Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 558129 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5040 on: August 19, 2017, 07:22:22 AM »
That's it but here it is,

I go to visit my buddy working at an old defunct store called Zayres. So the big district manager is coming and he's walking around the building and they were rushing around to get people to have name tags on them so of course my buddy and I just watched Fletch so he gets a name tag that says T Nugent and of course the district manager comes up and goes hello mr. Nugent how are you?

We laughed for days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5041 on: August 19, 2017, 07:29:31 AM »

I go to visit my buddy working at an old defunct store called Zayres. So the big district manager is coming and he's walking around the building and they were rushing around to get people to have name tags on them so of course my buddy and I just watched Fletch so he gets a name tag that says T Nugent and of course the district manager comes up and goes hello mr. Nugent how are you?

We laughed for days.

Well done.  :tup :tup

You should have gotten a name tag and put Claude Henry Smoot on it.  :coolio

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5042 on: August 19, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »

We laughed for days.

Well done.  :tup :tup

You should have gotten a name tag and put Claude Henry Smoot on it.  :coolio

Ben Dover would have been better.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5043 on: August 20, 2017, 01:52:41 AM »
The Dark Tower. Big meh.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5044 on: August 20, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
The new Mummy movie, with Tom Cruise. Didn't think I'd like it, but it was actually a lot of fun. 5,6 on IMDb is a crazy low score.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5045 on: August 20, 2017, 07:27:11 PM »
The hitmans bodyguard, it was a fun decent movie. One thing that bothered me was some of the music during the action sequences, it felt out of place. It could just be the mix.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5046 on: August 23, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »
Keeping Up with the Jones's. Pretty funny, and my lord is Gal Gadot hot. The other lead gal was also very attractive. The lingerie scene makes this a must watch.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5047 on: August 25, 2017, 03:16:36 AM »
Last two were Annabelle Creation and The Dark Tower, both were good.
Annabelle I will watch again when the DVD is released, The Dark Tower not so much.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5048 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:57 PM »
Death Note (US Netflix version)

Fucking garbage. :lol
The Japanese story was a psychological game of back and forth between two careful, calculating masterminds. The American one is Final Destination style gore from an impulsive vengeful school kid with zero intelligence, being chased by a guy who somehow instantly made the giant leap to figuring out and accepting that people are being killed by supernatural means that requires a name and a face, and almost instantly narrowed it down to one suspect. None of the clever deduction, none of the clever attempts to stay a step ahead of their adversary, nothing.
Most of the Death Note rules that made the original so good have been completely cut, or changed into dumb ideas.
The original ends in a battle of wits, seeing who thought more moves ahead. This one ends with a chase sequence and failed teen romance.
And there were a few seconds of Ryuk somewhere in there.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5049 on: August 26, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
That sucks. I was hoping it'd be good, but of course I was pretty sure it would suck. I don't think I'm even gonna watch it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5050 on: August 26, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
I second that. That sucks big time. I love Death note and was hoping this new version would have been decent.

Oh well. At the very least, I enjoyed Defoe's acting.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 03:48:46 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5051 on: August 26, 2017, 11:17:44 PM »
Dafoe was well cast and did a good job, but I don't think the characterization was very good, and he got barely any screen time. He felt kind of redundant to the story.
I don't care that the movie strayed from the source material and did its own thing, but it was a bad movie in its own right, and threw away so much potential.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5052 on: August 27, 2017, 06:50:59 AM »
I just saw the 3D re-release of Terminator 2. I had zero interest in it for 3D, but I couldn't pass up the chance to see one of my favourite movies on the big screen. I didn't realize, but it was the theatrical cut, not either of the two more recent director's cuts. It's been a long time since I've seen this version.
The 3D post conversion was well done overall, at least for the foregrounds. The far backgrounds were noticeably flat when they didn't expect you'd be looking at it, and they had trouble with anything transparent, like smoke/fire/glass/fences/liquid metal killing machines, so they looked off. A couple of shots were completely flat with no depth at all. This is the first 3D movie I've been forced to see, so I'm glad it was a movie I was familiar with, because it was more of a distraction than anything else. Still an amazing movie though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5053 on: August 27, 2017, 07:06:38 AM »
Inferno

Tom Hanks as Professor Robert Langdon in the latest (?) Dan Brown mystery/adventure/travelogue flick.  I thought it was pretty good.  Starts off in a way that grabs you and pulls you in (same trick I've encountered at least two or three times in literature, but it's still a good hook), and has plenty of twists and turns along the way.  Actually, I believe more twists and turns than any of the previous ones.  And Felicity Jones is insanely cute, so that didn't hurt.

