Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554779 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6125 on: January 01, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
Finally saw Alien: Covenant.  I understand the criticism.  It was everything I expected it to be (that is, confusing but often with a promise that it will all make sense later, but instead it didn't make any more sense later than it did while it was happening).  Mostly, it was just WTF for me.  Ridley Scott has lost his fucking mind.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #6126 on: January 02, 2019, 08:54:50 AM »
Saw both Aquaman and Bumblebee over the holiday break. Really enjoyed both. Thankful they finally got a Transformers movie correct. Bumblebee was better than expected.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6127 on: January 02, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »
Darkest Hour.  Fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6128 on: January 02, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
Saw Bumblebee today, quite a fun film, I'd really love to see them do a full re-launch in this style. The animation of the robots was excellent, really loved the retro approach.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6129 on: January 02, 2019, 09:37:23 PM »

Then, my oldest two have been begging to watch the John Carpenter ‘The Thing’....so we did. I forgot how great that movie was. And my oldest loved it also.

I am not a big horror movie guy, but The Thing is pretty damn great. :coolio

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6130 on: January 05, 2019, 06:26:18 PM »

Then, my oldest two have been begging to watch the John Carpenter ‘The Thing’....so we did. I forgot how great that movie was. And my oldest loved it also.

Hell yeah it is  :metal

Tied with The Shining as my favorite horror movie

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6131 on: January 06, 2019, 03:08:10 AM »
Natural Born Killers. Never saw it and I had nothing else to watch on Amazon Prime Video (a friend borrowed me his password for lack of time and I had to watch a movie to get him a discount). It's over saturated and super stylish to the point of being almost annoying, but all in all it's cool and fun, in its wicked satire of the glorification of violence by the mass media. The only dumb moment of the movie was when the guards all let their attention down as Mickey was telling his joke to distract them, they should have known better, but all in all it was a great movie.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6132 on: January 06, 2019, 05:59:31 PM »
Mary Poppins Returns.

It's interesting. It's.......a LOT like the original. Structurally it's almost identical for much of it. It definitely has all of the charm of the original. It's about 20-30 minutes too long, and a trim would have helped a lot. But overall, it's good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6133 on: January 09, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »
Bohemian Rhapsody.

I wept 70% of the time, had goosebumps 30%.

The lead actor deserves 3 Academy Awards: one for having played a fellow human being to perfection, another for having played a god to perfection, and yet another one for having played said god excercising its godly powers.

It's quite agiographic and vastly unfair at times, but I don't give a fock. I didn't go for a documentary.

Online Adami

« Reply #6134 on: January 09, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
Bohemian Rhapsody.

I wept 70% of the time, had goosebumps 30%.

The lead actor deserves 3 Academy Awards: one for having played a fellow human being to perfection, another for having played a god to perfection, and yet another one for having played said god excercising its godly powers.

It's quite agiographic and vastly unfair at times, but I don't give a fock. I didn't go for a documentary.

He was good. But I never saw Freddie, I just saw a guy playing Freddie. He was good though.

Just an awful script.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6135 on: January 12, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »
First Man, about Neil Armstrong.

I have to admit it was a bit boring, slow and with unnecessary family drama that maybe wasn't even historically accurate. But all the part about the landing.... oh boy, shivers  :hefdaddy for anyone interested in astronomy it's worth to sit down a quite uneventful movie just to finally get to the Moon landing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online faizoff

« Reply #6136 on: January 12, 2019, 05:06:45 PM »
I've read a lot of reviews and people saying the same thing about it being boring and slow paced etc.. I, on the other hand, LOVED all the family drama stuff. From what I read Neil's family said that was exactly the kinda man he was, very boring and straight forward. I think there was a lot more family drama that they left out like their house burned down in a fire. I think Ryan Gosling played exactly like how Neil the person was and this being a biopic did incredible justice to his portrayal I felt.

In any case, the ship sequences were absolutely breathtaking and the sound design on this movie was insane. I truly regret not having watched this on Imax when it came out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6137 on: January 13, 2019, 03:15:03 AM »
Uh well, if it was actually accurate, the better then. And yeah, the ship scenes... the soundtrack was spot on. Very impressive.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6138 on: January 13, 2019, 08:51:56 AM »
SPLIT. I liked it. That actor did a great job of playing multiple personalities. Supposed to go see GLASS with my brothers next Friday so I needed to see this one first.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #6139 on: January 13, 2019, 08:55:31 AM »
SPLIT. I liked it. That actor did a great job of playing multiple personalities. Supposed to go see GLASS with my brothers next Friday so I needed to see this one first.

Don't forget to re-watch Unbreakable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6140 on: January 13, 2019, 09:10:26 AM »

Don't forget to re-watch Unbreakable.

No kidding. I need to. I bet it’s been at least 7-8 years since I’ve seen it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6141 on: January 13, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »
Split was fantastic. I was amazed by James McAvoy's performance, he truly looked like he embodied all those personalities. I'm cautiously optimistic about Glass, the critic reviews so far have been punishing so I'm not sure what to expect.

I too have to rewatch unbreakable, haven't seen it since I first saw it in theaters when it came out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6142 on: January 13, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
Wait, what?  Is there some relationship between those three movies, so that it helps if you watch them in a certain order?

