Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563726 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #2345 on: April 10, 2016, 07:04:20 AM »
Taken 2 is good in a "more of the same" way.  Not a lot of expansion on the character or lore, such as it is, but it's not meant to be.  I thought it was pretty good.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2346 on: April 10, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »
Gone Girl. I'm beginning to enjoy this movie more and more on repeated viewings. As a huge fan of David Fincher's movies, this one didn't connect right away with me mainly because I had read the book prior to watching the movie and felt there was almost zero suspense while watching the movie. It's a great book adaptation and my wife who saw it the first time, having not read the book, absolutely loved the movie. It took me a few re-watches to like it again. I really liked it this time and concentrated more on everything else (acting, cinematography, editing) other than the plot. I was already a fan of the soundtrack and love it's use on the movie.

Fincher movies are always a blast to rewatch for me.

The one complaint I do have is the overuse of finishing dialogue by another character, they reused that trick way too many times for my liking.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2347 on: April 10, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »
Watched just the movie, I liked it, it didn't really feel like three hours, didn't really figure out the twist halfway the movie. A pity that she got away with everything basically!

As for my last movie, it was Bridge of Spies, an excellent one! For being kinda straightforward (Spy arrested in the beginning, every party involved clearly interested for a swap of prisoners) it was interesting and kept the attention on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2348 on: April 10, 2016, 01:19:01 PM »
Gone Girl is one of my favourite books ever, I really should see the movie. Has anybody seen the movie and read the book and can tell me how they compare?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2349 on: April 10, 2016, 03:02:42 PM »
David fincher's Girl with the dragon tattoo.

Woah, what a movie. It was definitely better than I thought it would be. I am dumb since I missed a lot of what was going on and had to read up on it. Pretty deep and dark stuff. Glad to have seen it 

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: April 10, 2016, 05:29:08 PM »
Gone Girl is one of my favourite books ever, I really should see the movie. Has anybody seen the movie and read the book and can tell me how they compare?

Gillian Flynn is possibly my favorite living author, and I enjoyed the movie.  I was definitely more invested in the book, but I think that's kind of natural, especially with such a psychological story - it's a lot easier to get inside a character's head in a book, and that depth was a lot of what made Gone Girl so compelling for me.  But I still think they did a great job bringing the story to life for the movie.

I'd say go for it.  It probably won't surpass the book for you, but you will enjoy it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: April 10, 2016, 05:31:17 PM »

Woah, what a movie. It was definitely better than I thought it would be. I am dumb since I missed a lot of what was going on and had to read up on it. Pretty deep and dark stuff. Glad to have seen it

Fincher directed ? Let me guess....

• Dark lighting throughout.
• Green tint in entire movie
• Steady cam / locked off camera.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2352 on: April 10, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »
Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back. A little cornier than I expect from Kevin Smith but decently entertaining. I've been watching a lot of his stand-up/Q&A material on Youtube and I find him way more interesting to listen to than watching his movies. Some of his stories, especially about Prince and Bruce Willis, are absolutely amazing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: April 10, 2016, 06:34:20 PM »
Just saw Shaun of The Dead, not as hilarious as I heard it was, but good a couple of good laughs out of it, which is rare since the last British thing I've seen that was actually funny was Blackadder, otherwise I think their brand of humor is where it's American counterpart was in the 50's. I think I'll check out Hot Fuzz.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #2354 on: April 10, 2016, 06:48:36 PM »
My wife and I went to see Hello My Name Is Doris last week and it was funny. It was an atypical romantic comedy. I liked it. Sally Field is this woman who's mother just passed away (who hoarded everything) and then gets this huge crush on her new boss who is a millennial, and so she sets up a fake fb account and starts to like his kind of music, and they become like really good friends and she wants to take it to the next level and he's oblivious of this fact... it's really quirky and funny.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online faizoff

« Reply #2355 on: April 10, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »

Like I mentioned, I read the book first and then went to see the movie. For me I feel it was a mistake only because I watch movies with a very keen eye and pay a lot of attention to clues and the story telling on the screen. Gone Girl, the movie, is a very faithful adaptation of the book and does great justice to it on a visual medium. I'd say almost all the major areas are covered in the movie with very little things left out. After all Gillian Flynn herself wrote the screenplay for the movie so a lot of vital ground was covered. Fincher's a master of story telling I feel and always creates a compelling viewing on screen.
For me personally the suspense part was taken out when watching it for the first time as I already knew every twist that was to happen. And one of the main draw of the story really are the twists.

That said it's still a very enjoyable movie and the best part I felt was the humor, which was something I never felt while reading the book.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:46:47 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2356 on: April 10, 2016, 07:50:12 PM »
The Master by Paul Thomas Anderson

I usually love his movies, but definitely not this one. Just very dry and drawn out. Didn't like it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2357 on: April 10, 2016, 08:30:39 PM »
Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back. A little cornier than I expect from Kevin Smith but decently entertaining. I've been watching a lot of his stand-up/Q&A material on Youtube and I find him way more interesting to listen to than watching his movies. Some of his stories, especially about Prince and Bruce Willis, are absolutely amazing.

Those Evening With Kevin Smith releases are hysterical. The story about Prince is one of my favorites.   :lol 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2358 on: April 10, 2016, 09:02:03 PM »

Woah, what a movie.
Definitely, and now I'm looking forwards to reading the book and the rest of the trilogy.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2359 on: April 10, 2016, 09:44:34 PM »

Those Evening With Kevin Smith releases are hysterical. The story about Prince is one of my favorites.   :lol

"It's 3 AM. In Minnesota. And I want a camel."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2360 on: April 10, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »
Everybody Wants Some, the new Linklater. It's like Dazed and Confused in many ways (he calls it a "soul sequel"), except it follows some college baseball players in 1980 Texas... the main guy being a new freshman pitcher, of course. A lot of fun, hilarious, with a few deeper moments. Mostly it's Linklater doing what he does best- not a heavy plot, but exploring some interesting characters and their dynamics in a short span of time (in this case, the weekend leading up to the start of classes). Fun soundtrack and aesthetic. Not quite Dazed level of awesome, but definitely worth watching!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2361 on: April 11, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
 Batman v. Superman. A bit long. But I liked it.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2362 on: April 11, 2016, 08:23:56 AM »
Everybody Wants Some, the new Linklater. It's like Dazed and Confused in many ways (he calls it a "soul sequel"), except it follows some college baseball players in 1980 Texas... the main guy being a new freshman pitcher, of course. A lot of fun, hilarious, with a few deeper moments. Mostly it's Linklater doing what he does best- not a heavy plot, but exploring some interesting characters and their dynamics in a short span of time (in this case, the weekend leading up to the start of classes). Fun soundtrack and aesthetic. Not quite Dazed level of awesome, but definitely worth watching!
Yeah, I wanna see that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2363 on: April 11, 2016, 08:25:04 AM »
Watched Tomorrowland last night. Entertaining movie with positive, uplifting propaganda.  CGI stuff looked pretty good on my tv.

When I saw the commercials for that movie I immediately said "so they remade Dazed and Confused?"

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2364 on: April 11, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »
The Master by Paul Thomas Anderson

I usually love his movies, but definitely not this one. Just very dry and drawn out. Didn't like it.

I get you. I loved many aspects of the movie like the acting and the cinematography, but the movie overall kinda goes nowhere. I saw some calling it pointless and pretentious. I don't entirely disagree.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2365 on: April 11, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »

When I saw the commercials for that movie I immediately said "so they remade Dazed and Confused?"

Heh, nope, not a remake or an actual sequel but the same director dealing with similar subject matter. At first I wasn't sure how to feel about it and it started a bit slow, but grew on me a lot over the span of two hours and was quite funny. I think some people who need a lot of plot will struggle with it (and most of his films) but if you just go along for the ride you'll enjoy it.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: April 11, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »
" Absolutely Anything "

The new Simon Pegg ( he didn't write it - just stars ) and featuring the Monty Python cast doing voices.

5/10. It was ok. Weak script.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2367 on: April 11, 2016, 01:30:47 PM »
" Absolutely Anything "

The new Simon Pegg ( he didn't write it - just stars ) and featuring the Monty Python cast doing voices.

5/10. It was ok. Weak script.

Does that surprise you?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: April 11, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »
It would if Pegg wrote it. The Cornetto Trilogy is great.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2369 on: April 12, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Assassination Classroom - A pretty strange Japanese movie about a friendly tentacle alien that has taken a huge chunk out of the moon, and plans to do the same to Earth at some point in the future, but wants a challenge, so has made a deal to train a classroom of high school students to kill him before he does. He can move at Mach 20 and fly and such, so he can easily dodge bullets, rockets, nukes, everything. A bizarre idea, but a fun movie. The sequel just came out in Japan, so I can't wait to see that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2370 on: April 12, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »
Paul. Another Simon Pegg and Nick Frost collaboration. I don't know why I enjoy this movie so much. Dialogue wise I think it's one of my favorite from those two.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: April 12, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »
I thought Paul was the weakest thing those two have done.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2372 on: April 12, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
A pretty strange Japanese movie
Aren't they all?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: April 12, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »
A pretty strange Japanese movie
Aren't they all?

The ones I watch, abso-fucking-lutely! :metal

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2374 on: April 12, 2016, 11:57:24 AM »
That's a manga translated to a live action movie after all.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2375 on: April 12, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
That's a manga translated to a live action movie after all.

Most of the ones I've watched lately have been, including Death Note and Parasyte. I really enjoy those kinds of movies, which is strange, because I'm not into manga/anime in the slightest.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: April 14, 2016, 12:07:08 PM »
I just watched the BTTF doc " Back In Time ".. It was ok. Nothing I didn't know already obviously - being a massive BTTF aficionado.

I didn't like all the sob stories though from fans. it should have been a celebration of the movie.  It was a bit miserable.

But just hearing the BTTF theme makes me well up every time. I love those films so much.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:17:28 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: April 14, 2016, 12:13:05 PM »
I just watched the BTTF doc " Back In Time ".. It was ok. Nothing I didn't know already obviously - being a massive BTTF aficionado.

I didn't like all the sob stories though from fans. it should have been a celebration of the movie.  It was a bit miserable.

Basically what my thoughts were. I backed it on Kickstarter, but was a bit disappointed with it. I'm still waiting on the other documentary, all about the restoration of the Delorean, which I think will be better.

I watched Gantz / Gantz 2. I caught half an hour of the second movie on TV a while back and it looked cool, so I watched them properly. Both pretty good, with some great effects and some cool fights, but there were many times it bugged me because it felt they could have easily shot the bad guys with their OP guns but instead they'd either go bare handed or use the sword, or spend forever aiming even when they had a point blank clear shot.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: April 14, 2016, 12:22:12 PM »
I don't think I could hear a BTTF fact I didn't already know at this point. I was obsessed with the films and bought books and all sorts about it.

Plus all the other interviews and documentaries and making-of's i've seen over the years.

One of my favourite facts is that Crispin Glover was younger than Michael J Fox when he played his father :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2379 on: April 14, 2016, 04:50:02 PM »
What are all the sob stories?  I haven't heard anything about this.