Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563466 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1995 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:37 PM »
I'm downloading Cube right now, so we can consider it a trade. :lol

OK, so I just finished watching Time Lapse. Wow! Great movie! I'm usually a bit slow when it comes to short, quick explanations of past events or flashbacks, so I had to pause the movie a couple of times to think about what had just happened. Still, overall easy to follow, and really addictive.

Having said that, the acting/dialogues felt weak to me - like too forced. But, great story/concept. Reminded me of Black Mirror (which I love).

A couple of things which caught my attention:

1. The party they hold at the beginning of the movie has already started by 8pm. Wow, Americans start parties way early! (in my country, parties usually start at 11pm at the very earliest - which I find annoying)

2. I'm not very creative when it comes to things left to the imagination. What do you think is on the last photo? If I understood correctly, I assume a day-time version of the photo with the "Police - Do Not Cross" warnings. Right?

3. I just discovered there are actually two Panabaker girls, which look exactly the same! Boy are they gorgeous :heart

Over here a party would have started that early too. You must be one hell of a party country!
I didn't really have a problem with the acting overall. It wasn't amazing, but it didn't take me out of the story either. I found the dialogue very forced at the start of the movie, but I was fine with it once it got moving. With a movie like this, sometimes you just have to get information out.
You're probably right on question 2, I don't think it would be anything profound. I think the point of the last photo is just to show that their future is now uncertain/unknown. I still wanted to see it though, dangit! :lol
I also was unaware there are two Panabaker girls. When the movie only has a handful of main characters, it's nice to have someone pleasing on the eye.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1996 on: March 16, 2016, 12:16:55 AM »
Just watched Knife in the Head/Messer im Kopf.

Damn! Bruno Ganz is awesome.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1997 on: March 16, 2016, 03:29:50 AM »
I just watched Cube. I thought this was going to feel more budget, but they managed to do a lot with that one set and keep it interesting and maintain the tension. That first death was brutal. Quite an enjoyable film. I'll definitely be watching the sequel soon.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: March 16, 2016, 06:17:24 AM »
The sequel is nowhere near as good.  It's a cool idea and that's it. It's really brightly lit and the acting is way worse.

I prefer the prequel Cube Zero.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: March 16, 2016, 06:21:55 AM »
I'll most likely check them both out either way. I don't expect either one to match the original based on what I've read.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2000 on: March 16, 2016, 06:27:58 AM »
The one eyed dude in Cube Zero steals the show.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: March 16, 2016, 06:32:59 AM »
I like him already. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2002 on: March 16, 2016, 06:40:10 AM »
Cube 2 is futuristic and super bright.

Cube Zero is mostly outside the cube and the Cube is even older than the first film.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2003 on: March 16, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »
The one eyed dude in Cube Zero steals the show.
Wait, don't spoil it for me - I'll watch it tonight! :corn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2004 on: March 16, 2016, 01:44:51 PM »
Saw that Disney's Marvel's Captain America 2 : The Winter Soldier is on Netflix.

Watching it now.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2005 on: March 16, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »
Saw that Disney's Marvel's Captain America 2 : The Winter Soldier is on Netflix.

Watching it now.

It's a fantastic movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: March 16, 2016, 01:53:26 PM »
It has to be better than the first one. Not even Hugo Weaving could save it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: March 16, 2016, 01:56:09 PM »
It is much better.  A great mix of old school stunts mixed with CGI that seems natural.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2008 on: March 16, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »
It has to be better than the first one. Not even Hugo Weaving could save it.
??? The first one was fine.

But the second is quite a bit better.  It is my favorite of the Marvel films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2009 on: March 16, 2016, 02:03:24 PM »
Mine as well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2010 on: March 16, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »
It's not my favorite, but it's up there. And I agree, the first one was fine, but it's one of my least favorite MCU movies.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2011 on: March 16, 2016, 02:06:10 PM »
It's not my favorite, but it's up there. And I agree, the first one was fine, but it's one of my least favorite MCU movies.

The Hulk movie takes that trophy for me.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2012 on: March 16, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »
Winter Soldier is probably my favorite CB movie to date. There's only one scene I really didn't care for, but beyond that, it was just great.

I have feeling (and hope), though that Civil War might take that spot.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: March 16, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
Winter Soldier is probably my favorite CB movie to date. There's only one scene I really didn't care for, but beyond that, it was just great.

I hope so to.  If it does, the Russo brothers will be on a big run with the Infinity Wars coming that they are directing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: March 16, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »

CB movie ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: March 16, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »
...haha what's with the two establishing shots when cap and Natasha get to New Jersey ? That was funny.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2016 on: March 16, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #2017 on: March 16, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »
...haha what's with the two establishing shots when cap and Natasha get to New Jersey ? That was funny.

What a strange issue to take. Is that when they go to the secret base thing that used to be where he trained? That was the scene I had an issue with.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: March 16, 2016, 03:07:07 PM »
It's just after they're in the Apple store and they find out they need to go to NJ.

You see a car pass the NJ sign and then it pans to another car which then drives past the sign.

It was funny.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: March 16, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »
Gary Shandling in this film is a bit weird :P

Online Adami

« Reply #2020 on: March 16, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »
Gary Shandling in this film is a bit weird :P

It was a cool little Iron Man 2 reprise. I like those little things. :) Or the president from Iron Man 3 showing up on Shield. Makes the universe feel a bit more cohesive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2021 on: March 16, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
I'm not an MCU fan. I've seen Iron Man 2 but barely remember anything from it.

I just thought it was funny Garry Shandling was in it at all. Not in any reference to previous movies.

I just watched Winter Soldier because I saw it was on Netflix.

If I ever see Avengers 2 on Netflix  - i'll see that too.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2022 on: March 16, 2016, 11:59:14 PM »
It's just after they're in the Apple store and they find out they need to go to NJ.

You see a car pass the NJ sign and then it pans to another car which then drives past the sign.

It was funny.

I suggest you not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: March 17, 2016, 12:59:33 AM »
Cube 2: Hypercube

I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as the first, but it was watchable. The first movie had a sense of progression and purpose. This movie had very little of that, it was just mostly randomness. The first movie was grounded in reality, and was like a puzzle that felt like you were supposed to find a solution to the complexity of it. This was just a cube designed to screw with you, no established rules for the characters or the viewer, so there was no payoff. The ambiguity of the cube's function in the first movie meant it focused on the characters getting out, and every character seemed to have a function in solving it. In this movie every character had a connection to the cube, but no real purpose to the story itself. Explaining the cube just took away from the cube concept itself. Then we had the generic bland character as the reasonable character you knew would last the longest (and didn't seem connected to the story at all), and the psycho for no reason killing everyone. In the first movie you felt some buildup to the violence, with betrayal and mistrust. The characters all found each other quickly in this one, so it detracted from the scope of the cube's size. The cube was boring, with no visual variation or sense of movement to another location. The deaths were ok, but there weren't creative, the rooms didn't have many cool traps, just weird strangeness, and there was no order to the way the rooms moved. It was just an aimless movie to me.

I'm glad the third movie is a prequel, because it appears as if the cube will be brought back more to the realism of the first movie.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2024 on: March 17, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »
OK, different strokes I guess ;)

Have you watched Exam? Like I said, it's similar to Cube, and it's really grounded on reality - there are no special effects or anything of the sort. It's a fairly simple premise, so if you liked Cube, you might find it interesting (I would comment on something else but I wouldn't want to spoil it).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:07:59 AM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2025 on: March 17, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »
The Soloist

RDJ and Jamie Foxx. Pretty darn good, definitely some moments that make you choke up.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: March 17, 2016, 08:08:56 AM »
Have you watched Exam? Like I said, it's similar to Cube, and it's really grounded on reality - there are no special effects or anything of the sort. It's a fairly simple premise, so if you liked Cube, you might find it interesting (I would comment on something else but I wouldn't want to spoil it).

Never heard of it, so it might be fun to go into that one blind. I'll check it out.

I just finished Cube Zero, and it was the worst of the bunch imo. It spent the first half of the movie with mostly just two dudes arguing about the menial running of the cube. Then the second half they finally got to the characters in the cube, but instantly rigged it by removing all of the room labels and adding traps to every room, and it was cheesy as hell with the one eyed dude and the super soldier. The more they try to explain the cube in these movies, the worse it gets. The concept still had a lot of unexplored potential, but the cube became less and less utilized in each movie.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2027 on: March 17, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »
I think if they remade Cube, they could make something neat out of it (depending on who does it). The original was a nice little film, though effects a bit dated now. But it was more about the psychology behind it, and not the traps themselves.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2028 on: March 17, 2016, 08:35:42 AM »
I think if they remade Cube, they could make something neat out of it (depending on who does it). The original was a nice little film, though effects a bit dated now. But it was more about the psychology behind it, and not the traps themselves.

They are actually remaking Cube, so if they stick to the original premise and update it, it could be really great. I'm looking forward to seeing what direction they take.
I expected Cube to look worse, but they did a pretty good job of not using too many effects, so I felt it held up ok, at least at the low quality I was viewing it at.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2029 on: March 17, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
I saw The Departed on the flight home from Florida on Saturday.  Still traumatized by it.  :lol  I like gritty, to an extent, but this film really pushed the envelope.  Still, lots of things were done well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."