Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563690 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #3605 on: November 03, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
Schindler's List

Still one of the best movies ever made, I just don't revisit it very often because it's really hard to watch.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3606 on: November 03, 2016, 05:42:54 PM »
So I just watched Ghostbusters 2016.

It was about 5/10... 6 if i'm generous. Alright. Nothing special. Not terrible.

All the original actors cameos felt really shoved in though. Especially Dan Aykroyd just turning up and saying " i ain't afraid of no ghosts " and leaving .

It is weird how they mention YouTube comments saying " Women shouldn't be hunting Ghosts " as a joke in the film...

It certainly supports the rumour that the whole misogynist thing was invented by the film-makers.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3607 on: November 03, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »
I haven't seen it, but I'm sure it isn't terrible. Most of the people who say it's crap haven't even seen it. I think it's pretty sad how some people are "offended" or whatever by a fucking movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3608 on: November 03, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »
I wasn't.

I just thought it was a silly idea when the same cast and crew coulda made their own movie.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3609 on: November 03, 2016, 06:38:12 PM »
So I just watched Ghostbusters 2016.

It was about 5/10... 6 if i'm generous. Alright. Nothing special. Not terrible.

All the original actors cameos felt really shoved in though. Especially Dan Aykroyd just turning up and saying " i ain't afraid of no ghosts " and leaving .

It is weird how they mention YouTube comments saying " Women shouldn't be hunting Ghosts " as a joke in the film...

It certainly supports the rumour that the whole misogynist thing was invented by the film-makers.

The misogynist thing was just too much.

Like I don't really like Ghostbusters 2 that much, so I guess I hate men  ;)

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3610 on: November 03, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »
It is true that a lot of people hated the idea of the ghost busters being women though. Doesn't mean they hate women though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:28:40 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3611 on: November 04, 2016, 05:16:19 AM »
The Martian

I've avoided this for a while despite being interested in the premise, due to not really liking Matt Damon, and by being hugely disappointed by everything else I've seen by Ridley Scott, but I figured it was time to finally watch it.
I'm glad I did, because I thought it was great. I liked the focus on science-y problems, although I wish they'd had time to focus a bit more on the vital tech, and also to show more of the ongoing problems faced with such a long time surviving on Mars. Apparently the book has a lot more of that stuff, so I guess it was just down to time. There was nothing redundant or unimportant in the movie, and it was already at almost two and a half hours. I also really liked Matt Damon's character, he had a good sense of humour without being annoying.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3612 on: November 04, 2016, 05:37:44 AM »
The film was fine, and I enjoyed it.

The actual novel by Melville is possibly the greatest American novel ever written.

No contest.

It's definitely Top 2 or 3. I'm more inclined to choose The Great Gatsby or even Huckleberry Finn. I love The Old Man and the Sea but that probably isn't Hemingway's best work.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3613 on: November 04, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »

The actual novel by Melville is possibly the greatest American novel ever written.

No contest.

It's definitely Top 2 or 3. I'm more inclined to choose The Great Gatsby or even Huckleberry Finn. I love The Old Man and the Sea but that probably isn't Hemingway's best work.
No argument from me on the level of any of those.  Hard to pick one definitively as the best, but they are all in the uppermost tier.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3614 on: November 04, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
The Martian

I've avoided this for a while despite being interested in the premise, due to not really liking Matt Damon, and by being hugely disappointed by everything else I've seen by Ridley Scott, but I figured it was time to finally watch it.
I'm glad I did, because I thought it was great. I liked the focus on science-y problems, although I wish they'd had time to focus a bit more on the vital tech, and also to show more of the ongoing problems faced with such a long time surviving on Mars. Apparently the book has a lot more of that stuff, so I guess it was just down to time. There was nothing redundant or unimportant in the movie, and it was already at almost two and a half hours. I also really liked Matt Damon's character, he had a good sense of humour without being annoying.

I liked it. Way better than Prometheus. Some shots were taken directly from it like Ridley was trying to improve on it.

Some people have said that Watney is too blase about being trapped on Mars and he jokes too much. Whilst others have said - that's WHY he's in NASA *because* he can keep a cool head under

pressure.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3615 on: November 04, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »
The Martian

I liked it. Way better than Prometheus. Some shots were taken directly from it like Ridley was trying to improve on it.

Some people have said that Watney is too blase about being trapped on Mars and is jokes too much. Whilst others have said - that's WHY he's in NASA *because* he can keep a cool head under

pressure.

