Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563588 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #3570 on: October 31, 2016, 12:45:10 PM »
IV isn't terrible. The only one better is the first one, IMO.

Really? Every ranked list I've seen puts it only above 5.

Are you including Rocky Balboa and Creed in that assertion that IV is the 2nd best? I heard Rocky Balboa is pretty good too. I guess I'll find out soon. Hoping to get through IV and V today and then Rocky Balboa tomorrow and then Creed Wednesday.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3571 on: October 31, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »
I haven't seen Rocky Balboa or Creed yet.  So I rank them

1. I
2. IV
3. II
4. III
5. V
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #3572 on: October 31, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »

1. I
2. IV
3. II
4. III
5. V

Really? Hm. I think I liked III more than II, but not by a wide margin.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3573 on: October 31, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »
See. Hef knows what's right, too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3574 on: October 31, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »

1. I
2. IV
3. II
4. III
5. V

I liked Rocky and his crew in III, but Hulk Hogan and Mr. T bring it down for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3575 on: October 31, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
The Intern (2015)

Robert DeNiro as a 70-year-old guy who gets bored with being retired and gets a position as an intern working for Anne Hathaway, who founded and owns an Internet clothing site.  It was billed as a comedy, so I figured it we be full of bad "funny" scenes with DeNiro out of touch with modern business and how things are done today in general, but instead it was a character study with almost no humor at all.  If anything, it was a light drama.

And that's absolutely fine with me.  I'll watch any movie with DeNiro being badass and Anne being hot, so that's two reasons to watch the movie, as far as I'm concerned.  And they both were, so it was all good.  I liked how it was set up to make you think it's gonna go a certain way, but then it didn't.  DeNiro wasn't the awkward fish out of water; he was still badass in his own way.  He didn't know how to use Facebook or what a lot of the modern lingo is, but he had 40 years of business experience and basically ended up showing the younger guys he worked with how to be a real man, what it means to have a work ethic, how to actually think about other people and your job and your place in the world.

Not what I was expecting.  Better.  So of course people raked it because it wasn't very funny (it wasn't meant to be) DeNiro should have become the CEO (no, he didn't want that and neither did anyone else), there was one scene that was a bit out of place (but it was actually funny and was obviously meant to be out of place and break things up a bit), and they didn't like the ending.  You know what?  Those people are all idiots.  DeNiro didn't have the credentials to be the CEO that the investors wanted, the one "crazy" scene was great, and I liked that the ending was not a typical Hollywood ending.  This is the story they wanted to tell.  When we get to the end, we've been on a journey, everyone has grown and learned something, and there's a good indication of how things will go from here.  The ending was fine.  The movie was very good.

8 gluten-free bagels out of 10.
I agree completely with this review.  We watched it earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had mixed feelings about it. I was looking forward to seeing it for DeNiro and Anne Hathaway but I didn't find it as funny as I hoped it would be.

I think the film was marketed as a Comedy in order to sell, but they knew damned well that it wasn't a Comedy.  The problem is that the film kinda defies genres in that way.  There's no "character study" genre, which is what the film is.  There's no "lighthearted drama" category, which this film could conceivably occupy.  Someday they might ball up and create a Chick Flick genre, but that day is not today.  They couldn't call it a Romantic Comedy because people would expect DeNiro and Hathaway to hook up and that's just gross.

I fully expected it to be a Comedy, and was relieved that it was not that at all, because a Comedy of this type is usually really stupid.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3576 on: October 31, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »
Sounds like the movie with Robin Williams, Man of the Year. It was marketed and advertised as a comedy but had a confusing tone of comedy, drama, thriller all meshed in one. While I thought it was a good movie, it was hard to comprehend what kind of movie it actually was.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3577 on: October 31, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »
I'll rank the Rocky movies, some of my all time favs

IV
I
II
III
Rocky Balboa
V
Creed

Online Adami

« Reply #3578 on: October 31, 2016, 02:58:08 PM »

IV
I
II
III
Rocky Balboa
V
Creed

I haven't seen Creed (obviously) yet, but I've heard almost all good things about it. Why do you rank it last?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3579 on: October 31, 2016, 03:26:28 PM »

IV
I
II
III
Rocky Balboa
V
Creed

I haven't seen Creed (obviously) yet, but I've heard almost all good things about it. Why do you rank it last?

It was very good.  But I've only seen it once as compared to numerous times for the others.  And while Stallone plays the Rocky character in the movie, it's not really a Rocky movie.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3580 on: October 31, 2016, 06:32:58 PM »
The Intern (2015)

Robert DeNiro as a 70-year-old guy who gets bored with being retired and gets a position as an intern working for Anne Hathaway, who founded and owns an Internet clothing site.  It was billed as a comedy, so I figured it we be full of bad "funny" scenes with DeNiro out of touch with modern business and how things are done today in general, but instead it was a character study with almost no humor at all.  If anything, it was a light drama.

