Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563456 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #2030 on: March 17, 2016, 09:06:17 AM »
I think if they remade Cube, they could make something neat out of it (depending on who does it). The original was a nice little film, though effects a bit dated now. But it was more about the psychology behind it, and not the traps themselves.

They are actually remaking Cube, so if they stick to the original premise and update it, it could be really great. I'm looking forward to seeing what direction they take.
I expected Cube to look worse, but they did a pretty good job of not using too many effects, so I felt it held up ok, at least at the low quality I was viewing it at.

Oh, did not know that. Still, makes sense. It's the kind of film you can make on a low budget (the original sure was) and crank out, get maybe 10-15 million dollars in the first weekend.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2031 on: March 17, 2016, 09:15:26 AM »
I saw The Departed on the flight home from Florida on Saturday.  Still traumatized by it.  :lol  I like gritty, to an extent, but this film really pushed the envelope.  Still, lots of things were done well.
Mm, I haven't watched that one until the end - whenever I found it on TV, I always watched the first 20 or 30 minutes. Still, it has DeNiro so it has to be good, right? I might give it another chance.

I think the most traumatizing movie I've seen is 3096 (or 3096 Days), a German movie from 2013 about a real event. I don't think John has mentioned it, but I'd swear it was part of the influence behind the "Behind The Veil" lyrics.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2032 on: March 17, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »
DeNiro isn't in The Departed, but everyone else is. :P Leo, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen etc

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2033 on: March 17, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
I saw The Departed on the flight home from Florida on Saturday.  Still traumatized by it.  :lol  I like gritty, to an extent, but this film really pushed the envelope.  Still, lots of things were done well.

Watching any movie on a plane makes everything traumatizing.

I really like The Departed though, I saw it when I was pretty young and I still remember it was probably the most tense thing I had ever watched at the time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2034 on: March 17, 2016, 11:06:57 AM »
Have you watched Exam? Like I said, it's similar to Cube, and it's really grounded on reality - there are no special effects or anything of the sort. It's a fairly simple premise, so if you liked Cube, you might find it interesting (I would comment on something else but I wouldn't want to spoil it).

I just finished with Exam. I quite enjoyed that one! I was slightly surprised that soaking their paper wasn't considered spoiling it, but no matter. I got excited when I saw Gemma Chan was in it, but she got eliminated right away. :(
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2035 on: March 17, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »
DeNiro isn't in The Departed, but everyone else is. :P Leo, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen etc
You're right! Sorry, I sometimes mix DeNiro and Nicholson (since I was young they have always been the two 'oldies but goldies' actors I like most). I was also thinking of DeNiro in Freelancers - also a crime movie - so I got confused.

I just finished with Exam. I quite enjoyed that one! I was slightly surprised that soaking their paper wasn't considered spoiling it, but no matter. I got excited when I saw Gemma Chan was in it, but she got eliminated right away. :(
Good to hear! If you happen to like some other movies similar to this one (or Time Lapse) which you'd recommend, I'm all ears ;)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2036 on: March 17, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »
Those mob guys look all alike anyway. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: March 17, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »
I think if they remade Cube, they could make something neat out of it (depending on who does it). The original was a nice little film, though effects a bit dated now. But it was more about the psychology behind it, and not the traps themselves.

They are actually remaking Cube, so if they stick to the original premise and update it, it could be really great. I'm looking forward to seeing what direction they take.
I expected Cube to look worse, but they did a pretty good job of not using too many effects, so I felt it held up ok, at least at the low quality I was viewing it at.

Have you watched Cube Zero yet ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2038 on: March 17, 2016, 10:35:04 PM »

Have you watched Cube Zero yet ?

Yes, I posted my thoughts on the last page. Did not care for it at all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: March 17, 2016, 10:37:14 PM »
I thought the one eyed dude was funny. And I preferred it to Cube 2 which was mostly silly and wasted potential.

My brother and I always laugh at when the blind girl in Cube 2 says " I was afraid they'd put me in the cube. So I hid in the one place they'd never look.....in the cube "

:rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: March 17, 2016, 10:40:31 PM »
I felt both wasted their potential. Cube Zero didn't spend enough time in the cube for my liking, and when it did, it wasn't under the circumstances that created the most suspense and drama as in the first movie. And I didn't care for the bits about the guys running the cube at all. One eyed dude was ok, but he either needed to be less cheesy, or much more cheesy.

And yes, I found the blind girl's logic to be pretty silly. Try to put me in the cube? I'll show them! I'll hide in the cube!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: March 17, 2016, 10:44:38 PM »
I always liked the scene when Dodd swallows the chip for the cube and Jax taps his pen on his teeth... :lol

Funny moment. I liked his acting.

But yeah the first film is by far the best.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2042 on: March 18, 2016, 04:04:25 PM »
Primer. Fortunately, there is great explanation on Youtube. One of the most complicated movies I ever saw (time travel).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2043 on: March 18, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »
Now that I'm finally done watching the whole series of Lost, I can focus on checking out some new movies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2044 on: March 18, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
Primer. Fortunately, there is great explanation on Youtube. One of the most complicated movies I ever saw (time travel).

Good movie. I was with it up until the ending. Then I had no idea :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2045 on: March 18, 2016, 04:23:06 PM »
I like Primer a lot, but I'll admit I had to find an explanation online to even begin to make sense of the last third of the movie. :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2046 on: March 18, 2016, 04:26:45 PM »
Now that I'm finally done watching the whole series of Lost, I can focus on checking out some new movies.

I didn't want to mention it earlier, and not strictly movie related, but that ending was massively disappointing to me. One of the worst ever, considering I loved the rest of the series.  :'(

What did you think of it??

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2047 on: March 18, 2016, 04:33:08 PM »

I didn't want to mention it earlier, and not strictly movie related, but that ending was massively disappointing to me. One of the worst ever, considering I loved the rest of the series.  :'(

It was a bit of a letdown. The last two seasons weren't the best. I had a few different ideas as to how they were going to end it, and the ending they used was one of them, but one that I wasn't hoping for.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2048 on: March 18, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »

It was a bit of a letdown. The last two seasons weren't the best. I had a few different ideas as to how they were going to end it, and the ending they used was one of them, but one that I wasn't hoping for.

I think ultimately they ran out of steam towards the end. The annoying thing is, I read a fan theory back in season two about how it would all end. I ignored it at the time as total crap, but it turned out to be pretty accurate.

Still, some really strong and memorable characters, and lots of unexpected twists and turns.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2049 on: March 18, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »

I think ultimately they ran out of steam towards the end. The annoying thing is, I read a fan theory back in season two about how it would all end. I ignored it at the time as total crap, but it turned out to be pretty accurate.

Still, some really strong and memorable characters, and lots of unexpected twists and turns.

How would you have preferred to see it end?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2050 on: March 18, 2016, 05:52:25 PM »
Upon rewatching Lost I think the latter season are actually some of the stronger. Less filler, fewer episodes and more to the point. Probably my all time favorite show to be honest.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2051 on: March 18, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »
What did you think about them doing the sideways purgatory universe in season 6?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2052 on: March 18, 2016, 06:39:34 PM »
I liked it quite a bit. The main reason I loved the finale was that emotionally it was such a rewarding episode, and a lot of those side-flashes eventually paid off in a very satisfying way emotionally. Whether the mystery on the island could have taken other turns, that's a whole other conversation, but I think the spiritual ideas of having the characters meet up again in the afterlife was fitting, considering the whole show (since s1) had been about the characters, how they were all connected and the fact that it wasn't coincidence that they all ended up on the island in the first place.

Personally I didn't mind where they went with the story on the island either. Some of it was really cool, and it wasn't what you would expect. My only real issue would be that when you look back at it after seeing S6, there's all these landmarks, places and let's not forget other people who show up on the island, and it just seemed a bit weird that they didn't stumble upon some of them sooner. Sure, a big island, they kept mainly to their safe places, but still! :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2053 on: March 18, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
There are definitely a lot of unanswered questions.

I was happy to see the characters meet up again at the end. I liked the purgatory story in the sixth season. I guess I just wish there was some more closure with the unanswered questions, though I'm sure it just means it wasn't integral to the meaning of the story.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2054 on: March 18, 2016, 07:07:43 PM »

I was happy to see the characters meet up again at the end. I liked the purgatory story in the sixth season. I guess I just wish there was some more closure with the unanswered questions, though I'm sure it just means it wasn't integral to the meaning of the story.

I don't mind the unanswered questions to be honest. I think the major ones got answered, and for the rest, it's nice that you get your own interpretation of what you think happened. :) But I guess we're kinda de-railing a movie thread with talk about Lost now.:P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2055 on: March 18, 2016, 07:36:11 PM »

I don't mind the unanswered questions to be honest. I think the major ones got answered, and for the rest, it's nice that you get your own interpretation of what you think happened. :) But I guess we're kinda de-railing a movie thread with talk about Lost now.:P

One of the numbers is 23. 23 is a reference to Jack Shepherd. Psalm 23 begins The Lord is my shepherd. So I'm trying to figure out the other number meanings. I'm pretty sure 42 is taken from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

But yes, we're derailing the movie thread.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2056 on: March 18, 2016, 08:44:40 PM »
Plus, there might be people who are still gonna watch Lost and don't expect to see spoilers of it in a movie thread.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: March 18, 2016, 09:03:52 PM »
I like Primer a lot, but I'll admit I had to find an explanation online to even begin to make sense of the last third of the movie. :lol

I was fine up until the last 10 minutes of the movie, then I lost track a bit. I understood it fine on second viewing though. I don't think it's too confusing, it just moves really fast, and the amateur directing doesn't present it as well as it could in places.
And don't watch the guy's next movie Upstream Color. Fucking awful.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2058 on: March 18, 2016, 09:45:38 PM »
Okay, someone recommend a movie - a good movie.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: March 18, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »

Anything in particular you're in the mood for?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2060 on: March 18, 2016, 10:06:25 PM »

Rocky III.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2061 on: March 18, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »

A Serious Man

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2062 on: March 18, 2016, 10:32:32 PM »

Anything in particular you're in the mood for?

No actions movies. Something more personal, like Lost in Translation or Ghost World.

Rocky III.

No. I've seen it and it didn't do much for me. Thank you, though.   :)

A Serious Man

That's a possibility. It's one of the few Coen Brother's movies that I haven't seen.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2063 on: March 18, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »
I watched Inside Out tonight.  It was good.  Pixar movies are so good.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2064 on: March 18, 2016, 11:05:49 PM »

I was fine up until the last 10 minutes of the movie, then I lost track a bit. I understood it fine on second viewing though. I don't think it's too confusing, it just moves really fast, and the amateur directing doesn't present it as well as it could in places.
And don't watch the guy's next movie Upstream Color. Fucking awful.

I liked Upstream Color. :lol