I agreed with that reasoning before seeing the movie, and still mostly agree with it afterwards, however, I'm currently 2/3 of the way through the book, and it does do a better job of showing his moments of utter hopelessness inbetween motivating himself to get back on with his job of surviving. That said, the book also gives him more dire situations to deal with too. The movie could have done a better job of that at times. But overall, I agree that he's not an average person; he was specifically chosen and trained for a dangerous, lonely mission of years because of his ability to cope with these kinds of scenarios.

And it was funny seeing the obvious stand-in for when he'd lost all of that weight, then it cuts right back to Matt Damon looking noticeably more buff despite being framed from the shoulders up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3616 on: November 04, 2016, 11:32:53 AM »
I thought that was a really good film.  Haven't read the book.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3617 on: November 04, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
I love the Martian, been holding out on buying it since the extended version came out. Going to grab it one of these days.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3618 on: November 04, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »

No contest.

No argument from me on the level of any of those.  Hard to pick one definitively as the best, but they are all in the uppermost tier.

See, I've read The Great Gatsby and Huckleberry Finn multiple times, but only Moby Dick once. I think I should re-read it. I just picked up Clarissa by Samuel Richardson, which has the distinction of being the longest novel ever written in the English language with nearly one million words.. I'll read it after Moby Dick.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3619 on: November 04, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »
Finally watching Rocky Balboa. About 25 minutes into it.

I really like it! Thus far it's a real return to form. Hope it keeps it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3620 on: November 04, 2016, 09:40:11 PM »
Rocky Balboa was good, but it had no rewatchability factor for me, as opposed to the first three Rocky films, all of which I can watch over and over and never get tired of.  I used to say that about the fourth, but too many parts of it are now cringe-worthy for me; the training scenes are still awesome, though.

Online Adami

« Reply #3621 on: November 04, 2016, 09:42:59 PM »
Rocky Balboa was good, but it had no rewatchability factor for me, as opposed to the first three Rocky films, all of which I can watch over and over and never get tired of.  I used to say that about the fourth, but too many parts of it are now cringe-worthy for me; the training scenes are still awesome, though.

Well I doubt I'll be re-watching any of them for quite some time, so I'm not too concerned about that right now haha.

Plus some of what I consider to be the best movies aren't very re-watchable.

I have movies like That Thing You Do which I love to death and can watch every day for the rest of my life. Then I have a movie like Dogville, which I consider to be one of the best movies ever, and I've only seen it twice because it's so god damn intense.

Okay, Rocky Balboa was really great. Got rid of the camp/silliness that I didn't dig too much about III and IV and got back to the heart which I loved about Rocky. The final fight as a bit over stylized, but the last round was incredible. Some really great character moments too.

Yea, I think I'd rank this number 2 right after Rocky.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:49:53 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3622 on: November 05, 2016, 04:44:32 PM »
V for Vendetta.

Go figure out why  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3623 on: November 05, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »
coz of teh date

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3624 on: November 05, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »
V for Vendetta.

Go figure out why  :D

Remember, remember...

Online Adami

« Reply #3625 on: November 05, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »
Dr. Strange.

Really good! Probably tied with Ant Man for second best origin story.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #3626 on: November 05, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »
Sausage party. LOL, I really enjoyed it, it was definitely very heavy handed with the religious metaphors and allegories but I thought it was still very entertaining. My favorite character was the Indian dude Sweewater. I think he was voiced by Bill Hader who couldn't even recognize but he made me laugh the hardest.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3627 on: November 05, 2016, 09:24:45 PM »
Gawd that movie was hard to watch. A few funny moments but overall meh IMO. Shallow as shit but pretending to be deep by throwing in some silly religious commentary. Also just one big annoying racial stereotype.

Anyway, I've seen three movies during the Denver Film Fest so far and the last two were great- Zoology, about a woman who grows a tail, and Radio Dreams, about an Iranian radio station in San Francisco that is scheduled to have an Afghanistan band jam with Metallica on the air. Slow so not for everybody, but definitely worth watching IMO.
(Last night at midnight we watched a Mexican horror movie called We Are The Flesh, which was..... interesting.)

Two more movies tonight,  2+ tomorrow, and then another week of volunteering before lots of movie watching next weekend. Wooo!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3628 on: November 06, 2016, 01:20:24 PM »
Sausage party. LOL, I really enjoyed it, it was definitely very heavy handed with the religious metaphors and allegories but I thought it was still very entertaining. My favorite character was the Indian dude Sweewater. I think he was voiced by Bill Hader who couldn't even recognize but he made me laugh the hardest.

