Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563349 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #3080 on: August 13, 2016, 05:41:49 AM »
Idiocracy.

An average soldier is selected for being preserved in suspended animation for one year, but the secret experiment gets forgotten and he wakes up 500 years in the future when the entire humanity is dumbed down, since ignorant people procreated so much to the point that they outlived all the intelligent ones (and with evolution no longer there to reward the smartes ones, but only the ones who were having more children). So an average guy for our time becomes the smartest guy in a world full of ignorant people.

It's a comedy / satire of course, and a pretty funny one also (the character of the future president of the USA is awesome, bwhaha), but a part of me makes me wonder if it's just an exagerated scenario of what may actually happen in the future.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3081 on: August 13, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »
Toy Story. It's been a very long time since I've seen this movie (will watch the other two in the coming days), and I have to say it's aged pretty well.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3082 on: August 13, 2016, 02:05:20 PM »
Super Troopers.

Still one of the most underrated comedies ever.  Freaking hilarious.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3083 on: August 13, 2016, 07:57:09 PM »
Interstellar

I haven't watched it since it was in theaters. Such a great movie. I teared up quite a few times.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3084 on: August 13, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »
Super Troopers.

I figured we'd eventually agree on something. Leave it to the Super Troopers to bring people together.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3085 on: August 14, 2016, 01:39:44 AM »
Confidence

I love movies about grifters, so I've probably seen most of them. This is one of the few I hadn't seen. Brilliant movie and the ending made it so much better. I saw some of it before it happened but a couple of the things totally caught me off guard.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3086 on: August 15, 2016, 12:07:32 AM »
Tag

This was a random Japanese pick, and I'm glad I knew nothing about it going in, because it was nuts. It starts off with two buses full of schoolgirls on the way to school, when a couple of minutes in, this killer wind comes and cuts the roof off both buses, slicing everyone in half but one girl. This is when I knew I was in for a treat. :lol
The rest of the movie is equally violent and unexpected, with a lot of crazy imagery and some nice cinematography with lots of drone shots, and there's not one male in the movie for about an hour. There ends up being a reason for that, although I didn't even question it because Japan.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3087 on: August 16, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »
Recently rewatched The Dark Knight, because it's awesome.

Even though I've seen this many times by now, one particular aspect actually surprised me. Sure it's a dark and gritty and realistic new take on the superhero genre, but I was surprised by how funny this movie is. I've not really noticed that before. Not "jokes" really in that way, nothing's really in your face about it, it's mostly more subtle character moments and dialogue sprinkled in.

I think why I noticed it this time is because of Batman v Superman. That movie has a few moments like that, but they either feel a bit forced (not Suicide Squad's level though) or they're faaaaaar apart. It's pretty amazing how organic, natural, and balanced The Dark Knight feels compared to BvS. I still like BvS overall, but in no way does it compare to the almost perfectly crafted The Dark Knight.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3088 on: August 16, 2016, 06:40:55 AM »
Suicide Squad. Liked it. Want to watch it again for the nuances.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3089 on: August 16, 2016, 03:48:07 PM »
Soylent Green

Still pretty decent. I really hope I'm dead before it gets that bad, or if it gets that bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3090 on: August 16, 2016, 05:56:14 PM »
Super Troopers.

I figured we'd eventually agree on something. Leave it to the Super Troopers to bring people together.

:tup :tup

"What did you find out at the weigh station."

"My cruiser weighs 16,000 kilograms."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3091 on: August 16, 2016, 07:18:59 PM »
Airplane! Some friends hyped it as the best comedy movie they'd ever seen. Tbh, the humour was probably a bit too absurd or predictable at some points for my taste, but still a pretty enjoyable film. I think I'd have enjoyed it way more in their company rather than alone tho  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3092 on: August 16, 2016, 07:34:11 PM »
Super Troopers.

:tup :tup

"What did you find out at the weigh station."

"My cruiser weighs 16,000 kilograms."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3093 on: August 17, 2016, 01:03:09 AM »
Airplane! Some friends hyped it as the best comedy movie they'd ever seen. Tbh, the humour was probably a bit too absurd or predictable at some points for my taste, but still a pretty enjoyable film. I think I'd have enjoyed it way more in their company rather than alone tho  :lol

I barely made it 10 minutes into that movie before I had to stop. It was painful. Even worse than Spaceballs. Comedy does not age well.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3094 on: August 17, 2016, 01:13:46 AM »
I don't know how to process that.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3095 on: August 17, 2016, 01:15:12 AM »

Oh it's easy. You go watch Airplane and Spaceballs and laugh a lot because those movies are amazing.

Then you'll be good again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3096 on: August 17, 2016, 01:45:13 AM »
For the First Time: Spirited Away

Didn't love it, but there were definetely things to enjoy. Most importantly, Chihiro as a character. Unfortunately as the movie went on I realized that I didn't really care about the story. I don't know why, I just wasn't engaged, and when I saw that there was half an hour left I considered turning it off because it didn't really matter to me. It wasn't bad, I just found it a bit underwhelming.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:54:32 AM by BlackInk »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3097 on: August 17, 2016, 04:15:48 AM »

I barely made it 10 minutes into that movie before I had to stop. It was painful. Even worse than Spaceballs. Comedy does not age well.

Blob is Eddie.

https://youtu.be/57aeMPAddpA
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3098 on: August 17, 2016, 09:53:40 AM »

Oh it's easy. You go watch Airplane and Spaceballs and laugh a lot because those movies are amazing.

Then you'll be good again.

Airplane! is good. Spaceballs has aged TERRIBLY. I couldn't even watch it last time.