4 weird religious artifacts out of 5.  Would watch again, but probably only once to see how much difference it makes knowing ahead of time who and what people really are.  After that, sometimes it's all spoiled by the second time.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5054 on: August 28, 2017, 04:30:14 AM »
Watched Alien: Covenant, it was quite Ok, but I guess it's for die-hard fans, I don't see the appeal of basically redoing the same movie with a twist and the prequel framing.

I also re-watched Rango, that's absolutely great, a visually stunning comedy-western animated movie, the perfect one to watch during the heated summer!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5055 on: August 28, 2017, 03:44:38 PM »
I just saw the 3D re-release of Terminator 2. I had zero interest in it for 3D, but I couldn't pass up the chance to see one of my favourite movies on the big screen. I didn't realize, but it was the theatrical cut, not either of the two more recent director's cuts. It's been a long time since I've seen this version.
The 3D post conversion was well done overall, at least for the foregrounds. The far backgrounds were noticeably flat when they didn't expect you'd be looking at it, and they had trouble with anything transparent, like smoke/fire/glass/fences/liquid metal killing machines, so they looked off. A couple of shots were completely flat with no depth at all. This is the first 3D movie I've been forced to see, so I'm glad it was a movie I was familiar with, because it was more of a distraction than anything else. Still an amazing movie though.

I was thinking of seeing this as well (sometime this week), more for the nostalgia factor. I think the last 3D movie I saw was Bolt!  :)  Terminator 2 is still a great film, best in the franchise.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5056 on: August 28, 2017, 10:58:33 PM »

I was thinking of seeing this as well (sometime this week), more for the nostalgia factor. I think the last 3D movie I saw was Bolt!  :)  Terminator 2 is still a great film, best in the franchise.

Better hurry up, I don't know how much longer it will be running. Today looks like the last day at my cinema (oh shit maybe they're only running it till judgement day).
I don't count Terminator 2 as nostalgia, as it still holds up as one of the best scifi action movies ever! :hat

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5057 on: August 28, 2017, 11:45:34 PM »
I was considering going to see it beause it's one of my favourites aswell, but I really don't like 3D at all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5058 on: August 28, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »
I'm not into 3D, but for the sake of seeing T2 at the cinema, I was willing to deal with it. And it was a new experience for a movie I'd seen 1000 times already.
You can get 2D glasses so that you only see the movie in 2D, but that's probably too much trouble for how infrequently you're stuck with an exclusively 3D screening of something.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5059 on: August 29, 2017, 01:34:01 AM »
Baby Driver - thought it was pretty good escapism.  Chick was nice.

Dunkirk - very disappointed after reading lots of strong reviews.  Underwhelming and not a very good representation of the scale of what actually happened.  Not a bad movie but nowhere near what I was expecting.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5060 on: August 29, 2017, 03:11:21 AM »

Better hurry up, I don't know how much longer it will be running. Today looks like the last day at my cinema (oh shit maybe they're only running it till judgement day).
I don't count Terminator 2 as nostalgia, as it still holds up as one of the best scifi action movies ever! :hat

I just noticed my local cinema has a session tomorrow night, and that may be it, the promo posters made it seem like it would be out for ages. I will see how good work goes tomorrow.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5061 on: August 30, 2017, 02:42:25 PM »
Okay I went to Terminator 2 in 3D last night and all I can say is AMAZING! The 3D was wasted, they should have just rescreened it as normal.
Would have been nice to have some extras, but let's be honest it is a long movie already. In my session the ads were not working, so it went straight to the film. On a work night Great!
Okay this came out in 91, when I was 15, I know I saw it at the cinema, and I remember having the Guns n Roses single you could be mine, and later having the score.

But to see it again, the session I was in sounded amazing. Terminator may date but Terminator 2 does not.
This was Arnie at his best, not to mention Robert Patrick, even Edward Furlong when you consider it was his first film.
I got rid of the score years ago in a garage sale, now I want to find it again. So glad I went. Great film.  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5062 on: August 30, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
Coherence: A group of friends reunite for dinner on the night a comet is passing by, and weird shit starts to happen. It's pretty mindfucking but so good - just don't try to keep up with everything going. 4.5/5

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5063 on: August 30, 2017, 10:45:34 PM »
Coherence was a lot of fun.

I recently watched the new Ghost In the Shell. I liked it. I went in expecting it to be bad but despite obviously not being perfect, I had fun with it. I also don't watch anime so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I liked it.

I also watched Wonder Woman. It had some cheesy moments and the entire set up felt rushed and the exposition was a bit clunky, but other than that I thought it was really good. It took a few turns and hit a few themes that I didn't expect which I thought worked very well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5064 on: August 31, 2017, 12:06:06 AM »
Okay I went to Terminator 2 in 3D last night and all I can say is AMAZING! The 3D was wasted, they should have just rescreened it as normal.
Would have been nice to have some extras, but let's be honest it is a long movie already. In my session the ads were not working, so it went straight to the film. On a work night Great!
Okay this came out in 91, when I was 15, I know I saw it at the cinema, and I remember having the Guns n Roses single you could be mine, and later having the score.