And that's absolutely fine with me.  I'll watch any movie with DeNiro being badass and Anne being hot, so that's two reasons to watch the movie, as far as I'm concerned.  And they both were, so it was all good.  I liked how it was set up to make you think it's gonna go a certain way, but then it didn't.  DeNiro wasn't the awkward fish out of water; he was still badass in his own way.  He didn't know how to use Facebook or what a lot of the modern lingo is, but he had 40 years of business experience and basically ended up showing the younger guys he worked with how to be a real man, what it means to have a work ethic, how to actually think about other people and your job and your place in the world.

Not what I was expecting.  Better.  So of course people raked it because it wasn't very funny (it wasn't meant to be) DeNiro should have become the CEO (no, he didn't want that and neither did anyone else), there was one scene that was a bit out of place (but it was actually funny and was obviously meant to be out of place and break things up a bit), and they didn't like the ending.  You know what?  Those people are all idiots.  DeNiro didn't have the credentials to be the CEO that the investors wanted, the one "crazy" scene was great, and I liked that the ending was not a typical Hollywood ending.  This is the story they wanted to tell.  When we get to the end, we've been on a journey, everyone has grown and learned something, and there's a good indication of how things will go from here.  The ending was fine.  The movie was very good.

8 gluten-free bagels out of 10.
I agree completely with this review.  We watched it earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had mixed feelings about it. I was looking forward to seeing it for DeNiro and Anne Hathaway but I didn't find it as funny as I hoped it would be.

I think the film was marketed as a Comedy in order to sell, but they knew damned well that it wasn't a Comedy.  The problem is that the film kinda defies genres in that way.  There's no "character study" genre, which is what the film is.  There's no "lighthearted drama" category, which this film could conceivably occupy.  Someday they might ball up and create a Chick Flick genre, but that day is not today.  They couldn't call it a Romantic Comedy because people would expect DeNiro and Hathaway to hook up and that's just gross.

I fully expected it to be a Comedy, and was relieved that it was not that at all, because a Comedy of this type is usually really stupid.

I agree with you on all points. It's not a comedy in the way that Meet the Parents is a comedy. The story in that movie kind of takes a backseat to the antics of DeNiro and Stiller. The Intern's comedic side is ancillary to the touching story that they are poorly attemping to convey.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3581 on: October 31, 2016, 06:50:25 PM »
The Evil Dead (1981):

Had to watch atleast one of my favorite horror movies on Halloween of course. Great fucking movie. Super creepy. Love everything about it, the make-up, the special effects, the music, etc... 10/10

Online Adami

« Reply #3582 on: October 31, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »

1. I
2. IV
3. II
4. III
5. V

I liked Rocky and his crew in III, but Hulk Hogan and Mr. T bring it down for me.

I thought Mr. T was fine and I thought the Hogan part was pretty funny.

I just started IV and the two gloves exploding at the beginning is already the dumbest thing ever.

And now there's a robot....

So I'm getting the impression that people love this because it's campy and silly and very typical 80's? I dunno, I think Rocky III was the silliest I could get, so I'm not terribly on board with this one thus far.

Last edit: Finished IV. I dunno guys, it wasn't very good. The last fight was pretty great, but everything else was just such typical 80's camp that I couldn't respect it a ton. I think this is the kind of movie I expected Rocky to be and was just so blown away by the first one that when I finally get that overly silly campy dumb boxing movie, I'm not as impressed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:55:49 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3583 on: October 31, 2016, 10:04:43 PM »
Rocky IV is amazing. Shut your whore mouth. Or else I'll shut mine.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #3584 on: October 31, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »

Open your whore mouth.  :-*
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #3585 on: October 31, 2016, 10:19:39 PM »
Almost done with Rocky V.

Can't take this movie seriously at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3586 on: October 31, 2016, 10:25:24 PM »

Open your whore mouth.  :-*

:yarr

Rocky V is shit. I can't remember anything about it except the total fizzle ending.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3587 on: November 01, 2016, 05:03:43 AM »
Creed was actually pretty damn good.  Very much set in the Rocky universe - in which Boxers use absolutely no defense and basically take it in turns to punch each other endlessly for 12 rounds.   It was very cliched with a romantic sub plot the predictably takes a wobble midway though the film, Rocky has another battle to overcome (cancer) and the final battle is pretty brutal.   Definately better than VI, V and Balboa imo.  It's also a better film than III, but I have a soft spot for that film...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3588 on: November 01, 2016, 05:38:48 AM »
Almost done with Rocky V.

Can't take this movie seriously at all.

V was terrible. What did you wind up thinking of IV?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3589 on: November 01, 2016, 06:22:41 AM »
I really loved Rocky Balboa the 6th movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online faizoff

« Reply #3590 on: November 01, 2016, 07:22:55 AM »
Watched Captain America:Civil War again along with the directors and writers commentary, very fun and informative commentary and I think I was on the fence about Civil War being better than winter soldier. CW was a lot of fun rewatching, on first viewing there are so many pieces unfolding that I was unsure where all of it was going and it all made sense in the ending. This also puts me back into Marvel mode again so probably going to do a rewatch of all the movies before Dr.Strange.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3591 on: November 01, 2016, 07:46:19 AM »
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl..... the feels

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3592 on: November 01, 2016, 12:58:01 PM »
I saw The Others (2001) with my brother and sister yesterday. It's kind of light psychological thriller/horror, cool movie if you want to see something like it and don't like horrors with much blood :P (like me).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3593 on: November 01, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
We had Hellraiser on during Halloween last night.  :metal

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3594 on: November 01, 2016, 01:16:55 PM »
Love The Others and Hellraiser.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3595 on: November 01, 2016, 02:03:04 PM »
We had Hellraiser on during Halloween last night.  :metal

I watched the original Halloween last night.

