Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559939 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5530 on: March 21, 2018, 05:50:54 AM »
I, Tonya. Absolutely hilarious.   :lol
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5531 on: March 21, 2018, 06:20:40 AM »
Saw I, Tonya a few days ago too. It started off really strong, all the skate-stuff, and everything about Tonya and her mother was fantastic, but it lost me a bit in the middle when it started to focus on the boyfriend and his stuff.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5532 on: March 21, 2018, 08:26:21 PM »
The mask of Zorro with antonio banderas and Anthony Hopkins. I love this movie

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5533 on: March 23, 2018, 07:43:52 AM »
The Big Sick. Pretty enjoyable for what was essentially a romantic comedy.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5534 on: March 24, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »
Lady Bird. Was kinda OK, maybe I simply misinterpreted the advertising 'cause I got the idea it was about a girl rebelling against so many unjust and unfair attitudes, but it was "just" a coming of age story. Saoirse Ronan anyway was great, I noticed her in Lovely Bones and I'm glad she's got a carreer going, she was the clear highlight of the movie.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5535 on: March 24, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
Down By Law (1986): 7/10

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5536 on: March 26, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
Oh my gawd...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WCnZGFzwJY

Freejack- a wildly shitty future dystopian B movie from 92 starring Mick jagger, Emilio Estevez and Sir Anthony hopkins. How the hell am I just finding out about this?  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5537 on: March 26, 2018, 10:05:20 PM »
I love that movie.  So bad, it's good.

"Get the meat."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5538 on: March 27, 2018, 12:27:00 AM »
Gotta see Freejack now :lol Mick Jagger as the lead, this can only end well. :biggrin:

Finally had time to go see Black Panther last weekend. It was pretty good, not my favorite marvel movie but solid. The design of Wakanda was outstanding though. Also, high points for the soundtrack!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5539 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:06 AM »
Gotta see Freejack now :lol Mick Jagger as the lead, this can only end well. :biggrin:

Mick is the main bad guy; well, the one you see the most.  No real spoiler that he's working for an even bigger bad guy.  Emilio Estevez is the protagonist, and Hopkins is... well, it's kind of hard to explain.  You just have to see it.  Definite sci-fi angle there.  Also David Johansen as the friend and Rene Russo as the babe.  Perfect casting, really.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5540 on: March 27, 2018, 02:40:53 PM »
I'll watch anything with David Johansen  ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5541 on: March 27, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
Awesome!  My wife and I were just talking the other day about musicians who "reinvented" themselves or took on some alternate persona so that they could explore some other sides of things.  Country singer Garth Brooks created Chris Gaines and cut a regular rock album, there was another example that I can't think of right now, but David Johansen returning years later as Buster Poindexter was the best IMO.  Ironically, it was probably the least necessary, since it'd been decades since Johansen had a hit and no one knew who he was anymore anyway, but I remember when someone pointed out to me that Buster is David and I looked and went "Holy shit!"  :omg:

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5542 on: March 28, 2018, 06:07:54 AM »
Sex, Lies And Videotape (1989): 10/10

The Hunt For Red October (1990): 7/10

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5543 on: March 28, 2018, 08:01:51 AM »
Pacific Rim: Uprising

Not as good as the first one of course, but I went into it with little expectations other than seeing giant robots fighting giant monsters. It was pretty entertaining.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5544 on: March 28, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
The Death of Stalin

A satirical and funny reinvention of the aftermath of Stalin's death, in which the original characters act (and curse) like they were american, like the actors portraying them. It's an exageration of reality, but it kinda follows history and the actual persons involved. This comes from Armando Iannucci so if you like Veep, you find that kind of political satire also there, seamlessly applied to the soviet regime. And hey, you get to see Stalin dying and pissing his pants, it's always nice to see brutal dictators fail, isn't it?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5545 on: April 08, 2018, 12:30:46 AM »
Streets of fire from 1984 (with william defoe)

Oh boy, what a movie

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5546 on: April 08, 2018, 03:02:01 AM »
Recently saw Only Lovers Left Alive. It's probably the most boringly beautiful (or beautifully boring) movie I've ever seen.

Boring, because it's one of those movies where "nothing" happens, and two hours of moody settings can be a chore.
Beautiful, because it's a captivating and decadent story of two vampires living an ocean apart (him in Detroit, she in Tangiers), and eventually coming together to have nocturnal non-adventures and musings on their life. When I say "vampires" I don't mean it's a classic vampire movie - it's probably the most "vampire lore - less" movie out there. Also, the protagonists (a captivating and magnetic Tilda Swinton and an exagerately hot Tom Hiddleston, I don't say I question my heterosexuality seeing him in this movie, but if the Genie does appear and asks me how I want to look, I'd probably say "Like Tom Hiddleston in Only Lovers Left Alive") basically carry the movie, and they give stellar performances.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5547 on: April 09, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »
택시운전사 (A Taxi Driver) (2017): 8/10  :hefdaddy

