Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554403 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5565 on: April 14, 2018, 08:08:58 AM »
I thought Sicario was pretty good, nothing really special, but I liked it. I don't quite understand how someone can hate Arrival though.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5566 on: April 14, 2018, 10:57:30 AM »
Just came back from Ready Player One!

Holy shit, what a great film. A true return to form for Spielberg! It was exciting, visually breathtaking, well acted across the board and I was genuinely moved during couple of the scenes.

Believe the hype! :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5567 on: April 14, 2018, 12:10:37 PM »
I thought Sicario was pretty good, nothing really special, but I liked it. I don't quite understand how someone can hate Arrival though.
I don't hate it, but Arrival is too cheesy and melodramatic imo, with some pretty bland characters and very convenient plot resolutions.

Chuck, the only Hollywood thing about Blade Runner 2049 is the budget - trailers made it seem like an action movie, but it's really a slow art house film, with astonishing photography and special effects. Damn good movie.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5568 on: April 14, 2018, 12:12:27 PM »
Oh Brother Where Art Thou, from the Cohen Brothers.
:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5569 on: April 14, 2018, 02:18:52 PM »
Just came back from Ready Player One!

Holy shit, what a great film. A true return to form for Spielberg! It was exciting, visually breathtaking, well acted across the board and I was genuinely moved during couple of the scenes.

Believe the hype! :metal

Totally agree. I've watched it twice now and loved it both times.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5570 on: April 14, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »
Saw Jumanji 2. What were all the massive complaints about? I remember reading a comment "Jumanji 2 is like someone dragging the corpse of the clown that entertained him as a kid 20 years ago". I expected the same story of the first movie with bad CGI... it's nothing like that. They adapted it for modern times and they actually IMPROVED the storyline. Yeah, the first was great and it had Robin Williams, but what was the point of the game? chose in how many ways you can die horribly? the game of the second movie actually had a plot and a mission to complete, and the players becoming avatars was a brilliant idea.

Sure, the school things are as stereotypical as it can get, but the movie was the right mix of comedy and action, and the game context gave them actually the excuse to do all the badass things the characters do, rather than the trope of "Guy with no training takes down 40 enemies". Loved the scene of not-Jack Black teaching the hot girl who was actually shy and inexperienced how to flirt  :lol

Really, one of the best sequels there could ever be. I can't think of any other better approach (videogame with live avatars) that could have worked.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5571 on: April 14, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
Saw Jumanji 2. What were all the massive complaints about?
There have been massive complaints? I've heard nothing but good things and I enjoyed it.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5572 on: April 14, 2018, 04:04:17 PM »
Haven't seen Jumanji 2 myself, but the wife and kids did and really enjoyed it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5573 on: April 14, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
Saw Jumanji 2. What were all the massive complaints about?
There have been massive complaints? I've heard nothing but good things and I enjoyed it.

Same. I mean there’s always someone who hates everything but J2 was a huge success.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5574 on: April 14, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
Well, then I must have overstated the complaints here and there I've seen on FB. As I said, I still remembered that comment about the movie was like the corpse of the clown that 20 years ago entertained you as a kid. Well, at least I was braced for an half failure and I got a very entertaining movie!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5575 on: April 14, 2018, 04:21:20 PM »
Jumanji 2 was genuinely enjoyable, I was surprised actually. Not gonna say it was great but it was a pretty solid blockbuster movie that didn't ruin the original but actually felt like a nice passing-of-the-torch.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5576 on: April 14, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »
Der Siebente Kontinent (1989): 10/10  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online ozzy554

« Reply #5577 on: April 15, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
The Bird With the Crystal Plumage (1970)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5578 on: April 15, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »
Saw the final Maze Runner movie yesterday. I actually like that series. Certainly no Godfather, but they’re fun in a way that even I can enjoy. Especially this last one.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #5579 on: April 16, 2018, 01:39:32 AM »
Furious 7, or Fast and the Furious 7, or 7 Fast 7 Furious or whatever the fuck it's called. Brain-bendingly, obnoxiously stupid. I like some dumb movies but it somehow managed to both be cartoonishly silly and take itself REALLY seriously at the same time

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5580 on: April 16, 2018, 07:26:33 AM »
Justice League.

Not nearly as horrible as I'd been led to believe.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5581 on: April 16, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »
Justice League.

Not nearly as horrible as I'd been led to believe.

I agree. Best of the DC series alongside Wonder Woman.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5582 on: April 16, 2018, 10:46:52 AM »
I don't know. I think I liked Man of Steel more than Justice League too, but that really isn't saying a lot. Wonder Woman is still the best of the bunch though, despite its flaws.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5583 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »
DC is not in an enviable position.  They have to catch up with Marvel Studios, who have like a 10-year head start building their universe.  And while DC has some pretty iconic characters, there have already been so many versions of Superman and Batman that people are sick of them before the movie has even started, then you have the inevitable comparisons to older, loved versions.  Meanwhile, Marvel has some lesser-known heroes, but had the smarts to kick things off with Robert Downey, Jr. who was just about perfect as Iron Man/Tony Stark, and the quality level has rarely dipped since.  Also, DC can't just copy Marvel's approach, because they'd get slammed for just copying Marvel's approach.  So somehow it has to be different, yet do the same things.