Besides - the best comedy of all time is UHF.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3099 on: August 18, 2016, 01:20:26 AM »
The Handsome Suit

A Japanese comedy movie about this dude who is so ugly that most girls run away from him on sight. But this company gets his to test out a new suit that makes him appear incredibly handsome, and he leads a double life as a famous model. He ends up falling for an ugly chick in his regular life, while dating a top supermodel in his alternate life. It's a movie, so you can sorta guess the rest. Quite enjoyable nonetheless.

Idiocracy

I hear this one mentioned regularly, so I thought I should get around to watching it. Not bad. I really liked the setup at the start, but the scifi fan in me couldn't help but figure how implausible the entire scenario was. I was hoping the movie would have more satire than it did, but it was still funny for what it was.

Dredd

When I realized the movie would be Karl Urban vs Lena Heady, I was excited. It didn't disappoint. I enjoyed the violence, especially the slow motion stuff, and I Karl Urban played a good character (I don't otherwise know Judge Dredd, so I don't know/care what anyone else thought of his portrayal). Those weapons were badass too. I wonder if he got sore muscles from frowning that hard for the entire shoot though. :lol
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:53:39 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3100 on: August 18, 2016, 08:32:29 AM »
I think comedy aging bad or good really depends. For example, I love The Naked Gun and I think they still hold up well today. It's a certain kind of comedy that won't be for everyone, but personally I really like it. I remember around 10 years ago when they started making all those bad spoof movies. Disaster Movie, Epic Movie and so on. Those were terrible, but they have aged even worse because the references get so dated. A movie like The Naked Gun holds up for me, and it's before my time and I haven't even seen some of the movies they make fun out of, but it works anyways. But then you get to one of those newer (and bad) spoof movies where they have someone dress up like <insert celebrity who was famous that year> and have a gag, and 5 years after that movie, viewers would go "who is that person and why is this funny?".

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3101 on: August 18, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »
One of the differences between the Naked Gun movies and the others you mentioned (Disaster Movie, Epic Movie) is that The Naked Gun was a genre spoof.  It targeted police/spy/action stuff in general, which opens the door to many kinds of wacky things.

I haven't seen much of Disaster Movie, Epic Movie, etc., but I've caught some while flipping channels, and they seem to be scene after scene of satirizing specific scenes from specific movies, mixed with some cultural references.  That can make them funny if you're familiar with the originals or get the references, but dates them quite firmly.  There would be no point in watching them even a few years later other than for nostalgia or for drinking games or something.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3102 on: August 18, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »
For the First Time: The Green Mile

Not at all the movie I expected going in, but that didn't make any less great.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3103 on: August 19, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »
Pretty Woman- I'm not into romantic comedies at all. But I'll give this movie credit, it's excellent and has aged well

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3104 on: August 19, 2016, 05:28:30 AM »
That was a comedy?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3105 on: August 19, 2016, 06:25:58 AM »
That's a good point. The movie is good, but it's not really funny at all.

And despite not being much of a Julia Roberts fan, I will give her props for that film; her on-screen charisma just leaps out at you and makes the movie enjoyable.  So many romantic "comedies" (which we can call it, for the sake of simplicity) have predictable storylines with actors and actresses that are nearly interchangeable, but Pretty Woman is one where you can't imagine anyone but Roberts playing the lead role (even if I think her status as a pretty woman is overrated).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3106 on: August 19, 2016, 06:29:22 AM »
I think it's supposed to be more charming than funny. There's a difference. I get the charm and the allure of it, and it's definitely unique in that aspect. However, as far as romantic and charming movies go, in recent years, nothing tops Moulin Rouge.

edit: Lost in Translation is another great one
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:38:12 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3107 on: August 20, 2016, 12:43:31 AM »
Wednesday: Silver Streak- Silly and fun and so very seventies
Yesterday: Suicide Squad- Also fun (as long as you don't think too hard about it :lol)
Today: Blood Simple- Duuude, had never seen that before and it was great on the big screen. Love dem Coen Brothers.
The Lobster- Bizarre and wonderful, dark but funny... definitely see this one if you can!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3108 on: August 20, 2016, 06:22:43 AM »
Green Room

Been wanting to watch this one just for Patrick Stewart. He played a good bad guy. The band wasn't set up to be very likable, so I was actually kinda hoping he made a clean sweep. :lol
Overall, not bad. There was some good gore, and it was an interesting scenario that made it different than usual.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3109 on: August 20, 2016, 10:40:39 AM »
I thought people made more of a big deal about Stewart in that movie than he deserved, but he was good. It was really enjoyable overall, though.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: August 20, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
I haven't heard what anyone else has said about Stewart in it. I always think it's cool seeing Patrick Stewart doing something different, and I thought he played the part well, but it certainly wasn't one of his career defining performances or anything.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3111 on: August 20, 2016, 07:11:59 PM »
The Hunters

Artifacts thought to be from fairytales and mythology are actually real. There are people called Hunters who are committed to protecting these artifacts, many of which have magical properties, at all costs. The main artifact in this story is the mirror from Snow White. After I read the summary, I thought this idea had such potential. I was so disappointed. The writing was campy and dull. It was a blatant display of a lack of imagination. The way it ended left it open for a sequel but gods I hope they didn't waste their time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3112 on: August 20, 2016, 07:22:55 PM »
Gods I will never watch it then.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3113 on: August 20, 2016, 07:31:20 PM »
Don't!  :tdwn

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3114 on: August 20, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »
That sounds like a horrible hybrid of Once Upon a Time..... and Warehouse 13.

fanticide.bandcamp.com