Clear History (2013): 3/10

What We Do In The Shadows (2014): 6/10  :metal

Straw Dogs (1975): 7/10  :metal

Six Shooter (2004): 9/10  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:45:37 PM by ChuckSteak »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5548 on: April 10, 2018, 06:20:40 AM »
A Quiet Place. I'm not really a horror fan at all, but this was pretty good. Fairly unique premise. The silence of the movie really drew out the suspense. IN the end I thought it followed a pretty normal formula for this type of movie, but it was still good.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5549 on: April 10, 2018, 07:55:15 PM »
Blockers.  I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.  My stomach is killing me right now.  Not sure how it got away with a 14A rating... full frontal of slim jim and the twins I thought would've made it a hard - HARD - R.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5550 on: April 11, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »
A Quiet Place. I'm not really a horror fan at all, but this was pretty good. Fairly unique premise. The silence of the movie really drew out the suspense. IN the end I thought it followed a pretty normal formula for this type of movie, but it was still good.

definitely want to see this one. Looks good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5551 on: April 11, 2018, 07:43:31 PM »
Red Dragon

You know, I think I have finally warmed up to this movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it and Ray Fiennes is so damn good. I love the story, so its nice to have two separate movies that offer two distinct flavors.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5552 on: April 12, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »

definitely want to see this one. Looks good.
Yea it looks really cool, will try to see it this weekend.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5553 on: April 12, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »
The Florida Project - So god damn good. Took me a while to find a way to see it without buying it. Worth the wait. This movie felt like I was just looking at these people's lives. As in it didn't feel like acting or even following a script, it felt like these people were just being themselves. Defoe is amazing of course, but I totally didn't almost break down at the end.

Love, Simon - Loved it. Just a really great, clever movie. Touched on some good LGBT ideas that haven't really been represented in mainstream media. Great movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5554 on: April 13, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »
Incendies (2010): 10/10  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I can't even believe it is the same director who made Sicario and Arrival

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5555 on: April 13, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »
Kill Bill vol 1 fundamentally changed my life. It was the inspiration for me going to film school and I've watched it countless times

Kill Bill vol 2 was just ok. Seen it maybe twice in my life

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5556 on: April 13, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »

Got that one pending, nice.

He also made Blade Runner 2049 ( :metal ) and the very weird but interesting Enemy.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5557 on: April 13, 2018, 08:19:59 PM »
The Dead Pit (1989)

Ghostkeeper (1981)

Redneck Zombies (1989)

Deep red (1975)

Ready Player One
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5558 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:07 PM »
Kill Bill vol 1 fundamentally changed my life. It was the inspiration for me going to film school and I've watched it countless times

Kill Bill vol 2 was just ok. Seen it maybe twice in my life

It's interesting how the two films are clearly parts of the same story, yet are also very different from each other in tone, pacing, etc.

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #5559 on: April 14, 2018, 02:28:22 AM »

I agree about Incendies. I was blown away by it.

But are you saying Sicario and Arrival aren't good? Sicario would be in my top 5 or 10 favourite movies.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5560 on: April 14, 2018, 02:42:00 AM »

Got that one pending, nice.

He also made Blade Runner 2049 ( :metal ) and the very weird but interesting Enemy.
I haven't watched the new Blade Runner yet, but I guess Incendies is the best movie he's ever done.

I agree about Incendies. I was blown away by it.

But are you saying Sicario and Arrival aren't good? Sicario would be in my top 5 or 10 favourite movies.
I found both horrible. In comparison to Incendies, they are nothing. I don't know about Blade Runner, but since Denis stepped into Hollywood, the quality went downhill.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5561 on: April 14, 2018, 05:53:04 AM »
Your Name. or Kimi No Na Wa.

I will never get tired of this movie.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5562 on: April 14, 2018, 06:28:59 AM »
I've been on a Russian space drama kick this week for some reason. :blob:

First up was Spacewalk (aka The Age of Pioneers), about the first spacewalk on the Voskhod 2 mission in 1965. I quite enjoyed that one.

Next was Salyut 7, about the 1985 mission to bring the Salyut 7 space station back to life after it lost power. That was excellent overall, with very good CG, and felt inspired by the style of Gravity and Apollo 13. The only thing that dragged it down slightly was the corny as fuck ending with the US space shuttle saluting them. :lol There was plenty of creative license here, but it still made for a great space movie in its own right.

Then I watched Gagarin: First in Space, which was obviously about Yuri Gagarin, and being the first man in space/orbit. Great casting for Gagarin, and it was enjoyable overall, although the flight itself was not all that exciting for a film. A good biopic that pretty well captures a lot of the moments I've seen footage of, but unfortunately the subtitles I had were garbage.

I'd definitely recommend Salyut 7 to anyone who's into space films, and the other two are probably worth a watch too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5563 on: April 14, 2018, 06:37:53 AM »
Oh Brother Where Art Thou, from the Cohen Brothers.

Funny enough I'd say. The style of an ancient fable with "mythical" encounters adapted to the '30s during the Great Depression following three convicts escaped from jail.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5564 on: April 14, 2018, 06:54:02 AM »
Oh Brother Where Art Thou, from the Cohen Brothers.

Funny enough I'd say. The style of an ancient fable with "mythical" encounters adapted to the '30s during the Great Depression following three convicts escaped from jail.

I love that movie!

"There's a feller in there who'll pay you ten dollars to sing into his can!"
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens