Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554394 times)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6160 on: February 04, 2019, 06:41:39 AM »
Free Solo - Who knew the best movie of 2018 with the word Solo in it would have been a documentary about a climber?
I saw this in Imax the other day. Fantastic film. I found the main guy to be fascinating in terms of his character as much as his athletic ability. The views of Yosemite were breathtaking. I need to go back there soon.
I been wanting to see that for a while but i'm not sure when it's available in my country.
Alex is a fascinating guy and i've seen a bunch of his other climbs on YT.
I thought it was great that the filmmakers really didn't hold back too much on his odd characteristics and tried to delve into his childhood a little bit to explain why he may be the way he is. They didn't dwell on it too much, but just enough to get a taste of what he's like. His personality and views on love, achievements, and death are so polar opposite to mine it was kind of fascinating to me. Of course, I am not even 10% as passionate about anything as he is about climbing mountains.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6161 on: February 04, 2019, 11:25:11 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edfw9ip9sCQ

If you liked Free Solo check out The Dawn Wall

Amazing movie and story of Tommy Caldwell

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6162 on: February 04, 2019, 12:08:37 PM »
Free Solo - Who knew the best movie of 2018 with the word Solo in it would have been a documentary about a climber?
I saw this in Imax the other day. Fantastic film. I found the main guy to be fascinating in terms of his character as much as his athletic ability. The views of Yosemite were breathtaking. I need to go back there soon.
I been wanting to see that for a while but i'm not sure when it's available in my country.
Alex is a fascinating guy and i've seen a bunch of his other climbs on YT.
I thought it was great that the filmmakers really didn't hold back too much on his odd characteristics and tried to delve into his childhood a little bit to explain why he may be the way he is. They didn't dwell on it too much, but just enough to get a taste of what he's like. His personality and views on love, achievements, and death are so polar opposite to mine it was kind of fascinating to me. Of course, I am not even 10% as passionate about anything as he is about climbing mountains.
Yea I think anyone being so passionate about something like him probably has other priorities in life. It's crazy how in my view he seems to completely lack any kind of fear of doing a mistake. I know that preperation is very important for those doing that kind of extreme sport but still there's also some form of luck no matter how prepared you are imo. That would be something I would have a very hard time to not think about when my life depends on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edfw9ip9sCQ

If you liked Free Solo check out The Dawn Wall

Amazing movie and story of Tommy Caldwell
Cool, didn't know about that. I've heard about Tommy Caldwell through Alex though. They all seems to be a tight-knit group.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6163 on: February 04, 2019, 02:37:28 PM »
They are all close with each other.

Also check out Meru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWzTqyMtSU

Jimmy Chin who did Free Solo also did this documentary

alex Hannold brief documentary

https://vimeo.com/213346147
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:35:27 PM by The Trooper »

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6164 on: February 06, 2019, 06:51:54 AM »
I saw They Shall Not Grow Old the other day. Peter Jackson's WWI documentary. It was pretty awesome. The technology they used to cleanup and colorize 100 year old footage was pretty amazing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6165 on: February 06, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
Incredibles 2

It was ok. The original is one of my favorite movies. The new one didn't blow me away.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6166 on: February 06, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
Ant Man and the Wasp - just as much fun as the first one. 

The Commuter - Liam Neeson action/thrillers are automatic watches for me. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6167 on: February 06, 2019, 08:15:02 PM »
So I had never watched a Fast and Furious movie. Then recently I saw the trailer for Hobbs and Shaw and thought it looked fun as well. So, being the completionist that I am, I have to watch every god damn F&F movie (not counting whatever little shorts exist too).

So I've watched the first two thus far.

They are not good movies. Paul Walker is an awful actor. The 2nd one was much more fun, but the first had a better plot. Both movies are garbage that get fun in the last 3rd.

Hoping it gets better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #6168 on: February 06, 2019, 10:26:36 PM »
Frankly I think from 4 onwards is when they get really fun and crazy, the stunts get wilder and grander with every movie.

Honestly I can't get enough of them and I enjoy them quite immensely. The story is way over the top as are the characters but it's such a fun viewing, the series is one my guilty pleasures.

The 2nd one is the only one that I can't stand. The 3rd has some bad acting but at least the car stunts are cool and has a semi-interesting story. The first one is a straight up car heist movie which is the simplest of them.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6169 on: February 07, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »
Showdown in Little Tokyo

Old school classic action cop movie.  If you like your action movie with a nice slice of cheese, this one is for you.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6170 on: February 09, 2019, 12:24:27 PM »
Alita-Battle Angel- Good movie. Special effects are great. 7-10
Cold Pursuit- Love me some Liam Neeson. Cool movie. Dark action/comedy if that makes sense. fun watch. 7-10

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6171 on: February 09, 2019, 12:31:12 PM »
Miss Bala-I love me some Gina Rodriguez. Fun action movie is what you can kind of just roll with it. Nothing great. but not bad. 5-10

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6172 on: February 09, 2019, 01:06:27 PM »
Watched Courageous last night after not having seen it in a LONG time.  I had forgotten just how good and how powerful it is.  I cried like a baby so many times!  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6173 on: February 10, 2019, 12:21:23 AM »

They are not good movies. Paul Walker is an awful actor. The 2nd one was much more fun, but the first had a better plot. Both movies are garbage that get fun in the last 3rd.

