Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563765 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #3185 on: September 05, 2016, 07:44:33 PM »
Recently watched Trumbo and True Story. Trombo was an amazing movie, Cranston is a phenomenal actor. True Story was good, a bit unsettling, but I wish it had a better ending. I was very surprised with Franco's and Hill's acting chops, they should do more serious movies.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3186 on: September 05, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
Se7en. Pretty good. Maybe not as much as it is hyped but I dug it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3187 on: September 06, 2016, 07:26:10 AM »

When I first saw that film, it was when it had just come out in theaters.  I (somehow) had not seen any commercials for it, and had read nothing about it.  My friend asked me to go see it with him, so I went, with no idea of what it was.

I was completely floored, and actually disturbed.  I kind of wish that I could see more films under those circumstances now, but it's almost impossible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3188 on: September 06, 2016, 08:27:12 AM »
Saw God's Not Dead and God's Not Dead 2 over the holiday weekend.  The first one was pretty good, and I enjoyed it.  The second was not. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3189 on: September 06, 2016, 08:50:25 AM »
Watched Running Man on Netflix. It was actually really good despite being cheesy. I wanted more. I wanted to see Arnold take on the gov't next.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3190 on: September 06, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »
We're falling behind on the Marvel Cinematic Universe flicks.  With one kid out of the house and the other usually going to opening-weekend screenings with friends, the family trips to the cinema are basically in the past now, which means anything recent is DVD/Blu-ray or On-demand, or just cable.  We caught Deadpool recently, but Captain America: Civil War still isn't out, so we went with a double feature of Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice, the DC stuff we hadn't bothered with yet.

Marvel has been doing this a bit longer, so it's no surprise that their flicks have found a "tone" that I consider superior to DC's.  There's an inherent contradiction in trying to transform comic-book source material to the big screen in a "realistic" way, but a certain amount of humor and some engaging characters goes a long way in helping the audience overlook shortcomings elsewhere.  DC's distraction solution seems to be "blow more shit up!"  I now understand the one critique I seemed to hear more than anything else regarding Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice.  Huge amounts of property damage and presumed deaths, which, granted, are a part of comic-book stories, but with Man of Steel it just seemed completely over the top.

Then in Dawn of Justice, they addressed that, which was good, but I couldn't help recalling The Incredibles, which is something like a tribute to and parody of comic-book movies all in one (it didn't help that there was a reference to both Superman and Batman wearing capes, causing everyone in the room to shout "No capes!" in our best Edna Mode voices).  Superheroes are probably mostly good, but they're not us, they're super powerful, and look at all the destruction!  It's their fault!  I know what they were going for, and they handled some of it pretty well, and some of it not so well.

Overall, not a complete waste of time, though.  I was reasonably entertained throughout each one.  It helped that Amy Adams and Diane Lane are two of my favorite actresses.  Yeah, you knew an Orbert review had to have some overt sexism to it.  Amy in a bathtub scene to start Dawn of Justice was a cheap way to get the guys on board early, but hey, it worked.

Took me way too long to remember that Wonder Woman was in this one, even after that one girl's name (Diana Prince) was mentioned.  But I got it, just a few moments before they dropped the anvil on everyone else's heads, so I give myself partial credit.

So that was yesterday, and today by complete coincidence I saw a comic that dealt with one of the questions from the movie.  I like this answer better:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3191 on: September 06, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »

When I first saw that film, it was when it had just come out in theaters.  I (somehow) had not seen any commercials for it, and had read nothing about it.  My friend asked me to go see it with him, so I went, with no idea of what it was.

I was completely floored, and actually disturbed.  I kind of wish that I could see more films under those circumstances now, but it's almost impossible.

At the time, the actor who plays John Doe (I won't say his name, in case anyone reading this still wants to see it) was relatively unknown, so the three times we hear his voice before the reveal probably wasn't a giveaway to anyone. Now, I think most would recognize it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3192 on: September 06, 2016, 11:17:50 PM »

At the time, the actor who plays John Doe (I won't say his name, in case anyone reading this still wants to see it) was relatively unknown, so the three times we hear his voice before the reveal probably wasn't a giveaway to anyone. Now, I think most would recognize it.

I thought that very same thing. Later on, once you realize it's him, you can definitely pick out his voice.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3193 on: September 07, 2016, 08:14:08 AM »

You're probably right.

I certainly didn't know who he was at the time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3194 on: September 07, 2016, 08:22:10 AM »
Although it isn't the most chilling thing in the movie, the "Detective. Detective!" line gives me chills.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3195 on: September 07, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »
Zero Dark Thirty. It was completely different than what I was expecting and I mean that in the best possible sense. I dug it a lot  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3196 on: September 07, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »
Although it isn't the most chilling thing in the movie, the "Detective. Detective!" line gives me chills.
:tup

Zero Dark Thirty. It was completely different than what I was expecting and I mean that in the best possible sense. I dug it a lot  :tup
Very good movie.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3197 on: September 10, 2016, 05:54:15 PM »
Dope - 8/10. Super fun and hit the sweet spot between today and 90s culture.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3198 on: September 10, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »
X-Men: Apocalypse (2016): 2/10

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3199 on: September 10, 2016, 06:39:45 PM »

I thought it was a lot better than that.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3200 on: September 10, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »

The trailers were so terrible that I didn't go see it in theaters. Since I'm a collector (to some extent) I'll likely get it in bluray and check it out.

