Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563537 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #2205 on: March 28, 2016, 06:16:15 AM »
I didn't find the first movie excessively gory at all, although I got squeamish when the guy started sawing off his foot. Even that wasn't very graphic, it was just the thought of it that was ick.

I feel what is far worse than the physical horror aspect of it, and what separates this most other kinds of movie this graphic, is the psychological aspect of it. This could actually happen. It's not some far-fetched gorefest or franchise killer like Freddy or Jason. You realize that there are people out there with Jigsaw's mentality. That's what I appreciate most about movies like Saw or Seven. It's believable. I'll take a psychological mindfuck of a movie over beaten to death horror plots any day.

I'm not a fan of typical horror movies at all, only if they have some kind of psychological element to it (been watching many psychological thrillers lately). Gore fests can be fun too, but it needs to be creative, not just gore for shock value. Jump scares and gore for gore-sake just bore me. I enjoy movies that make me think about how the characters relate to each other and what they're thinking.

I know what you mean. Straight-up gore fests do nothing for me. Like you said, it has to be creative, but sadly most aren't. Those jump-scare movies are a dime a dozen these days. Every month some new movie comes out that milks the genre. We need more movies with a deep psychological aspect, something that really fucks with your head.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2206 on: March 28, 2016, 06:25:16 AM »
I get my fix from foreign and indie films these days.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2207 on: March 28, 2016, 06:33:24 AM »

Indie films are better than almost anything mainstream. I used to watch nothing but action films, but now they bore me. I've seen it all. Now I watch a lot of film noir.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2208 on: March 28, 2016, 06:41:26 AM »
That's why I love L.A. Confidential John. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2209 on: March 28, 2016, 06:58:24 AM »
That's why I love L.A. Confidential John.

That's one of my favorite movies. I have no idea how that lost Best Picture to Titanic.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2210 on: March 28, 2016, 07:03:40 AM »

Indie films are better than almost anything mainstream.

If it's a good indie film of course! They cover the full gamut from bad to good, just like Hollywood.
But I'll take a great indie film that all takes place in one small set over yet another action movie. Good writing can make up for any other deficit, but nothing can compensate for a crap script.
If you can recommend any good indie pychological films, I'm in.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2211 on: March 28, 2016, 07:28:05 AM »
Blues Brothers

My husband would kill me if I said this out loud... but it wasn't that good. It was slow, drawn out and not as funny as I had hoped!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2212 on: March 28, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »

Indie films are better than almost anything mainstream.

If it's a good indie film of course! They cover the full gamut from bad to good, just like Hollywood.
But I'll take a great indie film that all takes place in one small set over yet another action movie. Good writing can make up for any other deficit, but nothing can compensate for a crap script.

I know of a few that I personally loved. I'm sure you've seen some of them.

Diabolique (either version but the original is better)
Jacob's Ladder
Blue Velvet
Roman Polanski's apartment trilogy (Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant)
Eyes Wide Shut (even though it has big stars in it, it's still a great Kubrick film)
Das Experiment
Zodiac (one of my favorite movies)
Insomnia (underrated gem with Pacino and Robin Williams)
Identity
A Tale of Two Sisters
Triangle (supposedly influenced by Memento)

Those are the ones that came to mind immediately. There are plenty of others.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2213 on: March 28, 2016, 07:30:51 AM »
I haven't seen any of them. I've only heard of a few of them (although the ones I've heard of didn't seem like my kind of thing). I'll look into them and check them out.

Actually, the last two I'd looked into. A Tale of Two Sisters was one I wanted to check out.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2214 on: March 28, 2016, 07:39:01 AM »
I haven't seen any of them. I've only heard of a few of them (although the ones I've heard of didn't seem like my kind of thing). I'll look into them and check them out.

Actually, the last two I'd looked into. A Tale of Two Sisters was one I wanted to check out.

ATOTS is Asian and I know you're really into Japanese films. I don't know too many Japanese psychological thrillers but that one was really...thought provoking. 

Which independent psychological movies have you liked? I might be able to get a better idea of what to recommend.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: March 28, 2016, 07:48:52 AM »

ATOTS is Asian and I know you're really into Japanese films. I don't know too many Japanese psychological thrillers but that one was really...thought provoking. 

Which independent psychological movies have you liked? I might be able to get a better idea of what to recommend.

I haven't really watched many that are both indie and psychological, they're separate areas that I've been exploring lately, and I've only just started actively looking into the psychological genre, so I don't have a lot to go on. Exam and Ex machina are both apparently classified as psychological thrillers, and I loved both of those for that aspect of it. Both Death Note movies (they're Japanese) were great for that too, especially the second film. I'll have to check out A Tale of Two Sisters just to get a bit more common ground for comparison going.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2216 on: March 28, 2016, 09:25:55 AM »
I haven't really watched many that are both indie and psychological, they're separate areas that I've been exploring lately, and I've only just started actively looking into the psychological genre, so I don't have a lot to go on. Exam and Ex machina are both apparently classified as psychological thrillers, and I loved both of those for that aspect of it. Both Death Note movies (they're Japanese) were great for that too, especially the second film. I'll have to check out A Tale of Two Sisters just to get a bit more common ground for comparison going.
Wow, glad you liked it that much! I was busy this past weekend, unfortunately, but I'll have a little more free time soon, and I'll check out your recommendations.

Well, the whole Black Mirror series is amazing, and each episode focuses on a different story with different characters, all played by not-so-big actors. The most recent episode, released in 2014 and called "White Christmas", is 75 minutes long, so you can consider it a movie, really. You can see a trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDFcTmdQqIc. When watching Time Lapse I was heavily reminded of the series, and "White Christmas" is a good representation of a lot of aspects of it - in fact, there are subtle references to every other episode, so it's like what the song "Octavarium" is to the rest of its album.

If you like it, you should check out the whole series - it's only 6 other episodes, so it doesn't take much time. Apparently there will be a new, longer season released soon on Netflix.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:05:20 AM by SebastianPratesi »

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2217 on: March 28, 2016, 09:32:12 AM »
I heard a lot of good things about Black Mirror at the time, but was only put off at the time by the fact it was such a short series. It seems to have a Twilight Zone-y feel to it, which I love, and being British on top of that, I expect I'll love this too.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2218 on: March 28, 2016, 09:35:02 AM »
Blues Brothers

My husband would kill me if I said this out loud... but it wasn't that good. It was slow, drawn out and not as funny as I had hoped!
*weeps*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2219 on: March 28, 2016, 10:06:02 AM »
I heard a lot of good things about Black Mirror at the time, but was only put off at the time by the fact it was such a short series. It seems to have a Twilight Zone-y feel to it, which I love, and being British on top of that, I expect I'll love this too.
Here are a couple more I just remembered:

1. Do you know Sybil? It's a 1976 film/TV special starring Sally Field as a young teacher suffering 'dissociative identity disorder'. The movie was a primary influence on Tears For Fears' Songs From The Big Chair, in many aspects:
-They intended to create an album in which each song had its own personality (and they succeeded, in my opinion).
-They included samples from Sally's dialogues in a b-side called "The Big Chair" (which is what Sally's character calls her 'comfort zone' in the movie).

2. 3096 Days, a 2013 German film (but spoken in English) based on real life events - the kidnapping/torturing of a young girl which lasted 8 and a half years (hence the film's name). Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjiXOISJMkE. Most of the movie is set in the house in which the girl was held captive, and in many scenes you can see her living in a small room hiding under the house, so based on your post I think you might find it interesting to watch. The movie is based on the girl's autobiography, and she even supervised some scenes/script. It really blows my mind that she was able to survive in that context for that long. I was heavily reminded of "Behind The Veil" while watching it.

I'm always interested in reading about stories like that (like Genie - the feral child - or the recent case of the Ohio girls held captive by Ariel Castro). If you happen to know of any other movie about that sort of stories (wether real or fiction) I'm all ears.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2220 on: March 28, 2016, 11:52:46 AM »

I know of a few that I personally loved. I'm sure you've seen some of them.

Diabolique (either version but the original is better)
Jacob's Ladder
Blue Velvet
Roman Polanski's apartment trilogy (Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant)
Eyes Wide Shut (even though it has big stars in it, it's still a great Kubrick film)
Das Experiment
Zodiac (one of my favorite movies)
Insomnia (underrated gem with Pacino and Robin Williams)
Identity
A Tale of Two Sisters
Triangle (supposedly influenced by Memento)

Those are the ones that came to mind immediately. There are plenty of others.
I love indie movies so thank you for this :tup

In last year or so I started watching more indie movies and some of those with elements of romance are just perfect. Much more real, personal and emotional than any Hollywood movie I've seen. For example: The Perks of Being Wallflower, Garden State, Ruby Sparks, Short Term 12, Frances Ha.
(Recommend me more if you know something similar)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2221 on: March 28, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »

In last year or so I started watching more indie movies and some of those with elements of romance are just perfect. Much more real, personal and emotional than any Hollywood movie I've seen. For example: The Perks of Being Wallflower, Garden State, Ruby Sparks, Short Term 12, Frances Ha.

My pleasure. If you're looking for indie movies with a personal/romantic touch, you have to see Lost in Translation.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2222 on: March 28, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »

My pleasure. If you're looking for indie movies with a personal/romantic touch, you have to see Lost in Translation.
I saw it last week, great movie :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2223 on: March 28, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »

I saw it last week, great movie :tup

I have been wanting to check it out again. I wish it was on Netflix. I might just have to buy the movie.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2224 on: March 28, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »
Blues Brothers

*weeps*

lol I figured there would be a few people who had this reaction. There are a few funny bits, but overall its just kinda boring. Perhaps it was the "unrated" version we watched needed the extra editing?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2225 on: March 28, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »
Blues Brothers

*weeps*

lol I figured there would be a few people who had this reaction. There are a few funny bits, but overall its just kinda boring. Perhaps it was the "unrated" version we watched needed the extra editing?

That's pretty much how I felt about it. I thought it was good, but nothing about it makes me want to watch it again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: March 28, 2016, 01:27:40 PM »
I've still not seen Blues Brothers.

I'd better see it before they remake it with Melissa McCarthy and Kirsten Wiig.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2227 on: March 28, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
I've still not seen Blues Brothers.

I'd better see it before they remake it with Melissa McCarthy and Kirsten Wiig.
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2228 on: March 28, 2016, 02:11:18 PM »
Omg, Blues Brothers is so damn good.

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2229 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
Stand by your man

RAWHIDE!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: March 28, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »
I will see it one day but it's probably one of those "at the time" movies that will seem really dated and naff if I see it for the first time now.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2231 on: March 28, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »
Probably.  I keep wanting to chime in and say "Yeah, but at the time..." and that gets old.

But at the time, it was fucking awesome.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: March 28, 2016, 02:48:13 PM »
Just so long as I see that first and not BB 2000 ;)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2233 on: March 28, 2016, 03:26:07 PM »
Blues Brothers 2000 got a lot of shit when it came out, much of it deserved, but I still thought it was a fun, silly, entertaining movie.  That's all that matters to me.  It wasn't going to win any Academy Awards, so as long as it delivered the fun, it's good.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2234 on: March 29, 2016, 02:31:40 AM »
Deadpool. Again. Now with post credits.  :biggrin:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2235 on: March 29, 2016, 03:43:05 AM »
Insomnia is a good recommendation. I watched a Nolan marathon on the plane and I was pleasantly surprised by this film.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2236 on: March 29, 2016, 07:54:35 AM »
Probably.  I keep wanting to chime in and say "Yeah, but at the time..." and that gets old.

But at the time, it was fucking awesome.
It's still awesome.  My kids love it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2237 on: March 29, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »
Agreed. I didn't watch it for the first time until 2006 or 7 and I still loved it.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2238 on: March 29, 2016, 11:31:46 AM »
Insomnia is a good recommendation. I watched a Nolan marathon on the plane and I was pleasantly surprised by this film.

It's indeed a great film!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2239 on: March 30, 2016, 01:42:46 AM »
Saw 2 - I probably enjoyed this overall about as much as the first one. I liked having more about the Jigsaw killer, and more people stuck in the game, but I felt they could have done a little more with the traps, and some of it was hard to watch, like the bit with the needles. I also recognized a lot of the actors in this one. Again, the ending tied up the movie nicely.