Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554312 times)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6335 on: June 01, 2019, 08:00:06 PM »
Watched "A Quiet Place" this afternoon.  WOW!!!  forget the Bird Box!  I'm really shocked I hadn't heard of this movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Never heard of it? Where were you last year?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6336 on: June 02, 2019, 06:12:03 AM »
Watched "A Quiet Place" this afternoon.  WOW!!!  forget the Bird Box!  I'm really shocked I hadn't heard of this movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Never heard of it? Where were you last year?
Must have had my head in the sand  :lol .  Guess it was one of those movies I didn't see a trailer for or heard co-workers talking about?

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #6337 on: June 04, 2019, 02:36:18 AM »
I saw Godzilla - King of the Monsters yesterday. It was a big, somewhat beautiful mess.
The pro's:
All the monster stuff was amazing. Ghidorah was such a badass villain, Mothra was beautiful and Rodan's reveal was so epic. I wish Mothra would get more screen time, because her scenes were some of my favorite in the movie. Godzilla was such a badass in the final battle as well.

The negatives:
All the human stuff was boring and cheesy, like Geostorm level bad at times. There were too many characters, and pretty much everyone felt so unrealistic. It's one of those movies where you feel you are watching actors act, not actors playing actual real-life characters, if that makes any sense.. It was actually shocking how dumb the human stuff was. One character is there just to deliver exposition, I mean..it was her ONLY function. Once a new monster was revealed she would go something like "this is Rodan - the fire demon". Then she would show a lot of ancient cave paintings on a screen and give a big speech about the tales that has been told about him in ancient times. She did that for pretty much every single monster, and it got so cringeworthy and jarring in the end...

I didn't like how every moment with the monsters was:
a) in the pouring rain
b) in a cloud of dust and smoke
or
c) at night - mostly combined with dust and smoke and/or rain

The battles were AMAZING, but would it be too much to ask to give us some big moments in daylight where you can see everything?

5/10 - pretty disappointing

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6338 on: June 09, 2019, 10:06:34 AM »
I was finally able to watch Enthiran 2.0, even more insane than the first movie.

Let's just put it this way. The bad guy of the film is a dude who loved birds because he was a stillborn baby who got revived by a bird giving him CPR pecking on his chest, and he was so upset by cell phone towers killing birds that he hanged himself from a cell phone tower and absorbed the negative aura of thousands of dead birds and could form into a giant robot bird made from cell phones, and could kill people by ramming cell phones into their mouth and exploding them.

That isn't even close to the craziest thing, but I'll avoid spoilers. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6339 on: June 09, 2019, 10:42:52 AM »
The Fuq?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6340 on: June 09, 2019, 11:09:01 AM »
I ain't making this shit up! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6341 on: June 09, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »
 :lol

Was it campy like Re-Animator that I'd love?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6342 on: June 09, 2019, 01:15:48 PM »
:lol

Was it campy like Re-Animator that I'd love?

Sorta? I'm not sure. :lol It doesn't take itself *too* seriously I guess, but it's a lot of fun.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6343 on: June 09, 2019, 01:56:46 PM »
You seem unsure of everything. lol. Time for a second watch. 

Online Polarbear

« Reply #6344 on: June 11, 2019, 02:35:36 PM »
Just got back from Rocketman!

10/10 Everyone go see it now! Taron Edgerton has already won best actor in 2020 oscars! :metal

Online faizoff

« Reply #6345 on: June 16, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »
So late to the party but finally saw Spider-Man:Into the Spider-verse! Wow i have no words and am seriously kicking myself for not watching this movie in the theater. Excellent movie all around. from the score to the sound design to the animation, the story, comedy, the comic book references. Packed to the brim with good stuff all around.

Breathtaking.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6346 on: June 20, 2019, 11:46:07 AM »
Just got back from Rocketman!

10/10 Everyone go see it now! Taron Edgerton has already won best actor in 2020 oscars! :metal
Yea of all the biopics lately that's the one i've been looking forward to the most!  :tup

Saw the trailer for Yesterday which I never heard of, really fun concept. Hopefully the movie is great.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6347 on: June 20, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »
I'm very interested in Yesterday. Seems like a fun, new idea instead of a remake or sequel.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6348 on: June 22, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
Lords of Chaos. The movie about the black metal scene in Norway - Varg, the killings, the churches burning, all of that stuff.

I'm into into the black metal scene so I didn't have the "How dare they changed half a syllable from what I and only I know is right" attitude. It was a good movie, it didn't shy away from the gore and violence and portrayed all the sides of the protagonists - the violent excesses, but also how they were, in the end, troubled kids in over their heads. Worth a watch for any metalhead.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6349 on: June 22, 2019, 12:55:30 PM »
The Varg character was ridiculous though. A caricature villain.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6350 on: June 22, 2019, 01:35:26 PM »
Just saw Rocketman with some buddies. For someone who's not a fan of Elton John, I thought it was entertaining and had good music.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6351 on: July 08, 2019, 03:58:50 PM »
Saw Yesterday last Thursday.  REALLY enjoyed it!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6352 on: July 08, 2019, 05:36:20 PM »
Saw Aladdin finally.

It was okay. I didn't like about 80-90% of the directing.

