gut cry on that every time.

The reason we watched it is because my youngest was asking me if I've ever cried at a movie. Well, I've cried at a few....but I told him that 'My Girl' was the one that floored me the most (for whatever reason). I think it's a really good movie....then you throw that tragedy into it and that scene and it's gut wrenching.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6410 on: October 09, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
Midsommar (2019): One of the best horror movies of the decade as is the director’s previous movie Hereditary (2018).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6411 on: October 09, 2019, 08:25:05 PM »
Watched 'My Girl' with my wife and youngest son last night. I don't care how many times I see that movie.....the funeral scene when she comes down the stairs into the funeral and goes up to the coffin saying 'he need's his glasses on....he can't see without his glasses'......I gut cry on that every time.

I've never heard of this movie, but thinking of what you are describing, that gives me goosebumps....and a pit in my stomach.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6412 on: October 09, 2019, 08:26:08 PM »

I've never heard of this movie

Is this your version of me disagreeing with Stadler?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6413 on: October 09, 2019, 08:27:22 PM »
No. Tim wasin a coma for over a decade.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6414 on: October 09, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »
No. Tim wasin a coma for over a decade.

A couple, actually! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6415 on: October 10, 2019, 01:08:49 AM »
Midsommar (2019): One of the best horror movies of the decade as is the director’s previous movie Hereditary (2018).

That's on my watchlist! nice to know it's good.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6416 on: October 10, 2019, 06:46:19 AM »

I've never heard of this movie, but thinking of what you are describing, that gives me goosebumps....and a pit in my stomach.

Seriously Tim? It was a pretty big movie back in the mid 90’s. It’s just a coming of age film for a couple young kids.....that happens to have a bad tragedy that rips your gut out.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6417 on: October 26, 2019, 03:42:57 PM »
John Wick 3 - Parabellum.

As nice and entertaining as absurd in its premise. The idea of an organization of assassins so vast, wide spread, well organized and so integrated into society is ridiculous. Also, if they have enough money to pay a 14 million $ dollars bounty, why do they even need to keep on being assassins?

Still, once you look past this, you get a great performance from Keanu Reeves, Ian McShane literally speaking and being there which is always a good thing no matter what, and great action sequences, the initial one in the rain was visually superb.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6418 on: October 26, 2019, 04:30:52 PM »
Totally agree on Wick 3.  Completely ridiculous, but so, so cool that you just can't stop watching it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6419 on: October 26, 2019, 04:36:15 PM »
Ready Player One

Fun stuff.  I'm a sucker for decent science fiction, and this is pretty decent.  A premise taken to an extreme in an interesting way, it only has to be reasonably plausible to work because no one knows what the future will be like.  Everything's just a guess anyway.  I liked the way the line between real and virtual gradually broke down over the course of the movie, and by the end the blending/crossover was crazy fun.  Good story, the girl was cute, all good.

5 keys out of 5.  Would watch again, loudly.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #6420 on: October 27, 2019, 02:32:00 PM »
Got some friends and kids of friends together to watch Infinity War and Endgame back to back. Awesome experience. Amazing cinema (and grumpy old fart Scorcese can jump off a bridge).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6421 on: October 28, 2019, 11:04:01 AM »
Totally agree on Wick 3.  Completely ridiculous, but so, so cool that you just can't stop watching it.

I saw the first Wick movie but that was it.  While it was a well done movie,  I just can't stand gun violence. So many movies now days are just over the top "bang bang" shoot-em-up scenes and  extremely graphic. Just not my thing..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6422 on: October 28, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »
It's definitely not for everybody.  I'm actually not a huge fan of shoot-em-up movies, and this is definitely one, but within the genre, the John Wick movies are pretty much masterpieces of style over substance, and I like Keanu Reeves.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6423 on: October 29, 2019, 09:54:19 AM »
Yeah,  I do like Keano Reeves. I hope that he lands some roles in different types of movies in the future. But I'm sure there is a big market for the Wick movies and there will be more sequels to come.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6424 on: October 29, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
It's definitely not for everybody.  I'm actually not a huge fan of shoot-em-up movies, and this is definitely one, but within the genre, the John Wick movies are pretty much masterpieces of style over substance, and I like Keanu Reeves.

IMO the John Wick movies are the top of the class of this 'style' of movie. The production is top notch, the choreography and fight/shooting scenes are incredible....the 'world' that has been created is intriguing.....the characters that have been introduced and that will/can be introduced are interesting....this franchise is cream of the crop.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6425 on: October 29, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »

IMO the John Wick movies are the top of the class of this 'style' of movie. The production is top notch, the choreography and fight/shooting scenes are incredible....the 'world' that has been created is intriguing.....the characters that have been introduced and that will/can be introduced are interesting....this franchise is cream of the crop.