I thought Justice League did a decent job of introducing a lot of characters, establishing the group dynamics, and even presenting a pretty decent plot, all in two hours.  Yeah, Steppenwolf was kinda silly and all CG, but he could have been worse.  Overall I was entertained for two hours, and that's all that matters.

Also, Wonder Woman in her black leather pants.  I think she was actually hotter in this one than before.  Sometimes it was so blatant that it was almost embarrassing watching it with my wife.  Almost.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5584 on: April 19, 2018, 03:51:08 AM »
Saw Burn After Reading from the Cohen brothers. At first I was like "Wasted evening", then eventually I was drawn in to the absurdity of the plot and the decisions of the stupid characters. As anticlimatic it may be, I love the final discussion between the CIA seniors trying in vain to make sense of the clusterfuck they found themselves into.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5585 on: April 21, 2018, 06:36:05 AM »
Miller's Crossing (1990): 6/10

Yeah.. one of mine Coen Brothers' least favorites.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5586 on: April 21, 2018, 08:15:03 AM »
I haven't seen every Coen brothers film, but of the ones I have seen, the best ones are undoubtedly:

The Big Lebowski
No Country for Old Men
Fargo

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5587 on: April 21, 2018, 08:16:26 AM »
I haven't seen every Coen brothers film, but of the ones I have seen, the best ones are undoubtedly:

The Big Lebowski
No Country for Old Men
Fargo

I personally didn't like No Country, but the other two are absolutely glorious.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5588 on: April 21, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »
My favorite's by them are

1. The hudsucker proxy (hidden gem imo and worth checking out is you like the brother's work)
2. Big labowski
3. Fargo
4. True grit

** I love most of No country. I will never give them a pass on jump cutting to what's his face's random, out of nowhere death. You don't have an hour long, suspense filled cat and mouse chase back and forth between 2 characters, just to throw ice cold water on me right before the pay off. But the rest of the movie was awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5589 on: April 21, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »
I get feeling that way the first time watching it, but upon rewatches and thinking more about the big picture, it was pretty awesome how they finished the movie. Sure, we could have gotten the cliched Hollywood ending where one guy kills the other on screen in dramatic fashion, but the Coens were thinking on a much deeper level.  Plus, it was made clear all along that the Mexicans were after Moss as well as Chigurh, and they got to him first.  I think Moss' death being off screen, to where all of a sudden the scene starts and the camera eventually pans to his dead body was absolutely brilliant, especially considering the scene that immediately precedes it (the gal joking to him about how no one ever sees what's coming).

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5590 on: April 21, 2018, 01:32:16 PM »

The Big Lebowski
No Country for Old Men
Fargo

I personally didn't like No Country, but the other two are absolutely glorious.
I didn't like Country either.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5591 on: April 21, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »
The Mummy, with Tom Cruise.  Fun for an action flick, but nowhere near as fun as the Brendan Frasier versions.  Too bad the Dark Universe is kaput now.  They had so much potential with that idea.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5592 on: April 22, 2018, 01:53:53 PM »
Dazed and Confused (1993): 10/10
Taking Off (1971): 9/10

R.I.P. Milos Forman  :hefdaddy

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5593 on: April 23, 2018, 02:42:32 AM »
For another episode of "Famous movies I never seen and I want to catch up"... The Hunt for Red October.

Pretty solid I must say. At first it didn't convince me but when the stakes were revealed the thing got exciting.

In a move of "let's pretend every actor plays the same character in every movie", we could say that James Bond outsmarts the entire russian navy AND Pennywise leaving him none the wiser  ;D

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5594 on: April 23, 2018, 05:55:30 AM »
Saw Super Troopers 2 over the weekend.

Solid sequel that did the first movie justice.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5595 on: April 23, 2018, 06:53:10 AM »
Paterno

HBO's biopic of the six days following the announcement of the Jerry Sandusky scandal and Joe Paterno's involvement.  Absolutely fantastic, and Pacino was great.

Spiderman: Homecoming

Another perfect movie from Marvel.  I'm now fully caught up, with the exception of Black Panther. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5596 on: April 24, 2018, 06:02:11 AM »
The remake of "It".   This movie is a epic failure due to the sound mix. During the quiet scenes you have to turn up the volume to hear them talk, then all of a sudden it would get ridiculously loud as soon as anything suspenseful or dramatic happened. Very poorly done, and the soundtrack blows!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5597 on: April 24, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »
American Made- Really enjoyed this. 9/10

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5598 on: April 24, 2018, 03:03:11 PM »
True Romance (1993): 9/10

Second time watching this. Fucking good.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5599 on: April 25, 2018, 05:22:29 AM »
True Romance (1993): 9/10

Second time watching this. Fucking good.

Top 3 movie of all-time in my books.

"If there's one thing I've learned, it's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have one".

I quote this line (substituting "gun" for pretty much anything) so frequently.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion