Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563573 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #2170 on: March 25, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
Maybe it is a good superhero movie, but to me it isn't a good movie, if that makes sense.
Not really.  I mean, the reason that the Marvel films are popular is that they are good movies.  A good movie is a good movie, and a bad movie is a bad movie, regardless of whether it's about super heroes, romance, time travel, race cars, or anything else.  It can't be a good superhero movie and still be a bad movie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2171 on: March 25, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »
What I meant was: since I'm not into that genre, and don't know how to tell wether the characters are nicely represented or not (I don't know that much about their stories anyway), I pay attention to other stuff in the film, to see if I like it or not: the acting, the music, how much special fx/animation there is, if it moves me or makes me laugh or makes me think, etc.

I didn't like anything about those aspects in this film (I didn't enjoy any of the acting; not Affleck, not Eisenberg, not Gadot), so to me it's not a good movie. That said, I do think it could still be a good superhero movie; thing is, I can't judge wether it is or not because I'm not used to them.

You know, I think Wendy's and Burger King make good fast food, but I wouldn't say they make good food. :P

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2172 on: March 25, 2016, 06:45:03 PM »
Blade Runner. Wildly intriguing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2173 on: March 25, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »
I find Blade Runner easy to admire but difficult to enjoy.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2174 on: March 26, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
I saw the theatrical cut on Netflix since that was the one available although I refuse to seek out any other versions to watch because I'm really tired of Ridley Scott movies where someone says "yeah the theatrical version sucks but watch the super secret extended Directors Cut! That's the real version." The man needs to learn how to edit a good version of a movie for the theatrical release that isn't shoddily edited.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2175 on: March 26, 2016, 04:18:31 PM »
The Martian, finally. Awesome!!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2176 on: March 27, 2016, 12:25:23 AM »
The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. Pretty great movie, kind of sad ending imo - I'd love to see more with those characters tho, but oh well.

EDIT: oh, it's based on the millennium trilogy (well, the first book), so I guess I'll read it if it's worth it (because it's quite long), or maybe just jump to the second one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:31:24 AM by Sacul »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2177 on: March 27, 2016, 12:30:48 AM »
Inside Llewyn Davis

Brilliant Coen Brothers film.   Really enjoyed it. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2178 on: March 27, 2016, 02:07:16 AM »
I really enjoyed that one! Been meaning to watch it again, haven't seen it since the theater. And I was slightly...altered at the time.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2179 on: March 27, 2016, 04:35:39 AM »
The Passion of the Christ, being Easter and stuff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2180 on: March 27, 2016, 05:16:45 AM »
I'm not religious or anything, but I think that movie is amazing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: March 27, 2016, 05:43:32 AM »
I know someone who is atheist and he wanted to see it purely because it was "Jesus being tortured for 2 hours".  ::)

I don't want to see a 2 hour torture movie no matter who it's happening to.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2182 on: March 27, 2016, 05:44:30 AM »

I liked The Martian.  I was really surprised that Half In The Bag didn't like it as it was well made and enjoyable.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2183 on: March 27, 2016, 06:58:51 AM »
I know someone who is atheist and he wanted to see it purely because it was "Jesus being tortured for 2 hours".  ::)

:rollin
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2184 on: March 27, 2016, 07:03:26 AM »

:rollin

Which is a pretty pathetic thing to say. If someone filmed Richard Dawkins or Ricky Gervais being tortured for 2 hours and released it online - I wouldn't want to watch that.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2185 on: March 27, 2016, 07:36:48 AM »

*snip*
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 07:54:11 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2186 on: March 27, 2016, 07:44:19 AM »
For Sure. For Sure.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2187 on: March 27, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
Yeah, I know a person like that and thought it was a serious asshole attitude.  I'm not at all religious but I still have a soft spot for Jesus, real or not.
And torture gets really old after a while. Have you guys seen Martyrs? At some point in that movie I was like "Really? This is still happening?? Why the fuck am I still watching a person get tortured?" :(

I liked The Martian.  I was really surprised that Half In The Bag didn't like it as it was well made and enjoyable.

Yeah, it felt a bit long after a while, but mostly moved at a good pace and was very well done. Funny, suspenseful, sad. And Damon did a great job.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2188 on: March 27, 2016, 02:54:21 PM »
The Imitation Game.

Absolutely brilliant.   Head to toe amaing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2189 on: March 27, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »
The Imitation Game.

Absolutely brilliant.   Head to toe amaing.

Agreed. One of the best recent movies I've seen.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2190 on: March 27, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »
10 Cloverfield Lane ... I don't want to give away any spoilers .. it was pretty good .. I probably could have waited for the DVD release.  :smiley:

Also The Loved Ones .. an Australian movie from a few years back a review said Pretty in Pink meets Wolf Creek that pretty much sums it up.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2191 on: March 27, 2016, 09:26:04 PM »
Sixth Sense. Very interesting to see Bruce Willis not saving the world, but a child's life. Also, the feels here, and the amazing ending  :o

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2192 on: March 27, 2016, 09:34:03 PM »
Saw - I've never seen any of these, but was in the mood to check it out. It was good overall, but then started to annoy me a bit towards the end when everyone was too stupid to just kill the dude, but then I liked how the ending tied it together. I was hoping the movie would focus more on the guys in the room trying to escape rather than the rest. Still deciding if I'll watch more.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2193 on: March 27, 2016, 10:58:51 PM »
Saw - I've never seen any of these, but was in the mood to check it out. It was good overall, but then started to annoy me a bit towards the end when everyone was too stupid to just kill the dude, but then I liked how the ending tied it together. I was hoping the movie would focus more on the guys in the room trying to escape rather than the rest. Still deciding if I'll watch more.

If you like the first one, I think the second and third movies are worth seeing.  Personally, the second is probably my favorite in the series.  After the third, the quality goes downhill, in my opinion. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2194 on: March 27, 2016, 11:02:49 PM »

If you like the first one, I think the second and third movies are worth seeing.  Personally, the second is probably my favorite in the series.  After the third, the quality goes downhill, in my opinion. 

With that kind of franchise, I usually expect the quality to instantly drop, but as long as it's still entertaining I don't mind. Without any spoilers, is there any specific reason you prefer the second?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2195 on: March 27, 2016, 11:28:48 PM »

With that kind of franchise, I usually expect the quality to instantly drop, but as long as it's still entertaining I don't mind. Without any spoilers, is there any specific reason you prefer the second?

Not really.  I mean, for one thing, it is the one I find most disturbing.  There's one scene in particular that legitimately makes me feel a little sick every time I watch it, yet I keep watching it again and again, because that sort of visceral fascination is basically the whole point of the series for me. 

I also think it's just a more interesting movie than most of its brethren.  And even though I went into it expecting a big twist after the first one, it still managed to surprise me quite a bit.  While I enjoyed the rest of the series, none of them after the second really surprised me.  It also helps that there's a couple of actors I really like in this one. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2196 on: March 27, 2016, 11:50:51 PM »
I just noticed it has Donny Wahlberg in it. I'm in!

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2197 on: March 28, 2016, 12:10:59 AM »
I love the Saw movies. Watch them all! The quality does drop in some of the movies, but even the ending in the last one links all the movies together.
I watch the entire series at least once a year, not to mention created by a couple of Australian guys!  :smiley:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2198 on: March 28, 2016, 01:54:22 AM »
I always found the idea of the Saw movies to be pretty sick, so I'll probably never watch any of them. Same thing with Final Destination.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2199 on: March 28, 2016, 01:57:13 AM »
I always found the idea of the Saw movies to be pretty sick, so I'll probably never watch any of them. Same thing with Final Destination.

I enjoyed the Final Destination movies (only seen the first 3). I don't remember them being especially gory for that kind of movie, but I enjoyed the elaborate and creative setups for some of the deaths and the buildups, almost like a Rube Goldberg machine at times. :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2200 on: March 28, 2016, 02:57:07 AM »
Saw movies for me are not just typical horror movies but really well made movies (there are some better, some worse). And sometimes it is shown as super gory movie on the Internet or Tv but it really isn't.
Sixth Sense. Very interesting to see Bruce Willis not saving the world, but a child's life. Also, the feels here, and the amazing ending  :o

One of my favorite movies ever :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2201 on: March 28, 2016, 03:53:03 AM »
I didn't find the first movie excessively gory at all, although I got squeamish when the guy started sawing off his foot. Even that wasn't very graphic, it was just the thought of it that was ick.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2202 on: March 28, 2016, 04:29:21 AM »
Last movie I saw was.... The Force Awakens.

Couldn't manage to see it in the very first days and then spoilers appeared online and so I just lost interest.

I remember posting on FB something I meant only half jokingly, "What if I write to Disney and tell them I'm not gonna see the movie and therefore they're not gonna cash on my ticket 'cause some people have nothing better to do than writing spoilers in random places of the internet when you don't expect them?"

It's a bit extreme, but the thought of studio companies hunting you down 'cause you deliberately spoil movies is funny to say the least  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2203 on: March 28, 2016, 05:41:33 AM »
I didn't find the first movie excessively gory at all, although I got squeamish when the guy started sawing off his foot. Even that wasn't very graphic, it was just the thought of it that was ick.

I feel what is far worse than the physical horror aspect of it, and what separates this most other kinds of movie this graphic, is the psychological aspect of it. This could actually happen. It's not some far-fetched gorefest or franchise killer like Freddy or Jason. You realize that there are people out there with Jigsaw's mentality. That's what I appreciate most about movies like Saw or Seven. It's believable. I'll take a psychological mindfuck of a movie over beaten to death horror plots any day.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2204 on: March 28, 2016, 06:10:54 AM »

I feel what is far worse than the physical horror aspect of it, and what separates this most other kinds of movie this graphic, is the psychological aspect of it. This could actually happen. It's not some far-fetched gorefest or franchise killer like Freddy or Jason. You realize that there are people out there with Jigsaw's mentality. That's what I appreciate most about movies like Saw or Seven. It's believable. I'll take a psychological mindfuck of a movie over beaten to death horror plots any day.

I'm not a fan of typical horror movies at all, only if they have some kind of psychological element to it (been watching many psychological thrillers lately). Gore fests can be fun too, but it needs to be creative, not just gore for shock value. Jump scares and gore for gore-sake just bore me. I enjoy movies that make me think about how the characters relate to each other and what they're thinking.