Is it one of those movies that basically says anyone who believes in a deity and has a faith is an utter moron ?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3629 on: November 06, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »
Based on the trailer of Sausage Party, I thought it was going to be a funny movie.  I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews I read are quite poor.  Sounds like it had potential, but didn't come through at all.

Online Adami

« Reply #3630 on: November 06, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »
Based on the trailer of Sausage Party, I thought it was going to be a funny movie.  I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews I read are quite poor.  Sounds like it had potential, but didn't come through at all.

I haven't seen it yet, but most of the reviews I've read said that basically all of the funny parts are in the trailer, and most of the movie wasn't very funny.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #3631 on: November 06, 2016, 06:04:47 PM »

Is it one of those movies that basically says anyone who believes in a deity and has a faith is an utter moron ?

Most of the time yeah, though with that context in place I still thought there was enough funny stuff on its own to make it funny. I don't know it really depends on your taste of movies, for me I pretty much can watch anything whether it is trying to ridicule things I believe in or whatever, to me movies are entertainment for the most part. I try not to take things too personally.

As far as all the jokes being in the trailer I don't know I never trailers so can't help there.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3632 on: November 06, 2016, 06:24:15 PM »
Watched Bad Moms with my wife last night and we both couldn't stop laughing. Same writer as the first Hangover and this movie was as hilarious. Story-wise it's kinda formulaic but loved the comedy throughout.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3633 on: November 06, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
Watched Bad Moms with my wife last night and we both couldn't stop laughing. Same writer as the first Hangover and this movie was as hilarious. Story-wise it's kinda formulaic but loved the comedy throughout.

I'm not into modern comedies, but the trailer for this actually looked decent. Didn't realize it was the same writer as The Hangover, which was one of the few modern comedies I really enjoyed and found funny.

Online Adami

« Reply #3634 on: November 06, 2016, 10:54:10 PM »
Creed.

Man, great film. A really great way to close out (I hope) the Rocky Balboa character. Stallone gave an insane performance, and over all it was just a fantastic movie.

Two main complaints, that are generally not huge. 1) Watching Michael B. Jordan box was like watching a really great actor play a boxer, while watching Rocky box was watching a boxer. There was just a naturalness to Stallone fighting that Jordan didn't quite have. 2) The fight at the end, minus the end of it, wasn't nearly as good as any of the Rocky movie fight scenes. Stallone probably should have directed the fight.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3635 on: November 06, 2016, 11:37:38 PM »
One Week and a Day: a mostly-comedy from Israel about a couple who have lost their son. Hysterical but also very sad/powerful, and very well done. Probably my favorite film fest movie so far.

Also watched Off the Rails today, a documentary about the guy with Asperger's who has "stolen" hundreds of trains and buses in NYC/NJ and been in and out of jail for most of his life. Man, what a story. So maddening how the system won't/can't really deal with this situation.

Last night's midnight movie isn't worth writing about (very meh) but the 10pm one was called Another Evil and was hysterical- about a guy who hires a crazy dude to get rid of the ghosts in his vacation home.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3636 on: November 09, 2016, 06:24:44 AM »
I've watched two more time travel movies this week-

24 (no relation at all to the US TV series)
This was a pretty silly movie, with the story of a scientist who creates a time machine watch but his evil twin brother tries to steal it, killing the scientist and his wife, but their baby and the time machine (locked in a box) are given to a random woman before that happens, and the evil brother ends up in a coma for 26 years after being fooled into thinking there was a bomb and jumping off a bridge.
In those 26 years the boy grows up to be a watch repair guy, and by some incredibly dumb coincidence of events, the key for the locked time machine box makes its way from the evil brother (who is still holding the key in his hand after 26 years somehow) to the son, who still has the box and manages to open it to find the time machine watch. Then he proceeds to use it to manipulate a girl into liking him.
Then the evil brother comes out of his coma and manages to find the son and the watch, and there's lots of time travel shenanigans and everything sorta works out. But not before every single main character gets killed at some point.

Synchronicity
This movie was much better. It appeared to be a pretty typical causality loop setup, but was a bit different and confusing due to the way it was edited, and I had to pause a few times to figure out who was who and when. It ended up pretty good in the end.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3637 on: November 09, 2016, 01:37:50 PM »
I like movies that I have to watch again because I'm not quite sure of the true meaning of the ending.  Memento was like that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3638 on: November 09, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »
Memento was brilliant. Psychological films are in my Top 5 as far as genres along with movies about con men/heists, film noir, fairytales, and fantasy.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3639 on: November 09, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »
I ended up trying to watch Sausage Party last night

I didn't find it even remotely funny and didn't even finish it.