Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563313 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1960 on: March 14, 2016, 01:13:29 AM »
Just finished Death Note 2. A lot more to take in than the first one, with a lot more plotting involving the rules of the death note, and there were one or two potential plotholes in the logic that annoy me a bit, but overall a pretty awesome follow up to the first movie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1961 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:19 AM »
Jackie Brown. I don't know why I waited for so long to see it. Probably my third favorite Tarantino movie(after Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1962 on: March 14, 2016, 06:34:38 AM »
I need to watch that one again. Everybody should be watching Pi today instead, though :p

I already put it on my laptop so I'll be watching it later. :blob:

But today is 14.3  :justjen

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1963 on: March 14, 2016, 06:37:53 AM »
I need to watch that one again. Everybody should be watching Pi today instead, though :p

I already put it on my laptop so I'll be watching it later. :blob:

But today is 14.3  :justjen

Then don't watch it.  ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1964 on: March 14, 2016, 06:49:18 AM »
I'm sure he won't. :lol Neither will I, since I've never heard of the movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1965 on: March 14, 2016, 06:51:37 AM »
Pi is a Darren Aranofsky film.

Never saw The fountain or The Wrestler. I liked Requiem For a Dream but Noah was pure shite.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: March 14, 2016, 07:01:47 AM »
Never heard of him, and I've never seen any of his movies, so I have no frame of reference there.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1967 on: March 14, 2016, 07:31:07 AM »
Pi is crazy movie. Definitely worth watching.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1968 on: March 14, 2016, 08:22:26 AM »
The Good Dinosaur. Big Pixar fan, so I wanted to see this. It was pretty good. It didn't really feel all that special to me, but I guess it's just such a simple movie compared to most of their stuff. Inside Out was such an ambitious effort, this is very straightforward and simple. It had it's funny moments, but the best way I could describe it is a re-hash of The Lion King and Finding Nemo in one. It didn't feel very original, but it was still enjoyable. Probably at the bottom of the Pixar list though for me.

One thing I will say is aside from the cartoonish character style, everything else, the water, the mountains, trees, it looked absolutely gorgeous. They have really come far with their animation , but I'm kinda confused as to why all the backgrounds look amazing but the characters are so simple and plain looking. Maybe it was intentional, but it doesn't seem to really fit.

7/10

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1969 on: March 14, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »
The Fountain.  :justjen

my wife and I rented this movie on the evening of June 9th, 2007.  Never got to see it as she went into labor a couple hours later and our son was born early the next morning.

we ended up renting it again a couple years later.  bizarre film to say the least.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: March 14, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »
Never heard of him, and I've never seen any of his movies, so I have no frame of reference there.

Requiem is good.

Noah was total shite. Not because I'm a Christian or anything. I don't care about that. It's just a boring dull depressing movie with NO levity. It's a chore.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1971 on: March 14, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »
I'm not a christian either, but I know that Noah could have been a really interesting movie. It wasn't though. It's pretty bad.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1972 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:20 AM »
Requiem for a Dream and Pi are both excellent movies.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1973 on: March 14, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
Speaking of math films: any Cube fans? I liked the first one, but Hypercube is way cooler to me. I still have to watch the third movie, which sounds interesting.

(A similar movie I recently watched is Exam, from 2009; very good - pretty much the same as Cube, but with less blood and only one room.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:08:04 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1974 on: March 14, 2016, 11:54:56 AM »
Loved Cube.  Cube 2 not so much. Too silly and worse acting. Cube Zero was good too I thought.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: March 14, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
I've wanted to check it out for a long time, but never got around to it. Might have to fix that! :tup

And it has David Hewlett in it. That's enough for me.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1976 on: March 14, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »

Seriously?! I mean, not everybody has seen his stuff but he's pretty famous these days. Pi is awesome. Requiem is amazing and heartbreaking (one of my faves), The Wrestler and The Fountain are both great. Oh, and fucking Black Swan!
I haven't seen Noah, but don't really have a desire to.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1977 on: March 14, 2016, 07:07:30 PM »
10 Cloverfield Lane. - This was awesome. Seriously. John Goodman was excellent and so was Mary Winstead. It had a lot of super intense moments, and it was a really fun watch. The ending is cool as hell too. 9/10

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1978 on: March 14, 2016, 10:38:41 PM »

Seriously?! I mean, not everybody has seen his stuff but he's pretty famous these days. Pi is awesome. Requiem is amazing and heartbreaking (one of my faves), The Wrestler and The Fountain are both great. Oh, and fucking Black Swan!
I haven't seen Noah, but don't really have a desire to.

I've been half interested in seeing The Wrestler for a while only because I'm into wrestling, and we've had the DVD sitting around since it came out, but I haven't gotten around to it. They're not the kinds of movies that interest me, and I'm not big into typical movies. I'm very particular about the movies I watch and don't watch.

I just finished watching Indru Netru Naalai (Today, Yesterday, Tomorrow), a time travel movie. Quite good, and surprisingly no singing at all, which is a first for any Indian movie I've seen. As with every time travel movie, there are some logical/consistency problems with how time travel is applied, but that's to be expected, and it was a fun movie.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1979 on: March 14, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »
I can assure you that Pi, Requiem, Fountain, Wrestler and Black Swan are far from typical movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1980 on: March 14, 2016, 11:19:03 PM »
Meh. They're super not my kinds of movies either way.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1981 on: March 14, 2016, 11:55:27 PM »
I think Black Swan was in my top 10 movies ever at one point. It's probably still in my top 20.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1982 on: March 15, 2016, 12:01:08 AM »
The Fountain has time travel!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1983 on: March 15, 2016, 12:11:56 AM »
The Fountain is way too pretentious, and I tend to love pretentious stuff :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1984 on: March 15, 2016, 12:14:31 AM »
The Fountain has time travel!

No it doesn't.

........wait, maybe it does. Dammit!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: March 15, 2016, 09:32:36 AM »
Time Lapse (2014)

Very similar in premise to the old Twilight Zone episode about the camera that could take photos in the future, in this case a large camera that takes photos exactly 24 hours into the future into their living room. A great movie about causality with less than perfect characters. I saw some bad reviews for this movie, but I thought it was great throughout, and pretty tense from the start. I'd recommend this to any fans of time travel type movies.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1986 on: March 15, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »
For the First Time

The Aviator - Very good movie, but it did freak me out a bit because of how much of myself I saw in the Howard Hughes portrayed here. Felt weird for a day or two after seeing it. But it was a great movie.

Scarface - Another "classic" with an annoying ass main character who I don't and don't want to care about the slightest. Didn't care for this one. It was well written, as in well crafted dialogue and such, but it was a pain to get through, so ultimately it fails for me.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1987 on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »
Time Lapse (2014)

Very similar in premise to the old Twilight Zone episode about the camera that could take photos in the future, in this case a large camera that takes photos exactly 24 hours into the future into their living room. A great movie about causality with less than perfect characters. I saw some bad reviews for this movie, but I thought it was great throughout, and pretty tense from the start. I'd recommend this to any fans of time travel type movies.

Sounds interesting, thanks! Might watch it on the weekend.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: March 15, 2016, 11:03:39 AM »
Time Lapse (2014)

Sounds interesting, thanks! Might watch it on the weekend.

I'm downloading Cube right now, so we can consider it a trade. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1989 on: March 15, 2016, 11:45:44 AM »
It's very low budget and over acted but it's good :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1990 on: March 15, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »
I'm fine with low budget / indie (that movie I just watched was self funded), and I'm not super picky on acting. I care more about the script, and decent execution. I took a quick look at Cube, and the presentation looks more than fine for me, and it has actors that have been in Stargate/Trek, so I'm excited to see it.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1991 on: March 15, 2016, 06:20:19 PM »
I'm fine with low budget / indie (that movie I just watched was self funded), and I'm not super picky on acting. I care more about the script, and decent execution. I took a quick look at Cube, and the presentation looks more than fine for me, and it has actors that have been in Stargate/Trek, so I'm excited to see it.
Well, I just saw that Danielle Panabaker* is in Time Lapse, and I've always found her extremely gorgeous - she looks like a young Rachel Weisz :) So, bonus point for the movie there!

I couldn't find a working livestream for Maiden's show in Buenos Aires tonight, so right now I'm going to watch the movie.

Not saying you will, but if by any chance you happen to find Cube boring at times - which I do - give Hypercube a chance later: it effs up with time and space much more, so (from what I've read about your movie) I think you might like that.

*: I just realized 'Pan' is Spanish for 'bread', which is what 'a baker' produces. :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:26:28 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1992 on: March 15, 2016, 08:39:05 PM »
Scarface - Another "classic" with an annoying ass main character who I don't and don't want to care about the slightest. Didn't care for this one. It was well written, as in well crafted dialogue and such, but it was a pain to get through, so ultimately it fails for me.

What is this?  I don't even...

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1993 on: March 15, 2016, 09:03:19 PM »
I'm downloading Cube right now, so we can consider it a trade. :lol

OK, so I just finished watching Time Lapse. Wow! Great movie! I'm usually a bit slow when it comes to short, quick explanations of past events or flashbacks, so I had to pause the movie a couple of times to think about what had just happened. Still, overall easy to follow, and really addictive.

Having said that, the acting/dialogues felt weak to me - like too forced. But, great story/concept. Reminded me of Black Mirror (which I love).

A couple of things which caught my attention:

1. The party they hold at the beginning of the movie has already started by 8pm. Wow, Americans start parties way early! (in my country, parties usually start at 11pm at the very earliest - which I find annoying)

2. I'm not very creative when it comes to things left to the imagination. What do you think is on the last photo? If I understood correctly, I assume a day-time version of the photo with the "Police - Do Not Cross" warnings. Right?

3. I just discovered there are actually two Panabaker girls, which look exactly the same! Boy are they gorgeous :heart
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:45:04 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1994 on: March 15, 2016, 09:37:35 PM »

I feel the same.  Tony Montana was a horrible, despicable person who lived violently and died violently.  Conceptually, I can understand people admiring certain aspects of his character -- his single-mindedness, his vision, his ruthlessness -- but ultimately he was an evil, depraved man who got was what coming to him.  I watched it once and have absolutely no desire to see any of it ever again.  I'm not sure why feeling that way is considered a failure.  A failure to me would be actually enjoying watching stuff like that.