Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563316 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #2240 on: March 30, 2016, 02:25:26 AM »
Insomnia is a good recommendation. I watched a Nolan marathon on the plane and I was pleasantly surprised by this film.

It's indeed a great film!

Scary Robin Williams. Insomniac Al Pacino. Level-headed Hilary Swank. Gold.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2241 on: March 30, 2016, 07:31:59 AM »
Saw 2 - I probably enjoyed this overall about as much as the first one. I liked having more about the Jigsaw killer, and more people stuck in the game, but I felt they could have done a little more with the traps, and some of it was hard to watch, like the bit with the needles. I also recognized a lot of the actors in this one. Again, the ending tied up the movie nicely.
Uggggghhhhh "the needles" is sooooo hard to watch. I cringe still and haven't watched that movie in years!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2242 on: March 30, 2016, 07:40:45 AM »
Finally got around to seeing 1408. Not a huge John Cusack fan but I thought he was good in it and overall it was an enjoyable movie.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2243 on: March 30, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »
After watching James Gunn do a live Q&A yesterday from the set of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, went and watched m favorite marvel movie, Guardians of the Galaxy. Never gets old.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2244 on: March 30, 2016, 09:09:41 AM »
One of my favorites as well, if not my actual favorite.

Saw Thank You For Smoking a few days ago. Good movie, with some actually clever comedy that worked on many levels besides just "ooooh the goofy main character just said something silly or is in an awkward situation lol", which is what many modern comedies seems to be these days. There was both funny dialogue and good visual comedy in this one though, which is always good to see in these movies.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2245 on: March 30, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »
Glad you liked it. It really is a well written comedy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2246 on: March 30, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »
Spotlight. A bit slow but it actually paid off, unlike All the President's Men that ends the movie on a dead end with the journalists seemingly defeated, with a short tag at the end "oh btw Nixon resigned after a while".

At least this movie tells you that the cardinal responsible for all the stuff had to resign (only to get moved to one of the major archdioceses of the world but let's call that a win).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2247 on: March 30, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »
Glad you liked it. It really is a well written comedy.

I want to see this too.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2248 on: March 30, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »
The Hateful Eight, again. I still adore this movie, and I think it's actually one of Tarantino's best.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2249 on: April 01, 2016, 12:33:57 AM »
Saw 2 - I probably enjoyed this overall about as much as the first one. I liked having more about the Jigsaw killer, and more people stuck in the game, but I felt they could have done a little more with the traps, and some of it was hard to watch, like the bit with the needles. I also recognized a lot of the actors in this one. Again, the ending tied up the movie nicely.

For the record, the needles scene is the one I was referring to that always makes me feel a little sick.  To me, it is definitely one of the standout scenes of the entire franchise.  I've watched enough horror that not many scenes really make me cringe anymore, and that one always does, without fail.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2250 on: April 01, 2016, 12:44:58 AM »

For the record, the needles scene is the one I was referring to that always makes me feel a little sick.  To me, it is definitely one of the standout scenes of the entire franchise.  I've watched enough horror that not many scenes really make me cringe anymore, and that one always does, without fail.

The bit at the start where the guy was going back and forth on whether to cut his own eye out also had me looking away too. I think I'm getting wimpier in my old age. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2251 on: April 01, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »
Zootropolis. Took the kids to see it today, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. The animation was excellent and the crime caper storyline held my attention throughout. Quite a few funny moments for both adults and kids.  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2252 on: April 02, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »

The bit at the start where the guy was going back and forth on whether to cut his own eye out also had me looking away too. I think I'm getting wimpier in my old age. :lol

I'm not into those types of movies. Cube was different since it was more about the puzzle solving than the actual gore.

I hope the remake doesn't just go all out traps'n'gore and toss out the puzzle element.

Also - if it's a hit and they remake Hypercube - they surely will be able to improve on the original Cube 2. I prefer Sci Fi to Horror but that film was just BAD.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2253 on: April 02, 2016, 07:28:13 PM »

I'm not into those types of movies. Cube was different since it was more about the puzzle solving than the actual gore.

I hope the remake doesn't just go all out traps'n'gore and toss out the puzzle element.

Also - if it's a hit and they remake Hypercube - they surely will be able to improve on the original Cube 2. I prefer Sci Fi to Horror but that film was just BAD.

If the remake is successful and they do a sequel, I doubt they'll look to the original Cube sequels at all (I sure hope not). The thing I missed most from the sequels was the puzzley aspect of it. I do like to see a creative gory death when someone's time is up, but it's definitely not what draws me to the movie. I love the psychology between the characters, and slowly working out how the cube works. The sequels felt senseless to me in that regard.

