Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563340 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #2100 on: March 21, 2016, 01:31:58 PM »
None of you have probably seen it but I was browsing NETFLIX and saw that 1981 English movie " Condor man " was on there and that was a favourite when i was little.

Michael Crawford ( Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em ) playing an American cartoonist who becomes a secret agent.

Oliver Reed giving it everything he's got.

Really cheap in some places but has a nice car chase sequence. Pretty fun overall.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2101 on: March 21, 2016, 02:35:25 PM »
None of you have probably seen it but I was browsing NETFLIX and saw that 1981 English movie " Condor man " was on there and that was a favourite when i was little.

Michael Crawford ( Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em ) playing an American cartoonist who becomes a secret agent.

Really cheap in some places but has a nice car chase sequence. Pretty fun overall.

I just about remember it. Watched it maybe once or twice when I was wee. I might give it a blast on Netflix for a laugh.

Speaking of Michael Crawford, did you see the sketch he did for Sport Relief the other day, where he reprised his role as Frank Spencer? Very funny!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2102 on: March 21, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »

Haven't seen it in years, but it was also one of my favorites as a kid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2103 on: March 21, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »
I remember Condor Man from when I was young.  I remember liking it then, but I have no idea how it would hold up now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2104 on: March 21, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »
It's still good. Not embarrassingly bad. Just a few obvious blue screen scenes. Other than that it's fine.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2105 on: March 21, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
Parasyte: Part 1 (2014) - A cool Japanese film where these alien parasites are taking over people's bodies as hosts by worming into people's ears and eating their brains, and then they need to eat other people to survive. One of the parasites fails to get into a kid's ear and instead only takes over his right hand, so he has this little eye and mouth in his hand and it can morph into different stuff, and then it helps the kid fight other invaded bodies otherwise they'd both die.
Now I'll have to watch the sequel.

The Machine (2013) - I'm a sucker for anything with robots in it, so I had to check it out. It started off very well, with the Turing test scenes, but became a bit more standard by the end with the evolved AI fighting against the humans, and the AI becoming too human in ways that didn't make much sense except to mimic not evolve. Still a good movie, but it could have been better.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2106 on: March 22, 2016, 04:02:59 AM »
So I've just watched The Big Lebowski... why is this film so loved?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2107 on: March 22, 2016, 04:53:16 AM »
Because it's a great movie? :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2108 on: March 22, 2016, 05:15:15 AM »

I'm with you. Didn't think it was all that good.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2109 on: March 22, 2016, 06:21:50 AM »
Parasyte: Part 1 (2014) - A cool Japanese film where these alien parasites are taking over people's bodies as hosts by worming into people's ears and eating their brains, and then they need to eat other people to survive. One of the parasites fails to get into a kid's ear and instead only takes over his right hand, so he has this little eye and mouth in his hand and it can morph into different stuff, and then it helps the kid fight other invaded bodies otherwise they'd both die.

Ha, I'm interested in watching that. Some Japanese films are weird indeed! (I once watched some tentacle softcore. It was hot, though :P)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2110 on: March 22, 2016, 06:35:19 AM »

Ha, I'm interested in watching that. Some Japanese films are weird indeed! (I once watched some tentacle softcore. It was hot, though :P)

I've never watched anything like that (it's either a regular Japanese movie, or regular Japanese hardcore, no weird inbetweens for me :P)
I'm watching part 2 right now. It's interesting how often in Japan they'll shoot the first two movies together and release them close together. It gives a good continuity, and means the first movie introduces things that aren't paid off until the next movie.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2111 on: March 22, 2016, 07:12:33 AM »

Parasyte is originally a manga with supernatural elements so it's difficult to adapt it into a live action movie without appearing weird  ;D
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: March 22, 2016, 07:16:03 AM »
The weirdness is what I love about Japanese movies, and I'm not even into the original manga of any of the ones I've watched. Hollywood movies are relatively safe and predictable and follow similar structures, so I enjoy watching a movie where you can't predict what direction it will take, or see far out there ideas you haven't seen before.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2113 on: March 22, 2016, 07:30:58 AM »
Not Japanese, but have any of you guys watched Shaolin Soccer? Great Asian comedy in my opinion.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: March 22, 2016, 07:36:16 AM »
I haven't seen that one, but I've seen Kung Fu Hustle, a similar style of movie later produced by the same company.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2115 on: March 22, 2016, 07:53:19 AM »

I'm with you. Didn't think it was all that good.

I finally saw The Big Lebowski some time last year, and it completely divided me.  I thought it was well made, well directed, and very cleverly written.  The characters were well written and well fleshed out, and the story was weird but interesting.  All that said, and even as I couldn't turn it off, I didn't really like it.  John Goodman's character was just so obnoxious, so annoying, that every time he came on screen I wanted to just change the channel.  David Huddleston was almost as bad.  Jeff Bridges was great, as always, and so was Philip Seymour Hoffman, of course.  They saved it for me.

It's not even "my kind" of movie.  Character studies usually bore me.  But if I'm flipping channels and catch it, I'll watch it, usually until John Goodman comes on and goes into one of his rants, then I remember why I can't watch this movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2116 on: March 22, 2016, 08:29:26 AM »
I haven't seen that one, but I've seen Kung Fu Hustle, a similar style of movie later produced by the same company.

I've seen both. Stephen Chow isn't it ?

*checks wiki*

Yes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: March 22, 2016, 09:10:38 AM »

I've seen both. Stephen Chow isn't it ?

*checks wiki*

Yes.

I didn't know the name, but I knew they were related somehow. Kung Fu Hustle was a fun one.

I just finished Parasyte part 2, probably even better than the first one. Except at the end he punched the crazy knife dude in the face to knock him away and then saved his girlfriend, then they're lying there talking and stuff. What happened to the knife dude? You only gave him one punch, he can't have been out that long. He gonna knife you good! :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2118 on: March 22, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »
I finally saw The Big Lebowski some time last year, and it completely divided me.  I thought it was well made, well directed, and very cleverly written.  The characters were well written and well fleshed out, and the story was weird but interesting.  All that said, and even as I couldn't turn it off, I didn't really like it.  John Goodman's character was just so obnoxious, so annoying, that every time he came on screen I wanted to just change the channel.

These are pretty much precisely my thoughts as well.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2119 on: March 22, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »
I didn't know the name, but I knew they were related somehow. Kung Fu Hustle was a fun one.

I just finished Parasyte part 2, probably even better than the first one. Except at the end he punched the crazy knife dude in the face to knock him away and then saved his girlfriend, then they're lying there talking and stuff. What happened to the knife dude? You only gave him one punch, he can't have been out that long. He gonna knife you good! :lol
This next one is an extra large weekend for us - Thursday, Friday, and Saturday/Sunday. Surely I'll check Parasyte and Kung Fu Hustle one of those days - I liked Time Lapse, and it seems we share the interest in some movie genres/styles.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2120 on: March 23, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »
If you don't watch Kung Fury, then it is no use to watch any other movie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2121 on: March 23, 2016, 07:49:11 AM »
Kung Fury was special. It's a shame it was only half an hour or so, because I'd love to see that as a full length movie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2122 on: March 23, 2016, 07:49:49 AM »
Kung Fury was special. It's a shame it was only half an hour or so, because I'd love to see that as a full length movie.
The world could not endure more than 30 minutes of that level of Awesome.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2123 on: March 23, 2016, 07:52:24 AM »
The world could not endure more than 30 minutes of that level of Awesome.

Why would I need to endure it? That's how I want to go!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2124 on: March 23, 2016, 08:09:51 AM »
lol

I would love to see a sequel, but I have no idea how to improve on the original.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: March 23, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
Kung Fury was alright. It definitely suffered from trying way too hard.

I liked the VFX of Thor falling into the river.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2126 on: March 23, 2016, 02:32:22 PM »
X men first class

A solid movie on its own, but elevated to being a movie that I love by Kevin Bacon's crazy, super confident, diabolical performance. Add to that Fassbender, who is incredible and you get one hell of a movie.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:39:21 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2127 on: March 23, 2016, 06:10:39 PM »
Awesome movie. I'm always rooting for Magneto.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2128 on: March 23, 2016, 11:47:52 PM »
Zootopia again. Better than the first time I saw it.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2129 on: March 24, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
Kung Fury was both amazing and the worst thing I ever saw  :rollin
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: March 24, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »
Just watched Drunken Master II, with Jackie Chan. There's something to do with stopping these bad foreigners from exporting ancient artifacts, but the best part of the premise is that when Jackie Chan gets drunk, he becomes the best fighter ever in the fighting style of "drunken boxing".

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2131 on: March 24, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.
I don't think I've watched this movie since I first saw it in the early 90s. I have to say it actually holds up pretty well. It's a lot clever than I thought it was with the usage of the historical figures. Most excellent movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2132 on: March 24, 2016, 10:21:04 AM »
I don't think I've watched this movie since I first saw it in the early 90s. I have to say it actually holds up pretty well. It's a lot clever than I thought it was with the usage of the historical figures. Most excellent movie.

I love that one. Pure silliness..  :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: March 24, 2016, 10:24:39 AM »

I love that one. Pure silliness..  :tup

I love both movies. :tup
I don't have high hopes for the sequel, if that eer ends up going ahead, because you can't recapture that period in time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: March 24, 2016, 10:37:01 AM »
I didn't enjoy Bogus Journey the last time I rewatched it.