Online faizoff

« Reply #6143 on: January 13, 2019, 12:28:31 PM »
They exist in the same universe. So it will help watching in order. I guess it's the final movie of a trilogy.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6144 on: January 13, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »
Hellfest

I thought this was pretty good.  If you like old school cheesy horror movies from the 70s and 80s, I can see you liking this one.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6145 on: January 13, 2019, 06:50:45 PM »
They exist in the same universe. So it will help watching in order. I guess it's the final movie of a trilogy.

Yes, Split is in the same universe as Unbreakable, and Glass is a sequel to both.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6146 on: January 13, 2019, 09:55:32 PM »
Watched RAMPAGE with the kiddos. Of course they loved the blow em up monster fighting bang bang stuff.....but what a laughably bad movie. If you go in to it with the lowest of expectations it’s just a silly/fun little movie.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6147 on: January 13, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »

Yes, Split is in the same universe as Unbreakable, and Glass is a sequel to both.

Thanks!  I had no idea.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6148 on: January 15, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
Doing my annual best pictures I think will get Oscar nods.

I get screeners so after football weekend I have been binging:

Blackklansmen- Phenomenol movie. Wont get the critics votes, But solid acting all araound.
Roma- understatement of a beautiful film by an incredible director.
Destroyer- Nicole Kidman is incredible. A bit predictable but she makes the film
Vice- Christian Bale is phenomenal. Maybe the best acting performance since Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York, Not a movie for everyone but solid.
Green Book- Best movie of the year. Should win best picture.  Totally solid movie.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6149 on: January 15, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
Doing my annual best pictures I think will get Oscar nods.

I get screeners so after football weekend I have been binging:

Blackklansmen- Phenomenol movie. Wont get the critics votes, But solid acting all araound.
Roma- understatement of a beautiful film by an incredible director.
Destroyer- Nicole Kidman is incredible. A bit predictable but she makes the film
Vice- Christian Bale is phenomenal. Maybe the best acting performance since Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York, Not a movie for everyone but solid.
Green Book- Best movie of the year. Should win best picture.  Totally solid movie.

I'm not sure I've ever even heard of any of these movies.

I went back and looked at the lists of "best picture" nominees for the past 15 years.  I've seen only 12 of the however many movies were nominated over that time.  And there are maybe only 2-3 that I haven't seen that I had or have any interest in seeing.  I'm not sure what to make of that other than that I apparently have no interest in whatever "the academy" thinks is a good movie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #6150 on: January 15, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »

John Carpenter's remake of The Thing is one of my favorite horror movies of all time  :tup

So I just watched Ex Machina for probably the 4th or 5th time the other day... it's one of the best movies I've seen in the last decade. I highly recommend any fan of the Sci-Fi/Thriller genre to check it out. It's on Netflix.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6151 on: January 16, 2019, 03:29:44 AM »
So I watched Cam on Netflix last night and I can't stop thinking about it. Anyone seen this too and feels this way? I watched an "Ending explained" video and it just brought up more questions (the dates in the video!).

I'd really like to know what you guys make of this movie. Or if anyone could help me understand it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6152 on: January 16, 2019, 06:33:06 AM »
So I watched Cam on Netflix last night and I can't stop thinking about it. Anyone seen this too and feels this way? I watched an "Ending explained" video and it just brought up more questions (the dates in the video!).

I'd really like to know what you guys make of this movie. Or if anyone could help me understand it.

Woah.....just watched the trailer and that movie looks ate up! I’ll throw that one on the ‘to watch’ list and get to it.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6153 on: January 20, 2019, 08:15:43 AM »
If Beale Street Could Talk - it was good, but probably not as good as the hype. It was a bit slow at times.

Glass - I enjoyed this a lot. Not sure why it's been getting mediocre reviews. I thought it was good.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #6154 on: January 20, 2019, 10:57:25 PM »
Dragon Ball Super: Broly
Not sure how many on the forum even care about anime, but as a long time fan of the series, got damn this was a ride. Honestly, probably the best Dragon Ball related content in a long time, I loved every second of it.

Online Adami

« Reply #6155 on: February 02, 2019, 03:09:51 PM »
Free Solo - Who knew the best movie of 2018 with the word Solo in it would have been a documentary about a climber?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6156 on: February 02, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »
My youngest son and I had a night out together last night and went and saw that ‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse’.  I thought it was a pretty cool movie. Very neat to see.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6157 on: February 03, 2019, 02:13:14 PM »
Free Solo - Who knew the best movie of 2018 with the word Solo in it would have been a documentary about a climber?
I saw this in Imax the other day. Fantastic film. I found the main guy to be fascinating in terms of his character as much as his athletic ability. The views of Yosemite were breathtaking. I need to go back there soon.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6158 on: February 03, 2019, 03:48:02 PM »
I saw this in Imax the other day. Fantastic film. I found the main guy to be fascinating in terms of his character as much as his athletic ability. The views of Yosemite were breathtaking. I need to go back there soon.
I been wanting to see that for a while but i'm not sure when it's available in my country.
Alex is a fascinating guy and i've seen a bunch of his other climbs on YT.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6159 on: February 03, 2019, 04:23:14 PM »
Glass

It was very decent. I still love Unbreakable a whole lot more, but glass was a solid movie.