Even though Saw and Saw 2 had a couple of wince inducing moments, they weren't what I'd call gore movies (maybe they ramp it up more in the other 50 Saw movies). The only such scene I recall from the first movie was the guy sawing off his own foot, and you only saw a bit of blood as he started, not giblets and stuff. The bit I mentioned in your quoted post had zero gore, it was the tease that he was going to do it that freaked me out (now that I know he doesn't do it, it wouldn't be bad to watch at all). Even though those few moments were unpleasant to watch, I don't feel like they were excessive or without purpose. I wouldn't be surprised if the later films focus more on the traps and gore though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2254 on: April 03, 2016, 02:17:00 AM »
The Haunt .. which I thought was pretty shit and The Kingsmen Secret Service with Colin Firth which was better than I thought it would be,
great 80's soundtrack especially Slave to Love by Bryan Ferry.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2255 on: April 03, 2016, 02:57:15 AM »
Safety Not Guaranteed - cheesy at moments but still enjoyable.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2256 on: April 03, 2016, 03:25:01 AM »
The Hateful Eight. It was awesome!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2257 on: April 03, 2016, 05:00:17 AM »
I introduced my 13 year old daughter to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

She was amused.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2258 on: April 03, 2016, 06:18:32 AM »
Snow White and the Hunstman

I enjoyed it.  Looking forward to the prequel coming out later this month. We'll see how it is.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2259 on: April 03, 2016, 06:21:21 AM »
Saw Trainwreck.  A good date movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2260 on: April 03, 2016, 09:44:23 AM »
Seeing American History X tonight. I'm not really looking forward to it. I nothing about it other than the teeth on the sidewalk scene, but I hope this movie has anything other than misery to offer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: April 03, 2016, 11:17:11 AM »
Oh it's not all like that at all. And that scene is not even shown. It cuts away. The rest of it is nothing like that.

It's mostly people being obnoxious and racist and shouting.

At least. I haven't seen it in a long time. I don't remember it being too bad.

A character gets shot at the end but that's about all I remember...

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2262 on: April 03, 2016, 11:44:04 AM »
Dirty Harry.

Dated, yes, but still entertaining.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2263 on: April 03, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »
Bowfinger. Really enjoyed it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2264 on: April 03, 2016, 12:26:14 PM »
Bowfinger. Really enjoyed it.

Bowfinger was great plus the last great movie either Eddie Murphy or Steve Martin made.

Fake ! Purse ! Ninjas !

:rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2265 on: April 03, 2016, 12:32:29 PM »
Seeing American History X tonight. I'm not really looking forward to it. I nothing about it other than the teeth on the sidewalk scene, but I hope this movie has anything other than misery to offer.
It's a gripping movie. I know you will like it.  That scene is disturbing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2266 on: April 03, 2016, 12:34:15 PM »
American History X is amazing, though extremely depressing. Probably one of Norton's best roles, if you ask me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2267 on: April 03, 2016, 01:31:18 PM »
Just saw American History X, and it was indeed amazing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2268 on: April 03, 2016, 01:32:21 PM »
Just saw American History X, and it was indeed amazing.

The curb stomp scene really isn't that bad. The idea of it is worse than what you actually see.

I've heard that Norton was really hard to work with as he kept demanding to re write the script.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2269 on: April 03, 2016, 04:20:58 PM »
Norton is supposedly a huge pain in the ass, which many say is why he doesn't do more high-profile films.  Regardless, no one can take away his awesome trilogy of acting of American History X, Primal Fear and Fight Club.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2270 on: April 03, 2016, 08:35:14 PM »
Zootopia a third time. STILL fantastic.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2271 on: April 04, 2016, 01:51:26 AM »

I agree that it's excellent, but why is it called Zootopia in the US and Zootropolis in the UK and elsewhere? Why create a problem for themselves creating two sets of promotional material, posters, DVD covers, etc? 

Not sure why movie studios do this. ???

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2272 on: April 04, 2016, 02:29:45 AM »

I agree that it's excellent, but why is it called Zootopia in the US and Zootropolis in the UK and elsewhere? Why create a problem for themselves creating two sets of promotional material, posters, DVD covers, etc? 

Not sure why movie studios do this. ???

copyright because of some actual zoo
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2273 on: April 04, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »
Norton is supposedly a huge pain in the ass, which many say is why he doesn't do more high-profile films. 
This is supposedly why he was disinvited to the Avengers films.

But that's OK, they got Mark Ruffalo instead, who is also a phenomenal actor.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: April 04, 2016, 10:54:22 AM »
I wonder if Norton interferes in scripts so much primarily so he can also receive a writers royalty / cheque ?

That would be my guess.

Or he is so arrogant that he thinks he can improve any script.