Nothing wrong with Paul Walkers acting.  He was quite good in the movie Eight Below, and he did just fine in the Fast-n-Furious movies. So sad what happened to him..(R.I.P)   :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

« Reply #6174 on: February 10, 2019, 05:48:35 AM »
I can only speak for the first two F&F movies, but he’s not good. Maybe he improves. I’ll see.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6175 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »
Fyre Festival / Netflix Documentary

Apparently Netflix and Hulu both released films on the failed festival, but Netflix's was apparently produced by the actual marketing firm that promoted the festival itself.  I knew nothing of this festival when its rise and downfall occurred, but this documentary was absolutely fascinating.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6176 on: February 11, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »
Fyre Festival / Netflix Documentary

Apparently Netflix and Hulu both released films on the failed festival, but Netflix's was apparently produced by the actual marketing firm that promoted the festival itself.  I knew nothing of this festival when its rise and downfall occurred, but this documentary was absolutely fascinating.

Might check it out after reading about it.

It's funny though, they just didn't listen and understand and got what they bargained for basically.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6177 on: February 12, 2019, 11:21:28 PM »
Just watched Wild Hogs for the first time. Pretty funny movie with a good cast!  :corn :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6178 on: February 13, 2019, 10:03:14 AM »
Just watched Wild Hogs for the first time. Pretty funny movie with a good cast:corn :lol

Tim Allen and John Travolta down? :P

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6179 on: February 14, 2019, 01:44:16 PM »
Watching the James Caan movie Thief from the early 80's.

Feels so much like I'm watching a prototype version a Heat. Its very rough around the edges and jumps real quick to new scenes and new plot points so its hard to follow. It was alright.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6180 on: February 15, 2019, 08:37:45 PM »
Finally got to watch ‘A Quiet Place’. Really liked it. A lot. Could easily be a sequel if they so desired.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #6181 on: February 15, 2019, 08:43:00 PM »
They do desire it and John krasiniski is helping writing it as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6182 on: February 15, 2019, 09:04:37 PM »
They do desire it and John krasiniski is helping writing it as well.

That’s cool. Seems like they could take it in any number of directions. I dug the suspense of the film big time.....but don’t know if they could capture that again.

Maybe they take the approach that Cameron took when following up ALIEN, which was largely a suspense movie. Cameron’s ALIENS was more Action/Thriller..... a good call not to try and emulate what the first movie was.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6183 on: February 16, 2019, 10:36:23 AM »
I found the movie average at best and sequels are the last thing the film industry needs right now.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6184 on: February 19, 2019, 12:35:32 PM »
Today I watched The Founder (Which details the history of Mcdonalds)

Mcdonalds is so ubiquitous and pervasive, yet I never knew the story behind its creation and growth. I never realized that the founding Mcdonald's brothers were pushed out of the business and Ray Kroc took the ball an ran with it. The whole situation was strong drama and This a great watch.

The brothers were bought out for 1 million each and despite being told (non contractually) that they would receive royalties (which would have been in the 100's of millions), they were never paid a cent according to the movie.

The take away from the movie for me is that if you have a great idea, be careful who you trust and protect yourself as much as possible, because there are plenty out there ready to take advantage of you.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:44:18 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6185 on: February 21, 2019, 06:48:08 AM »
Watched the Three Amigos last weekend. It had been a while since I seen that one. That movie is pretty funny.....lots of great little one liners and just silly humor.

Online Adami

« Reply #6186 on: February 21, 2019, 07:02:35 AM »
Watched the Three Amigos last weekend. It had been a while since I seen that one. That movie is pretty funny.....lots of great little one liners and just silly humor.

Would you say there were a ....plethora of one liners?

Lego Movie 2: Good. Not great. But good. very very very on the nose way too often, and some of the jokes just felt lazy. Batman was super clever in the first movie and his own, but when they're literally just listing actors that have played him, it feels lazy. The human stuff was pretty great, so kudos, and there was one line from Rex whatever that kind of flew by and raised a LOT of questions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6187 on: February 21, 2019, 07:36:38 AM »
Finally got to watch ‘A Quiet Place’. Really liked it. A lot. Could easily be a sequel if they so desired.

I've been wanting to watch this for awhile now. Waiting for it hit the streaming sites.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6188 on: February 23, 2019, 06:39:02 AM »
Finally got around to watching Solo; not quite as bad as I expected.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6189 on: February 23, 2019, 06:42:12 AM »
I rewatched this last night, saw it in the theaters as well. You know... I actually quite like it. I'm really bummed we (most likely) won't see where they were going to go with two more movies. It wasn't earth shattering or anything, but it was good. It was like the equivalent of Antman in the MCU: fun, entertaining, but not as "essential" as some of the other movies.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6190 on: February 23, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »
I rewatched this last night, saw it in the theaters as well. You know... I actually quite like it. I'm really bummed we (most likely) won't see where they were going to go with two more movies. It wasn't earth shattering or anything, but it was good. It was like the equivalent of Antman in the MCU: fun, entertaining, but not as "essential" as some of the other movies.

Yeah, one of the major challenges with any prequel is that the lead actor never can duplicate the charisma of the original.

Online Adami

« Reply #6191 on: February 23, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »
I don't think "not essential" was the main criticism for Solo. It wasn't garbage, but it wasn't good either. As a whole.

Anyway, saw The Favourite. Really terrific movie. Olivia Coleman might just deserve the Oscar for it, though we all know she's not getting it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6192 on: February 25, 2019, 12:25:22 PM »
Just watched Serenity with Matt Mccoughney (s/p) and Anne Hathaway. Nothing at all what I expected. Great movie. But I totally need to rewatch it to try and grasp it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6193 on: February 25, 2019, 03:56:41 PM »
Just watched Serenity with Matt Mccoughney (s/p) and Anne Hathaway. Nothing at all what I expected. Great movie. But I totally need to rewatch it to try and grasp it.
I was interested in this one until it got terrible reviews. Might still check it out when it comes out on DVD.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6194 on: February 27, 2019, 09:21:17 AM »
Felt like re-watching the film version of 1984 today. They made a decent version of my favorite book.