Any scene with Will Smith was fantastic.

Jasmine and the Sultan were both fantastic as well.

Aladdin was okay....at moments....but overall, not great casting minus his looks. Seems like a stage actor who didn't realize he had to change his approach to a film.

Jaffar was pathetic.

The new song felt like the movie stopped, went into a music video, and then went back to the movie? I dunno.

But yea, overall it was okay. Thank goodness for Will Smith.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6353 on: July 10, 2019, 07:49:25 AM »
Saw Yesterday last Thursday.  REALLY enjoyed it!
I really liked this one as well. I've had Beatles songs in my head ever since I saw it.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #6354 on: July 16, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
The Varg character was ridiculous though. A caricature villain.

So...like the real Varg then?  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6355 on: July 17, 2019, 04:39:46 AM »
Started watching the new Hellboy, but couldn't get passed the 10 minute mark. Holy F*** it's bad.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Adami

« Reply #6356 on: July 17, 2019, 06:55:41 AM »
Finally saw Shazam! last night. Wanted to see it in theaters but just got way too busy.

I loved it! I am not huge on the DCEU films. Still haven't seen Aquaman, and am not too excited for that one, but this one was great.

Perfect? Nope. But it was just so much fun. The actors were fantastic and I just loved how filled with life it was. A stark contrast to all the other DCEU films I'd seen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6357 on: July 17, 2019, 06:59:11 AM »
I never posted about it but I did see Shazam! recently as well. Pleasantly surprised (I didn't know anything about it) and I kept wondering why the app was named like that  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #6358 on: July 17, 2019, 08:04:43 AM »
It was also odd for me, as a huge Marvel comics guy, to see a DC movie that I know soooo little about. So no comics knowledge to help me out. When a damn bug thing at the end is talking to Mark Strong, I was like WHAT THE HELL IS THIS??!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #6359 on: July 19, 2019, 08:40:08 AM »
Hereditary: Ruined my fucking day, would definitely reccomend it.

Yesterday: Thought it was pretty good. Didn't blow me away or anything, and I found myself thinking they could have trimmed the total runtime down a bit, but clearly the film was made with a lot of heart and love for The Beatles' music. I only feel that they could have perhaps gone further and done more with the premise itself.

Stuber: Wasn't a huge fan of how many of the actions scenes were shot, but this one was otherwise thoroughly enjoyable and really funny for the most part.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6360 on: July 19, 2019, 08:45:36 AM »
A new girl I'm seeing got me to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy over the last few nights.   

I liked them way more than I thought I would. I liked the first movie the least. I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the final battle scene in the third movie. Things got kind of, physical, during that part.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6361 on: July 19, 2019, 09:56:28 PM »
Logan

Wow!  What a great flick.  An amazing final chapter to the story.  Pretty much perfect.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6362 on: July 20, 2019, 03:49:09 PM »
Saw the new Lion King last night. All of the criticisms of it we're pretty much spot on, but I still very much enjoyed it. No where near as good as the original, but it was still fun to see.

Also saw Stuber. A dumb, but fun comedy. It was good for quite a few laughs.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6363 on: July 28, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
I also saw the Lion King yesterday. I haven’t been keeping up with the general consensus of opinion, but apart from the visuals, which were very good, it really fell flat for me. It couldn’t get anywhere close to recapturing the magic of the original.

I felt exactly the same after Aladdin and The Jungle Book, so I’m probably done with these live action remakes now.

The best of the bunch for me has been Beauty and the Beast, but maybe that’s because I’ve only watched the original once or twice.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #6364 on: July 28, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »
Saw the Lion King remake a little awhile ago too. Yikes. That's mostly all I can say.

I mean, obviously this movie is very well made from a technical standpoint, but at the cost of grinding and watering down the soul and fun of the original. This new one just feels so.....joyless. That's the best word I can use to describe it.

The visuals are obviously impressive, but there's nothing about them that stand out at all. One step forward, two steps back for CG animation really.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6365 on: August 01, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »
The Wickerman with Nicholas Cage.  That is one screwed up movie, but we'll done! Or you could say that Cage was "well done" by the end of the movie.  Dang!  I wish they would make a sequel to get back at those crazy b*%#'s on that island.   :corn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6366 on: August 01, 2019, 03:49:48 PM »
The Wickerman with Nicholas Cage.  That is one screwed up movie, but we'll done! Or you could say that Cage was "well done" by the end of the movie.  Dang!  I wish they would make a sequel to get back at those crazy b*%#'s on that island.   :corn

Do yourself a favor and watch the original!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6367 on: August 01, 2019, 05:55:23 PM »
EDIT: Wrong thread!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6368 on: August 02, 2019, 02:03:49 AM »
Saw Edge of Tomorrow for the second time. Such a cool movie and I remember how diffrent the movie was compared to what I initially thought and I love at the start that you kind of think Tom plays a hardened soldier but then realise he's just a reporter.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6369 on: August 03, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »
Rewatched The Terminator for the first time a very long time. Holy crap, the soundtrack is awful.

I also watched the mid-90s gem Hackers the other day. Dated as hell of course based on the technology, but oddly, the thing that made it feel the most dated was the fact that all the cool kids rollerbladed all over the place.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:11:00 PM by lordxizor »