Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554311 times)

Online Polarbear

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5985 on: October 21, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »
Django Unchained - What can I say, I love it to bits!

Rashomon(1950) - I was intrigued the whole way through! Makes me excited to check out rest of Akira Kurosawa's filmography, especially Seven Samurai.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5986 on: October 21, 2018, 12:23:18 PM »
Step Brothers

This is a really funny movie overall.  But I've always found the first half to be hilarious, but the second half loses some steam.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5987 on: October 21, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
Django Unchained - What can I say, I love it to bits!

I took a girl to see that on a first date. She swore she loved Tarantino. There was no 2nd date  :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5988 on: October 22, 2018, 04:48:38 AM »
Saw Doom (2005) yesterday, not total horseshit and I was craving some braindead action so I was pleased afterall.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5989 on: October 22, 2018, 10:42:00 AM »
Siberia with Keano Reeves.  I do not recommend this movie, Lame abrupt ending. :tdwn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5990 on: October 23, 2018, 09:21:17 AM »
I finally got around to watching The Breakfast Club.   

That movie might have the best Cost To Make : Entertainment ratio of anything I've seen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5991 on: October 23, 2018, 10:24:38 AM »

That movie might have the best Cost To Make : Entertainment ratio of anything I've seen.

great movie

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5992 on: October 23, 2018, 01:21:22 PM »

I thought Blair Witch won that title? lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5993 on: October 23, 2018, 04:08:55 PM »
Saw the original halloween and the New Halloween at a Drive-In the other day. The original is still one of my favorites and John Carpenter is my favorite director.

The New one was pretty good. It's a good old 80's slasher flick for a modern audience. In that regard it really does nothing new but it's refreshing since we don't really get R Rated mainstream slasher flicks anymore. The last one that I remember getting a wide release was Scream 4.

Really my only major complaint with the new one is that it's a bit obvious that the original cut was over 2 hours long and was cut down to an hour forty. There's one subplot that comes up really suddenly and is resolved within ten minutes.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5994 on: October 26, 2018, 03:30:24 PM »
Psycho. Yeah, that one. For the first time ever. Yeah, it's possible to not have seen all the important and iconic movies there are out there.

Spoilers if there's somebody else in the world like me who never saw it I guess:

Well, I said before it was important and iconic... and after having seen it it's quite clear why! classic movie very well deservingly of the fame it got. The theme at the beginning made me think of Dream Theater shows of old of course :D what I knew about the movie was just that there was this Norman Bates dude in a motel and the twist, so at least I could follow the story without knowing every bit. I was wondering when the motel would come into play, and I was surprised at how normal at the beginning Norman looked. And while of course - the other thing I knew - I was expecting the infamous shower scene, I didn't expect the female protagonist to die mid-film.

I think the action scenes were kinda meh - sure, it was 1960, let's cut ol' Alfred a break, but the killings and the fights really look over-staged. And I think that it was too convenient to have random officer explaining all of Norman's psyche at the end, they should have showed his interrogation. But at least I had a moment of legitimate scary surprise with the big reveal - I knew that Norman Bates was impersonating his mother, but I thought he made a puppet of her, foreshadowed by his stuffing of birds, not that he DIG OUT HER OWN ROTTING CORPSE FFS. That and Norman jumping in with the knife shortly after.... holy shit!

I can only imagine what it looked like back in the day, and I also assume there was some "scandal" for what I think at the time was considered very provoking "nudity". A great film, I'm kinda sad that it's so famous that even without seeing it I knew who Norman Bates was, but as I said at least I got some genuine surprises there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #5995 on: November 02, 2018, 04:42:13 AM »
The new, A Star is Born. It was really good. Well acted, directed, filmed, all the things.
Pretty sure I have a man-crush on Bradley Cooper now. Lady Gaga is a tremendous talent in all aspects.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5996 on: November 03, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »
Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's..........good. Not great. It's a real shame. The performances are really fantastic. The directing is mostly good. The writing though....it's basically a VH-1 made for TV movie script that got the Hollywood treatment.

It was watered down. VERY safe. Skipped most of the important parts. Just very meh script.

Decent movie, I'd recommend it, but don't expect anything amazing outside of the performances.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5997 on: November 04, 2018, 12:16:03 AM »
Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's..........good. Not great. It's a real shame. The performances are really fantastic. The directing is mostly good. The writing though....it's basically a VH-1 made for TV movie script that got the Hollywood treatment.

It was watered down. VERY safe. Skipped most of the important parts. Just very meh script.

Decent movie, I'd recommend it, but don't expect anything amazing outside of the performances.

I found it very enjoyable as a movie, but as a bio, it was very altered to fit a certain story. And the Live Aid recreation was amazing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5998 on: November 04, 2018, 09:14:14 AM »
Saw Bohemian Rhapsody as well. I liked it, though I know very little of the true story.

Online Adami

« Reply #5999 on: November 04, 2018, 10:10:05 AM »
Bohemian Rhapsody.

I found it very enjoyable as a movie, but as a bio, it was very altered to fit a certain story. And the Live Aid recreation was amazing.

The Live Aid stuff was amazing indeed. I just wish the rest of the movie was as good. Though honestly, it didn't stand a chance.