Part 2 and part 4 are good as well, never really bothered with part 3.  I will say that part 2 has probably the best movie nude scene ever, when that nurse gets into the hot tub.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3596 on: November 02, 2016, 09:22:34 AM »
In the heart of the sea. I'd say this movie was a 7/10 and thought it was better than the ratings and reviews made it out to be. I do think there was a pacing issue in the movie, it also didn't help that it appeared to be marketed as a thrilling action movie with Moby Dick... so I kinda see why it failed. I have to say it was very well shot and made though Chris Hemsworth in a Boston accent was very distracting as I don't think he did a good job of it at all.
I fell in the misconception of thinking this was an adaptation of Moby Dick and not just a telling of  the original report that Moby Dick is based on.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3597 on: November 02, 2016, 12:01:23 PM »
Once again, marketing a movie to be something that it's really not might result in more people seeing movie, but will definitely result in more people being disappointed.

Some of the movies I've enjoyed the most are the ones I went into with no preconceptions.  Sometimes I'd never even heard of it before, so I watch it, watch the story unfold the way the director intended, and just let it take me for a ride.  By not expecting anything in particular, I'm not going to be disappointed.  The movie might still fail, but it will do that (or not) on its own merits, not because of too-high expectations courtesy of marketing.

Example:  When my wife and I went to see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, it was a double feature with some movie we'd never heard of called Weekend at Bernie's.  Yeah, everyone knows the movie now, but this was before it was officially released, test marketing.  We figured two movies for the price of one, why not?

We had no idea.  The Bernie gags have been done 1000 times since then, and never as well, but we laughed our asses off the entire time, as it kept getting more and more absurd.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3598 on: November 02, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
In the heart of the sea. I'd say this movie was a 7/10 and thought it was better than the ratings and reviews made it out to be. I do think there was a pacing issue in the movie, it also didn't help that it appeared to be marketed as a thrilling action movie with Moby Dick... so I kinda see why it failed. I have to say it was very well shot and made though Chris Hemsworth in a Boston accent was very distracting as I don't think he did a good job of it at all.
I fell in the misconception of thinking this was an adaptation of Moby Dick and not just a telling of  the original report that Moby Dick is based on.
Not sure where the misconception comes from.  I remember the commercials of the film, and the trailers, being fairly clear that it was the story of the events on which Moby Dick was based.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3599 on: November 02, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »
They did say that, but I also thought they tried to play up the action side.  When I first saw the commercials, I thought "Whoa, a new Moby Dick movie" but after all that, it's "In the Heart of the Sea (based on the original Moby Dick story)" or something like that.  They wanted to be clear that it wasn't Moby Dick, but also that it wasn't a Moby Dick rip-off; it's the original story.  I'm fine with that, but it did seem to make it look more "exciting" and less "thought-provoking".

Online faizoff

« Reply #3600 on: November 02, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
Not sure where the misconception comes from.  I remember the commercials of the film, and the trailers, being fairly clear that it was the story of the events on which Moby Dick was based.

It was probably my own preconceived notion as I just saw one trailer and just assumed it was the Moby Dick story plus the trailer made it look like it was all action like Orbert said. I'm glad I saw it, for the most part I like Ron Howard movies, they're a good watch though sadly they don't seem to be making much money lately.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3601 on: November 03, 2016, 04:08:28 AM »
Downfall.
I'm not into war time movies, but I enjoyed this one. The pacing was good for a longer movie, and it was interesting to see this side of it. The end was quite dark, with the last 45 minutes or so just being Germans committing suicide (sorry for the spoiler alert :lol )

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3602 on: November 03, 2016, 05:25:47 AM »

It was probably my own preconceived notion as I just saw one trailer and just assumed it was the Moby Dick story plus the trailer made it look like it was all action like Orbert said. I'm glad I saw it, for the most part I like Ron Howard movies, they're a good watch though sadly they don't seem to be making much money lately.

I don't know if I could watch a movie based off Moby Dick. It's such a great book that I would be stuck expecting a certain thing and wind up disappointed or criticizing it too much.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3603 on: November 03, 2016, 07:35:43 AM »
The film was fine, and I enjoyed it.

The actual novel by Melville is possibly the greatest American novel ever written.

No contest.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3604 on: November 03, 2016, 03:30:32 PM »
So I just watched Ghostbusters 2016.

It was about 5/10... 6 if i'm generous. Alright. Nothing special. Not terrible.

All the original actors cameos felt really shoved in though. Especially Dan Aykroyd just turning up and saying " i ain't afraid of no ghosts " and leaving .