But to see it again, the session I was in sounded amazing. Terminator may date but Terminator 2 does not.
This was Arnie at his best, not to mention Robert Patrick, even Edward Furlong when you consider it was his first film.
I got rid of the score years ago in a garage sale, now I want to find it again. So glad I went. Great film.  :corn

The 3D was supposed to be the "extra", but I guess the gimmick has worn off by now. Good! :biggrin:
I'm pretty sure John Connor's friend only had the single of You Could Be Mine, because they must have been listening to that song on loop for half an hour while riding around. :lol

Coherence: A group of friends reunite for dinner on the night a comet is passing by, and weird shit starts to happen. It's pretty mindfucking but so good - just don't try to keep up with everything going. 4.5/5

I thought it was ok. I didn't have any trouble keeping up with what was happening, unlike say the last 15 minutes of Primer which was a total mindfuck the first time.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5065 on: August 31, 2017, 09:31:57 AM »
I recently watched the new Ghost In the Shell. I liked it. I went in expecting it to be bad but despite obviously not being perfect, I had fun with it. I also don't watch anime so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I liked it.

I liked it too. I'm a big fan of the original anime and have watched it a ton of times, so I get the criticism that has been leveled at the live action movie. It's a bit heavy handed with force feeding the plot to the viewer but other than that, I thought it was fun.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5066 on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
Underworld Evolution & Underworld Awakening

I've never watched any of these in full, so I recorded these two on the DVR.  Fun shoot-em up flicks with vampires and werewolves.  Nothing too spectacular, except for Kate Beckinsale in tight clothes.   ;D

Will be continuing with my James Bond watching soon.  I have Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace set to record on Sunday.  Then I'll have seen all 4 of the Daniel Craig films.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5067 on: September 01, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »
I gave a re-watch of The Raid: Redemption. Probably gonna give a re-watch to part 2 either today or tomorrow.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5068 on: September 02, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »
Just finished watching A Monster Calls.... sweet jesus where's the fucking kleenex   :'( :'( :'(

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5069 on: September 03, 2017, 03:11:13 AM »
Watched 'Rough Night'. Never intended to see this one, but I had a girl friend over and so we went with a more girly choice of film than I would have otherwise picked. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised, as it was a really funny movie.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5070 on: September 04, 2017, 09:04:54 AM »
Watched Blair Witch Project for the first time. It wasn't exactly great, but it was pretty interesting to see how it was shot.

Also this might be slightly of topic, but i think it's still relevant here. This video is spot on!

https://youtu.be/KAOdjqyG37A

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #5071 on: September 04, 2017, 03:18:52 PM »
Saw Terminator 2: Judgment Day last night. T2 is one of my all-time favourite movies, and since it came out the year I was born, I obviously couldn't see it in theatre. So this was just an amazing experience for me, seeing in glorious 4K all the spectacular effects that not only hold up twenty-six years later, but are better than some films released today. And the sound! Jesus! I almost cried (from joy) after Sarah Connor's opening monologue and hearing DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN get louder and louder. I even noticed things I hadn't before. What a great flick. 
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5072 on: September 07, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »
^^^ As previously stated well worth a rewatch or first time watch from anyone.

I went to see IT and all I can say is I am a huge Stephen King fan, (no cameo, if there was I missed it) and it is a long time since I read the book, but short time since I saw the mini series.
The clown is creepy, no question about that one, this one focused on the kids for two hours plus. Once of the actor's from the Stanger Things ...
My brother preferred the kids from the original series, I didn't mind these kids, especially Eddie, he was so cute, even more neurotic that the mini series character.
About 2 hours in I was thinking, this is not going to end.... and sure enough after 2 hours it tells you that was Part 1.... so if that is enough to rush out and see it, I am glad to tell people.
But if you loved Stand by Me and loved Stranger Things you will not be disappointed.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5073 on: September 07, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
Watched Blair Witch Project for the first time. It wasn't exactly great, but it was pretty interesting to see how it was shot.

Also this might be slightly of topic, but i think it's still relevant here. This video is spot on!

https://youtu.be/KAOdjqyG37A

Blair Witch had to be seen at the time of its release to be fully appreciated.  The use of the internet to help push the mystery of the whole concept was really never done before.  It was a true lightning in the bottle moment.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5074 on: September 07, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »
Finally watched the first two Daniel Craig Bond films.  Casino Royale was awesome - loved all of the poker scenes.  Quantum of Solace's story didn't keep me terribly interested, but the action and violence made up for it.

I may re-watch Spectre now that I've seen the prior 3.   Also saw that the last XXX was added to Epix, so I'll probably watch that as well.  Loved the first one with Vin Diesel, and now he's back.