It should have been a 6-8 episode miniseries on HBO or something. Really get into the details. Don't go from "Freddie joins the band, they make their first album in a few hours, they're huge, they make Night at the Opera, they break up, Freddie gets AIDS, Live Aid, end." It's too much too fast and most of their career and lives were just skipped.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6000 on: November 04, 2018, 04:06:14 PM »
Yeah, maybe they needed to focus on a narrower timeline of their history. I agree it was a little rushed. It basically covered like 15 years of their history.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6001 on: November 04, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »
I just saw Bogemian Rapshody as well. I liked it, could’ve been better but it does a good job in showing their diverse catalog and give people a general sense of the story. The performances were great and gwilym Lee was pretty good.

Side note: I was honestly surprised to see the movie was PG13.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6002 on: November 05, 2018, 10:34:24 AM »
Randomly watched the Lady gaga Documentary "Five foot Two"

Very entertaining. Wow is she an emotional roller coaster, lol. But she makes decent art, so I'll give her a pass. There's one part in the doc where she randomly walks into a Walmart and her new album isn't completely on the front display, so she complains to the clerk and manager and manually, herself personally starts putting her album all over and in front of the other albums on the front display, lol. Damn.

There's one moment in the doc where Florence welch shows up for a min. Total contrast. Florence is just chill and elegant. Next to gaga who is on like meltdown number 15...

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6003 on: November 10, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »
The Girl in the Spider's Web - it was ok I guess. Not nearly as good as the first one.

Overlord - pretty fun movie, Nazi WWII movie meets zombie horror. Basically a b movie, but pretty well done.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6004 on: November 10, 2018, 03:23:46 PM »
I Still See You. Quite good story actually, it could have been another teen drama with some fantasy thrown in but it was good. The premise is that there's a freak accident in a superlab that makes scores of people disappear but you can still see them as "ghosts" for some minutes doing the same thing over and over. The protagonist sees a random one appear and apparently be sentient, like these ghosts aren't supposed to do, and mysteries ensue. Nothing earth shattering but worth a watch.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6005 on: November 10, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
Outlaw King

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6006 on: November 12, 2018, 06:31:18 AM »
Outlaw King

I watched that as well and thought it was pretty solid - it was fun to see a couple of actors from Game of Thrones in the film.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6007 on: November 14, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
Just saw The Meg last night. It just came out on bluray yesterday. It was an actually a suspenseful and we'll done movie. Definitely worth having in the library.
There is still much room for improvement in the world of CGI, even though the movie is still pretty great..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6008 on: November 20, 2018, 10:13:42 PM »
Saw The Crimes of Grindelwald today, very very good flick. Can't say more without getting into spoiler range, but it matches up against any of the HP flicks easily in my eyes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6009 on: November 21, 2018, 08:33:04 AM »
Saw The Crimes of Grindelwald today, very very good flick. Can't say more without getting into spoiler range, but it matches up against any of the HP flicks easily in my eyes.

Classic middle movie in a trilogy.  I loved it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #6010 on: November 21, 2018, 08:35:37 AM »
Huh. I never saw the first one, and I didn't get into the Harry Potter movies (they were cool though) but I've heard mostly negative reviews of the new one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6011 on: November 21, 2018, 10:37:00 AM »
Who listens to critics anyway?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #6012 on: November 21, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
Who listens to critics anyway?

I do. Not all the time. But I can't afford to see every movie. So they help cut that list down a little bit. For instance with Robin Hood (the new one). The trailers looked awful to me. Just awful. But if the critics that I trust (not just random ones) said that it was amazing, despite bad trailers, I'd give it a shot. And vice versa.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6013 on: November 21, 2018, 10:58:28 AM »
If I see poor all across the board then yeah, I'll skip.  That being said, I think I'd know that from seeing trailers anyway. 

If it's a mixed bag then I watch and I come to a conclusion.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6014 on: November 21, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »

Classic middle movie in a trilogy.  I loved it.
Except it's going to be 5 movies, I believe. I think that was my one negative from the movie. It was to clearly a middle movie. There wasn't enough of an ending to it. But I guess that's to be expected to some degree. All the HP movies had a natural ending because of a school year so they all worked.

Online Adami

« Reply #6015 on: November 21, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
If I see poor all across the board then yeah, I'll skip.  That being said, I think I'd know that from seeing trailers anyway. 

If it's a mixed bag then I watch and I come to a conclusion.

You'd think so, about the trailers, but not always. I'll admit I thought Suicide Squad looked awesome from the trailers. Then the movie.....wow. Or the movie Mother! I liked the movie a lot, but the trailers very very meh. So I can only trust trailers so much.

I also feel you on the mixed bag thing, but it's more nuanced than that. For instance with Robin Hood (Cause why not?),  most people seemed to hate it, and some seemed to like it. That's technically a mixed bag. But then I look at what they're saying, beyond just good and bad.

When the negative comments are essentially that the movie is poorly written, unoriginal, dumb, trite, and ripped off other movies, and the positive comments are essentially that the movie is loud and fun if you turn off your brain, then I don't weigh those two things the same. You know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6016 on: November 21, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »
I get it. It's sad that we only go out for the bombastic,  visual driven movies these days.  I watch the story driven at home.

Online Adami

« Reply #6017 on: November 21, 2018, 12:02:30 PM »
I get it. It's sad that we only go out for the bombastic,  visual driven movies these days.  I watch the story driven at home.

Honestly? I love going for the small films. I traveled an hour to see Eight Grade in theaters. Loved it. But living in Grand Forks is limiting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6018 on: November 21, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »
No indie theaters around us anymore. Sadly.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6019 on: November 21, 2018, 12:29:58 PM »
The Meg

Liked it better than I thought I would!  Characters were good and the visuals were great without looking cheesy.  I guess that's what a budget does as compared to Sharknado lol.