.........I'm just now realizing the total lack in logic of that, since the blu ray will cost more than the theater ticket.

Crap.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3201 on: September 10, 2016, 07:19:15 PM »
The Italian Job

Excellent movie, great cast, and just the type of movie I always love

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3202 on: September 11, 2016, 02:42:00 AM »
Rewatched Captain America: Civil War yesterday. Such an awesome movie.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3203 on: September 11, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »

I thought it was a lot better than that.
Über Geschmack lässt sich streiten.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3204 on: September 11, 2016, 01:05:03 PM »
Taxi Driver. Good movie, but I don't really get the hype for it.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3205 on: September 11, 2016, 04:16:19 PM »
Зеркало (The Mirror): 9/10

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3206 on: September 11, 2016, 11:34:34 PM »
Sing Street: Beautiful movie. Bloody wonderful. Everyone needs to see this.

Actually, I'd be really interested in Kotow's thoughts on it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3207 on: September 12, 2016, 06:43:40 AM »
Finally watched the Patriot. Pretty good war film. Mel Gibson was such a great actor.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3208 on: September 12, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »
I watched Cloverfield with my youngest daughter Friday.  She had never seen it and was interested, and I like it already.  That was fun.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3209 on: September 13, 2016, 12:28:12 AM »
Captain America: Civil War:

Liked it a lot. It was very entertaining, it had great action scenes, it had some really funny parts and it even had some pretty depressing/sad moments. Better than the first 2 Captain America movies and better than the 2 Avengers movies imo. 9/10

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3210 on: September 13, 2016, 12:28:55 AM »

I second this. One of the best movies I've seen this year.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3211 on: September 13, 2016, 01:16:56 AM »
The Neon Demon. Wow, I don't really know what to say about this one. I felt a bit sick after it had ended. But it was really interesting and one of the most visually beautiful movies I've ever seen. If you're into movies that can go really artsy I recommend it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3212 on: September 13, 2016, 01:20:44 AM »
The Neon Demon. Wow, I don't really know what to say about this one. I felt a bit sick after it had ended. But it was really interesting and one of the most visually beautiful movies I've ever seen. If you're into movies that can go really artsy I recommend it.

I agree, definitely one my highlights this year.

Which scene was it that made you feel sick, if I may ask? I can think of two that come to mind.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3213 on: September 13, 2016, 01:52:49 AM »
^Looking forward to watching that one.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3214 on: September 13, 2016, 02:21:56 AM »

Which scene was it that made you feel sick, if I may ask? I can think of two that come to mind.

There were two scenes that made me feel that way, so you're probably right about both. It was the making love to the corpse scene, and then the very end, the puking up the eye and then eating it again thing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3215 on: September 13, 2016, 02:39:07 AM »

There were two scenes that made me feel that way, so you're probably right about both. It was the making love to the corpse scene, and then the very end, the puking up the eye and then eating it again thing.

Yeah, that sounds about right. :lol The first of those two scenes is the only time that I've ever seen somebody actually walk out of the theater.

Also, the soundtrack is fucking awesome, right? Definitely some of my favourite music to a film in a long time.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3216 on: September 13, 2016, 04:20:50 AM »
Yeah the soundtrack was great. Everything about how this movie is made is brilliant.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3217 on: September 13, 2016, 05:24:26 AM »

Actually, I'd be really interested in Kotow's thoughts on it.

It looks like it might be interesting. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3218 on: September 13, 2016, 07:00:53 AM »
We watched In The Heart of the Sea the other night.  It didn't do well at the box office, or very well with critics as I recall, but I enjoyed it.  I mean, it wasn't groundbreaking, and I'm not sure how "truthful" it was, but that doesn't matter.  It was a fun watch.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3219 on: September 13, 2016, 09:13:36 AM »

Yeah, that sounds about right. :lol The first of those two scenes is the only time that I've ever seen somebody actually walk out of the theater.

Also, the soundtrack is fucking awesome, right? Definitely some of my favourite music to a film in a long time.

The music is excellent, and it's a technically amazing film- visually, the sound, all of that. Pretty but lacks a bit of substance, which is what I expected from a movie about models... directed by the weirdo who did Drive. A local theater showed both movies together on Friday, which is what I did. I fucking loved the necro scene :lol... I was hoping for it, and hoping for it, and my face was like  :o :D
But I'm pretty twisted and not easily disturbed when it comes to film. I actually thought it would have been better if it ended at the scene where everybody is bathing in her blood instead of all the nonsense that came after. It was fine but unnecessary and I thought the aforementioned scene was very cool and piercing and would have wrapped thing up well. But it was overall a blast, and so was Drive the second time around.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.