Indeed, I'm not really a fan of these kind of movies, but I like these ones because they're (cheesingly) good.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6426 on: October 29, 2019, 10:44:59 AM »
Saw The Lighthouse last night. What a weird movie. I can't decide if it was great or terrible.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6427 on: October 29, 2019, 02:00:51 PM »
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Completely ridiculous.  These movies are getting dumber and dumber.  Depp was fine as Captain Jack, Rush and the others were fine, Javier Bardem was appropriately weird and menacing, but the real star was newcomer Kaya Scodelario, or actually just her cleavage, although she was quite pretty, too.  It's like they told the cameraman to catch as many cleavage shots as possible, and he complied.  That's okay.  It helped me forget how dumb the movie was.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6428 on: October 29, 2019, 08:32:03 PM »
Mother!: pretty interesting if somewhat overwhelming symbolism that really didn't need that explanation at the end, it was quite obvious what the whole thing meant (although I've read some very weird reviews that try to tag it as a film about atheism or anti-feminism :lol). Pretty intense and interesting. 3.5/5

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6429 on: November 04, 2019, 11:04:45 PM »
Invasion USA

Chuck Norris Rocks  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6430 on: November 05, 2019, 01:21:56 AM »
Given the time of the year I've been on a mini horror binge. I watched:

TALES OF HALLOWEEN - Anthology Halloween horror movie, "not great, not terrible". Some segments are cool but Trick r' Treat remains for me the undisputed benchmark for Halloween (anthology) movies.

NOSFERATU - Yeah, the 1922 one. Wanted to see for the sake of seeing something so historical. No point in criticizing cinematic tecniques of a century ago, and the silent aspect of it didn't bother me, but the story itself didn't really grab me. Still it was a nice historical check on a "to do list" (well, to see) so to speak.

THE EXORCIST - I decided I wanted to see the TV series so I gave a second spin (the first one was years ago) to the classic 1973 movie. It is a great movie, and it deserves all the accolades it got throughout the years, but I found it weird at times. The opening scene in the desert for example - it is completely gratuitous or it serves to symbolize that Max Von Sydow brought the demon home after having found its statue? since it's never really mentioned again. Also, I might have lost concentration for a bit but I don't remember any valid justification to bring Reagan to the doctor for an evaluation since she yet had to start to display strange behaviour.

Another weird thing was that while Reagan was doing very creepy things, the scene would cut in the middle of it, without showing how and if she calmed down, and the reaction of her mother. Like when she was trying to keep the bed from swirling around and stuff was flying around in the room, they were both screaming aaaaand cut. Well, d'uh? how and when the mess did stop?

Still, great atmospheric movie and it's well worthy of the good fame it has.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6431 on: November 05, 2019, 06:03:37 AM »
Harriet - Pretty standard period biopic. Decent performances and a compelling story. Harriet Tubman was a bad-ass. But it ultimately left me feeling like it was lacking a spark that could have made it a great movie.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6432 on: November 06, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
The Shining; preparations for Dr. Sleep.

Centralia- The documentary "The town that was"; it's a very good flic. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online Adami

« Reply #6433 on: November 07, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »
Finally saw Aquaman.

I had no interest in this movie because the trailers looked SO dumb and I generally don't enjoy super dumb action movies.

That said.....this seemed to be an exception. It was beyond stupid. Poorly written, meh acting, etc, but somehow I ended up mostly enjoying it. Not sure why.

But yea, not an actual good movie though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6434 on: November 07, 2019, 10:19:59 AM »
The Shining; preparations for Dr. Sleep.

Me too.

Doctor sleep tomorrow. can't wait to see it  :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #6435 on: November 08, 2019, 02:24:42 PM »
Jojo Rabbit.

This movie is just so...........so...........-sigh-...............amazing.

Seriously people, this movie is bloody fantastic on so many levels. It's hilarious, it's adorable, it's heart breaking, it's uplifting, it's somber, it's amazing. I really really REALLY loved this movie.

Probably my favorite Scarlet Johanson performance, but everyone else in the movie, especially the kid actors, are giving insane performances.

Highly recommended.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6436 on: November 08, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »
Can't wait to see that one. Going to try to hit it up next weekend at some point.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6437 on: November 08, 2019, 03:55:40 PM »
Doctor Sleep

Thought it was great

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6438 on: November 09, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »

First Reformed

Very interesting, bleak film about a priest that meets an activist that's depressed about the future of the planet, and later he finds out the church's main donor is one of the world's top polluters. Beautifully directed by Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver screenwriter), very moving. 4.5/5

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6439 on: November 12, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »
Doctor Sleep

Thought it was great

Loved it myself... and loved the nods to DT within the movie.

Easily better than It Chapter 2 for me.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar