Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 563757 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1820 on: February 29, 2016, 05:40:13 AM »
Saw Room just before the award ceremony started last night. It was great, but it was more interesting than good though, and didn't make it onto my top 10 of the year. But I have to say that the "escape" scene is one of the most intense stuff I have ever seen.

I need to watch that one. I normally check out all of the Oscar films before the ceremony but was caught up in some other stuff.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1821 on: February 29, 2016, 06:42:26 AM »
Just finished our 9 week viewing of The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings extended films. Oh, and I saw Deadpool which was freaking amazing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1822 on: February 29, 2016, 06:51:00 AM »
Just finished our 9 week viewing of The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings extended films. Oh, and I saw Deadpool which was freaking amazing.

Wrong person to mention those trilogies in front of.   :lol  So which was your favorite of each trilogy?  Any favorite characters?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1823 on: February 29, 2016, 08:05:45 AM »

Wrong person to mention those trilogies in front of.   :lol  So which was your favorite of each trilogy?  Any favorite characters?

Hmm, favorite of each is hard. I've seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy tons of times but I still think my favorite is Fellowship. So many great moments. My favorite of the Hobbit films is tougher but I think I'd go with Battle of Five Armies. Once they added back all of the cut scenes it went from worst to first.

Gandalf is easily my favorite of all the films though I think every character was perfectly cast and the acting was flawless. My two favorite scenes are the Boromir death scene with Aragorn and when the Rohirim show up at the battle of Gondor. When the camera pans out to show all of the horsemen is just of of the coolest moments in any film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1824 on: February 29, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »
Return of the Living Dead :rollin
"I LOVE YOU!

I WANNA EAT YOUR BRAAAIIIIINNNNSSS!"

What a great movie.

I finally saw Whiplash.  Holy fuck, what an awesome, intense movie.  Simmons was very deserving of his Oscar, and Miles Teller wasn't quite the whiny bitch he usually comes across as.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1825 on: February 29, 2016, 10:44:29 AM »
I saw Return of the Living Dead on a first date. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1826 on: February 29, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »

Hmm, favorite of each is hard. I've seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy tons of times but I still think my favorite is Fellowship. So many great moments. My favorite of the Hobbit films is tougher but I think I'd go with Battle of Five Armies. Once they added back all of the cut scenes it went from worst to first.

Gandalf is easily my favorite of all the films though I think every character was perfectly cast and the acting was flawless. My two favorite scenes are the Boromir death scene with Aragorn and when the Rohirim show up at the battle of Gondor. When the camera pans out to show all of the horsemen is just of of the coolest moments in any film.

Good choices on all fronts. What I love about Fellowship most are actually the scenes in The Shire. That tranquil vision and those unending moments of elation as you temporarily live there with the hobbits are so endearing that it makes me want to live there forever. And personally, I think that's exactly how Gandalf feels. It's his fortress of solitude, so to speak, where he can hide from the rigors of his journey and forget for a moment that there is much peril in the world outside the Shire. That being said, those are the same reasons I love the beginning of The Hobbit trilogy. However my favorites from both are the concluding chapters. Return of the King is purely magical. Everything in that movie builds up, including the innumerable moments of danger in which the hobbits found themselves, to those five words that fill me with chills and bring tears to my eyes every damn time, "You bow to no one." At that moment, every pain, cut, wound, and scar they once felt is whisked away like leaves blown by the wind. Closing with one of the most heartfelt scenes I've ever seen on the movie screen, the Grey Havens. How Sean Astin did not win an Academy Award for that movie is beyond me.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1827 on: February 29, 2016, 12:39:28 PM »

Good choices on all fronts. What I love about Fellowship most are actually the scenes in The Shire. That tranquil vision and those unending moments of elation as you temporarily live there with the hobbits are so endearing that it makes me want to live there forever. And personally, I think that's exactly how Gandalf feels. It's his fortress of solitude, so to speak, where he can hide from the rigors of his journey and forget for a moment that there is much peril in the world outside the Shire. That being said, those are the same reasons I love the beginning of The Hobbit trilogy. However my favorites from both are the concluding chapters. Return of the King is purely magical. Everything in that movie builds up, including the innumerable moments of danger in which the hobbits found themselves, to those five words that fill me with chills and bring tears to my eyes every damn time, "You bow to no one." At that moment, every pain, cut, wound, and scar they once felt is whisked away like leaves blown by the wind. Closing with one of the most heartfelt scenes I've ever seen on the movie screen, the Grey Havens. How Sean Astin did not win an Academy Award for that movie is beyond me.

Also, one of my favorite things of all the movies is the score. Howard Shore created some of the most moving and emotional themes in cinema history. I doubt any other film franchise will have a better musical accompaniment,

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1828 on: February 29, 2016, 12:45:32 PM »

Also, one of my favorite things of all the movies is the score. Howard Shore created some of the most moving and emotional themes in cinema history. I doubt any other film franchise will have a better musical accompaniment,

Absolutely! I bought all of the extended soundtracks for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Return of the King is by far my favorite movie soundtrack. There is so much extra music on the extended CD.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1829 on: February 29, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »
to those five words that fill me with chills and bring tears to my eyes every damn time, "You bow to no one."

Exactly the same for me. One of many amazing moments from my favorite movie of all time.

I still haven't seen the extended version of Battle of the Five Armies, everyone keeps saying that it's better so I guess I'll have to check it out.

Return of the King is by far my favorite movie soundtrack. There is so much extra music on the extended CD.

Also agree wih this. The RotK score is so good it's basically another category than other movie scores for me.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1830 on: February 29, 2016, 01:21:48 PM »
to those five words that fill me with chills and bring tears to my eyes every damn time, "You bow to no one."

Exactly the same for me. One of many amazing moments from my favorite movie of all time.

I still haven't seen the extended version of Battle of the Five Armies, everyone keeps saying that it's better so I guess I'll have to check it out.

It does make the movie much more interesting. Even with some of the gripes I have with PJ's directing this time around, more Tolkien-based stuff is never a bad thing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1831 on: February 29, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »
What I love about Fellowship most are actually the scenes in The Shire. That tranquil vision and those unending moments of elation as you temporarily live there with the hobbits are so endearing that it makes me want to live there forever.

When I saw The Fellowship of the Ring in the theater the first time, I actually got tears in my eyes during those opening scenes.  Middle Earth, J.R.R. Tolkien's creation, was finally on the big screen and it looked amazing!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1832 on: February 29, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »
What I love about Fellowship most are actually the scenes in The Shire. That tranquil vision and those unending moments of elation as you temporarily live there with the hobbits are so endearing that it makes me want to live there forever.

When I saw The Fellowship of the Ring in the theater the first time, I actually got tears in my eyes during those opening scenes.  Middle Earth, J.R.R. Tolkien's creation, was finally on the big screen and it looked amazing!

I wept throughout both trilogies. I'm such a mush.  But yes, you're right. It was so amazing to finally behold.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1833 on: February 29, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »
I'm now watching the original TRON :)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1834 on: February 29, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »

I wept throughout both trilogies. I'm such a mush.  But yes, you're right. It was so amazing to finally behold.

There are some parts in the movies (basically Return of the King) that get me every time and I can't help but choke up a bit:

"I cannot carry the ring for you... but I can carry you"

"For Frodo"

"My friends... you bow to no one"

I almost get moved just by thinking of it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: February 29, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »

I saw that in the drive in with my parents with Cannonball Run as the first film.  Oh the memories.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1836 on: February 29, 2016, 04:42:45 PM »

There are some parts in the movies (basically Return of the King) that get me every time and I can't help but choke up a bit:

"I cannot carry the ring for you... but I can carry you"

"For Frodo"

"My friends... you bow to no one"

I almost get moved just by thinking of it.

You picked three excellent examples.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1837 on: February 29, 2016, 04:48:26 PM »

I saw that in the drive in with my parents with Cannonball Run as the first film.  Oh the memories.

I love both TRON movies.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1838 on: February 29, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »
The Return Of Nefertiti?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: February 29, 2016, 05:34:34 PM »
I liked the sequel. The storyline was interesting and the visuals were stunning.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1840 on: February 29, 2016, 05:55:35 PM »
Yeah, I quite liked it as well. I really love the visuals, and Jeff Bridges is a lot of fun. Not a masterstroke of storytelling, but I still enjoy it.

I understand why some don't, though.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1841 on: February 29, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »
After all the talk in the 'Sequels' thread, on Friday I decided to watch Wayne's World 2 one more time (I think the last time I had watched it was 2009). Such a cool movie!

As for more recent ones, I'm thinking The King's Speech (at my parents' in January) and In The Heart Of The Sea (also in January).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1842 on: February 29, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »
The King's Speech is one of my very favorites films  :hefdaddy

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1843 on: February 29, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »
"I LOVE YOU!

What a great movie.

:lol... and yes, Whiplash is awesome.

Please tell me you got some afterwards.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1844 on: March 01, 2016, 01:57:34 AM »
The King's Speech is one of my very favorites films  :hefdaddy

I remember enjoying this one a lot more than I thought I would.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1845 on: March 01, 2016, 02:33:38 AM »
Also, For the First Time

The Shining - Good movie that manages to be tense and scary without doing any damn jump scares. So that was great. The woman who played Wendy did a great job, and so did the kid. Nicholson is way over the top sometimes once he starts losing it, but I get that it was the point, so I'm not really counting it as a negative, just a comment.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: March 01, 2016, 04:13:53 AM »
"I LOVE YOU!

What a great movie.

:lol... and yes, Whiplash is awesome.

Please tell me you got some afterwards.

Brains? :lol

No I was a gentleman.   That was a few dates later. :eyebrows:

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1847 on: March 01, 2016, 08:07:51 AM »
:lol, awesome. And yes I meant brains.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1848 on: March 01, 2016, 08:22:21 AM »
No, king got no brains.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #1849 on: March 01, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »
Whiplash

Truly amazing
Seasons change and so can I

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1850 on: March 01, 2016, 10:47:04 AM »
No, king got no brains.

:lol

What the hell quote is this from.  It's bothering me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1851 on: March 01, 2016, 11:34:18 AM »
No, king got no brains.

:lol

What the hell quote is this from.  It's bothering me.
It's from me.  You just quoted me.

Damn, king.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1852 on: March 01, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »
No, it's reads like a line from a movie like you changed the wording a bit.

Anywho it was funny.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1853 on: March 01, 2016, 11:56:37 AM »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1854 on: March 01, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »
For the First Time

Eyes Wide Shut - Would have been my favorite Kubrick movie if it had had a proper ending. I'm all for open endings, but it has to actually be an ending, and I felt that this wasn't one.

It definetely doesn't feel like 2 and a half hours though. I was interested enough to still expect another hour or whatever once it ended.